2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sorry this is OT but Debussey20 makes a great point on a thread that some kids will find interesting because it is about RAP.
Good points Debussey20. To all, this discussion I find very interesting and it gives much food for thought.

I agree.... it is not safe for kids to give out personal information over the internet. Too many sickos out there waiting to prey upon them

Now where were we.... the discussion on rap, hip hop etc.

Originally posted by Debussy20:
Myspace also scares me eek .
Some of the people in my schoool have a myspace page. I just think its not safe to give information away like that. If you can't use email to talk to someone, why are you talking to them...

I have my own weapon of mass destruction in the form of a "teenage" German Shepherd. Anything she spies and can get ahold of is fair game.
L
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally posted by wolfindmist:
Sorry this is OT but Debussey20 makes a great point on a thread some kids will find interesting because it is about RAP.
Good points Debussey20. To all, this discussion I find very interesting and it gives much food for thought.

I agree.... it is not safe for kids to give out personal information over the internet. Yoo many sickos out there waiting to prey upon them

Now where were we.... the discussion on rap, hip hop etc.

[b] Myspace also scares me eek .
Some of the people in my schoool have a myspace page. I just think its not safe to give information away like that. If you can't use email to talk to someone, why are you talking to them...
[/b]
exactly... I vote we change the name of myspace.com to stalkerspace.com

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My introduction to myspace was innocent.

I was laying on the bed reading a book while one of my kids was on the computer clicking away in instant messages and myspace.

She looked up and asked "what high school did you go to?" I answered.

A few minutes later she said "what year did you graduate?" so I told her.

A few minutes later she said "What is grandma's maiden name?"

That's when I realized that something as simple as a free ringtone could coax an innocent child into revealing all kinds of protected information.

That was my alarming intro to myspace.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
L
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
scary stuff eek

Matt

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally posted by USAPianoTrucker:

That's when I realized that something as simple as a free ringtone could coax an innocent child into revealing all kinds of protected information.

Scary!!

My children use the computer, but I don't let them have e-mail accounts (yet), and they don't do chat rooms or myspace. I hope to leave it that way as long as possible.

L
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
good plan...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well I had all kinds of fancy monitoring software and mcafee security stuff that kep them from places I didn't want them to go. It worked.

And now they're not teens anymore. . .

frown

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
L
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
That may work, but only for a while.
New sites like these: http://proxy.org/ make banning websites impossible. Myspace and aim are blocked at my school (thank god) but kids are now using proxy servers like this one to bypass the blocks on myspace and aim...

Technology - a gift and a curse...

Matt

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It is still OT but... but since the thread may attract kids to it as it is on RAP I'll go along with Debussey and continue the discussion.

Debussey20 is dead on.

Also... Kids still can find ways to access the internet at other places such as your local library or internet cafe, or at another friends houes. Setting rules is nice when you are there to monitor and enforce the rules. But the most important thing all parents need to do is to discuss and teach your kids to surf the net wisely and to never ever give out personal information about themselves online.

home addresses, telephone numbers, work information, school names, sport teams & other activities where stalkers can stalk you at. Even posting pictures of yourself on lists and boards has some risks (and as kids, they may not be aware of those risks).

Not just children surf safely; I have seen plenty of posts where people give out enough information about themselves to make me feel comfortable.

People have been killed, raped, molested, stolen from, conned, had their identities stolen, harassed, spoofed all because they trusted too much that the folks who would view their personal information are good people. Don't post anything on the web you wouldn't want a stalker type to have.

FYI Helpful Surfing links for kids and adults also:

http://www.searchlores.org/angewalk.htm

http://www.searchlores.org/trolls.htm

http://www.searchlores.org/woodm_1.htm

http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/psychology/cyberstalking/1.html

That may work, but only for a while.
New sites like these: http://proxy.org/ make banning websites impossible. Myspace and aim are blocked at my school (thank god) but kids are now using proxy servers like this one to bypass the blocks on myspace and aim...

Technology - a gift and a curse...

Matt

I have my own weapon of mass destruction in the form of a "teenage" German Shepherd. Anything she spies and can get ahold of is fair game.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Somebody was phishing... and hooked your kid for info on you. To me those folks who phish for info from kids are suspect. It is scary stuff alrighty. If phishing for info on folks by offering free smileys for children is not against the law --- it should be.

Originally posted by USAPianoTrucker:
My introduction to myspace was innocent.

I was laying on the bed reading a book while one of my kids was on the computer clicking away in instant messages and myspace.

She looked up and asked "what high school did you go to?" I answered.

A few minutes later she said "what year did you graduate?" so I told her.

L
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
exactly... and sometimes even if a kids myspace is "clean"... one of their friends might blab about them on their page. Its sooo confusing.

At it's best rap can be very creative. Rhythmically, there're often some very interesting things going on. But, too often there's not much there melodically. Most of the melodies are stolen from previous recordings, anyway.)

But, every once in a while a rapper will come up with a new beat, and use an old melody in a way that makes it sound new, and I'll really enjoy it.

I've been listening to alot of Black Eyed Peas, Eminem, Digable Planets, and I did like Goldigger by Kanye West (I think.)

I think there's something worth hearing in every musical genre if you listen hard enough.

A Drummer / Percussionist turned piano player. ...Struggling not to hit the piano strings with sticks.

Originally posted by Kent B:
I think there's something worth hearing in every musical genre if you listen hard enough.
I think that's the best single-sentence conclusion for this thread I've seen. And I agree.

For all those people who like rap,Jay Z's new album Kingdom Come is really good.

5 Respectable Artists/Bands
Bob Dylan, Tom Waits,The Smashing Pumpkins,Dave Brubeck, The Slackers

J Love
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission