2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, danno858, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
This way, someone can take my piece and rearrange it and *I* will be the one asking "what the heck did you do to my song"!
I hereby volunteer in advance wink

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by LaValse:
Oops, you need to test it too - we upgraded to the latest PHP last week... Sorry, forgot to mention it...
Sure, the testing will be from Aug 1 until Aug 15, ha ha. smile Why test when you can have users do that for you? laugh

I've been working on Bridge Over Troubled Water and it definitely is giving me trouble (sorry, I couln't resist). I start off nice and slow with the intro, but about half way through it starts taking off like a freight train. I can't seem to reign it in. It gets louder and louder and faster and faster. Just like "lions and tigers and bears, oh my....." By the time I've finished the last chord I feel like I've played a tune Baron Von Frankenstein would have been proud of. A bit of this, and a bit of that all sutured together to form a nameless monster. I'll give it some more time and try to smooth it out or else I'll serve it up to the Bergermeister and the crazed villagers.

[Linked Image]
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just came back from vacation yesterday, and see that the recital is a month from now... Don't have anything ready; I am kind of tired of running a romantic marathon though, maybe I'll do something classical for a change... Mozart..? Suggestions, anybody?

Yuri
FWIW; YMMV
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by YD:
Just came back from vacation yesterday, and see that the recital is a month from now... Don't have anything ready; I am kind of tired of running a romantic marathon though, maybe I'll do something classical for a change... Mozart..? Suggestions, anybody?
For a REAL change, you can play us some boogie woogie!! laugh
Hope you had a good vacation.

[Linked Image]
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Rosanna:
Originally posted by YD:
[b] Just came back from vacation yesterday, and see that the recital is a month from now... Don't have anything ready; I am kind of tired of running a romantic marathon though, maybe I'll do something classical for a change... Mozart..? Suggestions, anybody?
For a REAL change, you can play us some boogie woogie!! laugh [/b]
I'd played in a rock'n'roll band but that was 20 years ago when I was a student. Now it would be totally out of character...
Hope you had a good vacation.
Thanx; in fact, unbelievably good; we traveled all over Brazil - I may post some pictures in the OT thread later this week smile

Yuri
FWIW; YMMV
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I'll be entering my first improv. Although I know nothing about the proper construction of improv pieces, I'm using the "hunt and peck" method to put together a "pop" song that really caught my fancy. The last I played around with improvising was with "Blue Moon" and "Heart and Soul" when I was a young teenager.

epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mahlzeit:
Originally posted by LaValse:
[b]Oops, you need to test it too - we upgraded to the latest PHP last week... Sorry, forgot to mention it...
Sure, the testing will be from Aug 1 until Aug 15, ha ha. smile Why test when you can have users do that for you? laugh [/b]
That's a time honored tradition: if it works it's production, if it doesn't then it was a test.

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
O
O
In each of the last few recitals I've really wanted to make a submission, but the deadline has been bang in the middle of either hideous amounts of coursework or exam finals! I've finished uni now though, and I'm damned if I'm not going to make this one!

Looking to hopefully submit Chopin's Waltz Op. 64 No. 1, also known as Minute Waltz or Petit Chien.

epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, I figured out what I'm going to submit -- something a little different for me (i.e., not classical and my own arrangement). This time I'll make sure there are at least FOUR notes!

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

*bump* just to make some folks nervous... laugh

And my tech is scheduled to come out this Thursday to tune and voice my piano! yippie So this weekend I'm banishing the children outside and going at it hot and heavy with the Zoom. eek

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica K.:
So this weekend I'm banishing the children outside and going at it hot and heavy with the Zoom. eek
Monica - can one safely assume that the "Zoom" is an audio recording device?

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

JohnFrank: laugh laugh

Oh boy, my tech left yesterday and I absolutely LOVE how my piano is sounding. heart My kids had better pray for good weather this weekend because they'll be spending most of it outside while I'm recording! If they're well-behaved I'll even set out a bowl of water for them! eek

...all of which is another way of saying "bump." One week until the recital opens...

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Heh, still have to update the software. smile

Oh, and to think of something to perform. That would be good too.

Hey, I just got back from my 2 weeks vacation ( without practicing piano frown ). The first time I played again, it was like relearning the pieces and this thread is adding pressure (and Monica kept bumping it to the first page). I am currently polishing my 2 new pieces so I will see which one is better to submit to the recital, the other one I will use to participate in the next month piano bar. So this weekend is critical for me and you guys will definitely hear "a lot of clunkers" from me in this recital as I won't have time to play with "red dot" much.

TB

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Monica, thumb

I can hardly wait to hear you play on your freshly tuned and "voiced" piano. Is this the first voicing you've had done to your piano? Having mine voiced was the best enhancement to the overall sound of my piano of anything else done to it since I've owned it...other than regular tunings.

I'm happy for you and I'm sure that the others in your fan base will be as happy as me. yippie

Warm regards, laugh

Lisztener

This is the second real voicing the piano has had; it's been about two years since the last voicing, and some of the high notes were getting rather shrill, and the bass notes had a few high ringing overtones. Now it sounds overall much mellower. heart

If I have time, I'll start a thread where I post "before and after" recordings of the same snippet of music and see whether anybody else can tell a difference.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Great idea, Monica,

I forgot to ask if this was a needle voicing, or did your tech take your keys out of your piano and sand the faces of the hammers?

I had difficulties with keys that were too loud compared to their neighbors. My tech put a painter's drop cloth over the piano bench and the surrounding floor, then proceeded to remove the keys from the piano and place them on the bench to sandpaper the hammers. After replacing the hammers, he fine tuned with the needles to make the key strikes more uniform in volume for the same pressure applied to each. Since that "major" voicing, my tech continues to needle the necessary keys to keep the touch uniform each time he tunes the piano. He said that after three years, depending on amount of use, we'll consider another major voicing.

Regardless of how your tech voiced your piano, I'm delighted that you can discern an audible difference. laugh

Enjoy...enjoy...enjoy! yippie

Best regards,

Lisztener

He was definitely sanding the hammers... I didn't see any needling, but that could've happened when I wasn't looking. He also did something that involved taking a hammer and whacking away on the bridge (well, "tapping delicately" is perhaps a better way to put it)... levelling the strings, perhaps?

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
OK, folks. I have updated the recital submission software with a few small new features.

The performer's name will be written in bold text, and there is a field for entering your location so we know where you're from. Also, the duration of the pieces is now automatically calculated from the MP3.

I also made some other changes that you won't see -- until they break something. So when you are submitting your MP3 for the recital and you find something strange, send me or Monica a PM. smile

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission