Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1061042 - 11/23/08 08:15 AM Re: Goodbye
Wombat66 Offline

Loc: Cornwall UK
I am sorry to see anyone leave the forum and have in the past valued Fryecks contributions, but Damz, don't beat yourself up.
Your criticism was perhaps a little direct, but saying what you mean and meaning what you say is what makes a forum interesting. Anyone posting a recording needs to be able to take the rough with the smooth, although hopefully the rough is sympathetically phrased.
Fryeck I'm sorry you are feeling down about your musical abilites. Like everyone else here, I've been there and bought the t shirt - and indeed still wear it most weeks.
You're certainly not alone in your insecurity and dispirited feelings. One of the great things about PW is that it is a supportive place to go when one discovers that You-Tube is awash with far more talented four year olds than we'll ever be, looking around me at my own daughters school concerts I feel insecure about my own musicality.
However the forum has almost 40000 members, the majority of whom have quietly left without self indulgently announcing "goodbye" to the forum before flouncing out like a spoilt teenager.
If you want my encouragement about your playing - you have it.
If you feel wronged and hurt about your playing being criticised say so, I'm sure you'll get lots of support, including from me. But please, a little less histrionics and if you want to stop contributing to the forum just stop posting without devoting a thread to the subject (at least then you can change your mind and start re-contributing without having to worry about loss of face). I hope my straight talking hasn't caused too much offense, but I have a valid point that doesn't yet appear to have been made on your little thread, and yes it is OK - I wont think any the worse of you if you do change your mind and start posting again. But please, grow up and get back to doing what the rest of us do - devoting our lives to being just a little less crap at playing the piano.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1061043 - 11/23/08 08:59 AM Re: Goodbye
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Hey Frycek... we've been in the same boat and been friends for too long for me not to speak up. I'm in there with you... 53, and a permanent amateur/intermediate. Every time I post a recital as I did of my 10/3 in the last etude recital I know that there will be some beginners that might listen and go wow but there will be a lot more knowledgeable musicians that will cringe. I would LOVE to just once post a perfect recording of a Chopin piece but I accept that it will just never happen. As far as the cringers go... Hey, that's why we're here in the beginner forum. You want to hear perfect recordings, go to the pianist forum. That's where the pros are. \:\)

The point is, as others have said... I think you, I and many others here are in this just for the fun of it. We will never be great. Maybe we dream a little... and maybe do really shine every now and then.

But the whole point of this forum , at least for me, is to have a chance to be with other people (be it cyber-reality) that share the same hobby I do. I'm not quite so alone with my piano when I can come here and read and hear other's experiences.

And there is even drama! Now THAT'S entertainment! \:\)

I hope I said something that helps. I know what it feels like to be down about your piano playing.

P.

#1061044 - 11/23/08 03:15 PM Re: Goodbye
Roger Ransom Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
Look, I'm 67 and cannot play as well as I used to. My technical skill is going backward. This does not upset me. I can't do a lot of the things I used to do.

I concentrate on making the things i can play just as beautiful and as musical as I can. I am so happy that I can make music at any level. I don't know what the percentage is but I'm certain that there is a very low percentage of people on earth who can play anything at all.

As far as people who play better than me, I just admire their music, enjoy it and feel happy for them.

We can play music all our life as long as we don't have unrealistic expectations for ourselves.

relax, don't stress out over it and just enjoy playing what you can.

It's an awesome thing to be able to do.

#1061045 - 11/23/08 03:27 PM Re: Goodbye
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Wombat, with all due respect, for anyone who has posted so much and been such a presence on this forum as Frycek has, it would be more than appropriate to make a goodbye post if they decided they needed to stop posting.

Furthermore, this situation has a slightly more complicated background than "I'm too busy to post," and I think your dismissal of this thread as being based on "histrionics" is significantly lacking compassion.

I'm certainly not interested in starting an argument (dear moderator, I'll go back to lurking here in a minute.) But I just wanted to let you, Wombat, and other posters, know that your opinion about this thread is not shared by all who read/post in this forum.

#1061046 - 11/23/08 04:21 PM Re: Goodbye
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
 Quote:
Originally posted by Damz:
I see that my message came off completely wrong, and now I feel like a horrible person.[/b]
While your post may have been a bit blunt, it does not approach the level of oddness that some of Reaper978's later statements in that thread had.

I don't really know Frycek well enough to presume anything about what caused him/her to be demotivated in such a way, but regardless of this, the comments I have mentioned were so utterly strange to see in this forum that I wondered how anyone could actually voice them in such a way.

As for this thread, I have heard some of Frycek's recordings, and I don't find anything lacking in "musicality" in them, nor do I think they are mediocre in any way. This forum is fairly unique and aimed at a very specific demographic, and it would be a shame for a member to leave because they think they aren't "good enough" for it.

#1061047 - 11/23/08 04:40 PM Re: Goodbye
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
 Quote:
Originally posted by Theowne:

As for this thread, I have heard some of Frycek's recordings, and I don't find anything lacking in "musicality" in them, nor do I think they are mediocre in any way. This forum is fairly unique and aimed at a very specific demographic, and it would be a shame for a member to leave because they think they aren't "good enough" for it. [/b]
Ditto. I refrained voicing my thoughts here for their triviality, but since the thread grew to the level of general "cheer up," here it goes:
Frycek is an asset to this forum, period. No matter what others say, and, come to think of it, no matter what the technical level of your playing is, as far as I am concerned, I have not seen anything in this forum by Frycek that wasn't in at least some respect valuable to at least some participants (can't say the same about other posters, myself included \:D ). No pressure from me, but I'd rather you keep playing and posting, I truly think it enriches the little world we make for ourselves here.

#1061048 - 11/23/08 04:41 PM Re: Goodbye
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Hmm, sometimes my English is just horrible... ROTFL

#1061049 - 11/23/08 07:02 PM Re: Goodbye
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
Hey kiddo...

I've held off posting as I really am at a loss for words. Like YD, I feel that whatever I might have to add is trivial at best. But, I do want to add my thanks to you for your support of me and others over the years, and to let you know, if you decide it's best for you to back off for a while, that you will be missed.

I recall offering to trade all my guitars for just half of your skills. The offer still stands...

I wish for you happiness and peace.

#1061050 - 11/23/08 07:25 PM Re: Goodbye
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
Hi Frycek--

Hopefully, you are reading the posts here and feeling the support you have. I have felt the way you describe before--in piano, my reach definitely does exceed my ability to grasp. I love the beautiful pieces of Chopin and Liszt, and many make me sound like I'm all thumbs. I have learned from some of my over-ambitious choices that I will gain something from the effort, even if the end result is not something I would share with others. Mostly, I must admit, I just try to aim a little lower to avoid that discouragement.

I gain a lot from your contributions and hope you will continue to make your pursuit of music a communal one with us.

Sincerely,

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#1061051 - 11/23/08 09:52 PM Re: Goodbye
Danny Niklas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Fricek,

You must use negative criticism as a motivational trigger. If we had to get depressed anytime someone insults or harshly criticize us, we should all be cronically depressed. There are so many people in this world, and no matter how talented and good and attractive you are, there will always be a lot of people opposed to you and ready to criticize you. Professional pianists are strongly criticized every day, and there are even "anti" forum out there. Rubinstein and Horowits have their non-fan-clubs on usenet.

There are so many writers, actors, musicians, dancers who have been told by their teachers and peers to find another job or another occupation.
There are famous dancers who had been suggested to give up ballets because of their body type.

I'm a fitness nut and I listen daily to inspirational stories which show me, not only that nothing is truly impossible but that we're more likely to succeed when we ignore those who harshly criticize us for aiming high.

Don't let criticism and even hard times discorauge you, use them instead to get more motivated and fired up. What doesn't kill you make you stronger, and criticism and even momentary failure are that sort of thing.

Your musical abilities are not something passive you have or don't. You build your abilities, and if you feel (for whatever reason) that you're lacking in them, that shouldn't discourage you but increase your determination in succeeding. As we say where I live "that should make your claws come out".

#1061052 - 11/23/08 10:44 PM Re: Goodbye
gabytu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Or.
Frycek. Don't even think about quitting. It is obvious you love the piano, and that is what is important.

I haven't a clue as to what you mean when you say you are "lacking some fundamental musicality." Who told you that? And again, I ask,what does it mean?

What is important is the joy you get from playing the piano. If someone has belittled your playing, ignore them.

Sure, it is an uphill battle, and there will always be compositions beyond our reach. But the journey is worth it. Gaby Tu

#1061053 - 11/24/08 03:15 AM Re: Goodbye
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lodz, Poland
Frycek, don't you ever think we will say "Goodbye" to you that easily. You are one of great contributors here - one with enormous knowledge, spirited and helpful. You are a friend. Don't you dare leaving us.

Piano is about heights and falls - each of use have or had or will have days of dejection. But the most important thing is to enjoy it - play for yourself, rethink your goals and take pure joy out of it. And don't get upset with comments about your playing - it is you and only you who can judge it.

Stay with us, Frycek.

My best wishes,
Mateusz
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)

#1061054 - 11/24/08 03:59 AM Re: Goodbye
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mati:
Frycek, don't you ever think we will say "Goodbye" to you that easily. You are one of great contributors here - a man with enormous knowledge, spirited and helpful. You are a friend. Don't you dare leaving us.

Piano is about heights and falls - each of use have or had or will have days of dejection. But the most important thing is to enjoy it - play for yourself, rethink your goals and take pure joy out of it. And don't get upset with comments about your playing - it is you and only you who can judge it.

Stay with us, Frycek.

My best wishes,
Mateusz [/b]
Well said Mati!

Just one small correction, if I may... our dear Frycek is female ;\)

#1061055 - 11/24/08 07:06 AM Re: Goodbye
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lodz, Poland
Yiiiiiikess, embarrassing! \:o Sorry! I made an instant correction.
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)

#1061056 - 11/24/08 10:28 AM Re: Goodbye
mdsdurango Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Durango Colorado
Well my curiosity got piqued and I went and searched for what started all of this.
I have to say that the piece that Frycek played and posted was one that I would never even attempt (after 35 years of playing (and still an Adult Beginner)).
And although it was obvious not a "professional" recording, it (IMO) had its positive moments and certainly gave me the impression that Frycek probably played many simpler pieces absolutely beautifully and with great musicality!

#1061057 - 11/24/08 01:17 PM Re: Goodbye
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
Please don't go....

Who told you this anyway?

If you heard me play you would think twice about your so called "mediocrity".

#1061058 - 11/24/08 02:40 PM Re: Goodbye
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by -Frycek:
I have finally recognized my mediocrity and will no longer be taking advantage of the kindness of you all by participation in the ecitals or the discussions. [/b]
And just what's so bad about mediocroty ? Some of us here have been working long & hard just to ultimately get to that exalted level, and would happily settle for a certain degree of respectable mediocrity!

Believe me when I say that I know mediocrity when I hear it (and when I play it) and you don't qualify - in fact, you're over-qualified, which means, in effect, you're just too good . Sorry, but that's just the way it is - so, forget about it, move on, get busy on your next piece because you'll just have to deal with it and get over it - no mediocrity for you pal!

Regards, JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1061059 - 11/24/08 04:16 PM Re: Goodbye
GeePee Offline

Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
 Quote:
Originally posted by John Frank:
 Quote:
Originally posted by -Frycek:
I have finally recognized my mediocrity and will no longer be taking advantage of the kindness of you all by participation in the ecitals or the discussions. [/b]
And just what's so bad about mediocroty ? Some of us here have been working long & hard just to ultimately get to that exalted level, and would happily settle for a certain degree of respectable mediocrity!
[/b]
"Respectable mediocrity" ... what a great level to achieve.

Do any of you remember toward the end of the movie "Amadeaus", where the character playing the part of Antonio Salieri was being wheeled out of the mental institution. He declared himself to be the "patron saint of mediocrity" before "forgiving" all the other inmates around him.

I know it was just a movie, but imagine for a moment that history had indeed recorded this very utterance from Salieri. Since his music is still played and heard today then I say bring on mediocrity!

The point is Frycek, the character Salieri in the movie was doing what we all do, comparing what we currently do/have with those that can do more/have more ... this comparison is the basis of most of our human so called "unhappiness". Bring the focus back to your love for playing piano and the personal enjoyment you get from it, not to mention the enjoyment others get from your playing (even if you're still comparing yourself to Vladimir Ashkenazy and coming up short), and get a smile back on you dial.

Now that's an order girl!

#1061060 - 11/24/08 04:36 PM Re: Goodbye
Manndrew Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Frycek,

Well, I am fairly new to this forum and so I don't have the sense of where you are with your music. Everything that has been said, everyone that has shown their support and affection for you is proof enough of your worth as a member of the forum I simply want to tell you what music has meant to me in my life.

Like so many of us my parents were responsible for introducing me at a young age to the mysteries and challenges of the piano. Over the years, off and on, I managed to develop a decent level of playing, but the joy I received for this gift of music are immeasurable.

A few years ago my mother was in a nursing home. Now it had been many years since she heard me play. On one visit I decided to bring her down to the main dining hall (she was confined mostly to her room). There was a grand piano there. I brought her right up next to the bench, sat down and started playing for her. I think it was when I played "Summertime" that she began to cry. She said things like "Oh, Andy" and was completely overwhelmed. I told her that she was responsible for bringing the piano into my life and I thanked her for that.

This may have little to do with your situation, Frycek, but I think we have to acknowledge the gift we've been give, whether grandiose or mediocre and simply enjoy the wonder.

#1061061 - 11/24/08 04:55 PM Re: Goodbye
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Frycek: for years I've enjoyed reading your thoughts, stories, comments - your writings reveal a unique character whom I appreciate; if you remove yourself completely, we lose much.

This has absolutely nothing to do with how well you (or any of us) play the piano.

#1061062 - 11/24/08 04:57 PM Re: Goodbye
ProdigalPianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix Metro, AZ
This is gonna sound mean at first but read the whole thing anyway.

"Lack of musicality?" "Mediocrity" That's crap.

You were trying to play a piece that was way too hard for you. That's not mediocrity or lack of musicality. That is trying to play a piece of music that is way too hard for you! It is probably painful to hear, but it certainly can't be worse than telling yourself you lack musicality or are mediocre!

You do not lack musicality. Musicality cannot come to the fore if you are struggling (or failing) to hang on to the technical demands of a piece for dear life. You can only demonstrate musicality, and improve it, when you are playing a piece that is comfortably within your grasp.

This doesn't mean that you should only play "easy" stuff...it means you should be realistic about choosing pieces that will be possible to play with a certain amount of work and a good teacher. And increasing the level of difficulty gradually.

Take the best grade school football player in the US. He's hot stuff, right? Then have him play a game with an NFL team. He's gonna get creamed. Does that mean he's "mediocre" or "lacks talent"? NO. It means he has a lot to learn and a lot of growing to do before he can play in the NFL.

No I am not suggesting you are at the level of a grade school kid, it's just an example...amateur musicians compare themselves to professional musicians, that's just the way we are. And it's not really a fair comparison, because we are rarely playing music that is as well learned and technically within our grasp as they are.

Child prodigies aside :rolleyes: you can't just pick up a very advanced piece and learn it...unless you have done the technical groundwork first. You can't build something without the necessary tools in the toolbox. In fact, wasn't that the original point of your post in that thread?

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.

#1061063 - 11/24/08 05:08 PM Re: Goodbye
jasperkeys Offline

Loc: Safford, AZ
Frycek,
The other day I heard someone say to a young man about learning a musical instrument, "You'll only get out of if what you put into it." I only wish that were true all of the time. The fact is, there will be days when your fingers absolutely refuse to cooperate that you'll wonder what good all the practice was. Of course, the good days more than make up for the bad days and you'll be thankful you can play no matter what your skill level. We all wish we could play better than we can right now and yes, sometimes there are fleeting thoughts of giving up. Next day we'll be at it again. What else can we do?
Frycek, my advice is to think back and try to remember why you wanted to play music to begin with. Was it to impress friends? Was it because of the wish to reproduce the sweet sounds you had heard? Perhaps a combination of both? I believe you began to play the piano because of your love of music and the feeling that you had something of yourself you could express through the piano. Despite the technical difficulties we grapple with, after all is said and done the piano sounds so beautiful on those days when we get it right. Sometimes we just have to put one foot in front of the other to keep going. Sounds like you've got a lot of friends here.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
157 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, 36251, 45 invisible), 1777 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75505 Members
42 Forums
156129 Topics
2292739 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is the purpose of learning a song's chords?
by Alex1
22 minutes 2 seconds ago
Question about Heller
by BostonTeacher
Today at 01:03 PM
a solo transcription for Debussy' Petite Suite?
by joonsang
Today at 12:03 PM
KAWAI CS7 + VST Instruments
by mmerino
Today at 12:02 PM
Halloween Fantasy and Tag! - student level pieces
by Axtremus
Today at 09:46 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission