Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1057482 - 04/27/05 08:07 PM Found a beautiful easy piece
Horace Offline
500 Post Club Member

It was in one of my sight-reading books, Easy Classics to Moderns vol. 17, page 121. It's called Evening in the Meadow, by Vladimir Rebikoff. Any beginner looking for something good that's not too overplayed might want to check it out! It's gorgeous, in my opinion. The character of the piece is a lot like "Christmas Time is Here" by Vince Guaraldi, from the Peanuts specials.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1057483 - 04/28/05 05:21 PM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
pdolce Offline

Loc: CA.
Horace,

I've played that piece. Beautiful, isn't it? For some reason it has a Native American sound to me.
I really do like it.

pdolce

#1057484 - 04/29/05 12:35 PM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
mikewu99 Offline

Loc: Audubon, PA
I think I've payed this piece, but the title was translated as "Evening in the Country". I agree it has a Native American sound, particulary the first theme (not so much the second dance-like theme).

#1057485 - 04/29/05 03:51 PM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
menancyandsam Offline

Loc: Los Angeles Area
Will you scan the score & post?

Thanks

#1057486 - 04/29/05 03:56 PM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
Shalanna Offline

Loc: Dallas area, Texas
I would also love to see a PDF of this piece, because as it turns out, my library of Denes Agay "Classics to Moderns" starts with "More Easy Classics to Moderns" and goes to the Intermediate. I just don't have that volume. My teacher of two years ago and I decided I should start with the next volume for sight-reading, about halfway through it where things get a bit harder.

But I don't think it would be a good idea to post it here. Maybe post a link to it on another site. Y'know, just being careful and all.

#1057487 - 04/29/05 09:37 PM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
cathys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
Mike - You might be thinking of a Bartok piece named Evening in the Country (or I could be mistaken) but I've played the Bartok piece.

Cathy

#1057488 - 04/30/05 05:07 PM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
Horace Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've been wanting to play around with notation software anyway, so I downloaded Finale's free Notepad and put the piece in there. I couldn't save it to a PDF but I got some JPGs that should be easily printable:

Page 1

Page 2

You might be better off right-clicking the links and choosing "save as" to get the jpgs on your local disk where you can view and print them from something other than your browser.

(This was composed around the 1910s I think, so it's certainly in the public domain.)

#1057489 - 05/01/05 03:43 PM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
Rodolpho Portamento Fritzweil Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Shalanna:
I would also love to see a PDF of this piece, because as it turns out, my library of Denes Agay "Classics to Moderns" starts with "More Easy Classics to Moderns" and goes to the Intermediate. I just don't have that volume. My teacher of two years ago and I decided I should start with the next volume for sight-reading, about halfway through it where things get a bit harder.

But I don't think it would be a good idea to post it here. Maybe post a link to it on another site. Y'know, just being careful and all. [/b]
It's in vol. 17. The book costs 14 us bucks. If you really really want a PDF of the piece write me at raduf@writeme.com from a real e-mail address and I'll scan it and convert to PDF for you.

Actually, in this style , there are a lot of sweet little pieces by russian composers (Maykapar, Rakov, Shostakovitch - the Puppet Dances).

#1057490 - 05/01/05 08:25 PM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tillamook, Oregon
Thanks, Horace! I have printed them out and will give it a try when I feel confident enough to tackle those LH chords.

#1057491 - 05/02/05 05:26 AM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
Looks like a pretty piece.

One caveat though, I don't know about this particular work, but most are copyrighted. You might want to be careful to check.. don't want to get Frank in hot water over us saving $14.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#1057492 - 05/02/05 06:30 AM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
Ermo Offline

There are several used copies listed on half.com for under $10. Heck...a couple under $5. Tip of the day.

#1057493 - 05/02/05 06:31 AM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
mikewu99 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cathys:
Mike - You might be thinking of a Bartok piece named Evening in the Country (or I could be mistaken) but I've played the Bartok piece.

Cathy [/b]
You're right, that's what I get for relying on memory. \:\( The book I have it in has both Bartok and Rebikov.

I should have guessed I was confused, the Bartok piece isn't too terribly hard but not what I would consider easy...

#1057494 - 05/02/05 07:17 AM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
Horace Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikhailoh:
Looks like a pretty piece.

One caveat though, I don't know about this particular work, but most are copyrighted. You might want to be careful to check.. don't want to get Frank in hot water over us saving $14. [/b]
Since it was published before 1923, chances are overwhelming it's in the public domain. Especially considering it was in the compilation book to begin with.

#1057495 - 05/02/05 07:39 AM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
 Quote:
Originally posted by Horace:
Since it was composed before 1923, chances are overwhelming it's in the public domain. Especially considering it was in the compilation book to begin with. [/b]
I'm not sure the date of composition of a musical work has much to do with the copyright on a particular publication of a score for that work.
Estonia L168 #1718

#1057496 - 05/02/05 08:19 AM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
Horace Offline
500 Post Club Member

Anybody who's interested can do a Google search on "1923 copyright" (without the quotes).

#1057497 - 05/02/05 08:22 AM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

That's fine.. we just have a duty as guests to be careful about these things.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#1057498 - 05/02/05 11:52 AM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
mikewu99 Offline

Just because early editions of a piece were published before 1923 and are in the public domain does not mean that more recent editions are. Many editions contain considerably more (or at least different) editorial content than other editions and therefore are not in the public domain. Compare an Alfred's Masterworks edition to an urtext edition. Furthermore, even urtext editions may contain the results of academic study clarifying the composer's intent and may be copyrighted.

#1057499 - 05/02/05 12:38 PM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
Horace Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well the piece I've posted a link to is no edition at all, it is my own transciption into a free musical notation software package based on the public domain notes composed and published before 1923.

#1057500 - 05/03/05 12:21 PM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
Rob Mullins Offline

Loc: LA CA
Hi,
It was nice to see at least some posters on this thread thinking about the publisher and potentially a composer getting paid for what they do. People scanning and posting pdf's of copywritten material is illegal, and pretty much as uncool as you can get if you really think about it. Sheetmusicplus.com is a place where you can get most piano music and Easy Classics to Moderns isn't exactly hard to find.
At some point, teachers and students should look at the composer's and publisher's points of view and at least realize that those of us who compose and publish music for everyone deserve to be paid for what we do-especially if all you are talking about is a fourteen dollar book.

#1057501 - 05/03/05 03:29 PM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

The only piece I can find by Rebikoff in public domain is Chinese Doll. The version of Evening is listed in that book as coyright 1956.

I doubt Rebikoff still lives, or that his descendants are reaping the rewards of his work, but we still, I repeat, have to be careful what we post on here. It's not our bulletin board.

====

#1057502 - 05/03/05 03:46 PM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
Horace Offline
500 Post Club Member

That particular publication of it is (c). The notes are in the public domain. Every Shakespeare book you buy at the store is copyrighted but you can still type the words out and distribute your own transcription freely.

#1057503 - 05/08/05 02:44 AM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
Shalanna Offline

Loc: Dallas area, Texas
Interesting quandary. For now, I think I'll have to keep an eye out for the vol. 17 of Agay on sale or at the "midnight madness" special at the music store. I have those other books of his (plus "The Joy of Playing for Pleasure" and "The Joy of French Piano Music" and a couple of others) and I like them pretty well.

#1057504 - 05/08/05 12:26 PM Re: Found a beautiful easy piece
Horace Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shalanna:
Interesting quandary.[/b]
It's a quandary as much as it's a quandary to avail onself of the sheet music available for free download at sheetmusicarchive.net, for instance. Which is to say, it's not a quandary.

There may be arguments from an abstract perspective about the distribution of copyrighted music in general, but when it comes to public domain music by long-dead composers, let's not pretend that the composers would want their music restricted in any way. Their legacy isn't royalties (which do not exist for public domain works; by buying a compilation of PD works you support the publisher of the compilation and nobody else), their legacy is the enjoyment of their music.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Stay safe, Ottawa
by jehalliday
10/22/14 03:51 PM
Which Books did Chopin Study?
by Batuhan
10/22/14 03:12 PM
Study Group - Mozart Sonata n13 KV 333
by Doritos Flavoured
10/22/14 02:40 PM
Broken Wrist
by sonataplayer
10/22/14 02:26 PM
Music notation software on iPad
by Nordomus
10/22/14 01:38 PM
Who's Online
154 registered (ajames, anamnesis, ando, 41 invisible), 1684 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76619 Members
42 Forums
158422 Topics
2326488 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission