2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (amc252, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,995 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
We just celebrated my daughter's wedding and had a fabulous time. Haven't had much opportunity to practice, but I hope to submit either "Crazy" or "Bridge Over Troubled Water."

If anyone is looking for a great band for a function I highly recommend "Clockwork" if you're in the New England area. They were exceptional. They have a website to check out their sample songs. They really made the whole evening unforgettable. PM me if you won't any other details.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Mark - you could bust your hand punching out the red light then you'll be playing one of those rare left-hand-only pieces in the next couple of Recitals (yes, there actualy are some).

csci - no waffling - that's for politicians only - and you don't want to sink that low!

Euan - this delicacy called "haggis" you keep extolling - is it best when served rare, medium or well done?; what wine goes with that? and is it available in the States or only in Scotland?

Also - does anyone have Monica's "magic code"? I'd like to substitute a Jerry Lee Lewis tune for her usual Einaudi selection in the recital - she needs to get away from those lovely, but mellow, New Age pieces and "rock" a little more now and then.

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

JohnFrank: laugh laugh

I have to say that I have once again been shamelessly abusing my admin privileges and listening to some of the pieces as they filter in, and all I will say is that this is going to be a fine recital indeed. thumb

In fact, I liked Euan's piece so much I hunted down the sheet music and have been practicing it obsessively the last two days.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by John Frank:

Euan - this delicacy called "haggis" you keep extolling - is it best when served rare, medium or well done?; what wine goes with that? and is it available in the States or only in Scotland?

Regards, JF
Hi JF,

Firstly, I don't have any personal photos from Loch Lomond (mentioned on the other thread). There are plenty on google, but I still think it looks nicer when you are there smile

As for haggis, you are better just following the instructions that come with it (it's not a single cut of meat, so it's more like "cook for x amount of minutes" rather than cooking to taste).

You might be interested to note that haggis might not be widely available - the US government put a ban on the traditional product due to some of the ingredients!

However, there are a couple here:
http://www.caledoniankitchen.com/catalog/
[although they are quite expensive!!]

If you do get one, just be sure to get some turnip and mashed potato to go with it ('neeps and tatties')

As for wine, probably something red and full-bodied. Or some malt whisky?

Good luck!
Euan.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica K.:

In fact, I liked Euan's piece so much I hunted down the sheet music and have been practicing it obsessively the last two days.
Well, if you fancy recording that one yourself (and follow JF's advice to ditch Einaudi, feel free.

I can get something else done in time. It's not exactly rocking like Jerry Lee, but you obviously like it very much!

Oh no, Euan... there's no way I'd have it ready and up to tempo and Red Dot standards by the 15th. Besides, I don't want to give up my coveted #3 spot. laugh

Besides, I know how much JohnFrank is looking forward to my Einaudi piece and wouldn't want to let him down... :p

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, if you change your mind - I'm about to 'downgrade' my piece to the bar, so it's yours.

[You can alway "abuse" your admin powers and keep at position 3!]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I believe that we have a Scottish Festival this coming weekend here in the Denver area. If you really want some haggis, you might be able to find some there. laugh

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Get your haggis, right here! Chopped heart and lungs boiled in a wee sheep's stomach! Tastes as good as it sounds!
I hope I'm not disclosing any state secrets here, but I was watching some mindless TV the other day, and what should I hear, but that very quote. Like much of the wit and wisdom of our era, it's from The Simpsons. Groundskeeper Willie has a booth at a carnival where he is selling haggis for 50 cents and that's what he says.

Simpson\'s Script Link

My hat's off to Euan for taking a throw-away line from a TV show and creating one of the most memorable sig lines on PW! thumb

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I have to say that I have once again been shamelessly abusing my admin privileges and listening to some of the pieces as they filter in
Tssk, tssk.

And no fair! Can I report this to our moderators? smile

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Bluekeys - very good, you got me! I should really give credit to G.Willie for such a good line, however!

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Willie gets some of my favorite lines. Here is another:
Brothers and sisters are natural enemies. Like Englishmen and Scots! Or Welshmen and Scots! Or Japanese and Scots! Or Scots and other Scots! Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!
And I'm allowed to say that. Here are my Coat of Arms and Tartan:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Besides, I know how much JohnFrank is looking forward to my Einaudi piece and wouldn't want to let him down... :p
Monica - I actually am looking forward to hearing your Einaudi piece in the Recital - don't let this get out but I'm really a "closet New Age fan" (have been ever since I heard some David Lanz stuff more than a decade ago, and some of the more recent offerings of Keiko Matsui) - and while Einaudi is certainly no Jerry Lee Lewis wink , he is very talented and listenable in his own right - and your previous interpretations of his work are exceptional in appeal and execution.

So, please don't accept Euan's offer - he seems far too anxious to "dump" the piece :p

Regards (and enjoy the haggis everyone!) JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
JohnFrank: laugh laugh

I have to say that I have once again been shamelessly abusing my admin privileges and listening to some of the pieces as they filter in, and all I will say is that this is going to be a fine recital indeed. thumb

What is the record for submissions and are we going to top it this quarter?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Bluekeys,
Wow, your tartan is EXACTLY the one on the kilt I wore for high school! What Clan is that?

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Rosanna:
Bluekeys,
Wow, your tartan is EXACTLY the one on the kilt I wore for high school! What Clan is that?
'Tis Davidson, no?

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

Originally posted by Mark...:
What is the record for submissions and are we going to top it this quarter?
The record is Recital #10, with 63 submissions. We currently have 32 with 9 days to go... I couldn't guess as to whether we'll beat it or not. On the one hand, it's summer, so maybe people have more time to fool around with the Red Dot. On the other hand, it's summer, so maybe people are too busy with vacation or back to school stuff. Maybe we should start a pool. I'll guess 65. laugh

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by IrishMak:
Originally posted by Rosanna:
[b] Bluekeys,
'Tis Davidson, no? [/b]
Aye! Looks like I've been unkilted. laugh But luckily my highland heritage comes from my mother's side, so my anonymity remains intact. wink

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Rosanna - so as not to disappoint you (because I know you're counting on getting these from me) please consider this as your official "gentle nudge" of encouragement for submitting one of your always tasteful and well-executed selections to the upcoming 11th ABF Recital - you don't want to disappoint your fans (one of whom am I (is me?)) smile

Regards (with sincere entreaties), JF

Originally posted by John Frank:
don't let this get out but I'm really a "closet New Age fan"
hee hee... I knew it. I'm betting you have an 18" x 24" poster of Einaudi hung over your piano, too. laugh

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission