Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1056800 - 08/12/07 09:31 AM Fingering chart anyone?
ZeroZero Offline

Loc: UK
I have been trawling the net for a fingering chart I can stick on the wall above my piano. I am just starting out and I want something I can glance and check - all on one page.
If I knew the correct fingerings i would write one out - but I am not sure, are there more than one "standard" fingerings for the twelve majors? I suppose that the harmonic minors are the same starting a m3 down? The melodic's similar?
Anyone have a source?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1056801 - 08/12/07 10:16 AM Re: Fingering chart anyone?
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
Fingering for all of the scales is in Hanon, Part II, starting with Exercise 39:

Hanon

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1056802 - 08/12/07 12:09 PM Re: Fingering chart anyone?
Donna R. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Alfred's Complete Book of Scales, Chords, Arpeggios & Cadences is an excellent resource.

#1056803 - 08/12/07 12:34 PM Re: Fingering chart anyone?
Varcon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mount Vernon, Georgia 30445
James Francis Cooke's compilation of history of scales, formation, classification, etc., with fingering of course, is one of the best, if not the best. Mastering the Scales and Arpeggios, published by Theodore Presser in Philadelphia (Bryn Mawr).

#1056804 - 08/12/07 02:22 PM Re: Fingering chart anyone?
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
TA-DAH!

For black keys: Think of using RH 2-3 (LH 3-2) on the groups of two black notes AND RH 2-3-4 (LH 4-3-2) will get you where you are going.
The fingering for C Major Scale transfers to several other keys - G,D,A,E, (RH) B same RH B starts with 4.

If you look at the two black notes there are 3 white keys in front (RH 1-2-3) look at the three black keys with 4 white keys in front (RH 1-2-3-4) Easy?

Then to find LH fingering for hands together: Go to Middle C with both thumbs on C, and let the RH lead the fingering choices for the LH as the RH ascends and the LH ascends from Middle C to the next octave (in opposite directions).

When you put the hands into parallel motion as in a scale, you use the ascending fingering for both hands (LH 5-4-3-2-1-3-2-1) with (LH 1-2-3-1-2-3-4-5) and vice versa.

A double check you can make for correctness is that the 3's will be playing at the same time in both hands.

By all means go slowly to learn this.

You could figure this out yourself for all fingering, actually, if you wanted to take the time. Then you would really own it.

I think charts are useful, but I think it's better known and understood - "Why?"

Let me know if you try it, and how you did. I accept PM's if you have a question.

Good luck!

#1056805 - 08/12/07 03:02 PM Re: Fingering chart anyone?
ZeroZero Offline

thanks betty will look into this, what I am looking for is some kind of downloadable thing for a quick check, anyone?

If not I shall write something out in a score package - this will probalby do me good ;\)

#1056806 - 08/13/07 01:04 PM Re: Fingering chart anyone?
candi bowen Offline

Loc: akron, ohio
Hi, I created this (so there are no copyright infringements) & posted it a while back & it's helped me immensely. Hope you like it! Candi

http://www.box.net/files#07180891

#1056807 - 08/14/07 08:18 PM Re: Fingering chart anyone?
ZeroZero Offline

Candi - I could not get this file. I even tried registering but I just get a loading menu with no load

Zero

#1056808 - 08/14/07 11:46 PM Re: Fingering chart anyone?
candi bowen Offline

Loc: akron, ohio
I'm sorry; I'm new at box.net file sharing. When I go to the site, I get linked right up. Try this - I posted it a few months ago & it worked for others. If it doesn't, let me know & I can just email you the PDF.

Candi

http://www.box.net/shared/78kx57heka

#1056809 - 08/15/07 04:49 PM Re: Fingering chart anyone?
ZeroZero Offline

Thanks for your efforts Candi, I got it now, though I was looking for a fingering chart, rather than note names - even so its kind of yoy to take the effort

Zero

#1056810 - 03/01/08 12:49 AM Re: Fingering chart anyone?
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Not sure if I should make this a new thread. I found this site in December. Through some link somewhere here I found a dowloadable copy of James Cooke's "Mastering Scales and Arpeggios" - I'm sure it was a purchased download. My hard drive died a few weeks ago and I lost everything I had stored on it. I want to get Cooke's book again but I can't find it. There are plenty of hard copy books available, but I found it convenient having it sitting in the computer and only printing out the pages that I need at the time. I have so much music lying around as it is.

Would anyone know where i might have found it two months ago?

#1056811 - 03/01/08 04:59 AM Re: Fingering chart anyone?
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
 Quote:
Originally posted by keystring:
Not sure if I should make this a new thread. I found this site in December. Through some link somewhere here I found a dowloadable copy of James Cooke's "Mastering Scales and Arpeggios" - I'm sure it was a purchased download. My hard drive died a few weeks ago and I lost everything I had stored on it. I want to get Cooke's book again but I can't find it. There are plenty of hard copy books available, but I found it convenient having it sitting in the computer and only printing out the pages that I need at the time. I have so much music lying around as it is.

Would anyone know where i might have found it two months ago? [/b]
Here's the thread with the link for Cooke's book:

Mastering Scales and Arpeggios

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1056812 - 03/01/08 07:04 AM Re: Fingering chart anyone?

Dannylux,

Thank you!!!!!

#1056813 - 03/01/08 07:39 AM Re: Fingering chart anyone?
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
Hey Dannylux - somehow I missed this first time around...

What a great resource. I just spent my AM practicing time reading the foreward.

Thanks, Mel. Off to Office Depot to buy some quality paper.....

#1056814 - 03/01/08 08:46 AM Re: Fingering chart anyone?

It is an extremely rich, thorough, and comprehensive resource and guide. It was a real loss when it disappeared along with my hard drive. Each step seems to prepare for something. Preparing the thumb ahead of doing a full scale, and then the radiating exercises in preparation for multi-octave scales ... priceless.

Why is it that in comparison to the old books, the modern ones seem empty of substance and trying to do the work for the student?

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
55 minutes 38 seconds ago
Grigory Sokolov releases album
by wimpiano
Today at 03:11 AM
Lindblad Steinway rebuilt pianos
by brahms
Today at 02:54 AM
Got the VPC1! Hooked up the Ivory! Played Brahms.
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 02:13 AM
Pianos of Downton Abbey
by Almaviva
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Who's Online
59 registered (angga888, Beemer, beet31425, 15 invisible), 1057 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76620 Members
42 Forums
158436 Topics
2326671 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission