2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
for those who have taken or seen others taking the ABRSM (piano) grade examinations.. what's the fastest progress you have ever seen? For instance, reaching grade 8 from scratch in like 4years or something? what's the standard time gap between each grade that an average pianist should spend? i just started out.. just curious to check if i'm on track in the future.. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It all rather depends on how old you are now, what age you started, your teacher, your motivation, available practice time, whether you already read music, etc. Info like that will enable others to make more specific comments.

By way of two examples, my better half started from scratch when she was about 14 and took ABRSM Grade 7 when she was 18. She already played the violin quite well and obviously knew how to read music. Then again, she had lots of schoolwork (O and A levels) during that period[1]. On the other hand, I started at age 6 and took Grade 8 at age 14. There were periods where I was more motivated and made more progress, and others where I seemed to be marking time a bit, so it wasn't really "one per year." I did start a bit slowly perhaps, and made quite a lot of progress once I changed teachers at around 10 years old. In contrast to Mrs B though, it was my first exposure to music notation. Also I was being not hot-housed at some conservatory/music school by pushy parents, just a normal state-school kid having piano lessons with the local teacher, so I very much doubt that this rate of progress is exceptional.

The important thing is go at your own pace, preferably with the guidance of a good teacher. It really doesn't matter at what rate you progress, as long as you are enjoying what you do and get something out of it.

-Michael B.
[1] She then gave up piano once out of school, and took a few classical guitar lessons in her 20s. She has recently taken up the guitar again (some 20 years later) with a local teacher, and is greatly enjoying it.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It took me nearly 8 years. I was a child though and forced to practice, so you could say I was doing it under semi-duress.

Someone who actually practised could do it in half that time. Especially with a good teacher.

If I were an adult starting afresh, I dont think I would bother with the lower grades at all. I would probably get myslef up to about grade 4 or 5 and start at that point. That would short cut the process quite a bit.

Dont forget that you will need to learn theory to progress above grade 5. Start that now!

Good luck

Adrian

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
S
OP Offline
S
okay.. just some background information about myself. I'm 18years old.. just started my piano lessons a few weeks ago. not under any stress, learning on my own accord. now waiting for national service.. so i practically have 24/7 to practise on my piano. no past music background, but personally.. i love playing PC music games.. so i kind of developed a good sense of rhythm by myself, does that help?

honestly speaking, the main reason i took up graded piano lessons is because firstly, i can get my certification, and hopefully be able to teach in the future ( a backup for my career ), and secondly, as time progresses, i'd be able to read all sheet music and play my favourite pop music ( that's my main interest actually ).

My piano teacher mentioned that for an average pianist.. it would take roughly a year for each grade ( till 8 ).

yup adrian, I wanted to take grade 5 straight.. but it seems pretty risky, isn't it? the fees aren't cheap.. my teacher's planning to let me take grade 3 next year.. and yeah.. she's teaching me grade 1 theory already..

PoStTeNeBrAsLuX : 4years to grade7 was impressive! furthermore you mentioned she had schoolwork.. that's way cool..

You may know but in case you don't know - there's an ABRSM forum for the students - you can ask your question there, too and get even more answers. The link: http://forums.abrsm.org/

Attitude is everything.
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Please excuse my ignorance, but what EXACTLY is is the ABRSM examination?

Specifically, how is the exam given, by whom and who is eligible to take it ...and where do you take it...whatever it is?

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
M
M
I took the grade 8 exam 3 months after I started playing!

Course I was laughed out of the testing room, someone even whacked me with a conductor stick.

I think they were antisemites.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Kathleen,

but what EXACTLY is is the ABRSM examination?

It is not just one examination... for instrumental performance there are grades 1 to 8, followed by three levels of diploma. There are also exams in piano pedagogy, as well as for ensembles, choirs, jazz, etc.

ABRSM stands for "Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music," which are the following:

Royal Academy of Music (London)
Royal College of Music (London)
Royal Northern College of Music (Manchester)
Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama (Glasgow)

http://abrsm.org
"Welcome to The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music, the world's leading music examining board. Over 620,000 candidates take our music exams each year in more than 90 countries around the world. We also run professional development courses for teachers and ABRSM Publishing publishes a wide range of repertoire, music books and CDs."

-Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you, Michael. I think I'll take a pass.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The ABRSM system is very well known in the UK and has gained increasing international acceptance.

Grade 8 is regarded by many as a pinnacle, but it isn't really.

The diploma examinations (the one that interests me is performance) are a major step above Grade 8. The grade progressions themselves are not especially linear (the gap from grade 7 to 8 is bigger in my view than the gap from 6 to 7).

The idea of the Diploma (also avaialble in teaching) is to demonstrate a professional standard. There are further qualifications above this.

A

EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
"The idea of the Diploma (also avaialble in teaching) is to demonstrate a professional standard. There are further qualifications above this."

AJB: At what Grade can one teach? Is it 7 or 8

Can you jump in at any level or do you have to work through sequentially?

Do they welcome adult returners/beginners?

EJR

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I'm so glad this came up. I was looking at a link someone posted to the ABRSM grading system of pieces, and the difficulty sure did seem to jump more between some levels than others. Now I understand it a little better.

Do many adults do this?

Nancy

Estonia 168
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
EJR,

Anyone can advertise themselves as a teacher even with no qualifications at all, and none of the ABRSM practical examinations are considered an 'official' qualfication to teach. However at diploma level there are specific qualifications in teaching (and indeed Music Direction) as well as performance.

A quick look through the requirements of the teaching diploma would seem to imply that the DipABRSM (instrumental/vocal teaching) is intended to asses those who teach (or plan to teach) an instrument (or voice) as far as Grade 6. You are not required to have taught before, so this is an introductory qualification as it were. The pre-requisite for entry is a Grade 8 practical (or equivalent, e.g. Canadian Grade 9) in the instrument as well as Grade 6 Theory. So if one takes this and passes it, one could be considered to be qualified to teach up to Grade 6.

The next level diploma is LRSM, for which the pre-requisite is the above-mentioned DipABRSM (teaching) plus Grade 8 Theory. This qualification (whose requirements include video and case study sections) is considered to be a qualification to teach up to Grade 8.

[EDIT: And above that is an FRSM (teaching) intended to assess those wishing to prove their ability to teach DipABRSM performance pupils]

As far as the basic practical exams are concerned, one can jump in at any level, and miss them out on the way[1], as you like up to Grade 8; however entry for the performance diplomas have pre-requisites[2].

-Michael B.
[1] I did Grades 4,5,6 and 8 on the piano and 3,4,5,6 and 8 on flute, though at the time (late 70's/early 1980's) these were the only exams upto Grade 8 that they offered for wind instruments: these days they seem to have all levels from 1 to 8 for most instruments.
[2] I am preparing to enter for a DipABRSM this summer, a mere 27 years after passing my Grade 8 wink .

D
D
Im about to take my grade 8 abrsm exam in march and have been playing piano now 4.5 years.

I passed grade 5 theory and practical in spring 2004,then spent 18 months on 6 and 7 but not taking the exam but my teacher agreed I achieved the standard for 6 and 7 so rather than spend money on takeing the exams I have progressed to 8 and have took my time over 18 months for preperation for this grade 8 and now i feel ready.

I have no problem in learning the pieces and scales etc,but because I have achieved so much in a short space of time I will admit that my sight reading and aural do suffer.
Regards

Daren

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Daren,

Best of luck with the exam. I see by your profile that you are all of 3 months older than me smile . Did you have no music experience at all before starting piano lessons four and half years ago? You certainly seem to have been very dedicated and have made impressive progress. Which pieces have you chosen for March, if I might be so nosey?

-Michael B.

AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Just one addendum to Michael B's post. I have not checked the syllabus (available in full as a PDF on line) but I believe that in order to enter grade 8, one must first have passed grade 5 theory.

A

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes, Adrian you are right. One needs Grade 5 Theory[1] to enter for Grades 6 to 8 practical exams.

-Michael B.
[1] or Practical Musicianship or indeed solo Jazz subject at Grade 5.

D
D
Originally posted by PoStTeNeBrAsLuX:
Daren,

Best of luck with the exam. I see by your profile that you are all of 3 months older than me smile . Did you have no music experience at all before starting piano lessons four and half years ago? You certainly seem to have been very dedicated and have made impressive progress. Which pieces have you chosen for March, if I might be so nosey?

-Michael B.
Before I took to the piano I played arrangers for a few years and I still play them now,so you could say I had experience with reading treble cleff and chords for left hand as well as good time keeping.When i decided to learn the piano it was like starting all over again I had to go back to begginner books for piano.

The 3 pieces I am taking are as follows;

Allemande
Allegro assai
Impromptu

Regards
Daren

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm not familiar with any of those, presuming they are the JS Bach, CPE Bach and Arensky from the 2006 list. I've been meaning to look into the JSB Partitas at some point, but his WTC has been keeping me busy for the past couple of decades!

I can understand that such fast progress could lead to a perhaps shakier grounding for the aural and sight-reading parts. If you feel that your pieces are looking solid, perhaps your teacher could set aside some substantial lesson time to work through some exercises on the specific aural tests that you find tricky: I never liked the singing bits, personally. Still, a lot of what is required can be learnt/fixed over a relatively short time with the right focus, I reckon, e.g. recognition of chord inversions, etc. Sight-reading is a bit more challenging, as you could get anything from an pastiche Baroque/Classical piece, to something quite modern. But remember that rhythm is your best friend: even if you do play the odd wrong notes here and there, at least try to play them in the right places wink

Cheers,

-Michael B.

S
OP Offline
S
Do you guys think its possible to get to grade 5 theory and practical in a year's time? its been a few months, and i'm currently @ grade 2 standard. I do my theory over weekday nights (3h/day), and only have time for practicals during weekends ( around an hour for each weekend ). I have lessons with my teacher on friday nights though. Is such practice sufficient for me to progress to grade 5? I do understand that its better to spend like 30min a day for practice, but I do not have the luxury of doing that.. ( personal reasons )

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission