2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey Seaside.

My comments are as follows:

A Time For Us - very poignant, even a bit romantic. :p Good length on the song...wanted it to continue and wasn't disappointed. Ballroom dancable.

Georgia on My Mind - very nice... Both melodies full bodied sound... nice expression and breathing room to both.

But, however did you find an hour of seclusion to practice?

Sharon

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Seaside.

Sharon cool

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member

T
T
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
Tomas, I just downloaded and listened to your song. Once again, I think your playing is just amazing, especially for how short a time you have been playing.

you are in total control over the tempo and speed of the music. You remind me a lot of Rocky who also has great timing, control and has not been playing that long.

Now tomas...come clean. Have you REALLY only been playing two months? Your skill level seems WAY more advanced than that! Also, I see you are playing a Bosendorfer....hmm not exactly a "beginer" piano!!

Don't take my "prying" the wrong way tomas, I'm just asking what everyone else is probably thinking! If you really have only been playing for 2-months, you are an absolutely gifted talent that should pursue a career in music.

I am not doubting you, I'm really just amazed at your talent level. Besides, most people don't take the things I say seriously anyway!!

wink
Well firstly I am glad that you liked my song!

It's really more towards three months since I started playing now, but really I don't think Prelude in E minor is that advanced of a piece to be playing?? Keep in mind that I'm learning this song from sheet music, not improvising like yourself, which I imagine makes things go quite a bit quicker.

And if you don't believe me, I can send you a recording of E Minor I made last week - I misread tons of notes on the sheet music and also played the right hand of the last two bars G clef instead of C clef!

The piano belongs to my family, I only own the P90. They never played it, only use it for PianoDisc, and when I was staying at the house just had a friend of mine teach me how to play. Little did I know that I'd really enjoy it! Like I said in the recital thread, I am obsessive and will spend hours working at something until I get it right. Piano seems pretty conducive to that learning style sooo, seems a good fit.

And a career in music?! When I can play like this guy I will consider it.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thought you were in your cave? wink

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
HaHa, no Lee, yesterday was cave day!

The one nice thing about "fake books" is that each one contains over 1000 songs! LITERALLY.

Anything and everything is available at a moments notice! If you can play one, you can play them all, however,this is where the "cafeteria food" taste or playing comes in; They all start sounding the same.

Tomas, Okay, you "passed" my inquiry. "obsessive" people like yourself seem to always excell the quickest. It is (in my opinion) a very good quality to have as long as you can keep it in check!

I can get really obsessive on certain things and go way overboard very easily. You seem to have a natural talent for not just playing the piano, but performing on it.

Keep it up and stay active here on the forum.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Tomas:
And a career in music?! When I can play like this guy I will consider it. [/QB]
Kewl, Tomas! Kool! laugh

Sharon smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by s54mo827:
Originally posted by Tomas:
And a career in music?! When I can play like this guy I will consider it.
Kewl, Tomas! Kool! laugh

Sharon smile [/QB]
Agreed! - that and Richter's Revolutionary Etude are my 2 fav piano videos of all time!

B
B
Hello, Lee

"A Time For Us" was simply splendid ... start to finish. Period. laugh A great opening,..pretty little spot about :37-:40 ...Nice breath at 1:08 followed by a full sound around 1:11 ... beautiful, graceful backing away around 1:30 .... 2:10-2:14-lovely ... and a gorgeous ending.

This had flare and kept my interest throughout. Beautifully done! smile Now where is that doll store? wink

Balladeer

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Hunkster (and anyone else reading this thread)

I have slept on this over night

Now you also spurred a new idea:

Dueling Piano's !!!
To be honest I was a little angry with you yesterday...but, thought it best to think it over before I posted a response to you.

This thread was created by *you* to invite people to post their music for all to share and enjoy and hopefully give some of the other beginners or ones that missed the recital a chance to play without the pressure of say a recital (just for fun so to speak)...yes?

It is you that has asked for "more music" and I have gladly taken the time to record something and post it for enjoyment (by others) or critique (for my benefit) but, it was also with a view to letting you hear something that may help you achieve what you are trying to achieve at the moment? (i.e. expression and phrasing, the next time that you are in "your cave").

However, if you or I are going to challenge every piece that is posted here to see if we can play it better?, then I think that will discourage the exact thing you were trying to create.

Everyone is supposed to be sharing in the fun here...lets not spoil it wink

Thoughts anyone?

Lee smile

Thankyou so much Balladeer, I dont really know what to say? so I'll just say - "thanks" laugh

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Firstly, Lee - that was simply awesome! Another piece that kept me stunned for the entire duration. I love these mushy love songs!

As for the S-H - I really don't think his intentions were to turn this into a competition or anything. Maybe the phrase Dueling Piano's was not the best, but I only viewed it as a bit of harmless fun (then again, it wasn't my attempts being replicated!).

If anything, you are both regular posters, and fun guys, so I see it kinda like if BB King and Eric Clapton sat together and started jamming. One plays a lick, the other copies it, and essentially they start 'trading licks'. Its competitve in a friendly way, so to speak - just a couple of people doing what they love best.

I'm sure Hunky will see your side of the story and understand.

p.s. is that song used on Classic Fm 'Your Song', I think its 12noon on a Sunday? That thing were they tell tales of love lost, and longing to get back together etc (sorry if you have no idea what I'm talking about!). It sounded familiar, thats all.

Hi BDLR

It felt like I just turned on the radio
to NPR Saturday afternoon at the Opera!!

That's the true test!

VERY well done Sir! thumb

B
B
Thanks, Sirch .. next one I'm gonna use two hands on! eek wink

Balladeer

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Euan.

Just listened to Watching Lara - you keep a steady L/H rhythm. Spooky, interesting song.
Nice.

Sharon smile

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Seaside Lee:

I just read your response to my post and contrary to what you may think, I am NOT upset with you OR your response!

You see Lee, the opposite of love is not hate, but rather "apathy". Apathy means that you don't even have an emotion or feelings for someone else but instead you just don't care about them like as if they don't even exist.

This is NOT the case with you however, nor is it with me. We BOTH have an extreme amount of passion for our love of music and also the piano. You don't ever have to tell me this as I know it by how involved you are with your piano magic courses as well as how active you are on these and other piano forums.

So, now that leaves us with two very passionate people wanting to do the same things (play piano and share our music) in the same place (the piano forums)

Normally, this in not a problem, (and probably won't be in the future), but it is possible that every once in a while tensions could flare up a bit....especially between the two very similar people!... competitiveness???... honestly?, probably.

Lee, you don't "really" know me as I don't "really" know you, no-one really does. but outside this piano forum, we are both probably very very similar individuals. We are both similar in age (I'm almost 40!) both have similar interests ( you own a gym, I used to be extremely active in many sports as well as bobybuilding) and we both seem to have an accelerated passion for learning and performing on the piano.

When you have so much in common, that can be a really good thing, however, it could also create some conflict.

Lee, I believe that you and I may possibly have reached that point where the "conflict alarm bell" is starting to ring! this would be caused by one of the two members in question (me and you) probably stepping over the competitive line; and that person to breach this line was me!

Lee, what you did was to post a beutifull song that you had recorded (a time for love from Romeo and Juliet). I very much enjoyed your song but rather than compliment you on the nice job that you did, a thought occured to me instead. To myself, I realized that this was a very popular song and i wondered if I too could play it.

Long story short, I looked it up in my fakebook collection and found it and without even an ounce of a further thought, quickly went to play it and record it.

As you know, my "version" of this song was posted in a reply to you in a matter of 5-minutes.

Two things happened, one good and one bad.

1.) what I tried to do (and did) was show to you and others how incredibly easy it is to play from fakebooks once you know how. I wanted to show that in just a matter of a few minutes, I was able to perform this song as well via the fakebook method. Someone who can read from fakebooks can do this literally with just about ANY song, usually in just a few minutes as well.

I though that this would be the ultimate impromptu way to dispaly this ability as your version of the song was just posted, with my version being posted in just a matter of minutes later.

I had accomplished what I set out to do, (that being showing how fast that this particular method of playing can work.) Unfortunatelly, I did this at your expense.

2.) The "bad" thing was as I just mentioned, I totally displayed complete disregard for your song and all the work that went into it. In fact, I may have actually "discounted" your piece by so quickly posting another version of it on my own.

While I can understand how two competitive people could get in this situation, it still does not cancel out the fact that in this particular situation, I was just flat out "wrong"!!

Lee, please understand that my true "intent" was NOT and never has been to discount your recordings. REALLY!. My "true" intent was that of recognizing an opportunity to show how fast someone can learn and play a song via a particular method.

Unfortunatelly, I did this with complete disregard for your feelings and respect of your work; for this I am really really sorry.

Anyone who has followed this thread can most likely see what happened as clear as day. It's not really a hard call to make!, Super-Hunky got a little excited when he saw an opportunity and, well basically "F"-ed up!. This one backfired!

Lee, out of respect to you and your song,I have deleated my song entirely. As I have stated, my intentions were completelly misconstrued but that was my fault. Looking back at this from your perspective, I can certainly empathise with you that, while not intended to be, my post reply to you may have been in bad taste!

Like I said Lee, the fact that you've been mulling this over for a day now before responding even further convinces me of your love for music. when you are as passionate for something as we both are about music, emotions can understandably run a little high.

what I did (while not intended), was wrong, plain and simple. I want to thank you Lee for opening my eyes to this fact and also to remind me that it's not always about "me" !!

your concerns are well taken and will be very much considered before doing something like this again.

Just remember Lee, I'm NOT the village idiot, but he IS my best friend and we do everything together!!

P.S, your still my friend
thumb

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Hmmm;

One more thing, maybe I need to tone down the intensity a bit as well. In just this thread alone, I somehow managed to ****-off three people!

I said that sharons piano sounded like a harpsichord (I really do like the sound!)..she got mad at me.

I reffered to Tomas as maybe being a "ringer" as his playing is absolutelly incredible for only 2-months. he in fact was telling the truth.

And I showed complete disrespect for Seaside-Lee's song by a thoughtless reply.

Anyone else want to get offended by me? I'm not doing so well today.

Maybe this cave thing was'nt such a good idea

frown

B
B
Mr S-H

In my book, only a real man could say the things you just said .... and ...

Maybe this cave thing was'nt such a good idea
... I think most folks would rather have you here than in a cave smile

Balladeer

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Good posts Hunk. Be careful though, you just may be acquiring wisdom. eek

btw, the reason Sharon's song sounded like a harpsichord to you is because you listened to it via Microsoft's crappy software midi synthesizer. If you played it through your keyboard, then it would sound like the "Grand Piano" that it is.

To play it through your keyboard, you can either connect the keyboard to your computer via midi cables, or if your keyboard supports it (I think Rodney said it does), copy the midi to removable media and play it on the keyboard.

What you experienced is the reason I converted the midi files that were submitted to me for the recital to MP3.

As for your reaction to Tomas, I don't think apologies are in order. I'm sure he took our amazement as a compliment. When I received his recital entry, I just HAD to email him for more information because his submission just blew me away! He is obviously very, very talented.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mr. S-H.

I did not indeed get mad at you re harpsichord - i thought it was funny (and I was itching to use that tiki graemlin and it was a perfect opportunity.

Sharon smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
double post, sorry.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission