Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
116 registered (anamnesis, ando, accordeur, anotherscott, 29 invisible), 1636 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1066889 - 06/04/08 12:05 AM How to form a piano club?
qfwfq Offline

Loc: College Station, Texas, USA
Hi, I'm a new member of this forum. I'm an adult beginner (34 y/o) living in College Station, Texas, USA. It's been a year since I started piano lessons and I'm enjoying a lot so far. It has become my main interest outside my day job.

The lessons and my teacher are great, but I feel this adventure would be a lot more enjoyable if you can share the learning and the progress with other people. I guess it is natural that the lessons are individual (and maybe it is better for the progress), but this means I'm not in contact with any other student to share things. There was a meeting, organized by the teacher, in which we played for each other, and it was really fun. I tried proposing that we can meet monthly or so just to play whatever we are learning or whatever we want, without pressure, just for fun, but there was no enough interest or energy to do it. I must say that I'm very shy and I suffer from social anxiety, making much more difficult to organize something like that. I was actually amazed at myself that I could propose it in the reunion, but it didn't work \:\(

So, I thought to ask two questions to the people in the forum:

1. Are there any people from around College Station that are interested in meeting and playing "mary had a little lamb" ;\) or just talk about tricks or cool things you have learned with the piano?

2. Do you people have any tips or suggestions about what is the best way to implement this kind of "piano club"? I mean, what are the ways to keeping it interesting for the people, the frequency to meet, etc.

Best wishes to everyone.
Walter

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1066890 - 06/04/08 09:32 AM Re: How to form a piano club?
Mechanical Doll Offline

Loc: Garden State, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by qfwfq:
2. Do you people have any tips or suggestions about what is the best way to implement this kind of "piano club"? [/b]
You could try posting on craigslist, and if your local music store has a bulletin board, you can try putting a flyer there. \:\)

Music is moonlight in the gloomy night of life. ~Jean Paul Richter

#1066891 - 06/04/08 11:54 AM Re: How to form a piano club?
rockpeter Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal Canada
Try an ad in your local newspaper.
''Want to share ideas and pratise tips ?''
I am currently trying to get a beginner piano club together so that we can share ideas.
Call now...oh and if you call within the next day I'll give you free sheet music of Einaudi...but wait...thats not all....If you call within the next 2 hours...I'll let you play on my Steinway..

anyways, something like that.. \:\)

Peter

#1066892 - 06/04/08 01:12 PM Re: How to form a piano club?
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
If you think about it, this place is your piano club... \:D

#1066893 - 06/04/08 01:18 PM Re: How to form a piano club?
ChristinaW Offline

Loc: Washington DC
I think these are good ideas -- Craigslist and some local newspaper. The odds are you just aren't going to run across a whole lot of people who want to do that on here.

There are also websites for that kind of thing -- look at www.meetup.com

#1066894 - 06/04/08 01:31 PM Re: How to form a piano club?
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Central TX
I would guess that it would be tough to find enough folks in a town as small as College Station. You might have better luck if you were willing to expand out to Austin or Houston.

Another potential avenue is that the Austin chapter of the Music Teachers Association has a monthly news letter. Perhaps you can get a blurb in there (you could offer to pay, that would probably help \:\) ) asking teachers to "spread the word" to their adult students who might be interested in getting together for regular "jam sessions" or recitals or piano clubs or whatever you want to call it.

You can certainly try CraigsList (hey, it's free), but I don't know if enough people in the group you're looking for would be actually looking out for such a post.

#1066895 - 06/04/08 02:33 PM Re: How to form a piano club?
Piano World Online   blank

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
You might want to try a Piano Forums Party/Gathering first, to drum up some interest.

See this section for some ideas...
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/forum/22.html
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
Invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield let's get together!

#1066896 - 06/04/08 06:45 PM Re: How to form a piano club?
Late Beginner Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: West Australia
Hi Walter,

I've had the most success at finding musical buddies through becoming a regular visitor to my local music shop. Anywhere that other musicians may go is worth trying too, either by asking around or putting up a notice. That includes anywhere that teaches music or sells music related products. Libraries and supermarkets are other places that might have community notice boards where you could hang a short message, a picture of a piano, and a little fringe of tear-off strips with a contact phone number on.

Also, don't rule out people who aren't specifically pianists. There are others interested in music - including singers, flautists, guitar players etc who may also make good buddies to swap ideas with and have a crack at playing together. I have also heard that old folks homes are a good place to find people who are interested, and who can make both good music buddies and an appreciative audience. I've never actually tried that one out, but piano has been popular over many generations and there are bound to be a few residents who would love to talk, and to share their skills and knowledge.

Good luck with your quest.

Chris

#1066897 - 06/04/08 08:36 PM Re: How to form a piano club?
qfwfq Offline

Loc: College Station, Texas, USA
Thanks to everyone for the ideas! I feel inspired to do something, to implement some of them. I hope the feeling lasts (I tend to loose my self confidence quickly ;\) )

By the way, congratulations to everyone for keeping such a nice community around here. I was just listening to some of the pieces in the Recital thread, and it made me want to participate in the next one. I have to overcome the (apparently common) red dot syndrome, though.

Best wishes,
Walter

#1066898 - 06/07/08 12:40 AM Re: How to form a piano club?
polostrings Offline

Loc: Hawaii
FREE FOOD \:D

#1066899 - 06/07/08 01:04 PM Re: How to form a piano club?
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I can understand and relate to your wishes, it would be nice to be able to also have a real group to learn from and interact with in addition to our virtual friends on this forum. Too bad you are not geographically close by or I may join.

Good luck to you!

Key Notes \:\)

#1066900 - 11/20/08 12:54 PM Re: How to form a piano club?
dantama Offline

Loc: North Florida
 Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the ideas! I feel inspired to do something, to implement some of them.
qfwfq: Did you get anywhere with the club idea? I am also thinking trying to organize a club locally..

#1066901 - 11/20/08 01:02 PM Re: How to form a piano club?
Yoke Wong Offline

Loc: California
What a great idea! This will keep us (especially those who don't attend regular private lessons) accountable for piano practice and performance.
You can look up at http://www.meetup.com
I have found some interesting groups through that site - it is categorized according to your interests and locations.

Yoke Wong

#1066902 - 11/20/08 02:57 PM Re: How to form a piano club?
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
I think this shows how important music can be in peoples lives. Even people who are shy and suffer from social anxiety (which I do too a little bit), because of their love for music can thrive in a (music related) social situation.
\:\)
I don't have any recommendations other than what has already been posted but I would just say keep talking to people and keep the idea going and eventually it will all come together.
Good Luck.

#1066903 - 11/20/08 03:04 PM Re: How to form a piano club?
frida11 Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
You've gotten some great suggestions. I've tried to put together a piano group in our town, and had no success. There just aren't enough committed people. However, I did find 1 person to play duets with, and that is working out great. We have even gone to each other's lessons and played the duets for the teacher as part of the lesson. If you don't get a group together, this might be an option for you.

#1066904 - 11/20/08 09:55 PM Re: How to form a piano club?
Ivory Dreams Offline

Loc: Central NC
In the early spring, I took an adult piano course at the local community college. On the last night, we went to the instructors home for drinks, snacks and a recital. (Hey, adults have "way cooler" recitals than children). We had a ball. The food, the drinks, the fellowship was even better because we had this thing called the "piano" in common. Good Luck on your piano club. If you were a thousand miles closer.... I would join.

You can own a Chickering, Christifori, or Steinway, but if you can't play it.... It is just a piece of eye candy.

#1066905 - 11/22/08 06:00 PM Re: How to form a piano club?
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
It's tough, isn't it? I tried Craig's List and www.meetup.com as well. When I tried to start my own local Piano Meetup, only one responded, said he always wanted to learn to play piano but couldn't play at this point. (I referred him to this web site/ABF for help). I finally joined a local Jazz Meetup group hoping to meet a variety of musicians, as well as pianists, but although about 40 people had signed up on line, nobody ever went to the meetings (held at a local restaurant). http://jazz.meetup.com/165/

Also, when I took lessons from a teacher who taught at my local community college, I asked her if she had other students interested in some type of piano group or duets, and she said no.

Hope others had better luck.

#1066906 - 11/30/08 07:01 PM Re: How to form a piano club?
piano4 Offline

Loc: Hampton, Virginia
i too am trying to get a group together, not necessarily all piano, but enough folks who are interested in playing together for the sheer joy of it! I haven't heard any thing yet, and while you're a little close to me, it would still be quite a distance to drive. Good luck!

#1066907 - 11/30/08 09:08 PM Re: How to form a piano club?
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I answered an ad I saw on Kijiji. (it's a local advertising site - much like craiglist I think) We have 4 members but only me and one other show up regularly. It's ok though because we were the only two piano players and working on duets requires a little extra time prior to working as a group. Good luck with your search. Working with another player is a whole new thing for me. I'm an intermediate 'solo' player but VERY 'beginner' with duet pieces. It is fun and a great learning experience!! We also spend a little time 'performing' our lesson pieces for each other.

#1066908 - 12/01/08 09:14 AM Re: How to form a piano club?
piano4 Offline

Loc: Hampton, Virginia
Okay! then there is hope:-) I'll check craiglist and go back to the music store, (one has closed so I can't find out anything that way)
Thanks! take care

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
country style piano
by seniormoment
15 minutes 16 seconds ago
Fanny Waterman criticizes British pianists
by bennevis
20 minutes 7 seconds ago
Clarifying arm weight technique
by pianolearnerstride
37 minutes 8 seconds ago
Piano Magic Fakebook
by dlovull1
Today at 11:31 AM
Veritune and rescaling
by kennyz
Today at 09:29 AM
Forum Stats
77382 Members
42 Forums
160037 Topics
2350167 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission