Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1064929 - 12/19/08 02:50 AM Re: Should I force myself ?
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
 Quote:
My goal is simple. I wish to be able to play the pieces I like and enjoy myself playing. That’s it.
I'm looking at this again. I do not see this as a goal in useful form. What do you do in particular to "be able to play the pieces you like"? How specifically do you work toward that? In what way can taking lessons help? What does this entail? A goal is something you work toward by doing that.

You can turn this around: Are you currently able to play the pieces you like? Why not? What do you need to be able to do so? From here you might start being able to find actual useful goals.

"Enjoy playing". In what manner is this a goal? How do you reach a goal of enjoying playing?

Whether it is this teacher or another one: you have identified three things - performing in recitals, reading music, counting out loud. Does your teacher have a purpose for these recitals? This is the only one that I might possibly eschew if you have on wish to ever perform in front of anyone.

Reading music: If you felt you were able to pick up this skill, might this actually be worth your while? Do you want to learn this on your own? Is it the manner in which you are being made to learn it that is the problem, or this skill by itself (not interested)?

Counting while playing: In all honesty, how is your timing? If you are not counting, do you believe that you have good timing and rhythm? If not, are you satisfied with that?

What do you need in order to be able to enjoy playing music? What do you need in order to play the kind of music that you enjoy? In what way can lessons help you acquire what you need?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1064930 - 12/19/08 04:53 PM Re: Should I force myself ?
Chi Chi Offline

Loc: Canada
Thanks for all of your help and opinions again, including the digital piano solution. Well…I do have both digital and acoustic piano at home, so I guess it’s not an issue here. lol \:D

Also, I would like to clarify on some things. We pick pieces from RCM materials that I like or pieces that teacher would want me to practise on some of the techniques. I didn’t go through the exams. I am not working toward the certification. We just decided together that we were going to use RCM materials for my lessons 1.5 years ago.

Quote:
Originally posted by keystring:
You can turn this around: Are you currently able to play the pieces you like? Why not? What do you need to be able to do so? From here you might start being able to find actual useful goals.

"Enjoy playing". In what manner is this a goal? How do you reach a goal of enjoying playing?[/b]
Yes, I can play the pieces I learned and I enjoy playing them. Sometimes I just repeatedly play them at home and enjoy and relax myself by playing them repeatedly. I play all of them by memory though. I want to continue to learn more pieces I like and continue to enjoy playing. I am not sure if it's a clear enough goal in a useful form.

Taking lessons will help me in learning new pieces, will it not? I suppose I can probably learn a new piece by myself. However, I still wish to have a professional to tell me to do this and that to make the piece sound beautiful. Actually, I enjoy working on dynamics with my teacher a lot. I think she does too. She is a very talented musician. She has taught me a lot in dynamics. Once I had everything memorized, the lessons were just like breeze. Both of us were content. I think it's because I can catch this part quickly.

Quote:
Whether it is this teacher or another one: you have identified three things - performing in recitals, reading music, counting out loud. Does your teacher have a purpose for these recitals? This is the only one that I might possibly eschew if you have on wish to ever perform in front of anyone.[/b]
She told me 1.5 years ago when I first started taking lessons from her. All her students must attend recitals. If I didn’t want to be part of it, then find another teacher. Therefore, I had attended recitals three times already. Regardless how panic and how stressed out I was, I still prepared and attended each one of them. I was just not too happy about I was blamed on not doing a good job on this recent one. I for sure screwed up my piece again this time. There’s no doubt about it. I felt bad that I didn’t do a good job. I wanted to do a good job too. I didn’t screw it up on purpose. I just couldn’t help myself to get anxious. My mind just went completely blank and forgot about whatever she said that I should pay attention to. Apparently, there’s a disagreement on it as well. I am 30, a full-grown adult, should be able to control myself better than a 5-year-old.

I play piano to entertain myself, not anybody else. My goal is not to become a performer to play music in front of strangers. I played my pieces well when I was home even if in front of lots of other people. That’s good enough for me.

Quote:
Reading music: If you felt you were able to pick up this skill, might this actually be worth your while? Do you want to learn this on your own? Is it the manner in which you are being made to learn it that is the problem, or this skill by itself (not interested)?

Counting while playing: In all honesty, how is your timing? If you are not counting, do you believe that you have good timing and rhythm? If not, are you satisfied with that? .[/b]
I totally agree that sight-reading and timing and rhythm are very important. I didn’t mean that I don’t want to learn them. However, I wish I could learn them at a slower pace according to my current level and ability. Obviously, my teacher and I can’t agree with each other on “my current level and ability.” My teacher wants me to push myself to play any new piece both hands with both notes and rhythm correct, with dynamics and count out loud. (I can start at a very slow tempo.) She thinks I can and I need to push myself through, but I think I can’t. I prefer to get familiar with the notes first and then work on rhythm by using a rhythm timer, not counting out loud. For some reason, speaking out loud while I am playing is just screwing my mind. I found it’s extremely difficult for me to do. I think I do need somebody to guide me and show me the best effective way to improve sight-reading and rhythm. (however, at the pace or the way I don't feel so struggled and frustrated.)

I honestly don't think she has any bad intention when being harsh on me. Yeah, sometimes I do feel shamed or humiliated. That's why I finally asked myself, do I really need it?

There are indeed lots of great comments here. Sorry I was't able to reply to each single one of them. Your opinions are appreciated very much.

I haven't made the final decision yet. I am still deciding if I should try again to ask her to be more laid back on me. I don't mind taking baby steps. I don't care if I only learn one piece a year. I am not taking any piano exam or joining any competition anyway. (Not that I am only going to make just enough effort to learn only one piece a year. I'll of course do what I can.) However, I don't think she will take it. I feel she is the kind of teacher who wants her students to do things her way. She often fires her students.

#1064931 - 12/19/08 06:10 PM Re: Should I force myself ?
GreenRain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Somewhere in Europe
 Quote:
Originally posted by Gyro:
In my opinion, the solution is a digital
piano. With your busy schedule a digital
will enable you to get in practice time
whenever is convenient. A grand piano
is going to limit you to practicing
at certain times so as not to disturb
people when they're sleeping, etc.,
whereas, with a digital, you can hop on
the piano at 3 A.M. and get in practice
time if that's what's convenient.

If you're thinking that you would ruin
your technique by practicing on a digital,
that's completely invalid, because
digitals are the best thing for developing
technique--your teacher will marvel at
your improved playing (but don't mention
the digital, because classical teachers
are notorious for hating digital pianos). [/b]
:)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fulfillment- a story in episodes:
by PhilipInChina
10/26/14 12:44 AM
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
10/25/14 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
10/25/14 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
10/25/14 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
10/25/14 08:34 PM
Who's Online
70 registered (ando, Beemer, beeboss, Alux, Alan_Dublin, 14 invisible), 1021 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76657 Members
42 Forums
158500 Topics
2327713 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission