Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1064110 - 03/15/06 03:21 PM 10 selected Haydn sonatas in progressive order
Inge Skauvik Offline

Loc: Norway
Haydn wrote totally about 60 piano sonatas. For some strange reason they are not as frequently played as the Mozart sonatas. My humble opinion is, however, that some of them have musical qualities at the same level as the Mozart sonatas, but with some exceptions they are easier to play.

Many lovers of the piano probably have the skills necessary to bring at least some of the Haydn sonatas to a decent craftsmanship level. From this level it is possible to develop Haydn play up to a refined astist's level. I find it generally very rewarding to play this music, because it gives a fair amount of brilliance with a moderate amount of effort.

Among the Haydn sonatas I have picked 10 of my favourites (not necessarily the best ones), and try to list them in progressive order of technical difficulty.

1: D-major, published 1767 (no dedication)
2: C-major, published 1780 (dedicated to the Auenbrugger sisters). This sonata is one of the more frequently played, but not my favourite really.
3: E-flat major, published 1789/90 (dedicated to Frau von Genzinger). I really recommend this sonata. It isn't awfully difficult, but quite brilliant.
4: E-flat major (1766). Second movement is not difficult to play, but it is a wonderful composition. The third movement is difficult.
5: e-minor (1778). Third movement is easy, but brilliant and emotional (somebody asking for something to impress the girls with?)
6: D-major (1780). (Dedicated to the Auenbrugger sisters). Possibly Haydn's most frequently played sonata. Difficulty comparable to the Mozart sonatas.
7: A-flat major (1786). Beautiful, brilliant piece of music. The finale is a rather difficult Presto.
8: F-major (1773). (Dedicated to Nicolaus Esterhazy). Delicate figures in the first movement. Second a beautiful Adagio.
9: C-major (1789). This sonata has only two movements. This is simply great music, but not for beginners.
10: E-flat major (1798). (Dedicated to Magdalene von Kurzbeck) Haydn's greatest sonata, reminding me much of early Beethoven sonatas.

The order of difficulty can probably be subject to discussion. Anyhow, I hope that this post can be of interest to someone.

Inge S

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1064111 - 03/15/06 09:34 PM Re: 10 selected Haydn sonatas in progressive order
gabytu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Or.
Hi Inge S, Thanks for providing us with the list. I enjoy Haydn's Sonatas, and am currently studying the e mi (l778.) It is a beautiful compostition. I am really surprised that his sonatas are not played more often in concerts. Gaby Tu

#1064112 - 03/15/06 09:41 PM Re: 10 selected Haydn sonatas in progressive order
Octavia Offline

Loc: California
 Quote:
Originally posted by Inge Skauvik:
5: e-minor (1778). Third movement is easy, but brilliant and emotional (somebody asking for something to impress the girls with?)
Inge S [/b]
I'm not sure if you mean E minor Hob.16/34? (I think this is the numbering scheme for Haydn's sonatas.) Anyway, if this is the one you mean, I love it, love it, love it!

#1064113 - 03/16/06 01:58 AM Re: 10 selected Haydn sonatas in progressive order
Inge Skauvik Offline

Octavia,

Unfortunately my albums do not give the Hoboken numbers. The sonata I'm referring to has three movements, the first one being a Presto.

For those of you studying the e-minor sonata, the next step could be the A-flat major. You will find that this one is completely different in character, but very rewarding to practice. I'm particularly fond of the first movement.

Inge S

#1064114 - 03/16/06 02:46 PM Re: 10 selected Haydn sonatas in progressive order
Octavia Offline

Loc: California
 Quote:
Originally posted by Inge Skauvik:

For those of you studying the e-minor sonata, the next step could be the A-flat major. You will find that this one is completely different in character, but very rewarding to practice. I'm particularly fond of the first movement.

Inge S [/b]
So in the Hob. numbering scheme this one would be Hob. 16/46, not Hob. 16/43, which has a third movement of "Rondo Presto"?

#1064115 - 03/17/06 07:39 AM Re: 10 selected Haydn sonatas in progressive order
Inge Skauvik Offline

Hello Octavia,

I did some checking on the web and found some sample recordings of Haydn sonatas. The e-minor I referred to in the initial post is the same as your favourite, Hoboken XVI/34. And the A-flat major has the number XVI/46.

I put aside my Haydn albums in January to play some Mozart (because of the anniversary). As an amateur player, however, I enjoy working with the Haydn-sonatas, and I'll return to them soon.

#1064116 - 03/17/06 03:28 PM Re: 10 selected Haydn sonatas in progressive order
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
Inge,

Thanks for posting this. If you get a chance, please match the Hob. numbers to the sonatas you listed. It would be helpful. I recognize some of them, but not all.

#1064117 - 03/19/06 12:05 PM Re: 10 selected Haydn sonatas in progressive order
George K Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Midwest
I am lost without the Hob. numbers as well!

#1064118 - 03/20/06 12:17 PM Re: 10 selected Haydn sonatas in progressive order
rockpeter Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal Canada
Since your post I browsed throug the first 20 sonatas. I didn't particularly like them but a couple of movements were interesting.
What was surprising, for most of the movements is that they are short in length. That would be a plus for me. When I have the time I'll check the other sonatas out. Thanks for the reference Inge S.

Peter

#1064119 - 03/21/06 04:38 PM Re: 10 selected Haydn sonatas in progressive order
Inge Skauvik Offline

I have done some research and managed to find the Hoboken numbers of all except the two first sonatas given in the initial post of this thread. Here's the list:

3: E-flat major Hob XVI/49
4: E-flat major Hob XVI/29
5: e-minor Hob XVI/34
6: D-major Hob XVI/37
7: A-flat major Hob XVI/46
8: F-major Hob XVI/23
9: C-major Hob XVI/48
10: E-flat major Hob XVI/52

The relative difficulty of these sonatas can be discussed, of course. The last movement of #4 on the list is pretty tough, while the other movements are easy. As a whole, may be it should be moved 3 or 4 steps down.

Anyhow, I wish you luck with the Haydn sonatas.

Inge S

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chrono Trigger piano medley
by Stefo
09/18/14 04:44 PM
need help with deciding between digital and acoustic
by luvboise713
09/18/14 04:16 PM
Sight reading problems
by pianosNpreschooler
09/18/14 03:23 PM
Hello! I have a question about playing for cocktail parties.
by albumblatter
09/18/14 03:10 PM
Piano Concerto in F, Op. 2 Arensky, Anton
by antony
09/18/14 02:33 PM
Who's Online
124 registered (aesop, anotherscott, accordeur, albumblatter, 3times2, 37 invisible), 1233 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157608 Topics
2315074 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission