Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1059314 - 11/19/04 09:54 PM Debussy's Arabesque No. 1
Jeffrey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
How difficult is it? How many years before it is reasonable to tackle it?

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1059315 - 11/20/04 02:22 PM Re: Debussy's Arabesque No. 1
Mathilde Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois, USA
Shoot, honey, isn't that kind of like asking, "How old do I have to be before it's reasonable to tackle riding a bike?" \:D

IMO, if you're old enough to be asking the question, then you're old enough to at least try. Bolt the training wheels on and go for it.

I dunno, I don't "get" people who think there's some sort of arbitrary cutoff somewhere that says whether you're "qualified" to try to learn a piece. I say, if a piece interests you, then hey, go for it. If it turns out to be too hard, then just stick it back in the piano bench and come back to it later.

Also, I think it's important to realize that a piece doesn't have to be learned concert-hall perfect. It's okay to mosey your way through it at half-speed as long as you're happy.

To me, that's the important thing--be happy. Have fun. If it isn't fun, don't do it.

From a practical standpoint...

Well, I'm printing it out from sheetmusicarchive right now, both Arabesque 1 and 2 (BTW, thanks for the pointer, I had actually never heard of them, but they look interesting and do-able), and...

...hey, I could play them. No. 1 is just basically all arpeggios, five pages of arpeggios. Granted, they're not "Haydn" type arpeggios, they're "Debussy" type arpeggios, so they're not going to form big thumping dominant-to-tonic chord progressions, so it'll be tricky to tell whether you're playing the right note, but that's all it is. No Rachmaninoff World-Devouring "But I Can't REACH A 14th!!" Chords. No 18th Century "Are We There Yet?" eighth-note runs.

No 16th notes in No. 1; No. 2 has 16th note triplets, but once you get the rhythm right ("mother-in-law, mother-in-law") they shouldn't be a problem.

No. 1 is in the key of E which might be a little intimidating at first, but not after you get used to it.

No. 1 has a few accidentals, not a problem...hmmm...No. 2 has a lot more, but...it's important not to be afraid of accidentals. Once you get them into your fingers you won't even notice them as they go past.

Oh, and my level of expertise?

...I'm halfway through the John Thompson Fourth Grade Book.

Seriously.

I can play these. So can you.

Go.

P.S. Get an edition that has fingering; this public domain one doesn't.

#1059316 - 11/20/04 03:42 PM Re: Debussy's Arabesque No. 1
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
IMO, the difficult thing about the Arabesques is the amount of "real estate" they cover. You need to really move up and down the keyboard while maintaining that ethereal quality that makes Debussy sound so special.

This requires smooth technique and really good pedaling so it doesn't go all muddy. The notes aren't hard, but getting the mood and feel of the piece is difficult. I'm not particularly good at playing Debussy, others seem to have a real knack for it.

Give it a shot!

#1059317 - 11/22/04 07:24 AM Re: Debussy's Arabesque No. 1
mikewu99 Offline

Loc: Audubon, PA
FWIW, the Debussy Arabesque #1 is one of the pieces in the latest ABRSM grade 8 syllabus.

I've read through parts of it, the biggest difficulty for me is playing 3 vs. 2 smoothly.

#1059318 - 11/22/04 07:57 AM Re: Debussy's Arabesque No. 1
Jeffrey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Mike - Thanks for info. I believe it is a bit beyond me, I am playing grade 2 and 3 stuff fluently after a month or so of practice. I will show it to my teacher, and develop a plan to get the skills to play it fluently. I can also play a few bars here and there for fun, but I think I should wait a bit.

#1059319 - 11/24/04 11:06 AM Re: Debussy's Arabesque No. 1
brenthoven Offline

Loc: Alpine, WY
There is NO LAW that says you cannot read any piece of piano music your heart desires. Interestingly, I have just RE-LEARNED this piece for a presentation I had to make regarding Debussy.
I TRIED to play it when I was 10-12 years old. I did get through some of the triplet patterns and learned the first page...but, I never really LEARNED the piece and set it aside for years HOWEVER, when the need and desire presented itself to LEARN THE Arabesque No. 1, I was FAMILIAR with the THEME and harmonies and a major plus was having always loved the piece made learning it so much eaiser.
Try to sight read something every day. It is not only a wonderful BRAIN exercise but also a tool for mastry in playing and reading. Good luck.

#1059320 - 11/26/04 12:34 AM Re: Debussy's Arabesque No. 1
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

This was a piece in the syllabus for the ATCL piano teaching diploma in the late 1980s, when I did the exam. I also managed to perform it at one my teacher's student concerts at that time.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
182 registered (accordeur, acortot, 36251, 53 invisible), 1728 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74230 Members
42 Forums
153553 Topics
2250436 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
Today at 04:33 PM
3/4 time for 6/8 time comping patterns?
by Ben Ther
Today at 04:33 PM
Shanks with parallel wood grain
by JohnSprung
Today at 04:15 PM
Pinblocks & bridges... How long do they last?
by Piano Practice
Today at 03:58 PM
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 02:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission