2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,889 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
zoelee Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I came across this article on Yahoo. It's quite interesting. Check it out and let me know what you think:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070827/en_nm/gene_pitch_dc

Zoe Lee
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
zoelee...Good info and thank you. Sandy B

Sandra M. Boletchek 08/02/06
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i would agree what's said there. my teacher has it and he started playing piano when he's 5 or 6.

Z
zoelee Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
So I guess based on the article, early training is really important. I think I'll try it on my baby boy smile

But the boy's dad is self-claimed tone deaf, not sure if it will make the training more difficult smile

Zoe Lee
I was surprised that only 1 out of 10000 have it, since I know at least 4 (all pianists) in a theory class of 25. According to the article though, training may or may not cultivate it, how much of a role do genes play?

Here's another study article in NY Times regarding this.

This one says 1 out of 2000 have it. It's kind of old so I don't know if it's outdated. Note that only 10% of Juilliard students have perfect pitch, again- nature vs. nurture. People who don't have the genes also can be trained to develop a sense of pitch. Also in the article, people without music training have been tested and judged to have perfect pitch.

The Wikipedia entry on absolute pitch suggests that 1 in 10,000 people have "active" absolute pitch which is the ability to sing a given note on command. I imagine "passive" absolute pitch - which is the ability to identify individual notes that are heard - is more common.

It's interesting to note that absolute pitch is far more common among autistics, savants, and children of East Asian descent. It's also interesting to note that there seems to be a very narrow "critical" window between the ages of 2 to 4 during which children learn and acquire absolute pitch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_pitch

Z
zoelee Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Wow that's interesting info Krypt0. Now you've narrowed the window from before 7 to 2-4 smile

Zoe Lee
My aunt had it. And in her case it was a curse, not a blessing. She was able to recognise not only every sound she heard, but the noise too. I remember once, I dropped a pair of scissors.
Her only comment was: "Hm, it is a F#"

Living with this was rather disturbing for her, and she was not a professional musician.

Living well is the best revenge.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It is true that absolute pitch is more prevalent among Asians, who speak their native (tonal) language:

The prevalence of absolute pitch is considerably higher among individuals with early childhood in East Asia than among other groups. This difference has been suggested to be racial in origin. However, individuals of East Asian heritage with early childhood in the United States or Canada do not have a higher prevalence of absolute pitch than do Caucasians with early childhood in the United States or Canada; this difference in prevalence therefore cannot be explained on genetic grounds. It should be noted that many East Asians (such as those in China) speak tone languages such as Mandarin and Cantonese, while others (such as those in Japan and certain provinces of Korea) speak pitch accent languages; this prevalence difference could therefore be due to exposure to pitches together with meaningful labels very early in life
source

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
One gene - I can believe it. I'm the wife of a guy and the mother of a daughter with perfect pitch. Critics both of them but I'm the only serious musician in the house. Can you hear me grinding my teeth in frustration?

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Originally posted by Eternal:
[QB] It is true that absolute pitch is more prevalent among Asians, who speak their native (tonal) language:
Haha that is very interesting...
Everyone I know with perfect pitch is Asian- or maybe it's just because I know too many Asians?

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
1 out of 10,000 people wow...I have it. lol, that's scary, the only people whom I know who have it is my piano teacher and her daughter.

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
B
B
Too bad, my native tongue is tonal but I did not start studying any instrument until I was about 8 so I missed the boat. Rats... I could have had perfect pitch frown
I like the idea of the gene though, nobody in my family has a perfect pitch as far as I know. None of my relatives play any instruments except the microphone occasionally in karaoke bar!

However I am not sure if I buy the reason why the easiest pitch to miss is G sharp and that it is truely overshadow by A. The half tone interval occurs all over the place and just because orchestra tunes their pitch to A, it is not as if A is the most common note by far and none of the audience with perfect pitch tune their ears to A before listening so I doubt that that is the real explanation.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission