2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
Would you like to expand or work on your intermediate and advanced level piano repertoire with others who share the same interest?

If so, use this thread to let us know you are interested in joining, or go ahead and jump on in any groups already in progress.

PLEASE feel free to start up a group on your own. You never know who else might also be interested in working on something you want to learn to play. In addition to being a helpful resource for you, these groups will also help to make learning these pieces a little less "solitary".

Schedule 2006:
June Week One: Recruiting & Ideas
June Week Two: Suggestions for piano pieces for the Group (Classical, Jazz, Modern, Other).
June Week Two & Three: Open discussions/suggestions on how to organize the groups & develop a music schedule.
June Week Four: Obtain music (purchase hard copies/download or share?)
July: Start new pieces, in group(s) of choice
August-December: Continued work on pieces and/or start new pieces, as desired.
December: Evaluate Experience & Decide on whether or not to continue in 2007.

Current List of Active Participants:
AdagioM, Agilita, apple*, Arias, Cookie74, Copper, crystalncrew (Crystal), dannylux (Mel), Darla, Debussy20, dk21208, DoMakeSayThink, dvdiva, Elssa, Euan Morrison, folly, Frycek, FurElise, gabytu, kawaigirl1, Laura D, LisztAddict, loveschopintoomuch (Kathleen), LudwigLives072, lynn510 (Lynn), MaryAnna, Monica Kern, Monster M&H, mr_super-hunky, Nina, Octavia, Opus45 (Jeff), petrof1, Peyton, Pianolina, pinot, psychopianoman, rockpeter, rocky, Sandy Moore, SAS, seebechstein, sheepdip, ShiroKuro, Shortcircuit85 (Andrew), sk99 (Tammi), Soleil_nuage, stephenc, Tolovemoon, TX-Dennis, vanfanel, Waterfall, Yamaha G3 & P-80 (Mike White), Yellowville

Current List of Developing Groups:

• Bach, French Suite #5
    [Nina*, ]
    *currently working on these pieces
  • Bach Prelude & Fugue in C# major from WTC 1
    [apple**, Waterfall, ]
    *polishing this piece
    *Currently working on this piece
  • Beethoven, Pathetique (Adagio)
    [AdagioM*, LudwigLives072*, MaryAnna, Octavia, Pianolina, sheepdip, ]
    *currently working on 1st Movement
  • Brahms, Waltz in A-flat
    [lynn510*, Shortcircuit85, yellowville, ]
    *polishing this piece
  • Chopin, Raindrop Prelude Chopin Groups
    [Agilita, cookie74, Copper, Euan Morrison, Frycek, loveschopintoomuch, lynn510, MaryAnna*, Opus45, petrof1, Peyton, Pianolina, SAS, ShiroKuro, vanfanel, Yamaha G3 & P-80, ]
    *currently working on this piece
  • Chopin, Waltz in A-flat Chopin Groups
    [loveschopintoomuch, Opus45, vanfanel ]
  • Chopin, Waltz in C-Sharp Minor
    [dannylux, loveschopintoomuch*, Opus45*, Pianolina*, pinot, vanfanel ]
    (Started June 9, 2006)
    The Chopin Groups have been combined and are located in this thread .
    Loveschopintoomuch is the threadist for the Chopin Groups.
  • Christmas Club :
    Carol of the Bells, Arranged by Margaret Goldston (The Virtuosic Christmas Performer)
    [Agilita, lynn510, Opus45, SAS, ShiroKuro, Tolovemoon, yellowville, ]
    Here's a link to the Carol of the Bells study group .
    Agilita is the threadist for this group.
    God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, (David Nevue's version) [Arias, kawaigirl1, Monica Kern, Opus45, ShiroKuro, Shortcircuit85, ]
    Here's a link to the Nevue Study Group: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen .
    psychopianoman is the threadist for this group.
    O Holy Night
    [dannylux, ]
  • Croatian Rhapsody, Huljic (Started June 5, 2006)
    [crystalncrew, Debussy20, dk21208, Euan Morrison, folly, kawaigirl1, Laura D, Nina, Opus45, petrof1, rockpeter, seebechstein, ShiroKuro, sk99, Soleil_nuage, yellowville, ]
    Here's a link to the Croation Rhapsody Study Group .
    ShiroKuro is the threadist for the Croatian Rhapsody Study Group.
  • Debussy, Claire de Lune
    [Agilita, DoMakeSayThink, lynn510*, MaryAnna, Pianolina, Shortcircuit85, ]
    *polishing this piece
  • Edgewater, by Jim Brickman (Started June 7, 2006)
    [kawaigirl1, Monica Kern, mr_super-hunky, rocky, stephenc, ]
    Here's a link to the Edgewater Study Group .
    Stephenc is the threadist for this group.
  • Linus and Lucy, by Vince Guaraldi (Advanced Version in A-Flat) (Started June 13, 2006)
    [Agilita, dvdiva, folly, FurElise, kawaigirl1, Monica Kern, Monster M&H, mr_super-hunky, Opus45, SAS, Sandy Moore, ShiroKuro, Shortcircuit85, TX-Dennis, ]
    Here's the link to the Linus & Lucy Study Group .
    Monster M&H is the threadist for this group.
  • Melodie, by Jules Massenet
    [Tolovemoon, yellowville, ]
  • Rachmaninoff, Prelude in C# minor, Op.3 No.2.
    [Agilita, dannylux, Darla, Nina, Pianolina ]
  • Schubert, Impromptu in G-flat major, Op 90 No 3
    [cookie74, dannylux, Frycek**, gabytu, LisztAddict, ]
    **considering
  • Take Five, Paul Desmond
    [dvdiva, kawaigirl1, petrof1, Opus45*, ShiroKuro, ]
  • Victors Piano Solo, Danny Elfman
    [petrof1, SAS, ShiroKuro, ] (Started June 13, 2006)
    Here's the link to the Victors Piano Solo Study Group .
    ShiroKuro is the threadist for the Croatian Rhapsody Study Group.

This list was initially developed from discussions in this thread .

Jeff
[Linked Image]
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
This space will be used for announcements of interest to all learning group participants, polling results, etc..

PLEASE consider joining the groups for pieces you may already be working on, or have already polished...it will be minimal effort for you and the group will really benefit from your experience (you could just pop in every now & then & offer suggestions/recording examples/etc)... Thank you.

Jeff
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Opus, thanks for setting this up! Looks good!

BTW, put me in the Linus and Lucy group, I'm a glutton for punishment! laugh

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
L
Opus,

I'm not sure where I fit level-wise, but I'd love to join in. I am just polishing the Brahms "Waltz in A flat", and am hoping to start Chopin's "Raindrop Prelude" this summer. I have also finished "Clair de Lune" and would like to try the "Carol of the Bells" for the holidays (were almost half way there!)

ShiroKuro,

I didn't read the entire starting thread for this topic so I don't know if this was brought up to you, but there is a website "digitalsheetmusic.com" I think, and, if you download a free reader-type program, you can download sheet music. You can also print the first page for free, just to get an idea of the music. The other neat thing is that you can transpose it to any key you want. I used it to look at a piece of music before I bought it and found it helpful.

Lynn

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Glad to, Opus.

Here are the sheets for the classical pieces listed so far:

Please note that sheetmusicarchive.net allows only 2 downloads per day.

So please download the pieces you are most interested in first, and the rest later.

Thanks.

Beethoven Sonata Pathetique:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=138

Beethoven Bagatelles:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/single_listing.cfm?composer_id=3

Brahms Waltz in A flat, Op.39 No.15:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=198

Chopin Raindrop Prelude, Op.28 No.15:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=244

Chopin Waltz in A flat, Op.69 No.1:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=273

Chopin Waltz in c# minor, Op.64 No.2:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=271

Debussy Claire de Lune:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=1136

Debussy Reverie:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=758

Massenet Meditation from Thais (first page only):

http://www.everynote.com/goods.1/thais.pdf

Mozart Ah! Vous dirai-je, Maman K.265:

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

Rachmaninoff Prelude in c# minor, Op.3 No.2:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=1043

Schubert German Dances:

A Ton Of Them

Schubert Impromptu in G Flat, Op.90 No.3:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=1331

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
ShiroKuro: Thanks, you're now in the Linus & Lucy group!

Mel: I know I'm not the only one who appreciates you taking the time to provide us with those links!

Lynn: Delighted you've elected to join in, I've added you to the 2 groups you mentioned. And Lynn, you've given me an idea...perhaps in these groups we can include the names of people who've already finished the pieces mentioned? For example, with your permission I could add your name to the Learning Group for *Clair de Lune, and Brahms Waltz in A-flat, not as one who is learning the peice, but as a potential resources for questions regarding the piece? What do you think?

Jeff
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Lynn, traspose it digitally, and then get the score in a different key? Wow, that would be a great resource!!! I am on my way over there right now!!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
L
Opus,

Absolutely...it would be a pleasure smile

ShiroKuro,

I hope this is helpful...you can also change instruments and tempo...very cool stuff. thumb

Lynn

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Opus,

Put me in the Take 5 group as well.

Txs

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Opus,

great job setting this up it really does look excellent.

I would like to participate, and if its not too late suggest a piece. It is called Edgewater by Jim Brickman and sounds very much intermediate, something more than beginner intermediate but certainly not advanced.

Thanks

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Opus, I have just now been getting around to reading these threads. Sounds like it will be fun.

Count me in on the Linus and Lucy as well as Clair de Lune.

Andrew - Shortcircuit85

If you were not sane, you would never misunderstand this question or the consequences of not comprehending its meaning.
I think we all owe Opus alot of applause for putting this wonderful group together. thumb
In reveiwing your list, I realized I have myself signed up for more groups than I can handle ! :rolleyes: There are only so many hours in the day available for me to practice. Opus , I need for you to take me out of the Linus and Lucy and the Ashokan Farwell group. That would leave me signed up in Take 5, Croation Rhapsody and Victors Piano Solo.
The Croation Rhapsody I think is a little over my head. I have printed out the music and so far I have played around with a few measures here and there and it's alot of fun to play around with , so I decided I'll stay in that group, but I know I won't be able to handle half the music. whome
Take 5, will be another major challenge for me, I've played around with that a little and have yet to manage to put both the left and right hands together.
Thanks again Opus and I am very excited about this musical adventure! smile

Make music not war
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Petrof, Victor's Piano Solo is pretty easy (compared to the rhapsody) so that should be a good balance.

Say, can we start the thread about Victor's Piano Solo now, cuz I really want to know what a cluster chord is and what we can do about that terrible ending. It works in the movie, but not in my living room!

Opus, I know that's maybe jumping the gun... But who will start each thread? Maybe assign one person to be the "threadist" for the piece they suggested or the piece they know the most about? So you'd be the threadist for Take Five, I could be the Croatian threadist etc. How does that sound? And then the thread titles would be something like

(song title) Learning Group

How does that sound?

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
SHIRO: I agree with you, the Victor's Piano Solo does have a terrible ending eek and we DO need to fix it! I will not tolerate that kind of ending either! We'll work on that when we do our thread! thumb

Make music not war
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
from ShiroKuro
But who will start each thread? Maybe assign one person to be the "threadist" for the piece they suggested or the piece they know the most about? So you'd be the threadist for Take Five, I could be the Croatian threadist etc. How does that sound? And then the thread titles would be something like

(song title) Learning Group

How does that sound?
I think it sounds terrific! And I agree with the structure of the thread titles. It would be helpful for the titles to be somewhat unique and easily remembered because the will very likely sink down the list as we spend time practicing these pieces...this will make it more convenient to quickly search the thread title to find the thread once it's off the rapidly changing threads on the first few pages. Of course, the threads can also be easily bookmarked.

As for the person(s) to start the threads for the individual groups (the threadist?)... I nominate "loveschopintoomuch" (Kathleen) for the chopin groups!

I wouldn't want to hold anyone back from getting these groups started, but do keep in mind it may take longer for more folks to decide to join in the groups and will take some time for everyone to obtain the music needed for the different groups.

Jeff
[Linked Image]
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
petrof1
The Croation Rhapsody I think is a little over my head. I have printed out the music and so far I have played around with a few measures here and there and it's alot of fun to play around with , so I decided I'll stay in that group, but I know I won't be able to handle half the music.
Take 5, will be another major challenge for me, I've played around with that a little and have yet to manage to put both the left and right hands together.
You bring up a good point petrof...we will be learning at different rates, all of us will have more or less time than everyone else (i haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet, did that make sense?)...and there will be differing levels of music reading & playing experience within these groups. Perhaps we should consider a reasonable timeline to devote to the different pieces? I won't be able to learn to play the Croatian Rhapsody in a month, so for me 3-6 months might be reasonable (considering how much time I have to play the piano, and considering that I'm also learning other pieces, etc..). If it takes longer, well then, it will take longer...no biggie.

[Edit, Hey, I like the terrible ending to Victors Piano Solo...]

Jeff
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'll do Croatian rhapsody, too.

ShiroKuro, we're talking about the downloaded version that you and I have both played with, not the Japanese version, right?

Q
Q
How about the Adagio from Beethovens Pathetique? I am starting that and could use some interaction.

I'm a fool for Chopin. The biggest mistake in my life......Thinking that fishing was more fun than Bach when I was younger.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Opus45:
[QUOTE]You bring up a good point petrof...we will be learning at different rates, all of us will have more or less time than everyone else (i haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet, did that make sense?)...and there will be differing levels of music reading & playing experience within these groups. Perhaps we should consider a reasonable timeline to devote to the different pieces? I won't be able to learn to play the Croatian Rhapsody in a month, so for me 3-6 months might be reasonable (considering how much time I have to play the piano, and considering that I'm also learning other pieces, etc..).
[/QB]
How about we learn & discuss the piece in sections every week. So depending on the difficulty of the piece, we can maybe set 2 lines to learn and also discuss the challenges & how to overcome them. Then that way we can pretty well learn the piece at approx the same pace.

I would like to sign up for "Linus and Lucy" and "Croatian Rhapsody" (if the latter is indeed the online version.

Thanks smile
Karen

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission