Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1055536 - 09/18/04 01:40 PM My Photos of -- Guiomar Novaes, Alexander Smallens and MEEE at Lewissohn Stadium
zongora Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Hi all,

I guess it’s about time for another one of my “My Photos of” series. I have previously posted them on the “Pianist’s Corner” and “Piano Forum”, but I think this time I’ll enter it on what Apple calls “The Goodest Forum”. What the heck -- I’m not a pro and I’m certainly an adult, so I feel it’s O.K. here.

One of the truly great pianists of the 20th Century and also one of my favorite was the Brazilian born Guiomar Novaes. She was born in Sao Joao Boa Vista February 28, 1895 and died also in Brazil in 1979.

I had the pleasure of not only seeing her, but speaking and photographing her at a rehearsal in the Lewissohn Stadium in New York way back on June 26, 1958. She was performing the Schumann a minor with the also famous Alexander Smallens.

I recently heard a recording of her (not the first time) of the Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No 10. Nothing like I’ve ever heard before with her pedaling overtones. Anyone who likes this piece I recommend should listen to it.

You can read about her here. ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rpassarj/guiomar.html

Scroll down to “Her Repertoire” and click to see the extraordinary one that she had. I found it extremely interesting as there were so many composers and pieces that I never heard of. Would be kind of fun to investigate some.

She was married to the Brazilian Architect but better known composer Octavio Pinto. She asked me to photograph her and was kind enough to autograph one of her and myself together with a personal note, and when she did, she signed it “Guiomar Novaes Pinto”.

A wonderful artist and lady of whom I have the utmost praise and respect. One of the nicest of all the artists that I’ve encountered.

Here are a few of the many, many shots I took that day.

Here Mme. Novaes and Smallens in an obvious pose for me.

[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/genem825/myhomepage/novaes%20no.4.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]

Two of the many shots I took of Novaes.

[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/genem825/myhomepage/novaes%20no.7.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]

[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/genem825/myhomepage/novaes%20no.9.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]

Handed the camera to someone during conversation and told him to fire away.

[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/genem825/myhomepage/novaes%20no.13.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]

[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/genem825/myhomepage/novaes%20no.16.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]

A portion of a quote by Mme. Novaes that I like very much from “Great Men and Famous Musicians on The Art of Music” by James Frances Cooke.

“He who would enter the sacred temple of art must keep his soul pure. The child from his very first steps in art should be made to realize that he is a missionary and not a mercenary. Real art is a devotion, not a financial expediency”.

God Bless this great lady.

Thanks for viewing my post.

Zongora

P.S. Apple -- Lots of luck with your new teacher. I’m certain from what I read with your enthusiasm and “addiction” you’ll have your two etudes expanded to twenty four, plus the Trois in no time.

P.P.S. If anyone is interested in Abbey Simon, I posted a few old flyers and an interesting program on him from Carnegie Hall in the “Pianist’s Corner” . It’s in a reply to the “Master Class with Abbey Simon” thread a few days ago.

Note:
These photos are protected by the copyright law and must not be reproduced.
COPR.ZONGORA

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1055537 - 09/18/04 02:06 PM Re: My Photos of -- Guiomar Novaes, Alexander Smallens and MEEE at Lewissohn Stadium
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
what a lovely post. I quickly clinked on her link... Her music still playing.. How delightful.

Zongora... why did you take all your photographs. Were you a paid photographer?

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1055538 - 09/18/04 08:57 PM Re: My Photos of -- Guiomar Novaes, Alexander Smallens and MEEE at Lewissohn Stadium
zongora Offline

Apple,

No, I was not a paid photographer and have never accepted any payment from Novaes or anyone else. The photos were given to her by myself and in return she thanked me with a personal autograph on one of them.

The reason I took all these photos and others is because my greatest joy is music, and every form of art I do or ever did, whether it be painting, sculpture, photography or just plain reading is related to it. I don't do any of these things for money.

Of course I painted, sculptured and photographed other subjects as well, but music always seemed to stick it’s nose in and take precedence.

Thanks for your kind words.

Zongora

#1055539 - 09/19/04 09:25 AM Re: My Photos of -- Guiomar Novaes, Alexander Smallens and MEEE at Lewissohn Stadium
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tewksbury MA
Zongora,

If I've read your post correctly, that would be you standing next to the piano listening/watching Mme. Novaes at the piano. (??)

Besides the fact that you are tall, dark and handsome, how were you able to be backstage with the featured performer?

If I come off sounding a bit nosey, I'm truly not trying to be. Just curious as to how you were so fortunate to have been photographed and have what appears a private session with the guest performer.

Oh well, for whatever reason, it's not necessary to explain. I do find your posts intriguing and appreciate your willingness to share any stories.

Thanks for the direction over to the Abbey Simon thread. Enjoyed that one, too!

Terry

#1055540 - 09/20/04 08:38 AM Re: My Photos of -- Guiomar Novaes, Alexander Smallens and MEEE at Lewissohn Stadium
zongora Offline

Terry,

It was one of the many rehearsals I used to attend way back then, and she was just a very lovely, obliging person to everyone. Besides, as I have mentioned above, she asked me to take the shots. It was after everyone cleared out.

However, they weren't all that way. Many were very private and you couldn't get near them.

Thanks for the reply.

Zongora

#1055541 - 09/20/04 08:41 AM Re: My Photos of -- Guiomar Novaes, Alexander Smallens and MEEE at Lewissohn Stadium
netizen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Zongora,

Thanks for sharing these photos. I really like seeing them. Maybe they should have their space on Piano World...

#1055542 - 09/20/04 12:49 PM Re: My Photos of -- Guiomar Novaes, Alexander Smallens and MEEE at Lewissohn Stadium
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Zongora,

yes, thank you so much. I've always had great affection for Novaes and her musicality. I only wish all of her recordings were made available.

Ken

#1055543 - 09/23/04 06:41 PM Re: My Photos of -- Guiomar Novaes, Alexander Smallens and MEEE at Lewissohn Stadium
pdolce Offline

Loc: CA.
Zongora,

Thanks for the post and photos. I really enjoyed them all. I was just speaking of you, not by name of course, on another website I frequent.
A member was trying to take a picture of a famous violinist at open rehearsal and he said a man in a tuxedo rushed over and told him he wasn't allowed to take photos.
I told him about your photos and we also wondered how you got all those photos. I thought maybe the rules weren't so strict when you were taking your photos, as they are now.
Anyway, thanks again.

pdolce

#1055544 - 09/24/04 09:04 PM Re: My Photos of -- Guiomar Novaes, Alexander Smallens and MEEE at Lewissohn Stadium
zongora Offline

pdolce,

You are absolutely correct in saying that rules back then weren't what they are today. Just a few years later I stopped taking them because I started to get a hard time from ushers, etc.

However, even back then it was up to the particular soloist. Most were very friendly and never said anything, letting you take as many as you wanted to without paying any attention to you. Some even enjoyed it. Like I said in the post, Mme. Novaes even asked me to. These were all the good guys.

AND THEN -- There were some that absolutely forbid it. A few were so private, you had to remain half way back in the stadium, and couldn't get anywhere near them. I've seen a few even being less than polite with another photographer who used to frequent the place.

I guess dem dar days are gone forever. Hey -- this was close to 50 years ago, and some even more.

Thanks for your reply.

Zongora

#1055545 - 09/25/04 04:50 PM Re: My Photos of -- Guiomar Novaes, Alexander Smallens and MEEE at Lewissohn Stadium
pdolce Offline

Loc: CA.
Zongora,

Ah yes, the good old days are gone. Tis a shame.
Thanks for your reply to my reply. ;\)

pdolce

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Exorcist movie main theme
by Danijelcro
09/23/14 12:03 PM
Free Cunningham Piano Company Grand Piano
by Rich D.
09/23/14 11:05 AM
Baldwin capo: a metallic-buzz sound generating system
by A443
09/23/14 11:00 AM
MP11 sustain pedal (F30) release: possible issue?
by kanadajin
09/23/14 10:59 AM
Chopin - Scherzo 1 Help
by YoungNoir
09/23/14 10:22 AM
Who's Online
147 registered (ajames, accordeur, ando, Alex75001, 46 invisible), 1559 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157709 Topics
2316516 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission