Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1065174 - 10/20/04 10:28 AM Problems with Piano teacher!
Wolfi Offline

Loc: Norway
Hi there \:\) .

I'm 14 years old boy, and I live in Norway. And I have got a teacher in Piano. But she is from Bulgaria and talk English very good. But it isn't very easy, little difficult to understand things she said. First time I had lessons with her, she just wanted me to clap after the song, and it was difficult actually. And after that I must go home!!! And I was shocked!

I really don't like my teacher, and don't like to play piano when she will teach me. I love to sit on the front of the piano and have fun, and practice when she aren't there. She doesn't let me finish talking, she is so stressed when I'm playing, and she is jelling when I'm doing things wrong. That's not fun! \:\( . Is this how you are going to learn a 14 years old boy learning piano?!? It's just like she think I'm Mozart, something I whish \:\) .

I really don't now what to do. I have problems to find other to learn me! Is it something on internet I can learn something from? My mom have played since her was 5 to 19 years old. But that's 20 years ago. And she doesn't remember so much.
\:\) \:\) \:\)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1065175 - 10/20/04 10:52 AM Re: Problems with Piano teacher!
pianojuggler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Wolfi,

Welcome to the Piano Forums.

I believe that music should be enjoyable. Even if you are going to be a concert pianist and make music your career, it should be something you love to do.

If you do not like your teacher, and it is painful to practice, the best thing you can do is to find another teacher.

I would try once to sit down and discuss the problems with her, and see if she will change her approach. But it's likely that she is firmly set in the way she does things and is not going to change much -- not permanently.

If you do want to try talking through the problems, start by writing down what bothers you. For each problem, write:

1. What she does that bothers you. Be very specific. Not "she's mean", but "she does not let me finish talking."

2. How it affects you. Like, "I feel like she thinks my thoughts are not important."

3. What she could do differently that would be better.

Do this for each problem:
She yells at me
She doesn't let me finish talking
She wants me to clap
She thinks I'm Mozart
...and so forth.

If you don't want to talk with her, or she is not willing to listen, use this same list to explain to your parents what you don't like about your teacher, and let this help you find one you do like.

Keep looking for a good teacher. You will find one.

Tell us how it is going. Good luck.

#1065176 - 10/20/04 11:11 AM Re: Problems with Piano teacher!
Wolfi Offline

Well, I will try next week.
I cross my fingers that she will listen \:\) .
Thanks \:\)

#1065177 - 10/20/04 11:18 AM Re: Problems with Piano teacher!
Wolfi Offline

Oh, I forgot to ask something!
Can I ever be a really good pianist? Cause I have just started now, and I'm 14 year old. And how long will it take?
Thanks ;\)

#1065178 - 10/20/04 12:33 PM Re: Problems with Piano teacher!
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
OF course you can!

But from what you have told us here, I wonder if the two of you will be able to communicate enough to build a good teacher/student relationship.

Is there any particular reason you take lessons from this particular teacher? Are there others available where you live? Can you 'afiord' another teacher? (yeah.. I know.. bad western humor)

(I will confess that, map hound that I am, I don't know where More og Romsdal Smola is.)

Ok.. curiousity got the best of me.. here it is folks..

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/europe/norway_rel96.jpg

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#1065179 - 10/20/04 09:36 PM Re: Problems with Piano teacher!
Wolfi Offline

Thx, and sorry for dobbelposting!
Here is a picture where I have mark where Smola is. http://www.rwbue.net/bilder/dele/norway_rel96%20copy.jpg It's a island. \:\( Hehe, I'm not born there, I have lived most of my life in Oslo.

We have enough to find another. Hehe ;\) . But, she is the only teacher who have time \:\( .

#1065180 - 10/20/04 09:42 PM Re: Problems with Piano teacher!
valarking Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas
Wolfi, if it makes you feel any better, I started at about the same time and I'm progressing quite nicely. I may even major in music performance for college. You can definately do it.

#1065181 - 10/20/04 09:51 PM Re: Problems with Piano teacher!
Wolfi Offline

Cool. ;\)
When I hear about people who are good in piano most of them started as 5 year old. Then it's not to late \:\) .

#1065182 - 10/21/04 03:21 PM Re: Problems with Piano teacher!
David Kirkham Offline

Loc: Provo, Utah
Wolfi,

In the end, I think it all boils down to determination and practice. When I started my company in Poland, I bought a Polish/English dictionary and a plane ticket to Warsaw, Poland. The first time I landed in the country I couldn't even ask where the bathroom was. Everyone in Poland laughed at me when they saw my dictionary and my rudamentary attempts to speak Polish. They told me Polish was so hard even the Poles don't speak it correctly so it was no use to even attempt to learn the language. (The people were, nonetheless, very helpful and kind in my attempts.)

Today, I am quite fluent in Polish. I know far more engineering and techinical words than most Poles and most Poles do not even know I am an American when I speak. But, it took 7 years of grind it out determination and a lot of mistakes to get there.

If you truly want to play like Mozart--you are the only person who stands between you and a concert stage.

David \:\) \:\) \:\)
I bought my piano from www.pianocraft.net

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
157 registered (accordeur, Aibohphobia, ajames, aesop, 51 invisible), 1700 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75893 Members
42 Forums
156831 Topics
2304434 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Verdi-Liszt Miserere, Giovanni Bellucci's magnifico interpre
by Michael Sayers
08/21/14 12:00 PM
Frequency: [chaos] FrEQuueeEeeNCyyyyyyY
yy [time] = frequency

by A443
08/21/14 10:51 AM
Piano Tuning Database
by Sean Montgomery
08/21/14 05:35 AM
POSTING PICTURES
by bluebilly
08/21/14 03:19 AM
Portable Power Supply for Digital Piano?
by piccione
08/20/14 11:45 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission