2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Seneca Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I am confused by piano instruction, and wonder if others share the confusion.

Outside the piano world, when people talk about teaching, they generally mean a teacher, a class (group of students), and material that is taught with lesson plans, in a curriculum, on a schedule (and for adults, at least, with a syllabus, as well as a textbook or other instructional materials). Tutoring is usually one on one, and frequently remedial, or at least tailored to address the specific needs or interests of an individual student rather than being cut to the general pattern of an established curriculum. And coaching usually refers to talent development and skills enhancement, frequently, but not necessarily athletic (after all, you have debate 'coaches').

In the piano world, and the beginner/intermediate levels, the format of 'teaching' looks to me a lot more like what the rest of the world calls 'tutoring' and, at advanced levels, more like 'coaching.' I think this leads to some problems.

It may also mean that video lessons and group lessons are actually a better, and not just a cheaper way, for some people to learn to play the piano. Especially with the teachers in their forum currently tussling over whether its appropriate to teach adults of the opposite sex (!) and arguing about the sadistic aspects of a some teachers' tendencies towards perfectionism. I found those threads kind of mindboggling.

Any thoughts?

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
I'm in the pro teacher camp. Especially in the early stages. There are so many tricks to the trade that you need to get started right.

S
Seneca Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Mark--

I agree a learner generally does better with an instructor. But that begs the question of differences in learning environments.

Group lessons, for instance, with the reinforcement among the students and a good group dynamic are, in many learning contexts, superior to isolated one-on-one instruction. In particular, the opportunity to benefit from observing the attention given other students and learning vicariously, if you will, can really contribute to early student progress in virtually all types of training.

Obviously, in a solitary video lesson, that group dynamic is sacrificed. But it is also sacrificed in one-on-one instruction.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission