Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1067146 - 11/23/08 11:40 PM What's best at this point?
Keysnoob Offline

Hello all, I just discovered what looks like a wonderful forum.

I'm wondering if I can get some advice on piano playing given my situation.

I'm 29. My "musical history" is thus...I was active in high school/church choral groups when I was a little younger. I also played the hand bells for my church in my teen years which was really my only experience sight reading music.

I've played guitar since about age 13 and have become by all means quite good at it. I play entirely by ear and am well-versed in all the standard classical/jazz/blues/rock scales and chord shapes and am very capable in most musical scenarios on the guitar.

I've been writing my own music since my late teens and also have some experience on the bass guitar and drums.

At this point I want to be able to add in keyboards into my music. That is my primary goal.

I'm not interested in sight reading music for all practical purposes. Now before I get hung out to dry for saying that, I'm not in any way opposed to doing that or saying that it is not necessary and will cross that bridge if needed.

I basically want to be fluent enough with a piano that if I'm working on my own music or with others in the writing process that I can contribute.

I want to learn chord shapes, playing by ear and piano songcraft.

Now, let me add the "catch" into the mix. There are only a couple of piano teachers in my (very rural) area. Neither one has a compatible schedule allowing me to take lessons so at the moment it looks like I will be at least starting with some sort of home-study course.

Given all of the above...where should I start?

Thanks so much in advance for any insight you more experienced people can offer.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1067147 - 11/24/08 12:36 AM Re: What's best at this point?
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I honestly thought when I read "the catch is..." that you only have one hand or something... Anyway. I'm 29 also but started with piano already in my late teens, but still had to work without a piano teacher for almost all of my learning.

I think that for songwriting keyboard stuff the fastest thing would be to start working immediately with lead sheets, which you may be familiar with from guitar. The melody is written, along with the chords. If you go this route, this much sight reading you will have to learn, but it's only one note at a time. After doing a bunch of songs in this way you'll become familiar with a lot of chords.

I find it extremely helpful to transpose a song I've learned as a lead sheet into all 12 keys. This takes a lot of time, especially the first three or so times, so it depends on how much time you're willing to devote to the piano.

The only trouble with lead sheets is you tend to get into a cycle where everything sounds similar, since your left hand tends to produce the same rhythm on the chords unless you teach it something new. The way to get new rhythms is either to listen to recordings and reproduce the rhythm on a variety of songs, or to learn to read music.

If you need to learn the basics, like what the chords mean (which keys make a C7 etc.), I think there are a good number of resources available. All you need to know is which notes are which on the piano (A-G etc.), and then you need to know how many half steps up to count in order to get all the notes of a major chord, or a major7 etc., and then you can apply that to the lead sheets. To learn the melodies you would have to learn how to read traditional sheet music, but it is pretty easy to learn if you're just doing a melody. Maybe you know the basics though...

Baldwin Model R (1974), Hardman 5'9" grand (1915), Rieger-Kloss 42.5" vertical

#1067148 - 11/24/08 01:33 PM Re: What's best at this point?
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
Keysnoob,
You might want to pick up a book and scales and the Piano chord encylopedia for now. I think they will give you a good overall view of how the chords and scales are laid out on the keyboard.

These are two books that I like..
Scale book:
http://www.amazon.com/Original-Piano-Sca...7551489&sr=8-10

Chord book:
http://www.amazon.com/Keyboardists-Pictu...27551558&sr=1-1

#1067149 - 11/24/08 10:41 PM Re: What's best at this point?
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Welcome to the forum, Keysnoob. \:\) It sounds to me like you are well-equipped to make very fast progress in piano. My only advice would be to seek out at least one lesson, formal or informal, from somebody trained in piano who can show you the proper posture, bench position, and way to hold your hands. Playing with the wrong posture etc. can lead to injury down the road.

#1067150 - 11/24/08 10:54 PM Re: What's best at this point?
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
Welcome!

It seems like some course from Duane Shinn, or Ed Weiss (quiescence music), or Yoke Wong, or Pianomagic, or David Sprunger (mainly accompaniment) may be suitable. You can google those and find some free stuff to peruse. You can do a search in this forum too. There are often free lessons on Youtube from many other sources.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (*windowlicker*, accordeur, ajames, 36251, 37 invisible), 1358 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157140 Topics
2307790 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chopin experts: this is driving me nuts
by riley80
45 minutes 20 seconds ago
At Last - My VPC1 is Ordered!
by EmptySpace
53 minutes 19 seconds ago
Pin block not contacting plate flange
by Bob
Today at 08:33 AM
? 4 CA95/CS10 owners - soundboard vs external speakers
by markmarz
Today at 05:55 AM
Might play in hotel lounges/bars!!
by Pover
Today at 04:18 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission