2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
OP Offline
I
Haydn wrote totally about 60 piano sonatas. For some strange reason they are not as frequently played as the Mozart sonatas. My humble opinion is, however, that some of them have musical qualities at the same level as the Mozart sonatas, but with some exceptions they are easier to play.

Many lovers of the piano probably have the skills necessary to bring at least some of the Haydn sonatas to a decent craftsmanship level. From this level it is possible to develop Haydn play up to a refined astist's level. I find it generally very rewarding to play this music, because it gives a fair amount of brilliance with a moderate amount of effort.

Among the Haydn sonatas I have picked 10 of my favourites (not necessarily the best ones), and try to list them in progressive order of technical difficulty.

1: D-major, published 1767 (no dedication)
2: C-major, published 1780 (dedicated to the Auenbrugger sisters). This sonata is one of the more frequently played, but not my favourite really.
3: E-flat major, published 1789/90 (dedicated to Frau von Genzinger). I really recommend this sonata. It isn't awfully difficult, but quite brilliant.
4: E-flat major (1766). Second movement is not difficult to play, but it is a wonderful composition. The third movement is difficult.
5: e-minor (1778). Third movement is easy, but brilliant and emotional (somebody asking for something to impress the girls with?)
6: D-major (1780). (Dedicated to the Auenbrugger sisters). Possibly Haydn's most frequently played sonata. Difficulty comparable to the Mozart sonatas.
7: A-flat major (1786). Beautiful, brilliant piece of music. The finale is a rather difficult Presto.
8: F-major (1773). (Dedicated to Nicolaus Esterhazy). Delicate figures in the first movement. Second a beautiful Adagio.
9: C-major (1789). This sonata has only two movements. This is simply great music, but not for beginners.
10: E-flat major (1798). (Dedicated to Magdalene von Kurzbeck) Haydn's greatest sonata, reminding me much of early Beethoven sonatas.

The order of difficulty can probably be subject to discussion. Anyhow, I hope that this post can be of interest to someone.

Inge S

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Hi Inge S, Thanks for providing us with the list. I enjoy Haydn's Sonatas, and am currently studying the e mi (l778.) It is a beautiful compostition. I am really surprised that his sonatas are not played more often in concerts. Gaby Tu

O
O
Originally posted by Inge Skauvik:
5: e-minor (1778). Third movement is easy, but brilliant and emotional (somebody asking for something to impress the girls with?)
Inge S
I'm not sure if you mean E minor Hob.16/34? (I think this is the numbering scheme for Haydn's sonatas.) Anyway, if this is the one you mean, I love it, love it, love it!

"These are the good old days" --Carly Simon
I
OP Offline
I
Octavia,

Unfortunately my albums do not give the Hoboken numbers. The sonata I'm referring to has three movements, the first one being a Presto.

For those of you studying the e-minor sonata, the next step could be the A-flat major. You will find that this one is completely different in character, but very rewarding to practice. I'm particularly fond of the first movement.

Inge S

O
O
Originally posted by Inge Skauvik:

For those of you studying the e-minor sonata, the next step could be the A-flat major. You will find that this one is completely different in character, but very rewarding to practice. I'm particularly fond of the first movement.

Inge S
So in the Hob. numbering scheme this one would be Hob. 16/46, not Hob. 16/43, which has a third movement of "Rondo Presto"?

"These are the good old days" --Carly Simon
I
OP Offline
I
Hello Octavia,

I did some checking on the web and found some sample recordings of Haydn sonatas. The e-minor I referred to in the initial post is the same as your favourite, Hoboken XVI/34. And the A-flat major has the number XVI/46.

I put aside my Haydn albums in January to play some Mozart (because of the anniversary). As an amateur player, however, I enjoy working with the Haydn-sonatas, and I'll return to them soon.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Inge,

Thanks for posting this. If you get a chance, please match the Hob. numbers to the sonatas you listed. It would be helpful. I recognize some of them, but not all.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am lost without the Hob. numbers as well!

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Since your post I browsed throug the first 20 sonatas. I didn't particularly like them but a couple of movements were interesting.
What was surprising, for most of the movements is that they are short in length. That would be a plus for me. When I have the time I'll check the other sonatas out. Thanks for the reference Inge S.

Peter

Ok..Ok... If you don't want your Steinway give it to me !!!!
I
OP Offline
I
I have done some research and managed to find the Hoboken numbers of all except the two first sonatas given in the initial post of this thread. Here's the list:

3: E-flat major Hob XVI/49
4: E-flat major Hob XVI/29
5: e-minor Hob XVI/34
6: D-major Hob XVI/37
7: A-flat major Hob XVI/46
8: F-major Hob XVI/23
9: C-major Hob XVI/48
10: E-flat major Hob XVI/52

The relative difficulty of these sonatas can be discussed, of course. The last movement of #4 on the list is pretty tough, while the other movements are easy. As a whole, may be it should be moved 3 or 4 steps down.

Anyhow, I wish you luck with the Haydn sonatas.

Inge S

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission