Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#106064 - 12/24/06 03:36 AM New Baby Grand for $7000?
tonychar Offline

Loc: CA
I have made a number of different posts at this forum regarding my desire to buy a horizontal piano, with a budget of 7 grand. We went into Sherman Clay in Walnut Creek , Northern CA, and they had a number of new Baby Grands in this range, Henry F. Millers.

My wife is fairly dead set on the idea of "New is better" and while 7 grand may not be a lot for a piano, it's a lot to us, especially for an 11 year old.

I keep readingt about bad sound boards, etc on new Chinese pianos, any of this experience with Henry F. Millers? I have the Piano Book, bought it yesterday, so have my work cut out for me.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#106065 - 12/24/06 11:04 AM Re: New Baby Grand for $7000?
MartinJ. Offline

Loc: Iowa
Hi tonychar

I had written 3 posts and then decided they were pretty meaningless-trying to talk you into looking used and maybe into trying larger verticals.

I might do it differently, but then I'm not you and you're not me!

If you want a baby grand for 7K and it has to be brand new, and the Millers fit your budget and they sound good to you, go for it!

#106066 - 12/24/06 11:53 AM Re: New Baby Grand for $7000?
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think the key here is..you realize to you..7 grand is a lot of money..try all brands within that price range..then buy what sounds and plays good..to you Bob Newbie

#106067 - 12/24/06 01:41 PM Re: New Baby Grand for $7000?
tonychar Offline

Martin,

As I read "The Piano Book", I realize just how difficult a decision this is. Almost makes me not want a piano. I don't disagree with you at all, nor does my wife, she just "wants New" as far as a piano, or car or anything else. From what I can tell, new is basically mistake! But, trying to get a hold of a certified piano tech has been impossible. If I was to state our priorities, my daughter is a singer, so what type of piano is best for composing/singing? By the way, the Henry F. Millers aren't listed in the Piano Book, as far as I could see..

Your posts are very meaningful, trust me on this. Notice that we haven't bought a piano yet, and originally were getting one for Christmas.

As far as a verticaal, we have a new house without a flat section of wall anywhere outside of a bedroom that is more than 5 feet long. There are all these alcoves. or windows. I definately don't want a vertical in the middle of my room, plus we have the room for the horizontal.

#106068 - 12/24/06 02:08 PM Re: New Baby Grand for $7000?
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I have been impressed by the Henry F. Millers I have tried.

#106069 - 12/24/06 02:10 PM Re: New Baby Grand for $7000?
tonychar Offline

BDB,

Since you are sort of local, what is the usual charge for a tech to look at a piano?

#106070 - 12/24/06 02:28 PM Re: New Baby Grand for $7000?
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: West Coast
Millers are decent pianos. They are backed by a decent warranty. Sherman Clay has been around since 1870 and has an excellent reputation for customer service. Go for it and enjoy.

#106071 - 12/24/06 02:36 PM Re: New Baby Grand for $7000?
MartinJ. Offline

some information on Henry F. Miller

ebookofpianos pricing may not be current but interesting take on Henry F. Miller. Read on Pearl River in the Piano Book-neither good nor bad. Read the section on stencil pianos. I think degree of preparation has a lot to do with getting the most of these pianos.

dancingpotato's son's girlfriend loves her Pearl River upright (search the archives for more on that). If you have Pearl River in your area, go check them out, and then buy the piano that is lower in cost and sounds best to you.

#106072 - 12/24/06 02:44 PM Re: New Baby Grand for $7000?
MartinJ. Offline

Also, you may be able to get more piano than you thought if you are willing to negotiate aggressively and not just pay what's posted, even if the piano is already "discounted." Our local PR dealer is a one-price shop (no haggle)-I was in there yesterday but can't recall what the Pearls were going for, definitely in your range, though, maybe a tad less. The finishes on these pianos are beautiful. My experience with the 4'7" model was that I didn't like the touch of the piano, the sound was not very powerful but adequate. For someone who likes soft classical it could be nice, but if she composes rock or jazz, it might not have the power she needs-may be more due to size than anything-might be true of most sub 5 footers. It could've been just how the piano I saw was prepped, though.

When you have specific models in mind, you can ask PW for help identifying a "fair" price.

#106073 - 12/24/06 02:56 PM Re: New Baby Grand for $7000?
Steve Cohen Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
I would also consider the Indonesian-made grands from Samick. They are marketed under the Remington, Kohler & Campbell and Samick Labels.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#106074 - 12/24/06 04:17 PM Re: New Baby Grand for $7000?
tonychar Offline

They had a 4' 8" Model for $6700 and a 5'3" Model for $7900. It was hard to tell the sound in the room there crowded with Pianos. I would only consider the 5' 3". Includes 2 tunings, not sure if the pioano needs to be regulated if that's included.

If I haggle, what do you offer? I have no idea...

#106075 - 12/24/06 07:32 PM Re: New Baby Grand for $7000?
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Those sound like pretty good prices already. If you decide to negotiate, I wouldn't expect to get too much off those prices. Maybe offer $7250 for the 5-3. I don't know if they will go that low or not, though. Sometimes a sound negotiating tactic is to say something like, "I'm ready to buy this piano today, but only if the price is right. What's your bottom dollar price on this one?" Hold your checkbook in your hand as you say this. \:D

Good luck, and Merry Christmas!

--Dennis

flickr

#106076 - 12/25/06 10:38 AM Re: New Baby Grand for $7000?
JD Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area
tonychar,

I'm also in the east bay. If you haven't been to Colton Piano around the corner on Main in Walnut Creek, for looking at small grands I think you would find it well worth your time. The have several Nordiskas (which I prefer to the Henry Miller). In less expensive end they also carry George Steck small grands. For a range of price, quality and preference points, they also carry Petrof, Estonia, Schimmel, Mason, Bosendorfer.

If you get to Marin county drop by Marin Piano.

#106077 - 12/25/06 01:08 PM Re: New Baby Grand for $7000?
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Yes, Nordiska is very nice for the price. You really should try them before you make a decision. The 5-5 Nordiska is actually less expensive at list than the 5-3 Miller. The one I played has a sparkling treble, though somewhat brighter than I prefer. It was a bit lacking in bass power, though even compared to other small pianos.

Merry Christmas to all,
--Dennis

flickr

#106078 - 12/25/06 04:32 PM Re: New Baby Grand for $7000?
tonychar Offline

Thanks for all of this great advise. let me add something to the discusson. Is there some other price point nearby, say $9000 where I would get a significant jump in value? Am I sitting in a bad spot at $7000 either up or down?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to all of you!

#106079 - 12/25/06 08:23 PM Re: New Baby Grand for $7000?
MartinJ. Offline

Piano manufacturers are more than happy selling you a piano. The issue with 7K is not many manufacturers build grands at this price point, so some pianos at the price have reputations for being more for looks or for a player piano system than for serious playing.

This perspective may hold true even at 9K, although at 9K you start to get into larger pianos hence may have more robust sound. Don't overlook Steve Cohen's and JDs suggestions above, though, there may be other brands in the 7K range worth looking into.

My opinion, to get a piano that an advanced beginner or intermediate player could grow into, second hand 12K, new about 14K. There are some really good values at the sub 15K mark.

#106080 - 01/02/07 04:50 PM Re: New Baby Grand for $7000?
johnnypiano Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Don't forget you also have to pay for delivery! \:\(

Iam also buying my first piano, which I'm getting for fairly cheap because its in used condition, but I heard that if its used, the sounds are alot nicer because the strings are stretched

Deliveries can range up to 500 bucks \:\(

#106081 - 01/06/07 02:31 AM Re: New Baby Grand for $7000?
Bluespower Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Hello,
If you looking for a Grand and the budget are low?Try a Perzina Grand.You will wondering about this Grand.Don't listen to peoples but listen to you'r ear's ! This are the best Grands from China !More and more friends in England-USA-Germany and Holland have buy a Perzina yet !
The sound are amazing and the price? You would believe it !Look for it !

Klaas

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
helpers wanted, interactive PC piano teaching game
by russellambrose
09/19/14 08:40 AM
4 vs 3, Practice slow or fast?
by Pover
09/19/14 07:24 AM
Cable Nelson Upright
by Paul678
09/19/14 07:12 AM
Studio monitors for a digital piano
by diegopefm
09/19/14 05:18 AM
Has anyone tried out wireless USB hubs for software pianos?
by Allan W.
09/19/14 02:34 AM
Who's Online
123 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, AndresD, 42 invisible), 1254 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76250 Members
42 Forums
157622 Topics
2315196 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission