2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Ive noticed that almost all the talk on this forum is about Classical music... So i wanted to post this to see if there are some of you that are into other types of music...

I am a bassist first and foremost and love the music of the Neo-Soul movement..And of course Funk. Where this Neo-Soul stuff originates from anyway. Or anthing that "Grooves!" As well as other music but regarding the Piano/Keyboard i love the feel that this music entails. Listen to D'angelos Voodoo or Roy Hargroves RH Faktor for the kind of Keyboard playing im talking about.. Or Funk which also sometimes has GREAT Keyboard stuff.. The Headhunters for example... Does anyone here play this type of music?

If yea, would be really cool if you could share your technique and some info on how you play certain songs. Doesnt have to be SPECIFICALLY in the Neo-Soul, Funk movement... Could be Hip Hop or whatever floats your boat... But Groove oriented music...

Hope that the post is somewhat clear... If you hate this type of music or whatever.. feel free to post your opinion...

Thanks..

M

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Funny you should mention this.

I've been influenced by jazz and blues music for most of my life, as my father was a big band tenor sax player, and my sister's ex was a blues musician so I heard it alot growing up. That lead me to jazz , funk and bluesy rock artists in my generation like Steely Dan, Lighthouse (Canadian), Blood Sweat and Tears, Earth Wind and Fire, Average White Band and esp. the Doobie Brothers during their Mike McDonald era.

I recently stumbled upon this article in a Master Class section of Keyboard online magazine. The article features some Midi and MP3 clips along with score samples of McDonald's style of playing. I've started to use these at home for fun on piano, and they're really a blast to work with and improvise on.

The use of syncopation and unresolved suspended chords, plus a really funky left hand were(and still are) his trade mark.

Here\'s the link . Click on the archives link on the left hand side of the page, and then Master Class. Find the link entitled Michael McDonald's Millenium. It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's still fun to play.

Jamie

"A cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" Oscar Wilde.
OP Offline
Hey Jamie,

Thanks for the link! : - )
Good stuff for sure! I might have to simplify it ALOT until i can play something! But definately cool stuff to try work through!!

Hmmm the Blues! Gotta love it!!

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Bassistonkeys,

I've also noticed that a lot of piople on these forums seem to be geared towards playing classical and there is very little talk about POP, Blues, Jazz, Soul, Funk, Punk, 50s & 60s Rock & Roll, Hard Rock, show tunes, new age, etc.

Are all of these Adult Beginners really only interested in classical????? Not me!!

Rodney

OP Offline
True that Rodney!!

I guess we need to start putting a little flavour into these Forums!! : - )

How will we grow into being unique musicians if we limit ourselfs to one style??

smile

Michael

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I think the focus is on Classical because that's what most teachers recommend for learning principles. My teacher is always giving me modern music to mix with the classical pieces. She gave me a really cool Beatles arrangement book by Phillip Keveren. These are fun but a little difficult for me at one year of playing. I would love to play more modern music, but I still lack alot of skill required to master some of the newer music.
Jon [Linked Image] IMG]

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Charles Walter W190 Ebony
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Charles Walter W190 Ebony
OP Offline
Hmmm i guess i have more freedom because i teach myself.. and i wont play anything im not "feeling" you know?

Which i guess is one downside of having a teacher but they probably know best...

Its cool though because once you do get the skills required you will probably find it easy playing those contempory peaces that you enjoy!

M

D
D
I love to play blues, jazz, swing and classical.

I find that learning classical first makes "most" other genres seem fairly easy, because they are less technical and more free for improvisation.

This is a horrible analogy, but it's sort of like learning to play basketball.

If you learn the more technical stuff first like how to properly shoot the ball, dribble, play defense, etc., then when you later try to have fun with games like H-o-r-s-e, 2 on 2, pick up games, etc....the fundamentals of b-ball come naturally and those games are easy to you and you're more free to improv on the court.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Hi Bassistonkeys -welcome to the forums!

I was a bass player (still am, but focusing on piano now) for a good 10 years, I love to throw it down! I love the jazz/funk/soul. James Brown, Motown, that Herbie Hancock "Headhunters" type stuff.. tasty!

I agree with jdsher - Classical piano instruction is a great way to begin, because you are really forced to learn about proper technique, arm weight, expression, reading and theory. Yoou get all the good habits right away. You can teach yourself to play, but it's these types of things that you if don't know, you'll have to be lucky to get right. Even if you don't keep a teacher for an extended time, it's best to have one in the beginning.

Anyway, rock on!

-paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."
-- Ernie Stires, composer
I thing it s ok listening/playing different styles, but my opinion is just classical is classy elegant and very clever genre which make it superior then any other type of music smile

OP Offline
Thanks for the reply Paul! Nice to have a fellow bassist on the forums!

As long as you dont stop playing bass all together its all good! I have to admit that piano playing is really time consuming! But rewarding and fun!

Im sure classical is really good to start with. But it seems that its easy to get stuck playing classical. Hey, if thats your kind of music then more power to you. I just wanted to get together a couple of people that like that Funk, Motown, stuff so that we could exchange sheet music or ideas or whatever... : - )

I am going to be playing classical to understand theory and all more, but to excercise my creativity, i will be going back to Funk etc. Cause thats what i like to hear most.. I doubt that i could excercies my creativity trying to write a classical piece.. Know what i mean? smile

Plenilunio, you are entitled to your opinion. But i think its very limiting to consider one type of music "Superior." its all music! Just respect that there are different styles.. No better or worse... everyone likes there own genre/style, which ever moves them most. smile

Quick Question. On the top of the actuall notes on the sheet music.. there are chord charts (i think thats what the are called). like the chord name and what looks like a finguring chart. if anyone knows what im talking about i want to know how they work! I dont understand how the chart with the dots is supposed to show the chord or whatever.. hopefully this is somewhat clear! smile

Peace

M

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Bassistonkeys:

As long as you dont stop playing bass all together its all good! I have to admit that piano playing is really time consuming! But rewarding and fun!
It is, but the rewards are huge.

Im sure classical is really good to start with. But it seems that its easy to get stuck playing classical.
Well, the choice is yours what you want to study.. I also work on Jazz theory on piano.

I tell you though, although these days I'm practicing piano intensly, and not practicing bass AT ALL, I do still do jam sessions on bass (rock/funk/jazz), and I tell ya, my classical piano study has had a profound impact on my bass playing. It's hard to describe, but very easy to hear.

I am going to be playing classical to understand theory and all more, but to excercise my creativity, i will be going back to Funk etc. Cause thats what i like to hear most.. I doubt that i could excercies my creativity trying to write a classical piece.. Know what i mean? smile
Don't sell yourself short.. Music is music, and as I sorta said above about the way my bass playing has changed by studying piano, you'd be amazed at how the disparate things come together in your subconcious to open up your creativity in ways you'd never imagine. Take for example, there's a piece I learned by Schumann called Knight Rupert. It's fast and explosive, and then relaxed and very airy in the middle, and this left hand melody comes in that's just really "tasty" - I was later jamming on bass with a drummer and guitarist, and this left-hand melody came out in my bass playing, only it was seriously "funked out" (like Rocco Prestia sorta style, but the same notes) and this really interesting jam ensued from that.. This is a bass line I would never have thought of had I not studied this piano piece and a whole funk piece could have been derived from it had we put the time into it.

Quick Question. On the top of the actuall notes on the sheet music.. there are chord charts (i think thats what the are called). like the chord name and what looks like a finguring chart. if anyone knows what im talking about i want to know how they work! I dont understand how the chart with the dots is supposed to show the chord or whatever.. hopefully this is somewhat clear! smile
That sounds like guitar chord chart/symbol. You wouldn't see that on a classial piece, but "popular" music you'll often see the sheet music for the piano/voice and those charts (it looks like a grid with dots on it right? That grid represents a single position on the guitar neck, 6 strings and the dots represent where you put your fingers on the neck to build the chord.)

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."
-- Ernie Stires, composer
OP Offline
Thanks for the Informative Post Mound!

And especially the stuff about the Funk piece! Man, wish i could have heard it! Sounds NICE!

See thats where im trying to go with this piano thing.. Exactly what you described in your post.. Learn the theory of music on Piano, and be able to take it over into my bass playing!

Thanks again for a wicked post. And if you get the chance to maybe get a recording together, make sure to tell me. Id love to hear it!

Peace

M

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
"One of these days and it won't be long...you'll look for me but babihh...I'll be"...doing something other than classical for awhile! That's a little hint/reference. If you can't tell from that, I absolutely love Led Zeppelin. About 14 months ago (talk about your procrastination...I've been busy), I bought a midi connection and some "notation software". I haven't touched it yet! But my goal was to transcribe "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" by Zep into piano. Something tells me it could be really nice, but I'm thinking more recently that the best I can do is make a version where you still have to sing. That would still be a lot of work, having to capture the wonderful changes in pace, the rhythm, the acoustic and electric guitars. Yikes. If I make good progress, I'll let you know, and maybe post a recording (if it doesn't violate any laws!).

Rick

OP Offline
Hey Rick,

If you ever get the transcpription done, im calling dibs on the first copy smile .

I just got the Book the Contempory keyboardist by john novello. Its EXCELLENT! Highly Recommended!!

M

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission