Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
127 registered (accordeur, AnneJ, ajames, acollins, 34 invisible), 1842 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1055290 - 02/23/06 04:27 PM New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Come on everyone, it's time to "refresh" the piano bar and post up some new songs. Remember, anything goes here, so don't be bashfull! It's also a great way to get used to public performing.

Here are a couple of real simple but very nice songs. The first is titled "The ludlows" from the
legends of the fall soundtrack. The second is the very familiar "Maria" from West side story.

www.pinnaclepeakllamaranch.com/Ludlows.mp3

www.pinnaclepeakllamaranch.com/MariaWestSideStory.mp3

More songs wanted!!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1055291 - 02/23/06 10:45 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Hello, MR S-H (or anyone else) ..

I am answering your call and have a song in SaveFile to post in the Piano Bar but do not know how to go about it. Can someone please advise? Thanks,

Balladeer

#1055292 - 02/23/06 10:47 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

#1055293 - 02/24/06 09:22 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

I think I have figured out how to to post this song (with a little help from my friends).... we'll see..

This is my interpretation of the "Phantom of the Opera" It may not be exactly what you are used to hearing, but some of you may find it interesting. I find Lloyd Webber songs to be very expressive, and when I grow up I would like to be able to deliver that expression.
http://www.savefile.com/files/2078092

Balladeer

#1055294 - 02/24/06 10:49 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
 Quote:
.... but some of you may find it interesting....
'Interesting?!' [/b] - that was a hell of a lot more than "interesting" - that was superb! The interpretation was completely unique, and before I listened I was thinking 'how is this going to work for solo piano?', but it only took for the first few notes to emerge that I was captivated.

I think it is an understatement to say that you are hugely talented!

{falls to the floor making the 'We're not worthy' gesture}

Have you got anything more like this?!

Once again, that was amazing!

#1055295 - 02/24/06 10:58 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

...and Mr S-H - another 2 fantastic recordings from you. I had heard the second piece before, but I especially liked the Legends of the Fall piece. Very nice!

Will need to post a few more to keep up with you... ;\)

#1055296 - 02/24/06 11:34 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Balladeer

I agree with Euan...I'm joining him on the floor!

When I grow up...I want to sound like you!

I may have to buy a voodoo doll of you ;\)

I'm hoping the hunkmeister thinks that this one sounds a lot like me too ;\) \:D

More! (applause)

Lee

#1055297 - 02/24/06 11:42 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
Oh My Goodness! Balladeer, if I didn't know for a fact that you've only been playing for two years, I would have assumed you were a classical pianist of the first order with this piece. AMAZING!

With this song, I can now believe Mike when he says one of the goals is to be able to sell our music. I WOULD BUY THIS!!! It almost brought tears to my eyes.

S-H is going to have to stock up on voodoo dolls if this keeps up.

#1055298 - 02/24/06 11:48 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hunkster

I don't know the first one but you made me really enjoy it \:D

However, Maria was good but, that is a powerful emotional song from my distant memory of the film...I think you could get more drama out of it, can you do it? I'm sure you can ;\) (...just kickin my thoughts around with ya)

regards

Lee \:\)

#1055299 - 02/24/06 11:51 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Hi Balladeer.

I so want to hear you (and also to post something).... but I'm unable to from this computer today...(at the office - another desk in fact).... I will make a note to listen, though...

and I also want to post something up in the piano bar... so perhaps you can clue me in on how to go about that.... (take your time).

I'm sure you did a great job.

BTW: I can't hear anybody at this computer today.... so I'm not playing favourites (okay Euan, Schmoe (what a name ) & Hunk ;\)

Best to ya,
Sharon \:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7-qjprix4

#1055300 - 02/24/06 12:06 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Balladeer, your "phantom" arrangement was creative and intriguing. You may not have seen this ad in the nonclassical pianist forum , but you would be a SHOO-IN for this solo pianist job. (I would've applied, but my repertoire consists of about one hour's worth of pieces, and I figure they'd get pretty sick of my one hour repeated forty times a week. :p )

Super-hunky, I loved the "Legends of the Fall" piece. I can tell you've been working on your new and revised system...the left hand sounded quite different than your earlier improvised works.

p.s. Good idea to start a new thread for the piano bar. I was thinking just last night it might not be a bad idea to have a new one every month, e.g., "Piano Bar March 2006" etc.

#1055301 - 02/24/06 12:09 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Balladeer:

You just crushed my super-huge ego like a halloween pumpkin on the street!.....I HATE YOU!!

Darnit, now I have to go back out tody and buy more materials to make a Balladeer "Voo-Doo" doll like the one I have for Seaside-Lee.

That Phantom rendition was absolutelly AMAZING!. Fantastic job Mr. Super-Balladeer! You have single handedly put to rest any skepticizm regarding my opinion of the Piano magic method as that song was just incredible.

Now, you will feel an occasional "stinging" and "numbing" sensation in your fingers from time to time, but don't be too concerned, its just me poking your little voo-doo doll with sharp pins!

The pain goes away after a while and does'nt come back until I hear your songs again!!...ask Lee!! ;\)

#1055302 - 02/24/06 12:18 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Holey Moley! I feel like it's my birthday!! I wasn't exactly expecting this response - but yur' darn tootin' I'll take it!!

Euan, you had the very thought I did initially - how can a piano compete with an organ? Maybe an experienced player could make a run at it, but I'm not in that league and decided in favor of trying to create a little different sound and feeling... seems to have worked to a degree. I am humbled by your words. Thanks

Lee - get up off the floor! ;\) You know you have played a key part in my learning over these 2 years and I thank you!

... and Bob, yes, this is 2 years of PianoMagic pure and simple - I don't know any other way. ( of course for the first year, I followed Seaside Lee off in all sorts of wild directions and paid little attention to Mike's program on Lee's advice ;\) ) I am more than pleased that you enjoyed the piece. Thank you for the high compliment. By the way, you are doing great and showing real promise already!

Thanks to all..

Balladeer

Thanks to

#1055303 - 02/24/06 12:43 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
of course for the first year, I followed Seaside Lee off in all sorts of wild directions and paid little attention to Mike's program on Lee's advice
Funny

(but, yeah I know, oops sorry \:\) )

And By the way my "local African Witchdoctor" sells anti-voodoo doll rings...I can get you one if you like ;\)

Lee

#1055304 - 02/24/06 01:48 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Hello, Monica and Mr S-H

Monica, I think you have mistaken me for someone who knows what he is doing! Right now, I'm just having a good time and learning as I go. The gig thing does appear to be a remote possibility for the future and I very much appreciate the info you provided. When I can sit down and roll out about 3 hours worth of non stop off the cuff tunes, and take requests, then I'll be ready. Thanks for the compliment!

OK, "Hunkster" - ( is it OK to call you that?) - I have just returned from the mall on Seaside's advice (again). Typing is a little difficult with these steel reinforced neoprene gloves, and my goggles keep fogging up, but I'll persevere with this post ;\)

First, I would like to commend you on the pieces you just entered. Once again, you have delivered these tunes in your own style which I find quite refreshing. From reading your posts, it is clear that you have found the one and only secret to playing beautifully ... and that would be to do what works for you. We humans are an eclectic bunch and no one learning style is going to satisfy a majority. It all depends on what you[/b] want out of your playing. Once ya' figure that out, you'll find the best way for you[/b] to make it happen - precisely what you have done! It is extremely interesting to read your own description of what you do - and it is a pleasure to listen to you play \:D

I am tickled that you enjoyed this piece of mine. I'm beginning to get a weird sensation in my neck now, so I must go and put the collar back on.

Balladeer

#1055305 - 02/24/06 02:25 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
JerryG Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
Balladeer, that was great, for someone who had been playing for about 20 years, for someone with only 2 years training, it was fantastic. Am going to sign up at Pianomagic.

I would like to know what instrument you were playing. Keyboard, if so what kind, or acoustic piano. The sound from the instrument was quite good and clear. What program did you use in the recording.

#1055306 - 02/24/06 02:43 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Hi, Jerry -

Thanks for the warm words! Happy you enjoyed the music.

I have a Roland KR-7. I have a single line out of the Roland going into the soundcard (soundblaster). I record to the Roland's memory. Then I playback from the Roland into a program called "Cakewalk." I then use Cakewalk to convert to mp3. I think I can also make wav files from that to but I have never had the need. I am seriously computer challenged, and avoid anything I don't need to know about! ;\)

Balladeer

#1055307 - 02/24/06 03:57 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
Balladeer-

Umm- WOW! That was a wonderful interpretation of Phantom! What you managed to do right there is one of the things I would dearly love to be able to do "someday"- take a favorite song and make it mine, by trying something a little different from the commonly heard arrangement. That was beautiful. *applause*

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#1055308 - 02/24/06 04:12 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Oh my god, Balladeer, you are making my head EXPLODE!! I too am playing on a Roland KR-7!! How weird is that.

I do have a magnificent new Mason and Hamlin "A", however, all of my recordings have been done on the digital Roland because it is just so easy!!.

Now, Balladeer. I DOUBLE hate you!!.. (not kidding!!). Heres why:

I have been trying and trying and trying yet again to be able to play in a totally unique, expressive style not only performing my "own" rendition of a song, but also my own "interpretation" of it as well.

By that, I mean, not just play the song correctly (the right notes and so forth), but to express my own "feelings" through the way that I perform it.

I want to be able to play a song in a way that can actually bring a tear from the listeners eye because they find and "feel" the song to be just so beutifull!.

Sure, this is sounding a little gay, but I'm not kidding (and NOT gay!!).. Note: I WILL smack you (or anyone) in the head with a rusty pipe if I have to so don't make fun of me!

Anyway, Balladeer, your performance and rendition of that song is exactly what I am so badly trying to accomplish.... Darnit!!

I thought that I was doing okay with my hokey- home-made method of playing, but now I realize that it definitely has its limitations.

I want a "fuller-richer" more sophisticated sound to my music, not just more of the same crappy semi improvised easy scores with a few extra notes added in.!

I am really "flustered" right now!. I have been in this situation a few times before and I always do the same thing to get out of it; that is to go into hybernation for a while with a totally open mind and re-think the entire situation!

I really like my method of using written music as my guide, however, I want to be able to add the really full and rich fill ins as you do.

Give me a day or two to find a really nice song in my compilation book and I will give it yet another try to make it sound rich and full....and "my own". I don't need to practice it much, as if I don't get it right away,...I never will.

I am really jealous of you Balladeer and I am not going to run and hide! YOU and your playing style is what I am after!!

Now, I'm sure you understand based on all my other wacky posts that I really don't actually hate you!, and that I say things like that just to get a reaction, but my jealousy for you and your playing IS REAL!! (This time, actually NOT kidding~!)

You have inspired me to do better....MUCH better! I am no longer so easily satisfied with my lame fakebook crap; something is going to change!

I'll be heading into my little tunnel tonight and not coming out until I can find something to rival your performance, or at least the best I can possibly do.

If this is'nt inspiration or motivation then I don't know what is!!

BTW, for anyone else reading this thread, I am sane enough to realize that this forum is not intended to make a "competition" out of its members. I am NOT actually trying to "compete" with Baladeer (or anyone else for that matter), but I am now so incredibly inspired and motivated to try harder that something good just has to come out of this.

If the intended purpose of the AB forum is too support and encourage its members to try harder and do better, well then it certainly has accomplished its intended goal.............................(walking off with piano book in hand, heading towards cave.)

#1055309 - 02/24/06 04:21 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Let's see, Superman had his "Fortress of Solitude", does Super-Hunky have his "Lean-to of Solitude" out there on the ranch? Maybe with a long extension cord so he can plug his Roland in? \:\)

#1055310 - 02/24/06 04:47 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Monica K. Offline

hmmm...super-hunky, for an easy going guy you sure have your bursts of self-criticism!

As for me, my goal is to one day play as good as your "lame fakebook crap" , which I want to stress is definitely NOT lame and NOT crap!! I still play your "Lake Erie Rainfall" nearly every day as I gnash my teeth at my inability to get my own rendition of it up to anything approaching the proper tempo.

...say, do you think if I[/b] bought a Roland KR-7 that I'd be able to play like you guys, too?

#1055311 - 02/24/06 07:47 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Balladeer,

I imagined myself sitting in the audience watching you on stage. I love all those extras you do with the song. You played this so well.

Phantom of the Opera - Magnificent!

Sharon

#1055312 - 02/24/06 08:27 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Mr. S-H.

I think your rendition of Maria sounded really nice. You're really good...and always improving... and you may have better ideas now of the fuller sound you're after.

Gee whiz - I better go practice now.

Sharon \:\)

BTW: This place continues to inspire.

#1055313 - 02/25/06 01:56 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Hi Sharon, IrishMak and Mr Super Hunky...

Sharon, I am imagining you[/b] on the stage the way you are progressing! Thanks.

Mak, very glad you enjoyed it - I'm sure that in due time you will make songs your own too. Just experiment and go with your gut. What's the worst that can happen!

Now, Mr S-H - you are cracking me up with these posts!! Hey, and the coincidences are becoming scary! Roland KR-7 ... the thing nearly plays itself!! ;\) As for the Mason, this saddens me more than I can say. I am just a little Kansas farm boy in the middle of about 2 million acres of wheat. I only get to come in from the fields occasionally to take a spin on the Roland. As far as digitals go I think it is unparalleled, but my heart cries for an acoustic... oh, my how it cries! I have gone into the city and shopped for pianos the last year or so. Just any old piano isn't going to do... but the Masons and Steinways I have had my hands on would do nicely! \:D I played on a Mason last week which had one of those big "wagon-wheel" devices under it which keeps tension where it should be. The tone was as warm as butter. I'm not normally jealous, but I might make an exception here ;\) When I grow up, I'm gonna have one of those things!

Your description of what you want to do with your music (and will do) defines an artist as opposed to a performer. There are many great performers. I will never be one. I do think, however, that I can develop into a decent artist. I also think that is where you are headed. You mentioned that you want to "bring a tear to the eye" of the listener .... I want to rip their hearts out - but oh so gently!

Forget the 'gay thing' (shhess!) - in my estimation a man's real strength can be measured by his capacity to feel - and to express those feeling thru your piano music is, to me, the pinnacle of achievement. When I first began to play I knew that I wanted to play with power, passion, and poignancy - that is still the goal, and always will be. For me[/b] , there is no other reason to play. From your posts, I get the feeling you are in the same mindset.

Now as for your so called "hokey-homemade method" .. it's pretty darned slick if you ask me - and you have already used it to produce some very sweet music. I obviously don't have the answers to all this stuff, but I've got some thoughts and ideas I will share here and maybe we can kick them around.

The place where you and I want to go is not going to be reached by directly[/b] applying any[/b] method. The chosen method is only the vehicle which will lead to the freedom required to play in this manner. The freedom[/b] is the key - freedom from the constraints of reading - freedom from the constraints of thinking specifically about the notes and the chords. I think when a player truly lays his or her heart out there it is usually because he or she has reached a point in playing where the conscious thought process is minimal...

Brother ... this is getting way deep - sorry! Anyway, I think you get the message. So while you're in hybernation (shess again!) give a little thought to how you might free yourself up a little more.. (and when you figure that out, let me know so I can be more free too!)

The written music (or lead sheets) are a bit of a sticky issue. I will still use them on occasion when initially working on a tune I don't know well, but I get away from them as soon as I can. It used to be a memory thing, and is slowing evolving into a feel thing and and ear thing. Trying to work out a few tunes you do already know without any written aid might surprise you. You might give that a shot while you're in the "tunnel!"

This is[/b] all about inspiring each other. That is why I am already enjoying this forum immensely. All the folks seem helpful - and happy to be helpful - not to mention talented! I am inspired by all the participants and only hope that I can contribute to what you have going here.

Balladeer

#1055314 - 02/25/06 02:34 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

it's 12:30 a.m right now,and boy what a day I had!

What a very nice post Baladeer. This is what its all about!!

I'll talk more in the morning....I'm bushed!

#1055315 - 02/25/06 06:14 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Euan

I have just listened to both recordings the only thing wrong with them is they are too short!! ;\)

Boy, you left me wanting more

Simply beautiful

If you could just cure that hiss I'd listen to them in my car \:D

regards

Lee

#1055316 - 02/25/06 08:32 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Seaside.

The problem is - the pieces are short to begin with, so unless I start improvising (which ain't gonna happen \:\) ), then they have to be short.

Am currently addressing the issue of backround hiss / interference.

I tried downloading samples of programs that claim to reduce hiss, but although they did to a certain extent, the quality of the piano sound fell badly.

Bob Muir mentioned running the laptop on battery - unfortunately my laptop is stone-age, and refuses to charge the battery, so mains is the only option (I refuse to pay $60 for a new battery when the computer itself is worth less)

So am thinking the best thing may be to dismantle and carry the piano upstairs, to a full-size PC on 'recording days'. Will that help to reduce backround noise? What do all the digital piano players do? I will get the option of plugging direct into the soundcard, hopefully that will help (although I'm worried about 'fan noise')

#1055317 - 02/25/06 08:57 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
JerryG Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
Balladeer,

I would like to know if Mike teaches how to make the improvisations I hear in your playing or is it something you worked out on your own, or derived from others on the Pianomagic forum.

Basically my question boils down to the extent, beyond basic melody and chord in the base, that is taught in the method. Does he actually give you techniques to add chord progressions during the dead spaces when the melody is not moving. Does he tell you what chord progesssions work and why? Does the method teach you how to add to basic chords with color tones and what color tones work and don't work.

#1055318 - 02/25/06 10:03 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Hi, Jerry..

Some mighty big questions ... and the answers will probably surprise you.

There are no improvisations[/b] in the piece you just heard! In fact, I have played this piece using only 5 chords all the way to the finish. (For a more dramatic ending, I did raise the key a couple of times, but the entire piece is essentially just a few chords). What listeners hear as improvisations are nothing more than decorations based on the chords I am playing.... and this[/b] is the most critial point... Because I have learned from PM how the music thinks and what it is likely to do next, I have freed up the brainpower needed to focus on expressing myself through these decorations[/b] Granted, I have a long way to go, but, I think I am making progress. I also think anyone can do this.

Regarding chord progressions, Mike teaches you how[/b] to understand them and why[/b] they go where they go. Once you understand that then you do not need Mike or anyone else to tell you how to proceed - you will know[/b] . Then - and only[/b] then - can you make the music your own.

Remember, I am just a beginning student. Mike would be the one to go into greater detail. He would be glad to talk to you or anyone else.

Balladeer

#1055319 - 02/25/06 03:18 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Tomas Offline

Well I'm going to take some time today and listen to the pieces already posted in here, and add one of my own.

I've been refining this piece for the past week or so - I was playing it way too slow and not smooth enough in certain parts before.

Chopin\'s Prelude in E Minor

#1055320 - 02/25/06 03:33 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Hi, Tomas ...

Chopin's nocturnes, and a few of his other works - including this one - are among my classical favorites.

You played this very evenly and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks.

Balladeer

#1055321 - 02/25/06 03:45 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Tomas Offline

Wow, very nice touch S-H. Both pieces sound beautiful, natural, flowing.

Euan, I like the sound of both pieces very much. Watching Lara sounds flawless. Excellent.

The Fur Elise sounds nice Schmoe, it flows and you have the crescendo's down very well. Smooth out some of the transitions and it'll be perfect. Moonlight sounds very musical, especially considering where you're at with it. It must be very rewarding to have such a long and challenging piece down well like that.

Balladeer - Wow. Very nice. You must have a finely tuned sense of timing. It really sounds perfect.

#1055322 - 02/25/06 03:51 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Tomas Offline

I'm glad you enjoyed this one Balladeer.

And you've read my mind with Chopin's preludes and nocturnes - I began working on B Minor a few days ago and would like to do his Posthoumus nocturne after that if I'm capable.

#1055323 - 02/25/06 04:20 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Tomas, I just downloaded and listened to your song. Once again, I think your playing is just amazing, especially for how short a time you have been playing.

you are in total control over the tempo and speed of the music. You remind me a lot of Rocky who also has great timing, control and has not been playing that long.

Now tomas...come clean. Have you REALLY only been playing two months? Your skill level seems WAY more advanced than that! Also, I see you are playing a Bosendorfer....hmm not exactly a "beginer" piano!!

Don't take my "prying" the wrong way tomas, I'm just asking what everyone else is probably thinking! If you really have only been playing for 2-months, you are an absolutely gifted talent that should pursue a career in music.

I am not doubting you, I'm really just amazed at your talent level. Besides, most people don't take the things I say seriously anyway!!

;\)

#1055324 - 02/25/06 04:20 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

This is my offering at the "Piano Bar" (this month). It was recorded after one month with PMMO. Before that, I never really played piano.

The song is Amazing Grace.

(quickly - I am now with PMMO 5 months...)

Sharon..... \:\)

File uploaded and reachable from the following project:
http://www.savefile.com/projects/810283

If you want to link directly to the file:
http://www.savefile.com/files/7256013

#1055325 - 02/25/06 04:37 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Hi sharon;

I just listened to both of your song versions and I can definitely hear your improvement.

your bass (left hand) is nicely complimenting your right hand melody together. you should keep updated copies around to hear your progress every few months or so as this is the best inscentive of all.

BTW, for some reason, on my computer speakers, your song sounds like it is being played on a harpsichord. This is one of my favorite instruments as it has a certain unique sound to it. I'm probably guessing however that you are not playing one.

I wonder if its something in my speakers or just the way its recorded. Its a very beutifull sound but much different than some of the others I've heard.... Just wondering!

#1055326 - 02/25/06 04:43 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, that's what I play - a harpsicord. NOT (Like Lurch on the Addams Family). :p

1. I am very, very glad you were able to hear it.

2. It's definitely played on a piano Casio PX100 (for the time being).

3. It's a midi file.

4. I would prefer sending Mp3 (like you guys do) but don't know how right now.

5. Thank you very much for the nice compliments.... yes, I agree there is improvement... in fact... i was told that the short arps weren't exactly right... and have since fixed that problem.

Thanks, man.... very, very, very cool! \:D

Sharon

#1055327 - 02/25/06 04:44 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Hunkster and everyone

Okay I've been locked away in the tallest tower at Seaside Towers for oooh lets see?.... an hour!

and I've come up with these 2 for you Mr S-H

Since listening to the classical pieces in the recital I've been watching ClassicFM TV and there is this violin version of this song which I like a lot

So No1 is:-

A Time For Us (Love Theme From Romeo & Juliet) in Seaside Minor (LOL)

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=7118690

and No2 is:-

Georgia On My Mind

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=9945150

As Balladeer would say "you may find them interesting" (LOL) (now if I could just play like him too ;\) )

regards

Lee

#1055328 - 02/25/06 04:48 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: In a state full of Volcanoes
I am so disappointed.I love A.L. Webber music and the file wouldn't fly to my computer and sing to me. It sounds like it is a very good recording Balladeer made from the comments I am reading here. My computer is a dinosaur. I need to get a faster computer soon. My favorite A.L. W. tune is "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again". I usually play and sing that one for Memorial Day gigs.

*Can someone convert that "Phatom" file by Balladeer file to a file like Mr. Superhunky is using, or post it in another place I can access it. Or send it to me privately. I reallllllllly want to hear it.

My old and very slow computer doesn't seem to let me hear anything posted at savefile.com. That website has so many pop ups ads that everything comes to a halt whenever I try to download anything there. Mr. Super Hunkys files come up fairly quicky with the good old Windows player. But at savefile.com the files the Phantom song file or a player that plays it never came up, and froze up my screen to the point I gave up. I tried loading with the pop up stopper both on and off... no sucess.

I have no problem opening Mr. Super_Hunky's recordings. I enjoyed hearing them.

I will have to get a nice stage digital that will allow me to do recordings too. I am envious of the fun you guys are having sharing your music recordings.

But I think I will also need a better computer down the road also that won't choke on big files, numerous slow loading pop up windows. And eventually need to get broadband (my computer system cannot do braodband without an expensive upgrade).

*BTW anyone working on that "Learn to be Lonely" song from the Phantome of the Opera movie? Lovely song, I am looking for the sheet music for that one. It is a lovely solo for a vocalist.

Quote:
Originally posted by Balladeer:
I think I have figured out how to to post this song (with a little help from my friends).... we'll see..

This is my interpretation of the "Phantom of the Opera" It may not be exactly what you are used to hearing, but some of you may find it interesting. I find Lloyd Webber songs to be very expressive, and when I grow up I would like to be able to deliver that expression.

Balladeer [/b]

#1055329 - 02/25/06 04:53 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Sharon

Just played your midi file through my casio and you are okay it sounds like a piano (and downloaded in like a flash too)

Hmmmm, I better get back to the towers quick and practise some more you are doing great and I hear improvement too...don't want you catching me up ;\)

#1055330 - 02/25/06 05:12 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hey Seaside.

My comments are as follows:

A Time For Us - very poignant, even a bit romantic. :p Good length on the song...wanted it to continue and wasn't disappointed. Ballroom dancable.

Georgia on My Mind - very nice... Both melodies full bodied sound... nice expression and breathing room to both.

But, however did you find an hour of seclusion to practice?

Sharon

#1055331 - 02/25/06 05:14 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Seaside.

Sharon

#1055332 - 02/25/06 05:23 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

#1055333 - 02/25/06 05:27 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Tomas Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
Tomas, I just downloaded and listened to your song. Once again, I think your playing is just amazing, especially for how short a time you have been playing.

you are in total control over the tempo and speed of the music. You remind me a lot of Rocky who also has great timing, control and has not been playing that long.

Now tomas...come clean. Have you REALLY only been playing two months? Your skill level seems WAY more advanced than that! Also, I see you are playing a Bosendorfer....hmm not exactly a "beginer" piano!!

Don't take my "prying" the wrong way tomas, I'm just asking what everyone else is probably thinking! If you really have only been playing for 2-months, you are an absolutely gifted talent that should pursue a career in music.

I am not doubting you, I'm really just amazed at your talent level. Besides, most people don't take the things I say seriously anyway!!

;\) [/b]
Well firstly I am glad that you liked my song!

It's really more towards three months since I started playing now, but really I don't think Prelude in E minor is that advanced of a piece to be playing?? Keep in mind that I'm learning this song from sheet music, not improvising like yourself, which I imagine makes things go quite a bit quicker.

And if you don't believe me, I can send you a recording of E Minor I made last week - I misread tons of notes on the sheet music and also played the right hand of the last two bars G clef instead of C clef!

The piano belongs to my family, I only own the P90. They never played it, only use it for PianoDisc, and when I was staying at the house just had a friend of mine teach me how to play. Little did I know that I'd really enjoy it! Like I said in the recital thread, I am obsessive and will spend hours working at something until I get it right. Piano seems pretty conducive to that learning style sooo, seems a good fit.

And a career in music?! When I can play like this guy I will consider it.

#1055334 - 02/25/06 05:30 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thought you were in your cave? ;\)

#1055335 - 02/25/06 05:51 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

HaHa, no Lee, yesterday was cave day!

The one nice thing about "fake books" is that each one contains over 1000 songs! LITERALLY.

Anything and everything is available at a moments notice! If you can play one, you can play them all, however,this is where the "cafeteria food" taste or playing comes in; They all start sounding the same.

Tomas, Okay, you "passed" my inquiry. "obsessive" people like yourself seem to always excell the quickest. It is (in my opinion) a very good quality to have as long as you can keep it in check!

I can get really obsessive on certain things and go way overboard very easily. You seem to have a natural talent for not just playing the piano, but performing on it.

Keep it up and stay active here on the forum.

#1055336 - 02/25/06 06:35 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas:
And a career in music?! When I can play like this guy I will consider it. [/QB]
Kewl, Tomas! Kool! \:D

#1055337 - 02/25/06 09:42 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by s54mo827:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas:
And a career in music?! When I can play like this guy I will consider it. [/b]
Kewl, Tomas! Kool! \:D

Sharon \:\) [/QB]
Agreed! - that and Richter's Revolutionary Etude are my 2 fav piano videos of all time!

#1055338 - 02/26/06 02:04 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Hello, Lee

"A Time For Us" was simply splendid ... start to finish. Period. \:D A great opening,..pretty little spot about :37-:40 ...Nice breath at 1:08 followed by a full sound around 1:11 ... beautiful, graceful backing away around 1:30 .... 2:10-2:14-lovely ... and a gorgeous ending.

This had flare and kept my interest throughout. Beautifully done! \:\) Now where is that doll store? ;\)

Balladeer

#1055339 - 02/26/06 07:26 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Hunkster (and anyone else reading this thread)

I have slept on this over night

Quote:
Now you also spurred a new idea:

Dueling Piano's !!!
To be honest I was a little angry with you yesterday...but, thought it best to think it over before I posted a response to you.

This thread was created by *you* to invite people to post their music for all to share and enjoy and hopefully give some of the other beginners or ones that missed the recital a chance to play without the pressure of say a recital (just for fun so to speak)...yes?

It is you that has asked for "more music" and I have gladly taken the time to record something and post it for enjoyment (by others) or critique (for my benefit) but, it was also with a view to letting you hear something that may help you achieve what you are trying to achieve at the moment? (i.e. expression and phrasing, the next time that you are in "your cave").

However, if you or I are going to challenge every piece that is posted here to see if we can play it better?, then I think that will discourage the exact thing you were trying to create.

Everyone is supposed to be sharing in the fun here...lets not spoil it ;\)

Thoughts anyone?

Thankyou so much Balladeer, I dont really know what to say? so I'll just say - "thanks" \:D

#1055340 - 02/26/06 08:55 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Firstly, Lee - that was simply awesome! Another piece that kept me stunned for the entire duration. I love these mushy love songs!

As for the S-H - I really don't think his intentions were to turn this into a competition or anything. Maybe the phrase Dueling Piano's was not the best, but I only viewed it as a bit of harmless fun (then again, it wasn't my attempts being replicated!).

If anything, you are both regular posters, and fun guys, so I see it kinda like if BB King and Eric Clapton sat together and started jamming. One plays a lick, the other copies it, and essentially they start 'trading licks'. Its competitve in a friendly way, so to speak - just a couple of people doing what they love best.

I'm sure Hunky will see your side of the story and understand.

p.s. is that song used on Classic Fm 'Your Song', I think its 12noon on a Sunday? That thing were they tell tales of love lost, and longing to get back together etc (sorry if you have no idea what I'm talking about!). It sounded familiar, thats all.

#1055341 - 02/26/06 09:42 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
sirch59 Offline

Hi BDLR

It felt like I just turned on the radio
to NPR Saturday afternoon at the Opera!!

That's the true test!

VERY well done Sir!

#1055342 - 02/26/06 10:36 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Thanks, Sirch .. next one I'm gonna use two hands on! ;\)

Balladeer

#1055343 - 02/26/06 11:46 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Euan.

Just listened to Watching Lara - you keep a steady L/H rhythm. Spooky, interesting song.
Nice.

#1055344 - 02/26/06 12:57 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Seaside Lee:

I just read your response to my post and contrary to what you may think, I am NOT upset with you OR your response!

You see Lee, the opposite of love is not hate, but rather "apathy". Apathy means that you don't even have an emotion or feelings for someone else but instead you just don't care about them like as if they don't even exist.

This is NOT the case with you however, nor is it with me. We BOTH have an extreme amount of passion for our love of music and also the piano. You don't ever have to tell me this as I know it by how involved you are with your piano magic courses as well as how active you are on these and other piano forums.

So, now that leaves us with two very passionate people wanting to do the same things (play piano and share our music) in the same place (the piano forums)

Normally, this in not a problem, (and probably won't be in the future), but it is possible that every once in a while tensions could flare up a bit....especially between the two very similar people!... competitiveness???... honestly?, probably.

Lee, you don't "really" know me as I don't "really" know you, no-one really does. but outside this piano forum, we are both probably very very similar individuals. We are both similar in age (I'm almost 40!) both have similar interests ( you own a gym, I used to be extremely active in many sports as well as bobybuilding) and we both seem to have an accelerated passion for learning and performing on the piano.

When you have so much in common, that can be a really good thing, however, it could also create some conflict.

Lee, I believe that you and I may possibly have reached that point where the "conflict alarm bell" is starting to ring! this would be caused by one of the two members in question (me and you) probably stepping over the competitive line; and that person to breach this line was me!

Lee, what you did was to post a beutifull song that you had recorded (a time for love from Romeo and Juliet). I very much enjoyed your song but rather than compliment you on the nice job that you did, a thought occured to me instead. To myself, I realized that this was a very popular song and i wondered if I too could play it.

Long story short, I looked it up in my fakebook collection and found it and without even an ounce of a further thought, quickly went to play it and record it.

As you know, my "version" of this song was posted in a reply to you in a matter of 5-minutes.

Two things happened, one good and one bad.

1.) what I tried to do (and did) was show to you and others how incredibly easy it is to play from fakebooks once you know how. I wanted to show that in just a matter of a few minutes, I was able to perform this song as well via the fakebook method. Someone who can read from fakebooks can do this literally with just about ANY song, usually in just a few minutes as well.

I though that this would be the ultimate impromptu way to dispaly this ability as your version of the song was just posted, with my version being posted in just a matter of minutes later.

I had accomplished what I set out to do, (that being showing how fast that this particular method of playing can work.) Unfortunatelly, I did this at your expense.

2.) The "bad" thing was as I just mentioned, I totally displayed complete disregard for your song and all the work that went into it. In fact, I may have actually "discounted" your piece by so quickly posting another version of it on my own.

While I can understand how two competitive people could get in this situation, it still does not cancel out the fact that in this particular situation, I was just flat out "wrong"!!

Lee, please understand that my true "intent" was NOT and never has been to discount your recordings. REALLY!. My "true" intent was that of recognizing an opportunity to show how fast someone can learn and play a song via a particular method.

Unfortunatelly, I did this with complete disregard for your feelings and respect of your work; for this I am really really sorry.

Anyone who has followed this thread can most likely see what happened as clear as day. It's not really a hard call to make!, Super-Hunky got a little excited when he saw an opportunity and, well basically "F"-ed up!. This one backfired!

Lee, out of respect to you and your song,I have deleated my song entirely. As I have stated, my intentions were completelly misconstrued but that was my fault. Looking back at this from your perspective, I can certainly empathise with you that, while not intended to be, my post reply to you may have been in bad taste!

Like I said Lee, the fact that you've been mulling this over for a day now before responding even further convinces me of your love for music. when you are as passionate for something as we both are about music, emotions can understandably run a little high.

what I did (while not intended), was wrong, plain and simple. I want to thank you Lee for opening my eyes to this fact and also to remind me that it's not always about "me" !!

your concerns are well taken and will be very much considered before doing something like this again.

Just remember Lee, I'm NOT the village idiot, but he IS my best friend and we do everything together!!

P.S, your still my friend

#1055345 - 02/26/06 01:09 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Hmmm;

One more thing, maybe I need to tone down the intensity a bit as well. In just this thread alone, I somehow managed to ****-off three people!

I said that sharons piano sounded like a harpsichord (I really do like the sound!)..she got mad at me.

I reffered to Tomas as maybe being a "ringer" as his playing is absolutelly incredible for only 2-months. he in fact was telling the truth.

And I showed complete disrespect for Seaside-Lee's song by a thoughtless reply.

Anyone else want to get offended by me? I'm not doing so well today.

Maybe this cave thing was'nt such a good idea

\:\(

#1055346 - 02/26/06 01:21 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Mr S-H

In my book, only a real man could say the things you just said .... and ...

Quote:
Maybe this cave thing was'nt such a good idea
... I think most folks would rather have you here[/b] than in a cave \:\)

Balladeer

#1055347 - 02/26/06 01:24 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Good posts Hunk. Be careful though, you just may be acquiring wisdom.

btw, the reason Sharon's song sounded like a harpsichord to you is because you listened to it via Microsoft's crappy software midi synthesizer. If you played it through your keyboard, then it would sound like the "Grand Piano" that it is.

To play it through your keyboard, you can either connect the keyboard to your computer via midi cables, or if your keyboard supports it (I think Rodney said it does), copy the midi to removable media and play it on the keyboard.

What you experienced is the reason I converted the midi files that were submitted to me for the recital to MP3.

As for your reaction to Tomas, I don't think apologies are in order. I'm sure he took our amazement as a compliment. When I received his recital entry, I just HAD to email him for more information because his submission just blew me away! He is obviously very, very talented.

#1055348 - 02/26/06 01:38 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mr. S-H.

I did not indeed get mad at you re harpsichord - i thought it was funny (and I was itching to use that tiki graemlin and it was a perfect opportunity.

#1055349 - 02/26/06 01:47 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

double post, sorry.

#1055350 - 02/26/06 04:07 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Hunkster

I agree with Balladeer, it is the measure of a man who can admit his mistakes and for that I fully accept your apology...and sure we're still good friends \:D .

Hunky, you don't need to prove to me how easy it is to pull an arrangement out of a fake book, I know only too well (I messed around with them for a year myself remember and can do the same, so can hundreds maybe thousands? of pro pianists all over the world)

The fact that you worked your method all out by yourself is what amazes me, and I have told you many times I love your style. The thing is now for you to grow with a little help and encouragement from your friends \:\)

When I first came to these forums, I was looking for advice on purchasing my CLP170 and then found myself in the ABF and to be honest quite upset to see the struggle some people were having with piano lessons in contrast to the life changing fun I was having.

So, I yakked about it and got into like a huge argument (which was never my intent). So I decided when the time was right I would let my music do the talking for me. people can listen and make there own minds up.

I remember the torture of my piano lessons when I was a child...but, now I am having more fun than ever and living my childhood dream. If I can just convince one person and change their life then my playing for everyone and the time it takes me to record it and share it has been worth every minute (IMHO)

I don't want to be a walking talking advert for pianomagic (honest)...I don't want to harp on about it all the time but, I suppose as people hear me play they are going to ask me questions and I can ony tell of my experiences...just as you can with yours.

People will listen to you and make their own minds up, you are showing people it is easier to play a piano than they think or than is taught by many (not all) and so am I.

Those that see it will seek their own way of fun, those that don't will pursue whatever it is they believe in too.

So, long as we all are having fun thats all that matters.

There is some great stuff going on here and you hunkster are the driving force...there is so much goodness and sharing in you that I can't help but, admire and like you.

Maybe between you and me we can make a billion people realize their dreams or maybe just one who knows?

onwards and upwards as friends \:D

best regards

Lee

#1055351 - 02/26/06 05:47 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: In a state full of Volcanoes
I finally got to here Phantom with some help from Lee. My computer is so slow that it took over half an hour to download it... but it was worth the wait. \:\)

I am very impressed with the recording.

I can't wait to hear what you will do when you "grow up" (your words, I think you sound pretty grown up on that recording btw.)There is plenty of expressiveness going on already in your playing on that file. You could take that rendition to a professional gig.

I hope you will consider sending in a recording of "All I Ask of You" and "Think of Me".

Thank you for sharing the music with us.
Again, my thanks to Lee for helping me to hear this recording.
:2hearts:
Bravo!

Quote:

Balladeer [/b]

#1055352 - 02/26/06 08:03 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Hi Wolfindmist -

Thank you for the kind praise. You may rest assured that there will be more Phantom pieces forthcoming. I am totally smitten with a number of tunes from that opera. I only first saw it this summer. I had no idea what I was missing. (We don't do a lot of opera here in the wheat fields of Kansas ;\) ) I saw the DVD version which I am told is pitiful compared to the real banana - but I loved it anyway. This is the kind of music that pushes my buttons. The emotional peaks many of the other Phantom songs are glorious, and I want to do them at least some justice before I toss them out there.

I am very happy you enjoyed Phantom. \:\)

Balladeer

#1055353 - 02/27/06 07:55 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, KY
I am definitely not in the same league with the rest of y'all, but this is the "beginners" forum

::edit::

#1055354 - 02/27/06 08:19 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Euan (sorry I missed your post)

Quote:
Firstly, Lee - that was simply awesome! Another piece that kept me stunned for the entire duration. I love these mushy love songs!
Thankyou so much \:D

Quote:
p.s. is that song used on Classic Fm 'Your Song', I think its 12noon on a Sunday? That thing where they tell tales of love lost, and longing to get back together etc (sorry if you have no idea what I'm talking about!). It sounded familiar, thats all.
I remember it as Simon Bates "Our Tune" on radio 1...so I imagine its the same thing, and I agree it is rather a beautiful song and I just hope I did it justice?

thanks for listening and taking the time to post

regards

#1055355 - 02/27/06 08:42 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Hi, Rocky

Quote:
I am definitely not in the same league with the rest of y'all,
... oh, yes ya' are - we're all in the "we're having fun league!"

You did a nice job here, Rocky. You created and maintained a nice even flow throughout. There are a few spots in this song where a natural slowing is called for - the first at about 1:02. You did[/b] slow things up, and I would like to hear you slow it even more[/b] there and at about 2:08, 2:40. This would help create some good contrasts, and help the listener breathe.

Your playing is more impressive than you might think! \:D

Balladeer

#1055356 - 02/27/06 09:22 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the comments Balladeer. This was going to be the piece for the recital, but I decided there was "alot" of room for improvement yet!

Once again, I have enjoyed "everyone's" submission in the piano bar!!!

Lovin it!!!! \:D

#1055357 - 02/27/06 10:03 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Bravo Rocky!

Once again fearless and once again a delight to listen to \:\)

Nice steady block chords with an occassional mix of what sounded like slightly arpeggiated ones...made for a nice interesting listening mix.

Also a lovely flow without a hint of hesitation to my ears

I enjoyed listening to you, thanks

#1055358 - 02/27/06 10:13 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Rocky, I'm not familiar with that tune, but it sounded very nice. My suggestion would be to lighten up on the left hand, especially with the block chords. Unless you want to especially emphasis a particular beat in a measure, you want the left hand to be harmonious and not overpower the melody in the right.

#1055359 - 02/27/06 11:07 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Great song Rocky. You know I love all of Jim Brickmans songs.

If you are playing this song out of the book I think you are, there are a lot of great songs in it.

nice job on this one, try out "rememberence" or "lake eerie rainfall", both are also real nice.

#1055360 - 02/27/06 12:38 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the comments y'all ! Bob, I'm think I'm at the point that I'm still amazed my left hand will do anything at all, but I do realize I have trouble playing the left hand soft, especially when recording and trying to just hit the right notes! Mr. S-H, I think since I heard your version of Lake Eerie Rainfall before I ever tried to play it, that I will never be able to play the one in the book, yours sounds so much better!

#1055361 - 02/27/06 12:50 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Monica K. Offline

Good job, rocky! I didn't hear all "those problems" you referred to.

...and I know what you mean about super-hunky's Lake Erie Rainfall spoiling the sheet music version.

#1055362 - 02/27/06 07:33 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Roger Ransom Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
I've agonized a long time over whether or not to post a piece here.

I'm 63 years old and took several years of classical piano when I was a teenager and loved it. After spending some years in the Navy and then raising a family I decided to get back into music. I've actually dabbled a little bit over the years but no real dedication.

About 4 or 5 years ago a friend introduced me to Fake Books and improvisation and it was like being set free. I no longer have to obsess over every little grace note and expression mark. I can just try to make music.

I have a grand piano but I played this piece of music on my Kurzweil Mk 10 Keyboard. It actually sounds harder than it is because I don't play arpeggios or anything else that don't fall under my fingers easily, I just do something else. The strings are compliments of the "Strings" pushbutton. There are a few glaring mistakes but it's the best take I could come up with.

http://www.savefile.com/files/9430285

#1055363 - 02/27/06 07:47 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That was lovely!!!

Kawai MP-4 digital

When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#1055364 - 02/27/06 08:13 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Very nice. I'm not sure why you were agonizing though.

Quote:
it was like being set free.
Yep, Super-Hunky can vouch for that as well.

#1055365 - 02/27/06 08:14 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

WOW Roger that was incredible!. where are all these people comming from?? The land of hidden talent??

Roger, how can you possibly play so many notes like that? It sounded like three of four people were playing all together but each was given their own octave to play.

Once again...WOW. really impressive!

Now, teach me how to do that. Are you doing kind of a drum roll with your fingers on the keys?; like using your pinky, index and thumb but just alternating them very quickly?

I've just got to learn how to do that. it sounded like the music played in heaven!

#1055366 - 02/27/06 08:22 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Oh yea Roger , one more thing .I really can relate to the comment you made about being "set free".

Actually, many of us can relate to that.

I don't just play fakebook style, I even cheat at that by only playing some of the notes written.

I am a huge fan of improvising (or playing by ear) as there is no other way to describe it other than being "set free" as you say..... a perfect quote!

My style of playing is sort of playing by ear (only with training wheels on) as I still use the writen score to act as my "guide".

Your style really sounds improvised, have you considered or are you familiar with the Piano magic method or some of the students? They all have a very full and rich sound like you do. You may be the perfect student for them..... look into it.

#1055367 - 02/27/06 08:39 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Hello, Roger

I think the best thing about this is that YOU are having fun and you can't hide it! \:\) I was duly impressed ... and more importantly entertained. \:\) When your audience senses that you are relaxed and enjoying yourself, it is easier for them to enjoy.

It is clear that you are playing from a combination of ear/memory, and the freedom it is giving you shows in the delivery.

I would be interested in your arpeggiation technique if you are willing to share that. Your sound is somewhat akin to Emile Pandolfi - one of my favorites.

A great treat for us, and please do not hesitate or agonize in the future!

Balladeer

#1055368 - 02/27/06 08:42 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the kind words.

Like I said, it's actually easier than it sounds. I don't know if this will make any sense or not. It's easier to do than to describe. An example might be:

In C - roll the C E G with the left had, and immediately the next C E G C with the right, then immediately move both hands up just one octave so the left hand is now playing the same notes the right hand just played and just keep going. Practice until you can do it real smooth. You can move the left hand up while the right hand is playing so it's ready as soon as the right hand is done. It's very easy and sounds impressive. You can roll both hands in both direction while you're doing this and you end up playing a lot of notes.

I have not heard of Pianomagic but I will look at the web site.

#1055369 - 02/27/06 08:44 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Ooops, I forgot just one more thing...sorry.

Roger, you ar 63 years old. That is WAY to old to be playing piano ! What is wrong with you?

Have'nt you read the posts of the 15 year old teenager who was asking if 15 is too old to learn to play piano??

You kind of squashed that thinking!!

#1055370 - 02/27/06 08:51 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Quote:
WOW Roger that was incredible!. where are all these people comming from?? The land of hidden talent??
... Mr S-H ... it is YOU you[/b] who has inspired them to come out and play!! ;\)

Balladeer

#1055371 - 02/27/06 08:57 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
1000 Post Club Member

I did read the post from the kid asking if he was too old. At first I thought he was pulling our leg but I think he really thought that.

When I was first trying learn to play with Fake books I thought I was somehow 'cheating' but it suddenly occured to me that this is what all jazz musicians do (at a level far above me to be sure, but the principle is the same). Also the arrangers do the same thing, the only difference is that they write it down and sell it and we just play it and smile.

#1055372 - 02/27/06 09:02 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

HI again Roger,

.. so you are just playing a harp style arp using only basic triad tones up the keyboard? It also sounds like you are coming back down at least one octave. When you do that, are you keeping the same handshapes, or is an alternate technique involved?

I know sometimes it is more difficult to describe what you are doing than it is to just do it, and appreciate your responses.

Balladeer

#1055373 - 02/27/06 09:03 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Oh my gosh... FINALLY, I have someone on my side! I have been so lonely over here in "cheaters corner" ! HaHa. I like you Roger, want to come over my house and play some "cheat music" together?

#1055374 - 02/27/06 09:35 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
1000 Post Club Member

Balladeer - it's just that simple, no fancy technique. Like I said, it sounds harder than it is. I don't tell 'regular' folks that it's a fairly easy thing to do. Just practice making it smooth and flowing and it not only sounds difficult but it's fun to do and feels good under my hands.

Mr. M-H - "Cheat Music" is fun and I'd be happy to.

I still dig out some of the old classics I learned years ago and try a few new ones but it takes way too much work to learn really hard stuff. There's a difference between practicing and playing. I just want to play.
Incidentally, it's true that you are the one that is giving us guts enought to try posting stuff. Before this I never really played for anyone except for a nursing home I did a sing-a-long for a few years ago.

No, I wasn't a patient there :-)

#1055375 - 02/27/06 09:52 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Ransom:
It's very easy and sounds impressive. You can roll both hands in both direction while you're doing this and you end up playing a lot of notes.[/b]
Wow, Roger! I just now listened to your piece, and I can see what everybody is raving about. Your music sounds very much like Raphael (new age artist) to me and in particular his "Disappearing Into You" album and song of the same name; it's full of the same kinds of rolling arpeggios.

But you're only half right: It does indeed sound very impressive. But I'm not acceding that it's easy! Yes, when you describe what you're doing, it makes sense, and if ALL you were doing was playing those rolling octaves, then you MIGHT be able to convince me that it was easy, even though I'd still have my doubts because of how fast and smoothly you're playing. But, and here's the clincher: How are you doing all that with both hands when you're ALSO carrying a melody with your right hand??? Explain THAT to me, bub! ;\)

Thank you for sharing with us, and I'm with Bob: there's no need to agonize. We're all just having fun and enjoying each other's playing. I'd post something new myself but somehow I messed up my audacity and it can't find lame any more so I have to reinstall everything. (If there was anybody who doubted my claims re: computer illiteracy, here is incontrovertible evidence.)

#1055376 - 02/27/06 11:13 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Wow, "In-con-tro-ver- tible" Am I the only one who had to clap this out to pronounce it?? ;\)

#1055377 - 02/27/06 11:16 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

BTW Monica, now that you mentioned it, it DOES seem like both hands are playing rolling arpeggios while another hand is playing the melody.....hmmm!!

Roger....come clean!!

#1055378 - 02/28/06 03:28 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Roger - like all the other responses so far, I too was amazed by the piece. It really did sound sooo fantastic!! Well done

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
I've just got to learn how to do that. it sounded like the music played in heaven! [/b]
After reading your method of CEG - CEGC moving up the keyboard, that was the first thing I sat down and attempted today. You could say therefore that your playing was 'inspirational' to us!

Euan.

#1055379 - 02/28/06 06:40 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Roger

I have just enjoyed every second of your "Somewhere In Time"

Absolutely beautiful and stunning \:D

Are you Emile Pandolfi in disguise? \:D

Thankyou so much for posting and can you explain how you play that accompaniment, joking aside it is very similar to Emile Pandolfi (and balladeer and I love the way he plays \:\) )

Monica one of these days you are just going to have to believe ;\) ...playing piano is so much easier than many are taught and the tragedy is that so many pianos are not being played in homes all over the world (IMHO).

BTW Scott the piano guy teaches how to play from fake books and is most excellent at it...do a "google video search" on Scott and get heaps of his videos for...erm...free

regards

Edit - oops I've just read the responses and see balladeer has already mentioned Pandolfi...and you've explained the accompaniment.

I knew he would be interested ;\)

#1055380 - 02/28/06 07:46 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Roger, what can I say....WOW !!!

That is one my favorite pieces of music and you did an absolutely fantastic job. I will be saving this one for sure to listen to over and over!

All of you are very inspiring and I enjoy listening very much!! Thanks for sharing.

My recording days are over until I make some progress. My attempts at playing the piano are a bit embarrassing as compared to the other stuff being posted!!

I won't give up though, as I've said before, this monster called the piano is not going to defeat me!

#1055381 - 02/28/06 10:00 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rocky:
My recording days are over until I make some progress. My attempts at playing the piano are a bit embarrassing as compared to the other stuff being posted!!
ABSOLUTELY NOT, ROCKY! You stay put and continue to record (to the best of your ability).

Afterall, this is the piano bar, and all level of piano playing skill are acceptable and encouraged... Am I right, Mr. S-H...? All levels are acceptable? :rolleyes:

Going on a bit of vacation now with the hubby -

So, see ya around.

That's the spirit - to never give up. Good going, Rocky!

#1055382 - 02/28/06 11:19 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Rocky:

How can you NOT post your recorded songs??? I am still humming your "my way" tune all the time. Actually, you have inspired me to learn it (honestly!....I did)

I have inspired you and Monica to learn Jim Brickmans "lake eerie rainfall", Monica has inspired me to learn "the gift" by David Nevue. Now Roger has inspired you to learn his song, etc.

We WANT to hear your recordings! I have NEVER posted a recording without mistakes....ever!, listen to them.

It would be a shame for someone with so much talent to keep it to himself. You show others how well you can play after only one year!

I show others how to "cheat", Seaside Lee ,Balladeer, Sharon, Bob and others show how to play by ear; we are all in this together and we need your contributions.

I WILL sick Monica on you if I have too! she does'nt live that far away from you and we will all do what we have to in order to keep you involved!

Some could say that maybe I can be a little "pushy" at times, and although that may be true, its not the case with you.

Deep down I really know you want to participate and post up your songs......so do it! we want you to.

#1055383 - 02/28/06 11:46 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the encouragement y'all \:D

I'm not going to stop participating in the forums at all..just stop posting any recordings for awhile. I am definitely planning on doing something for the next recital!

Listening to all of you is very inspiring and is what helps keep me going! Like you Mr. S-H it has gotten me to play some pieces I probably wouldn't have even looked at before and it has me trying my hand at "a little bit" of improv.

My teacher (me) still cries when he hears me play sometimes because of all the mistakes, but I slap him down and keep on going!!

And don't be sickin' Monica on little 'ol me.... ;\)

#1055384 - 02/28/06 11:50 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Naught Offline

Loc: Ohio
"My teacher (me) still cries when he hears me play sometimes because of all the mistakes, but I slap him down and keep on going!! "

hahaha, you're killin' me here =)

#1055385 - 02/28/06 01:27 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: 90 miles West of New Orleans
O.K. Bob, this is for you. I really appreciate all of the work that you did on the recital project. I was hesitant to post something that was not "polished", but here it is.
Mike White

http://www.savefile.com/files/3865256

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1055386 - 02/28/06 02:07 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Awesome Mike! Hesitate no more, that was fantastic! I don't know that song, but your rendition had a very modern sound to it.

btw, for you savefile folks, it's easier if you post the second download link for your music. The one that comes up after you click on the big download button. For example, here's a more direct link to Mike's song:

http://www.savefile.com/files2.php?fid=3865256

Edit: NEVER MIND. The second download link evidently doesn't work. You're still redirected to the first one. \:\(

#1055387 - 02/28/06 02:29 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Oh yes, Wow-Whee!!! \:D

Where's the mistakes, Mike?

More, more... please ....MORE!

ooh, I do like Hunksters piano bar \:D

Lee \:D

#1055388 - 02/28/06 02:36 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
And don't be sickin' Monica on little 'ol me.... ;\) [/b]
Even worse than getting me to sic on you, I'll....I'll.... lecture[/b] to you with more big words like 'incontrovertible'!

Seriously, rocky; please keep posting. The whole point is to enjoy each other's music and delight in each other's progress. I really hate to think that there are people out there who would like to post a recording but hesitate because they don't feel like they're "good enough." In fact, I wish we could talk one of our REAL newbies, e.g., someone who just bought their first keyboard and/or just took their first lesson ever, to post an early recording of a practice session.

#1055389 - 02/28/06 04:45 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Rocky! give over... I love your stuff

Please don't stop \:\(

I'll always be here cheering you on \:D

#1055390 - 02/28/06 05:20 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
1000 Post Club Member

Mike, very impressive arrangement. Are you playing by ear or Fake Books or what? Nice crisp even sound. Good Job

#1055391 - 02/28/06 06:40 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Y'all.....if I get something worthy to post, I'll post, ok.
But I'm thinking at this point I'm going to be good to have something by the next recital. You see I have this problem. I don't practice! I just play. I play one easy song and move right along to another. I don't worry about all my mistakes, I just play.

I guess I should be the poster boy for people who need lessons? :p

Y'all have been great with all the encouragement and I appreciate it! And listening to your recordings definitely inspires me to keep at it!

And Monica, don't threaten me with those big words! Ya know I'm from Louavull and don't understand. I do wear shoes tho!!! :p

#1055392 - 02/28/06 06:50 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Roger, it's been so long since I first played that piece, I don't remember where I got from. I think it's either Burt Bacharach or Carpenters. I may have had a record or tape? That one would be strictlty by ear though. I'm out of practice on my "old stuff" since I have been devoting so much time into learning to read music and learning new pieces. I used to read chords fairly well, and of course, I already knew how to play the lead on popular tunes of the time. I would simply read the chords to the song and follow the words instead of reading the music. That seams so archaic to me now. I should have at least learned how to read the treble cleft!
Mike

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1055393 - 02/28/06 07:05 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
1000 Post Club Member

Playing strictly by ear is something I've never been able to do. I can hum a song in my head but once I start trying to duplicate it on the piano I seem to lose touch with the one in my head and it's a hopeless jumble. I can improvise some but I need the basic chords written down at least.

Rocky - I rarely 'practice'. I just try to play songs that I like. If I make any improvement it's just an accident and not by design.

#1055394 - 02/28/06 10:20 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Mike White:

I just downloaded and listened to your song. That was a really unique song played incredibly well. I remember you from the recital. I think I said to you "R" is for Ringer!!!

That was such an "eclectic" piece. I really, really liked it as I have never really heard that type of song before.

It seemed to have everything in it. Some definite samples of modern jazz, a pop-ish beat some dramatic new-age type chords with even some clasical flairs thrown in.

Again, I really liked it. What type of music would you call that? I would be very interested in playing something like this myself.

I'm kind of torn between how much I liked the song as well as how nice of a job you did with it. Usually people either play a regular tune very well, or they do a respectable job of a really nice song.

For me, I will give you a "10" for not only your playing, but also on song selection. (this is very rare by the way)

Super job , can you tell I really liked the song!!!

#1055395 - 02/28/06 10:41 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Rocky:

From what you just said,you seem to be headed down the same path I've been on for the past 6-months now.

I've been so eager to learn more and more songs (quickly) that I've never really stopped and listened to them long enough to either appreciate them or perfect them.

As I've said in another thread, I'm at the point where I can play almost anything good. On a scale from 1-10, I can play it around a "7-ish".

But then, I seem to move on and learn a new song to the point where I can play that good too, again, around a "7".

Problem is, now I have this huge menu of songs to choose from, but my "menu" consists of lots of songs all played at a "7".

Just recently, I've decided to stop "playing" the piano and start "performing" on it.

I now need to literally go back to song #1 and learn to "perform" it!

"performing" is so much more than just playing the correct notes per bar in the correct time. It is what really brings the song to life, the meaning, intentions and emotions behind the music.

I just learned the basics of "phrasing" which I'm currently viewing as a way to let your fingers do the "singing" and articulation for you.

It is these performance criteria that I now want to go back and learn to do on every song.

I now don't want to just learn more and more and more songs just for a bigger song list to play from. I'd rather play a few songs at a 9 or a 10 than a whole bunch at a "7".

Don't ever let your music become just subtle background music; Let it become a commanding performance which can bring a tear to someones eye, put a lump in their throat, or even make a couple hold each other a little tighter if just for the moment.

This is what a performance can do!!....give it a try.

#1055396 - 02/28/06 10:49 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

O.K., I give in. I will try to bring back some of the stuff I used to play for the piano bar. Your compliments are too kind. It will be deja vu for people near my age group, then again, younger folks may be clueless. Maybe it's time for the "boomer generation" to start flexing it's muscles? BIG HA HA or LOL for the younger generation. I think that this song was by the Carpenter's from the '70;s or'80's maybe? I would have to Google it. I can't remember. I saw that someone posted to this topic and said, since this is a piano bar, I hope that you have had a couple of drinks before you listen to it.
Mike

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1055397 - 03/01/06 08:23 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mr S-H, sounds like you are definitely on the right track. Your music sounds great already, so what you are doing now will only make it better!!

I think I've gotten off track lately. The main reason I'm learning to play the piano is simply that I always wanted to do it. I have no dreams of ever being on stage anywhere. I am perfectly happy playing to my audience of one...me! I will continue to play and hopefully improve! And hope that the words in my quote will be true!!
\:\)

#1055398 - 03/01/06 10:03 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Hi, Mr Rocky -

Quote:
I am perfectly happy playing to my audience of one...me!
... you have just described the one and ONLY[/b] key to success and fun with the piano. After all is said and done, it comes down to playing for yourself. Anyone who is playing for any other reason will not play for very long, and will certainly be missing out on the great pleasures playing has to offer.

Sometimes I think we all tend to get wrapped up in playing "this way" or "that way" .... or playing something in an attempt to please someone else - that leads to "nowhereville" - fast! \:\(

The other big mistake most of us make is getting into the "comparison" thing. Since I came here, I have enjoyed the spirit of the members of this forum and I thoroughly enjoyed the recent recital. I enjoyed the "simply played" offerings of the truly beginning students every bit as much as the most "polished and advanced" players.... perhaps even more. That early joy that each of us had when we first discovered that we could play anything at all[/b] on the piano can be relived over and over as long as we keep the focus on ourselves.

In my estimation, comparison to others is not a good way to lead your life. In the "piano playing" arena it only leads to unhappiness. Rejoice about what you can[/b] do, and you will be happy and move forward! \:\)

.....thus endeth today's sermon from "Uncle Balladeer!"

Now let's go have some fun!!!!!! \:D

#1055399 - 03/01/06 10:48 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Balladeer....words of wisdom!!! Can we hear an "Amen" !!!!

#1055400 - 03/01/06 02:17 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
AnotherSchmoe Offline

Loc: Arkansas
This is in bad condition but it's something. Started learning this one 3 days ago, recorded it around half an hour ago, I played it slow and with mistakes plentiful but it's a start! Haven't memorized it yet, this was just playing with the sheet in front of me. It sounds pretty butchered when I play it, but it's a nice song when done right.

Waltz for the Moon[/b] (Final Fantasy VIII video game)
http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=7139844

http://www.youtube.com/user/AnotherSchmoe

#1055401 - 03/01/06 02:29 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Monica K. Offline

Thanks, AnotherSchmoe, for sharing with us! It is a pretty song indeed, and I heard only a couple of noticeable mistakes. I'm also deeply impressed that you were able to learn such a LONG song (it has to be 8+ pages, right, to last almost 6 minutes?) in only 3 days. Wow!

#1055402 - 03/01/06 02:34 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
AnotherSchmoe Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
Thanks, AnotherSchmoe, for sharing with us! It is a pretty song indeed, and I heard only a couple of noticeable mistakes. I'm also deeply impressed that you were able to learn such a LONG song (it has to be 8+ pages, right, to last almost 6 minutes?) in only 3 days. Wow! [/b]
It's actually only 3 pages, it just repeats itself once. Thanks for the encouragement though! \:D

Here's the sheet I used, found it on a google search, I just wish it had fingerings and dynamics.

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=4449803

#1055403 - 03/01/06 03:43 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That is very pretty! And very nice job for only a few days into it! I think I will send that link to my daughter- she's the FF player in the family! \:\)

Kawai MP-4 digital

#1055404 - 03/02/06 10:44 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
AnotherSchmoe Offline

Quote:

Balladeer [/b]
Wow, just listened to this, that is really good Balladeer!

#1055405 - 03/02/06 10:31 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

O.K. Lee, you said you wanted more, (mistakes and all). I'll put the blame on the bartender, Hunk, who served me all of that chardonnay.
Mike
http://www.savefile.com/files/2023234
I need to get back to Chopin.

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1055406 - 03/02/06 11:04 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I'm having a tough time downloading the file from savefile.com Mike.

#1055407 - 03/03/06 07:24 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Mike

You ain't gonna like me saying this

but that was unbelievable...you made me cry with joy whilst listening!

Is it just me? can anyone else hear the freedom in Mikes playing ...when he is playing from his heart!

How could you want to give that up?...I don't understand?

Its the freedom of using the creative side of your brain which is limited only by your own imagination and creativity...that in this recording just made my jaw drop.

this is exactly what I am talking
about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm only just starting out on my "by ear" journey and I am loving it...you play like our Mike and that's the highest compliment I can give you \:D .

I love the way that both of you play. Fortunately for me he is able to teach me (i.e. the less gifted and melodically challenged) to one day play something like that...and when I get there I will be in piano heaven (believe me)

Do I want more?

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lee \:D \:D

#1055408 - 03/03/06 09:21 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Hi, Mike -

Needless to say, that was terrific! \:\)

Just as Lee pointed out, this is the kind of sound and depth of expression that results from playing with freedom.

Those of us who choose to play by ear are all about finding the freedom. That is our key to joy. It is not for everyone anymore than playing from a score is for everyone ... but for those who like this path, this was an excellent and thoroughly enjoyable example! \:D

Thanks,

Balladeer

#1055409 - 03/03/06 09:46 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Lee and Balladeer. In all these past years, I have been playing for my own enjoyment. I'm to the point now that I want to learn a piece properly and play it all the way through. This forum has given me the encouragement to achieve this goal. My next audition piece will be Chopin Waltz in Ab Maj Op. posth. 69, No. 1 - Brown-Index 95. Do any of you like ragtime?
Mike White

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1055410 - 03/03/06 10:42 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
dk21208 Offline

Loc: FL
Ok, I'm curious.... What is the Brown-Index referring to?

#1055411 - 03/03/06 01:29 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have no idea, but I saw someone else who knows refer to it and it's written on my music. I guess I could "google it".
Mike

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1055412 - 03/03/06 10:36 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I just got around to listening to your song, Mike White.

I never heard this song before...it almost sounds like Sunny Side of the Street (or something like that)??? Like kinda jazzy or kinda bluesy.

Big sound. A lot of flare. Nice. Kool.

#1055413 - 03/04/06 08:48 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Sharon, it was Deep Purple by Peter De Rose.
Mike

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1055414 - 03/04/06 03:06 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamaha G3 & P-80:
[QB] Thanks Sharon, it was Deep Purple by Peter De Rose. Mike
I had to have another listen. I'm in a wierd mood today....shoot for the stars.... the devil may care attitude....I think things are gonna be great.....

Anyway - Mike this stuff is definitely "piano (lounge lizard) bar" material.

(I gots to start working on some new material). :rolleyes:

#1055415 - 03/04/06 08:39 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

This should wake up anyone who is asleep at the piano bar. I have given up on trying to record something without mistakes...My version of Summertime
http://www.savefile.com/projects/833922
Mike White

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1055416 - 03/04/06 08:54 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Superb Mike! I loved how you varied the sound for each run through the verse. Great! btw, I honestly heard NO mistakes in that recording, just a fun listen!

#1055417 - 03/04/06 09:18 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mike White - that was outta site!

At 1:49 you just took off like lightening.......

so much rhythm.... swinging, man - varied, varied, varied. Wow!

If there were mistakes, you made it all fit.

Sharon

#1055418 - 03/04/06 09:46 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Monica K. Offline

That's what I call a PERFECT piano bar tune! Good rhythm and easy on the ears.

#1055419 - 03/04/06 10:05 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here's another one, Granada.
http://www.savefile.com/projects/101127
Mike White

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1055420 - 03/05/06 06:14 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Mike

You are spoiling us now

Absolutely fantastic \:D

Can I be the president of your UK Fan Club?...pu-ll-eeze?

What is so amazing is that those are 2 songs that I can honestly say I don't/didn't like..but, you've just made me want to learn them!!!...now that is what I call inspirational piano playing

Summertime was my favourite... and the change to stride at the end?...wonderful \:D

I'm loving listening to you play...more than I can say

regards

Seaside_Lee (CEO Mike White Fan Club UK ) \:\)

#1055421 - 03/05/06 08:14 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
AnotherSchmoe Offline

Wow, nice stuff Mike!!
Keep it up!

#1055422 - 03/05/06 08:59 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Hello, Mike

Brilliant stuff! \:D

What is most clear in your playing (and most important to me) is that you are having fun!

Many of you advanced players are adding significantly to everyone's enjoyment as well as our "piano playing" education.

Thanks! \:\)

Balladeer

#1055423 - 03/05/06 12:27 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Problem!

I've tried about 5 times now to download these songs and I keep getting "timed out"!

Did, or is anyone else having this problem??

#1055424 - 03/05/06 12:57 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Granada - couldn't download it. \:\(

I guess I'll wait for your next one, Mike -
it's not meant to be that I should hear this one.

#1055425 - 03/05/06 02:10 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Try again Sharon. There is a pop-up on savefile. Maybe that was the problem?
Mike

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1055426 - 03/05/06 02:38 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yay! It worked. (Edited a lot (as usual).

Mike, your playing is very passionate. This song had like a Spanish flare to it... (I'll keep the rose in my teeth).

I've been experimenting with allowing myself to try different note combinations in my practice... to a) keep myself from becoming bored and b) open my world up more. Oh for the record - I'm purely by ear player... although I did peek at my Scott Houston fake book last night to get the chords to Misty (that's the written letters, not the musical notes)....and plinked it out.....only had to look once, really. It's a bit challenging.... so I won't obsess about it... (but I will diddle with it here and there - and I'm certainly sure if I gave it a whole-hearted effort - like locked myself in my room and sat there for 2 hours just playing that song I would come away with a half-decent rendition)

...but I don't have kind of discipline... perhaps I'll make it a goal to learn by end of month or next month.

Everything from everyone inspires me - from words to music. Unfortunately, I have nothing right now polished enough for the piano bar, but perhaps later this month.

Thanks for letting me go on. (BTW: Funny is good). Thanks.

Regards, \:\)
Sharon

#1055427 - 03/05/06 03:13 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

You are FUNNY!

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1055428 - 03/05/06 03:19 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Yes, I had problems as well. SaveFile.com must be having bandwidth issues of their own. To save some irritation, I've placed Mike's latest hits on my server:

Knowing_When_to_Leave.mp3
Deep_Purple.mp3
Summertime.mp3
Granada.mp3

#1055429 - 03/05/06 03:39 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Naught Offline

Loc: Ohio
Bob, theres a problem with the Deep Purple link.

#1055430 - 03/05/06 03:51 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Not now. Typo fixed, thanks!

#1055431 - 03/05/06 05:05 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

WOW, Thanks Bob for hosting the links as I just could not get those songs to work for me.

Mike:

Your songs are absolutely incredible! I think your playing is even better than many "pro's" I've heard (I really mean that)

How long did it take you to play like this?, I will have been playing coming up on 2 years this summer but my playing is light years away from yours.

I don't know if I've asked before but are you reading written music?, improvising written music?, or playing the whole thing by ear?.

Whatever you are doing, it obviously works....well!

Mike, could you please give us a brief background of your training and experience?. you've probably have already done this but it will give others an idea of what it takes to play like you.

Also, your music seems incredibly full and rich like the piano magic peoples do. Did you take their course or a similar one??

I just want ot know what you did so I can do it. I wanna be like Mike!! (Baladeer and Roger ransom too!)
"
Your playing is obviously way... and I mean "WAY" beyond "beginner" level, but I really appreciate your songs as I see it as something to strive for. None of us will ever get any better just playing the same old "easy" tunes over and over; your songs definitely provide us all with inspiration and even inscentive to try to get better.

Please post your songs on a frequent basis as I love hearing this type and level of playing.

Also, any pointers of tips on members playing would be greatly appreciated.

You also may look into quiting your day job and playing piano full time as a profession!

#1055432 - 03/05/06 05:40 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well, I am a beginning "reader". I have never played professionally, nor had formal lessons, but I have been playing for a long time - I'm 56. What I do is to immitate the way I hear a piece. No, all of this is strictly by ear. I was definately in a rut until I began teaching myself to read. I am picking up new techniques all the time like fingering and chord inversion. The main reason that I didn't persue reading before is that I was impatient and wanted to play a piece immediately instead of going through the long process. It took forever for me to learn the notes. I couldn't use beginner books, because after I would play through a song one time, I could then play it by ear. The way I did it was to play hundreds of Bach Chorales, a different one each time. That prevented me from playing them by ear.

Speaking of "warm and sunny", I have been working in the yard lately. It did not freeze here this past winter and my tropical plants are in full bloom. It ususlly freezes once or twice just enough to kill everything. I have hibiscus plants that are taller than me and a giant ivy plant climbing up a tree that is as tall as the roof of my house! My plan is to hit the keyboard hard in the middle of summer when we huddle around the air conditioners down here in the south.

As for quitting my day job, I did that five years ago. I'm a retired teacher. That is the main reason that I have the time now to put into piano. The Piano World Forum has also helped to challenge me.

I will be glad to post more songs as long as somebody enjoys listening to them.
Mike White

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1055433 - 03/05/06 05:56 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Mike:

The proofs in the pudding! I say take all your books and build a levy or something usefull out of them as whatever you are doing is really working.

It seems that the "written music only" players are always wondering about those play by ear guys (and gals!)

Now we have a play by ear guy (you), looking into reading music!. At the level you are playing at, I can't help but wonder if learning to read music would actually hold you back?

Could you possibly imagine what the writen score would look like if what you played was written down?

It sounds like you did what maybe we should do and that is to try and emulate someone that we want to sound and play like.

Again thanks for the info, and good luck with your gardening. I can't even remember what rain is!, we have'nt had any rain here in over 150 days!. ZERO.

#1055434 - 03/05/06 06:45 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamaha G3 & P-80:
I will be glad to post more songs as long as somebody enjoys listening to them.
Mike White
We do. Please do.

Sharon

#1055435 - 03/05/06 06:49 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

New Orleans needs the levee, we have a 22 foot sea wall here.
First, nope, second yep, and I know ya'll have been without rain for a long time. As to the "yep" I have a software program called Midinotate, that will transcribe anything you play on the digital keyboard into sheet music. It's amazing to see what it looks like! I wouldn't think of trying to read something like that which I myself had just played. The best part of Midinotate is that it transcribes midi files into sheet music and there are thousands of midi files on the internet. I have over 3,000 of just piano roll midi files, not to mention the other stuff.
Mike

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1055436 - 03/07/06 08:05 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

I tried to post another song, but Savefile seems to be stuck. I'll try back later.
Mike

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1055437 - 03/07/06 11:07 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Fat Old Ugly Frank Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh PA
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3wvd4/Bach_Invention_1.mp3

This is slower than I believe this is traditionally supposed to be done but its the best I can do.

It's also not quite as entertaining as the rest of the music on this thread. Bach Inventions are much more fun to play than to listen to.

Frank \:\)

Oh yeah, this was recorded on my digital. I recently got an acoustic but I need to first get it tuned up and then get a microphone and I hope to get something recorded from the new piano.

#1055438 - 03/07/06 11:12 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Monica K. Offline

Well, from someone whose recital song was a full 50 seconds longer than the "real" version, I'M certainly not going to nitpick you for being a tad slow!

That Bach piece sounded HARD, not fun, to play! I'm used to music where the left hand doesn't do much, just a slow arpeggio here and there. You were going pretty fast with two complicated voices in both hands. Good work!

#1055439 - 03/08/06 05:45 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Hunkster and the gang \:\)

Inspired by some of the recent recordings I have heard with strings and piano combined (which I always think sound nice and relaxing)

I decided to record a ballad with strings for everyone last night. I just love the sound of this \:D

So stepping up to the piano once again

Heres:-

"My Heart Will Go On" - stringy pianomagic style \:\)

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=5984337

regards

#1055440 - 03/08/06 07:53 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi F.O.U.F.

Nice piano playing - yeah - it DID sound complicated.

#1055441 - 03/08/06 07:56 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Seaside, and Bob White -

Couldn't download your stuff. Tried and tried again. Pops? \:\(

Sharon

#1055442 - 03/08/06 08:20 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Pastor Gary Offline

Loc: Junction City, Arkansas
Hi Seaside,

That was absolutely beautiful!

It was a Calgon moment in music!

Thanks!

#1055443 - 03/08/06 08:45 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Fat Old Ugly Frank (I just love that name )

Jeez! you're saying that is fun to play?...yikes Frank...I'd have to practise that for like ten years!

And the digital sounded purdy good to my ears too \:\)

tres bon

#1055444 - 03/08/06 09:02 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Pastor G \:D

Quote:
It was a Calgon moment in music!
I have to admit that was a little lost on a Brit ...so, I did a "google search" and its either:-

1. a water softener?

or

2. An advertisement where a woman is seen in a chaotic home scenario. As her tension rises she utters her famous line "Calgon, take me away!"

hope you meant No. 2? \:D

thanks for listening

#1055445 - 03/08/06 09:33 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Hi, Seaside -

Brilliant! \:D

I must say, given the context of the song, I feel at once a bit hypothermic - and then wonderfully warmed by your music!

More, please...

Balladeer

#1055446 - 03/08/06 11:02 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I cannot get anything to download from savefile anymore at all

#1055447 - 03/08/06 11:11 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I cannot get anything to download from savefile anymore at all
Ditto, Rocky!

Pop-ups must be blocking it or something.

Sad smiley \:\(

Sharon

#1055448 - 03/08/06 03:43 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Monica K. Offline

Savefile was acting up for me, too; it would download, but at rates so slow it would take half an hour (over a very fast ethernet line) for any song.

I hope this is just temporary otherwise we'll have to go to some other plan for Recital 2.

#1055449 - 03/08/06 05:03 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Seaside Lee, Fat Old Ugly Frank and also Mike White.

Sorry guys, but I too am having real trouble getting this to work.

Can you all PLEASE re-post your songs in the new updated "piano bar" thread.

Sorry for the inconvienience, but these songs are to good to get lost.

I'm not sure if starting the updated version will fix it, but this thread needed to be refreshed anyway so I figured I would give it a try. Please post them up in the new thread.

Thanks \:\)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
So when someone offers you a free piano you........
by Dennis R in WA
17 minutes 46 seconds ago
Technique for embellishments (half rolls)
by DeadPoets
37 minutes 28 seconds ago
Mason Hamlin AA Vs Schimmel Classic C189
by blueeyes2014
Today at 02:29 PM
Accelerating learning; iPad, apps, & my digital piano p105
by megabyzus
Today at 01:27 PM
A piano is a "value proposition".
by turandot
Today at 12:38 PM
Forum Stats
77074 Members
42 Forums
159422 Topics
2341864 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission