2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
i'm around 20, and i'm just going to start to learn? is this too old?

Absolutely not! Anyone can learn and at any age.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I was 38 when I started my lessons.

So that means you have 18 years before it's too late! wink

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I started lessons for my 37th birthday. Have fun!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
if you want to be a concert pianist, it is perhaps too late. but other than that, it is not!

If you think you're too old, you're too old. But don't think for somebody else!

If you play mistakes, OK
If your technique is not perfect, we can live with that
But if you play boring,
I'll chop off your fingers and feed them to the dogs
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
the day before you die is probably too old, other than that, go for it!

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."
-- Ernie Stires, composer
L
L
Only when you're six feet under.

_ _ ___________________________ _ _
"There are no shortcuts to anything worth doing." Beverly Sills
S
OP Offline
S
Originally posted by signa:
if you want to be a concert pianist, it is perhaps too late. but other than that, it is not!
so it's really too late to become a concert pianist?

My belief is yes, it's too late at 20 to be a concert pianist. (you may want to see past threads to define concert pianist).

The reason it's too late, is that you have missed out on very important small motor development. When you begin piano as a child, you have a window of time when your physical body is growing. It's important that during this time you train your small motor skills. (clarity and speed technically) Generally, what I was taught in college, is that you have until the early teens before the window "closes".

That being said, it doesn't mean you can't learn and be proficient at the piano. You just may not reach the level of a true concert artist with absolute fluency at the keyboard.

Cranky Woman laugh

J
J
I am 73 and started about 4 yrs ago. I am getting better each day. I started out with childrens books and now have over one hundred books and sheet music that I have purchased. Be patient and play several hours a day. If you make mistakes, so what. I still make mistakes. I'm human.

L
L
You've got me beat James. I started learning piano early, when I was only 65 smile It's been a year now, and so far, so good.

When I was 20, a friend said I was too old to start learning the piano and I wasted 3 yrs by thinking I did'nt have the ability and couldn't learn before I started regular piano lessons. Not only did I learn but the more I played the better I got. So go for it!!!!

S
OP Offline
S
I did a search on concert pianist in this forum and found nothing that defined it. soo..uh, what exactly is a concert pianist? also, is this belief about learning too late to become a concert pianist universal? its really kinda discouraging.
and does this apply to other instruments as well?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
a concert pianist is known as a pianist making living by doing recitals and concerts. it means that he will be traveling to anywhere (if got invitation to play) or touring around US or even world to play with orchestras or make appearance at music festivals or something like that.

but as i heard, not many pianists make it to the concert pianist level, because only the best or the important competition winners would beat the crowd and make it to concert circle and get well paid.

i only heard those from other's talking...

so, if you start when you are 20, it is probably too late to be in such a field because many talented pianists have started very young and you may not be able to compete with the crowd like this. it's never too late or too old to learn playing piano, but it is not realistic perhaps for you to dream about the path to become a concert pianist. a lot of pianists end up doing teaching piano/music or doing something else. i think the competition in any music instrument field is fierce, and only the best survives and becomes a member of an orchestra or soloist.

20 plus is always not too old....I have start my lesson on 26.Just do it (not NIKE adveristment)

Never get influence by wat others say.Focus...focus...focus.

NEVER live to regrets!!!

L
L
My teacher says no one is too old to learn piano, and that simply ANYONE can learn to play the piano. I can vouch for that smile That doesnt mean it is easy. It will take a few years to get to where you want to be, and you do have to want to do it, or you probably wont stick with it.

If you search www.wikipedia.org for either pianist or jazz musician, you get long lists of performers including short biographies. All of them started extremely early, like age 3, and were doing their best work when they turned twenty (after 15 years of practice). There could be an exception somewhere, but a quick search did not find one.

It is said this is due to the early developing brain, which could be, I dont know. However, very many of these world class people were outright prodigies too, or at least had very unusual interests and unusual skills. OTOH, very many 5 year olds also instead give it up long before they ever become a concert pianist smile So while I have no clue myself, I am less sure if age is the only factor, or how important this age factor actually is. I have no way to know, but it may just be true that if you "have it", it probably does show up early too.

But... regardless, the rest of us dont have to be anywhere near that world class level to really enjoy learning piano. I suspect if they interviewed all church pianists or other such very good pianists who didnt make the "best in the world" list, probably many of them were not a star at age 20 either.

I think "just do it" was the best advice.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
I am 51 years and in my second month of piano lessons.

I do not expect to attain the skill level of concert pianists.

But I also do not expect to remain a clutzy eternal beginner amateur. I expect to achieve a reasonable level of fluency and technique, sufficient to play what I might need to in certain limited performance situations.

At 20 you will learn faster than I do. Take advantage of it while you can!

gotta go practice
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i started at 20 and i thought it would take ten years to play the things i wanted to. but it happened so much faster then that because i was so serious about playing. from my point of view, obstacles to becoming a concert pianist often come from a need to survive. life gets in the way when you are older. when you are young you have loads of time and support to do whatever you want(at least it's more likely that you do). i tried my best to continue my fast progress but after 2 years i ended up unintentionally quitting for a year and a half. now i'm back but it's all for fun this time smile
i think it's better to play just for the joy of playing. if you end up with too many pressures it can start to feel like a job.

V
V
I started 10 months ago at age 54 and find the biggest challenge physical, my tight finger muscles and tendons. I go through a ritual of stretching and soaking in warm water to loosen up, hurts so good! At 20, you probably don't have to deal with such issues, lucky you.

I played woodwinds as a kid from age 10-20 and intermittently thereafter so I do have a foundation and this helps a lot. But is ain’t the piano. I expect many give up in the motivation department (practice, practice practice) before realizing the limits of their talent and capabilities. The same would apply in almost any endeavor. I also suppose that most at the highest echelon of the art/craft started young with a continuing expanding and burning desire. These folks have pushed their talent potential and continue to pursue the boundaries through perseverance and total dedication. How many prodigies are out there, really?

I read this from a link supplied by a generous member of this community. When a woman gushed over Fritz Kreisler's performance at a concert performance. "Mr Kreisler, I would give my life to play like that" to which he replied, "I have".

Go for it, "too old" is a limiter we impose on ourselves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission