2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 9 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
I found my high school senior "memory book" (1978, in Hawaii) in which I wrote down the cost of common items at that time; I was shocked to find my parents were paying just $5.00 for my 30-minute lesson! If only it were the case now.........my $45 I pay now would give me over 4.5 hours of lesson time now, which I could really use! smile

I wrote that I wasn't practicing as much as I wanted because Senior year was very busy. I also wrote that I liked practicing Bach, hated scales, and hated most of the pieces in one of my books. I still like Bach, like practicing scales now, and remember throwing away that book I didn't like after I stopped taking lessons. One piece from that book that he had me play for a recital was "Baby Elephant Walk". I love baby elephants, but despised that piece!

A few other things I wrote:

Gas: on base (military) was 70¢/gallon, and 78¢/gallon off base
Minimum wage: $2.65/hour
Soda from machine: 25¢
First Class Stamp: 13¢

Some of the shows I used to watch: Charlie's Angels, Mike Douglas, Johnny Carson, Midnight Special, Monty Python, West German Soccer and a soap I watch till this day if I'm home "The Young & The Restless".

I wish I had written more in the book because it really brings back memories......

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Don't even look at piano prices... smile

sleepingcats said:

I found my high school senior "memory book" (1978, in Hawaii) in which I wrote down the cost of common items at that time; I was shocked to find my parents were paying just $5.00 for my 30-minute lesson! If only it were the case now
Hate to rub it in, but I guess since I only pay $10 an hour, that would be what you payed back in 1978.

Before anybody starts assuming that my teacher is not worth very much, know that he has been playing for almost 60 years, teaching for over 40, conservatory graduate, can sit down and play the toughest music from sheets up to speed almost flawlessly sight unseen, and is in my opinion an excellent teacher, balances out theory, technique, and creativity(making music) so as to keep his students moving along and entertained.

Why does he charge such a ridiculously low amount, you ask? He likes teaching, doesn't take many students, and does not really need the money. He just likes teaching people who want to be good piano players just to be good piano players. Seeing someone like myself advance as he challenges me more and more and seeing how I enjoy it so much is enough reward for him. I would assume the same is true for his other students.

Now gasoline on the other hand, that I cannot match.

It does put things in perspective, though, considering the amount I am saving, while still receiving great lessons.

Be blessed

Hisalone

Psa 33:1-3 ¶ Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright. Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings. Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Ya think God would permit 88 strings?

Hisalone
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Did you go to Radford High School, by any chance?

I'm a '76 grad, so we must be close in age.

I remember...

$0.10 to catch the bus (students), I think it must have be $0.25 for adults.

$3.00 to go to the movies.

$0.25 for a school lunch.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Hisalone,

You're so fortunate to have $10/hour lessons, but even more fortunate to have such a fine teacher!

Akira,

Radford Rams.........I remember them! I went to Leilehua HS.

Yes, the 25¢ lunches and 10¢ for the bus. I continued to ride "The Bus" for 25¢ to Leeward Community College and then to UH, transferring at Ala Moana. It was a real treat if I got to drive rather than take the bus!

Oooh, I remember 25¢ for video games.......my favorite was Galaga, but I liked Pac Man too laugh

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yesterday we walked the kids to the local Graeter's for ice cream. After paying something like $3.50 for an ice cream cone, I reminisced about the ol' Thrify Drug Store of my childhood where single, double, and triple scoop cones cost 5, 10, and 15 cents, respectively. *sigh*

That was before my time in Hawaii. How much was shave ice?

Aloha!
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica K.:
Yesterday we walked the kids to the local Graeter's for ice cream. After paying something like $3.50 for an ice cream cone, I reminisced about the ol' Thrify Drug Store of my childhood where single, double, and triple scoop cones cost 5, 10, and 15 cents, respectively. *sigh*
Those were Great Depression Era prices (or so my Grandfather told me) wink

Regards, JF

P.S. Heading up to our local ice cream parlor for a giant Black Raspberry waffle cone due to sudden, inexplicable urge.

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
M
M
Originally posted by Hisalone:
sleepingcats said:
I found my high school senior "memory book" (1978, in Hawaii) in which I wrote down the cost of common items at that time; I was shocked to find my parents were paying just $5.00 for my 30-minute lesson! If only it were the case now
Hate to rub it in, but I guess since I only pay $10 an hour, that would be what you payed back in 1978.
Given the price of gas, that's more than what I charge.

Yes, I remember my lessons as a kid in the 70's was $5 for a half hour.

Sleepingcats, by the way, the Mules were state champs in football last year. Yea!!

Aloha!
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well, since we're waxing the memories, I'd first have to convert everything into kiddie consumer iteams such as candy, gum, and firecrackers since that was the only thing I was in the market for back in the 70's.

Wacky packs = 10 cents
Italian ice (from the good humor truck) = 25 cents (free wooden spoon included!).
Candy necklace = 10 cents
Bottle rockets = 10 cents each
Pack of firecrackers - 25 cents each
M-80's = $1.00 each (good for blowing up mailboxes)
Smoke bomb = 50 cents each (Great for any activity using a stadium/bleacher seating format)!.

When I took piano lessons as a kid in the late 1950s, I carried a $1 bill each week to pay for a 30 minute lesson.

My grandpa had a service station then. Gas prices were usually in the 20s (cents per gallon) but I remember "gas wars" between stations when the price would drop to 18 or 19 cents a gallon.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission