2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
musdan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Back to the fourth grade and drawing pies on the blackboard,

My first teacher sort of taught it but didn't really spend much time on counting/rhythm. It's important to my new teacher and she's right on.

Math and I are at odds with each other and it's really a challenge for me - whole notes, 1/2, 1/4 8th etc. and in turn keeping the right rhythm in the pieces we are working on.

I know it will all come together - just have to keep at it till it sinks in.

My guess is that I'm not alone in this counting/rhythm puzzle.

smile confused

J
J
You are not alone smile
For me, though, since I read the advice in this thread http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/32/6762.html my sense of time and rhythm has improved tremendously and I can honestly say that this has been the single most important factor in my overall improvement in the last 6 months. So I definitely think it would be worth your while to invest the time and energy to improve in this area.

J
J
I like to think in terms of the pulse.

If you're in a quarter note pulse, eights divide the pulse into 2 equal parts, triplets divide the pulse into three equal parts and sixteenths divide the pulse into four equal parts.

Live Music Is Best
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Like math, lots of people have trouble with rhythm/counting (like me!), and, like math, there are a zillion ways to explain/conceptualize this stuff...so you just have to keep asking questions about what in particular you're having difficulty with, and eventually someone will explain it, or a lightbulb will come on, and you'll get it.

It's not really that difficult, once you get a handle on it. But it's getting the right handle that can sometimes take a while wink

Like math - I firmly believe that the main problem with math is that it tends to be taught by people who find math easy!! wink

You're on the right track. Think of each measure like a whole pie. The time signature tells you how many pieces you can divide it into. The notes tell you how to further subdivide each piece.

I would definitely learn this stuff away from the piano first, in order to understand its organizational structure. And that I would do in 2 different ways:

One, to learn the basic structure (ie the 'pyramid' of notes...ie in 4/4 time 1 whole note = 2 half notes = 4 quarter notes = 8 8th notes etc...), and to be able to work it out on paper, do rhythm worksheets where you fill in the missing note, etc.1

Two, to apply what you learned...clap rhythms while counting out loud, etc.

THEN put it all together with notes at the piano.

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Learning the notation and organizational principles is certainly first. But you also have to learn to feel it at the keyboard.

A metronome is invaluable for dealing with many rhythm problems: even triplets, alternating between triplet and eighth notes in the same measure, polyrhythms (like 2-against-3), giving long notes and rests their proper values, etc.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have

Play at first Sight
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store...amp;cm_re=289.1.4-_-Results+Item-_-Title

and
Sight Read any Rhythm Instantly
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store...amp;cm_re=289.1.4-_-Results+Item-_-Title

both of which seem to be very useful for learning rhythms. (I have not worked through both of them.)

I also found this book to have a very interesting approach (even though it is for band):
The Simple Rhythmatician
http://www.kjos.com/sub_section.php?division=1&series=222

The first two books focus on feeling the patterns and pulses instead of detailed counting. The last book as a link to an introduction section that will explain it's approach.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I am pretty firm in the belief that one of the reasons so many people say they "have trouble" with counting/rhythms is that it is not taught as a seperate skill...and it should be.

Especially as beginners, people think the notes are more important than the rhythms, and when the music gets more difficult, will concentrate on the notes more than getting the rhythms right.

It's really too much to ask for many beginners and relative beginners to be learning to count out/play rhythms *only* at the piano. Teach it as a seperate skill, away from the piano, get people confident that they can read/play rhythms correctly, then combine and learn it at the keyboard as well.

It gets to be overwhelming otherwise.

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
musdan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Many thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

Guess it's back to the drawing board.
smile

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission