Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1067332 - 08/06/08 11:04 PM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rosanna:
Malzeit, Lisztener,

Arrggh,I don't need more of you putting on the pressure! Did you come across my recent thread on dreading to go to the piano? We finally "diagnosed" that it's due to an unhealthy internal expectation that I put on myself. Now I have external pressure too. Geeezz!!! I got to go back to the shrink! \:D

(Thanks for your high regards for my playing. \:\) ) [/b]
Sorry Rosanna for adding to the external and in turn internal pressures, but I'll also miss hearing your playing too since I'm also a fan. \:\(

Best Regards,

Key Notes \:\)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1067333 - 08/06/08 11:33 PM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Key Notes,

It's great that you chimed in to add more mental turmoil for poor Rosanna.

Rosanna, look with me into the future and feel the anguish you have inflicted upon Key Notes. How can you possibly deny her and the rest of us your valued presence?

[Way to go, Key Notes. We need all the pressure we can find.] \:D

Tearfully,

Lisztener

#1067334 - 08/06/08 11:58 PM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
I'd love for you to submit a piece Rosanna!

You see, I submitted a new recording of my piece today so I'm looking for as many new entries as possible to I won't feel as bad from going from #13 to #34.

OK, so I love listening to all the music that is posted here so that's another reason. I'd also love for the recital to break a new entry record.

Besides, you wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of any of your secret admirers that may be lurking about the forums!

#1067335 - 08/07/08 07:10 AM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
 Quote:
John Frank,
I shall ignore you. \:\)

Frankly, I don't know if I will submit or not. I thought I would, but I still haven't gotten around to it. A poorly played piece will not only disappoint my fans (ha!), but it would tarnish my reputation, no? (double haha!) [/b]
Ha! Double haha yourself! - you can't ignore me - I'm too pervasive and persuasive - and besides, you couldn't play a piece poorly if you tried - so, just stop playing "hard to get", get busy working on your selection, and get it submitted - you can thank me now or thank me later for the "nudges" - but you will thank me ;\) - and then we'll all thank you for the joy of listening to your delightful playing

Regards, JF

P.S. as you've seen your fans are waiting in eager anticipation! \:\)

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1067336 - 08/07/08 08:50 AM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
 Quote:
Malzeit, Lisztener,

Arrggh,I don't need more of you putting on the pressure! Did you come across my recent thread on dreading to go to the piano? We finally "diagnosed" that it's due to an unhealthy internal expectation that I put on myself. Now I have external pressure too. Geeezz!!! I got to go back to the shrink! \:D

(Thanks for your high regards for my playing. \:\) ) [/b]
Don't let them pressure you, Rosanna! Don't do it! Don't give in!

(Oh, wait, on second thought, go ahead, give in and submit something. \:D )

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#1067337 - 08/07/08 10:06 AM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Opus45 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Hi Rosanna,

I expressed my own doubts about submitting something this time around in the other 11th recital thread.

I allowed myself to be convinced to go ahead and submit something even though it's not really ready. Maybe you're a perfectionist like myself? You know, we are relatively anonymous here so this is a pretty safe place to let go of the perfectionist tendencies that sometimes bind us and prevent us from participating in life events.

Why not go ahead and submit something? I'll show them mine if you show them yours? ;\)

#1067338 - 08/07/08 10:24 AM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Looks like Rosanna is off the hook for a bit as the rectal server is currently sending me back a 404 page not found error.

Don't worry though Rosanna! I'm sure it will be back up soon!

#1067339 - 08/07/08 10:28 AM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Opus45 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Looks like Rosanna is off the hook for a bit as the rectal server is currently sending me back a 404 page not found error.

OMG! Okay, I'm having second thoughts about participating in this recital again.

#1067340 - 08/07/08 10:35 AM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh, phew!

It's back already!

Resume submissions!

#1067341 - 08/07/08 10:37 AM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Strat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
 Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyB:
Looks like Rosanna is off the hook for a bit as the rectal server...[/b]
The *rectal* server? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I'm easily amused. \:D

#1067342 - 08/07/08 10:49 AM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ouch, that was a painful spelling mistake. At least it was funny!

Gotta love words that do that when you omit one measly letter. Of course, the word then doesn't get that silly little misspelled underline squiggly thing so I didn't pay as much attention as I should have. \:\)

I do get spoiled by all this real time spell checking as I type.

#1067343 - 08/07/08 03:07 PM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
A note to my fans:

"Lisztener, John Frank and all my known and secret fans, (when your names are singled out, you know you assume more "guilt",)

You are all indeed making a basket case out of me!

I needed an extra session with my shrink this morning after reading all the posts. My shrink said I absolutely and urgently need to spend 2 weeks at a spa, and take total time off from the piano to recover from the deep trauma that I am experiencing. Anyone knows of a good spa, where there are NO computers, so I can get from away from my "fans"??

Distraughtedly yours,
Rosanna"

(Triple, quadruple hahahaha!)

Really you guys are just too funny!

Opus45,
I am not sure if I am a perfectionist - may be more an obsessive compulsive?! \:D

And no, I put my foot down. I am not promising anything for the recital! So there! \:D

#1067344 - 08/07/08 03:49 PM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rosanna,

You are a good sport. Let us know what spa you are going to, to relax and get away from all the external pressure, and we'll visit the same spa at the same time to help you relax and forget all about entering the recital that you know you should enter because hundreds of thousands of people are clamoring your name,

"Rosanna...Rosanna...Rosaana we want you to play for us in the recital!"

Enjoy your day, sweet Rosanna,

Lisztener \:D

#1067345 - 08/07/08 04:04 PM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Breaking news from PianoPress. 18 minutes ago.

"Rosanna, a year-long member of ABF, and a two-time recital participant, was reported missing by her family. A note was found on her piano.

'My ABF friends,
Why is the world so crueal and demanding? I didn't do anything wrong. I don't deserve this.

I left this afternoon, in cognito, to an undisclosed location. Please don't look for me until the 11th World Famous Recital is over.

I will return when I am ready to touch the keys of my Kawai again.'

The Recital mentioned in the note is a quarterly event at the World Famous PianoWorld Adult Beginners' Forum. It is known to generate great excitement among the members. But on many occasions, members were also known to complain about the stress of recording their recital piece. Such stress is fondly known as the Red Dot syndrome. However, this is the first known disappearance case that can be attributed to this event.

An all-point-bulletin has been sent out on all piano-related forums, including at PianoMagic where her last known post was made. Her family said that she'd left her mood-stabilizing medication behind. It was newly prescribed by her psychiatrist after a very traumatic double-session this morning. Anyone with information on this person should immediately contact the authorities."

\:D \:D \:D

#1067346 - 08/08/08 06:47 AM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
Well, I decided to go with Vasily Kalinnikov's Moderato in e flat minor.

It's a very deeply introspective, heart-felt piece; much different from my usual extroverted and joyful pieces.

I also wanted to do my bit to honor Kalinnikov by playing his beautiful Moderato and sharing it with others.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1067347 - 08/08/08 04:43 PM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rosanna,

I hope you have returned to the funny farm!

Sincerely,

Lisztener \:D

#1067348 - 08/08/08 07:46 PM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Opus45 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Rosanna
And no, I put my foot down. I am not promising anything for the recital! So there! \:D
So, you haven't ruled it out. That's good. ;\)

#1067349 - 08/08/08 08:59 PM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Opus45, you are a sharp cookie.

#1067350 - 08/08/08 11:34 PM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rosanna,

Thanks for the fun. \:D

Welcome back. The pull of your piano is too magnetic to repel...and that's great. \:\)

Quote:

I will return when I am ready to touch the keys of my Kawai again.'

[/b]
Enjoy a relaxing weekend,

Lisztener

#1067351 - 08/09/08 04:42 AM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Babs_ Offline

Loc: Gulf Coast
Great to read how well the recital is coming along. \:\)

Unfortunately , I won't be participating this time. \:\(

I had a freak accident 2 weeks ago. It happened on a very wet day and i slipped on the concrete, did a few crazy circles and then took a hard direct landing right on my kneecap. My kneecap was split in 2. I was horrified by the looks of it. Lucky for me the Comcast Cable Guy was nearby, he called 911 and stayed by me , held my hand and gave me pillows until the ambulance came.

They performed emergency surgery on me, discovered the bottom half of my kneecap was crushed into pieces so they completely removed the bottom half of my kneecap. The top of my kneecap is being held together by wires . I spent a week in the hospital, had some minor complications mostly due to all the drugs they were giving me there! \:o

Now I am on my second thick black foamed and metal leg brace , it covers my ENTIRE right leg The Dr says it will be a 3 month recovery which involves physical therapy. I wont be able to bend my knee for 3 months. SO much for using the pedal on the piano.

Anyway I had 2 songs that I was working on for this recital. One was a Nevue song and the other one was a Scarlatti Sonata. I was going to pick between the 2 as to which one made a better recording. Of course neither one is ready for the recital, they both need at least 2 more weeks of work. And now I can't use the pedal. Oh well..................there is always the next recital. ;\)

Good luck to all of you and I will be listening to ALL your pieces.

#1067352 - 08/09/08 05:06 AM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
Babs - that sounds soooo painful! I was cringing just reading the words on the screen, can't imagine what it must have actually felt like.

Just take it easy, and hope the recovery and physio go well.

#1067353 - 08/09/08 11:37 AM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Babs_ Offline

Thanks Euan for your kind words.

Yeah...........it was painful, the nights are the worst, so far I am only managing a few hours sleep cause I am a rolling side sleeper and the long thick double foamed metal brace fitting my entire right leg weighs a ton , which means I have to sleep on my back and I hate that! :rolleyes:

#1067354 - 08/09/08 12:22 PM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

I hope you get well soon Babs.

I've been lucky enough not to require any hospital stays but I do dread that a bit as I'm a tummy sleeper. They'd have all these IV's in my arm and then I'd try to roll over in my sleep resulting in a tangled mess of tubes. \:\)

#1067355 - 08/09/08 12:43 PM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
OMG, Babs - that sounds awful. But, but, but - can you pedal with your other foot? Sort of like using your left foot on the accelerator (oh, whoops - I didn't confess to ever doing that, did I?) Or, uh, working on that finger legato? Well, maybe not. But get well - we hope to see you back on the volleyball court soon \:D

Cathy

#1067356 - 08/09/08 12:59 PM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Euphonatrix Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hessen, Germany
ouch!
get better soon - wish you a speedy recovery. (Maybe you try some Bach without pedal at all? But I imagine even sitting is awkward when you cannot bend your knee)

#1067357 - 08/09/08 01:32 PM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Babs_ Offline

Anthony, I was rolling around on my side and tangling the IV tubes and then the darn beeper would go off, and the nurses would come running and then I got chewed out by the nurses for it! \:D

Jotur, As a matter of fact the physical therapist was over here the other day , he plays piano too. He said my only option was to use the wheelchair with the right leg rest ,lower the leg rest until it rolls right under the piano and use my left foot to pedal. I am not allowed to bend my knee for 3 months. I tried playing the piano that way for just a minute , and it was very awkward using the left foot for pedaling. But the real awkward part was my fingers, they felt like they had been in the twilight zone. Oh well...I'll try again next week, when I am a little calmer and can focus better. I am still in shock from my KLUTZY FREAKY FALL! :rolleyes:

Eupho I am not into Bach right now. But I was working on the Scarlatti, Sonata in C. It is from the Baroque period. My teacher said that song requires no pedal or very little at all. And I do LOVE that song.

#1067358 - 08/09/08 02:07 PM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Oh Babs, how AWFUL!! \:\( I hope you have family and/or friends you can count on to do a lot of your errand running etc.

#1067359 - 08/09/08 02:34 PM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
Babs - just on the the topic of Scarlatti (his name doesn't appear much in the ABF!) - have you heard his sonata in D (k535)?

That's a piece which I really love, and it contains possibly the best chord progression in music in the middle!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypJ3ypF6I_E
(section between 1:20 and 1:30)

#1067360 - 08/09/08 03:23 PM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Babs_ Offline

Monica, I have 2 teenage boys here helping out. Although their idea of a clean house isn't quite my idea, \:D which is why I have a maid here once a week.We're eating pizza , yogurt, take out Chinese food, shortbread cookies and bananas more often now. Paper plates and Paper cups are popular around here now ever since the boys started fighting over whose turn it is to do the dishes. \:D
In 2 weeks my sister is coming for a week. And also I have 2 more weeks of hourly visits from the nurse and the physical therapist. Of course after I get the brace off in 6 weeks I have to go to an outpatient physical therapy clinic to learn to bend my knee again

Most of all I have my cat who is my real nurse, he sits on the bed and comforts me,and licks my right leg whenever I am in pain. I can tell he misses the piano playing though because he is always sitting on the piano bench looking at me with sad eyes. ;\)

Euan, I do like some Classical as well as New Age. \:\)
I checked out that utube clip you posted,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypJ3ypF6I_E
Wow, Beautiful, I love Scarlatti, I wish I had more of his music, the utube clip above it is too complicated for my level , but I can dream !

This is the piece I was working on before I took that humiliating klutzy fall on the wet concrete, it is more on my level. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkd1Dz1pzJE
My teacher says it is played with no pedal or very little pedal so this maybe this is the the one piece for me to get back to work on when I can focus better and figure out to position myself with keeping my right leg straight. I love the song because it has a upbeat melody, it is fun to play and all those hand crossovers are a blast!

#1067361 - 08/09/08 06:41 PM Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Babs_

I am so sorry to hear of your terrible injury. Please accept my sincere hopes that you mend quickly from this tragic circumstance. Please keep us all informed of your continuing rehab progress.

My sincere best wishes are with you,

Lisztener

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help IDing grandfather's 1920s piano exam piece
by Valencia
09/16/14 11:42 AM
That awkward non-playing hand...
by TX-Bluebonnet
09/16/14 11:15 AM
New Kawai CE220
by Dr John 48
09/16/14 09:23 AM
Piano covers
by Jamie
09/16/14 08:51 AM
Yamaha U3
by RGibson
09/16/14 06:58 AM
Who's Online
151 registered (255, accordeur, albumblatter, ajames, 47 invisible), 1429 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76219 Members
42 Forums
157560 Topics
2314294 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission