2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica K.:
He was definitely sanding the hammers... I didn't see any needling, but that could've happened when I wasn't looking. He also did something that involved taking a hammer and whacking away on the bridge (well, "tapping delicately" is perhaps a better way to put it)... levelling the strings, perhaps?
I believe he was making sure the strings were seated at the bottom of the bridge pins. This allows the string to terminate precisely at the bridge pin and bridge. That makes sure that all the strings for that note are all the same length, or as close as design allows. If you look close enough, you'll notice that the pins are at a slight angle, this helps to hold the string down against the bridge. You can also look straight down on the 3 pins and see that the notch in the bridge intersects the centers of the pins (they should be very close) that's a sign of a quality piano.
...disclaimer...not a tech in anyones mind but my own....

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mahlzeit:
OK, folks. I have updated the recital submission software with a few small new features.
Mahlzeit,
you are awesome! Thanks for doing all this.

[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Monica:

I think I once posted that when my M&H was brand new, it played like a truck! frown .

VERY heavy-sluggish action. Come to think of it, many of the M&H pianos I played were like that and the dealers told me that it could easily be changed with some action work and teflon dust lubrication (amongst a host of other little tricks/tweeks). Apparantly many good pianists like the heavier action so they have more control over the keys and not just loose slop!

After a day with a good tech, my piano played like an absolute dream.

With the extreme humidity we are having now due to the monsoon season, I am expecting things to possibly get a bit sour but so far so good.

I don't want to tune the piano now knowing that our humidity levels will go to almost nothing in just another month so I'm going to wait.

Most everyone else will probably be in a different situation since they will most likely have a more constant humidity level.

The difference my tech made on my piano was literally taking an instrument I could barely play to making it a fine tuned race car!.

There is no reason to pay an exorbitant amount of money for an over priced tech but a good one will be worth every penny.

BTW, this upcoming recital I will finally be submitting a 100% originally composed piece. I figure I've hacked up everyone elses music so much that it's about time to "put up or shut up"!.

A good improviser should be able to compose their own music at this point. I don't want to be called a "poser"!! wink .

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
BTW, this upcoming recital I will finally be submitting a 100% originally composed piece.
thumb This is going to be one that I abuse my admin privileges on and cheat and listen to early. smile

I banished the kids to their rooms today (too hot to chain them outside, alas), and got one usable take of a piece that I feel happy about. yippie

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Haha.

Hey, a good tip would be to use some type of soft rope to tie up your kids as it leaves less marks than chains laugh .

Also, some dry toast and a water bucket is really all they need for the day. (plenty of starch easily converts to glucose for energy) and their electrolytes should be fine as long as you tie them up under a shade tree.

The threat of a good spanking should also keep them quiet and I don't think child protective services even answers the phones on the weekends so you should fine for a least a few hours :p .

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Mr S.H... laugh laugh laugh

Monica, Whenever I read posts about children interferring with practice or recording I am reminded that I have absolutely no excuses. My three boys are all grown up and one even has a child of his own!! How do you do it???

I have three little Christopher Norton pieces almost ready.... my summercamp is off this year so I've been mindlessly 'playing' with non classical pieces (shhhhh don't tell my teacher).. although I have been trying to bring Moonlight back....Would that be too boring for a recital????

I also haven't turned on my metronome, practiced scales or any of the technical exercises he left me with......tsk tsk..... I've still got 4 weeks before my next lesson ... maybe I'll cram :p

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
Unless I get a decent recording today or tomorrow, I may have to skip this one. On Monday we're off for a week in the San Juans with no piano in sight. I'll be back for four days before we go off to the Sierras for another week.

Ted

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Count me in! I'm working on finalizing a Final Fantasy piece (from FF X-2) called Wind Crest. It's especially not easy for me given my skill level right now, but I've been working on it for months and it's almost ready. I'm confident I'll have something to show for all those hours of effort & practice come August 15th. laugh

Started playing in mid-June 2007. Self-taught... for now. :p
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
3 months used to be a long time.

I'll be there.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
I can't turn in the piece I've been working, I don't think it'll be ready. Maybe I'll go to an old standby that I just need to polish a bit...

Estonia L190 #6826 [Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Typical - you decide on a piece, work on it until it's almost ready, and then you hear something else which makes you think "i want to play that one instead!"

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I had a fairly decent recording going when my 92 year old step grandmother I'm watching this month called me from the other room. Oh well. smile

She can hardly hear (even with the hearing aids she has) and can barely see so she doesn't even likely know when I'm playing my digital piano from my bedroom.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a good recording at some point without being interrupted. If it's any consolation I did play the tricky parts fairly well the next few times through without the recorder turned on (I was just practicing those spots). That's something I've not been able to do too many times as of yet.

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]
At the end of the last recital, I had a great plan to learn a piece "as written" instead of playing something on the fly, by ear. I picked out my piece, and jumped right into it... summer got in the way, and I only have half of it... so, it may end up only partly finished if I can't get my behind in gear to sit and learn some more (yard work never ends!!!)

1905 Geo P. Bent Orchestral Grand Upright "Crown" 35415
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
I'm ready... laugh

But I almost punched out the "Red Dot" smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My piano is not in tune, but talk about humidity fluctuations ... July in DC? Even though I keep the room at ~50%.

I have missed the last two recitals, but I'm determined to submit something for this one. I'll work on it tonight.

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Okay, I will submit Ravel's "Sonatine", first movement.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
K
K
I will try to submit a couple of short pieces that I played at my 1st recital recently. It didn't go as well as I hoped, so this will be my second chance smile

Soldier's March, Op.68 No.2 (Schumman)
German Dance in Amaj, WoO 13 No.11 (Beethoven)

Monk - Boo Boo's Birthday
Bach - Two Part Invention No.11
[Linked Image]
C
C
I spent some serious time with the old red dot today but I still don't quite have something I'd like to submit. I'm waffling between submitting Grieg's Waltz (Op. 12, No. 2) and the first movement of Clementi's Sonatina in C (Op. 36, No. 3). Any requests?

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
ABF Recitals: [Linked Image]x9 — Studio Recitals: x17
[Linked Image][Linked Image]*
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Looks like only me and Serge so far are representing the Beatles.....

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by angelojf:
Looks like only me and Serge so far are representing the Beatles.....
angelojf - Here Comes the Sun is one of my favorite tunes. I can't wait to hear your version.

I was watching "The Bee Movie" last night (the animated Jerry Seinfeld movie) and the movie closed with a pretty good version of Here Comes the Sun.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission