2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 15 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Matthijs,

I tried Red Dot, it's a great little software. I have one comment,

When I set my Audigy sound card as my midi ouput with soundfont, there is no sound except when I hit record.

It would be nice if Red Dot sends the midi data from my keyboard to the Audigy without having to press record.

It's because I like to practice playing before recording.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Serge

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Serge,

You are correct: Red Dot doesn't open the MIDI input until you press Record.

I might change it to the way you describe, but I'll have to think about it because it changes some of the underlying logic and I need to make sure this doesn't hurt the user interface.

By the way, this would also allow the user to start/stop recording by pressing a key on the keyboard, which would be a very handy feature.

Thanks for the feedback! smile

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mahlzeit:
Hi Serge,
By the way, this would also allow the user to start/stop recording by pressing a key on the keyboard, which would be a very handy feature.

Thanks for the feedback! smile
That would be cool thanks!

Serge

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Don't expect me to work on this anytime soon, though... I'm way too busy at the moment. (Hint: the source code can be downloaded from http://reddot.sf.net laugh )

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Mark737:
Ok, now I'm able to record but when I wear my headphones I lose my stereo sound. And it's difficult to play in mono...

And ideas?

Mark
Are the 1/8" to 1/4" adapters that you used Stereo? (In other words they should have 3 sections, not 2). If not, you are shorting the right channel to ground, and that's why you only hear in mono.

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mahlzeit:
Don't expect me to work on this anytime soon, though... I'm way too busy at the moment. (Hint: the source code can be downloaded from http://reddot.sf.net laugh )
Of course I don't.

serge

- Robert Schumann

S
S
Hi, can anyone recommend a good USB MIDI cable that I can buy online? I bought one from eBay (brandless from China) and it stopped working after I used it once. I have a Roland RP101 and used it with RedDot, works great the first time but after that the program never detected the cable anymore.

-------------------------------------------
http://www21.brinkster.com/scmay
Part-time Private Piano Teacher
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Have you seen this or a similar list? Roland compatibility list

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
mahlzeit..btw, just thought I'd let you know I resolved my issue...simply burned exsisting music to a CD-RW, then just re-ripped it at a reduced sampling...

for those out of the loop, I had some music that I had ripped at a really high bit rate and when I tried to sync it to my mp3 player, it wouldn't play...only supported 192 bitrate or lower...

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
S
S
Originally posted by guest1013:
Have you seen this or a similar list? Roland compatibility list
Haven't seen this before. This list doesn't mention the my piano model, and this is only for Vista & later. I am still on XP.

-------------------------------------------
http://www21.brinkster.com/scmay
Part-time Private Piano Teacher
C
C
hi,

I have a question which is not really covered in the tutorial. I have a Yamaha P-120 which connects to the PC with a to-host/d-sub cable. I installed the Yamaha midi driver but I don't know how to get audacity to recognize the input. Also, I only have the audio input options "stereomix", "CD-Audio" and "microphone" (SigmaTel soundcard) but no line-in. Can anyone help me with this?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi conny,

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you are using MIDI instead of audio. With this setup, you would be recording the notes you are playing instead of the sound of your piano.

If you go to the pianoclues website
http://www.pianoclues.com/how-to-record-piano/
look at the section on how to record MIDI. You will want to be using a program like RedDotForever or Reaper to record instead of Audacity. This section of Mahlzeit's site will walk you through what you need to do to set up your recording.

You will probably also want to convert the MIDI files to WAV or MP3 files and this page will walk you through the options for this:
http://www.pianoclues.com/2008/03/11/how-to-convert-midi-files-to-mp3-and-make-them-sound-good/

If you want to use Audacity and record the sound of your P120, then you need a different cable. I would connect from the Aux Out of the P120 to the microphone in on your sound card. See page 11 of your manual and I would suggest using a cable connecting the two 1/4" mono phone plugs to 1/8" stereo phone plug. This would let you control the volume on your keyboard. It would not be an ideal set up, but it would work.

For better sound, you could use an external USB audio interface, if your computer has USB ports.

Hope this helps
Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
C
C

Hi Rich!

I saw your post only yesterday cos I was waiting for a notification from the forum.

I tried the variant with Red Dot Forever and it is working now!! smile Thank you so much for your advice, I was getting frustrated already wink

Eva

P
P
Originally Posted by gerg
mahlzeit,

To record from your acoustic piano here are a few options:

* Condenser microphone (or two, for stereo).

* A professional mixer from E-Bay with microphone module. I got two professional-grade Peaveys for $60.

* Audacity is the free recording program of choice.

* Ensure your computer is capable of sampling audio input in the form of a microphone or line-in jack. Most modern PC's have this capability.

In my case the whole setup ran about $130. To do stereo I'd need to spend another $60 for another microphone and cord and another $??? for a second microphone module. I already have the two mixers.

Once you perform your recording, depending on your PC you'll need to remove the noise. My PC generates a lot of noise into the AC line, and this gets picked up by the mixer and must be removed with Audacity. Yet, if you remove too much you'll affect the recording's acoustic quality (make it sound like your in a room with wierd walls).

The alternative is much simpler but costlier: get the Zoom recorder. It will not have the line noise problems.

The noise is the result of you hooking your mixer up improperly to your computer. Check out the tips in this article.
http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_hookup_a_mixer.htm

T
T
Anybody try to record using the digital camera?

All the recent digital camera like my canon S2 have sound recording function and the quality of the recording sound is quite good and can be played back via TV or computer, off course sound file need to be copied from camera to computer.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi bigcat, welcome to the forum. smile

I tried using my digital camera a couple of times. It's a Canon Powershot. Unfortunately the sound quality was very bad... lots of clipping and distortion. This was disappointing because I had seen YouTube videos where people used their cameras and got pretty decent sound. So I'm glad it's working for you.

Nowadays I just use my Zoom and splice the audio track onto my Flip mino video using MovieMaker.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Since most recordings today are done digtally, don't forget the Nyquist theorem, which states that you have to digitally sample the sound at a rate at least twice the highest frequency component of the source sound.

If you sample at too low a rate, you'll get "aliasing", and the sound will suck. This often shows up in amateur recordings. Sounds with lots of high frequency components (such as loud audience applause) come out sounding like trampled mush.

You have to either (a) raise the sampling rate or (b) roll-off the treble. (For better sound, prefer choice "a".)

Check your recording software and make sure you use an adequately high sampling rate. Given the prodigious storage and network bandwidth available today, it doesn't pay to select a low sampling rate.

Here are some of the selections available in Audacity. Note that these are minimal settings. You might want to go higher.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
You're right about the Nyquist frequency, but I would be surprised if any recording device in use today didn't use a low-pass filter before the sampling stage in other to remove the frequencies above the Nyquist limit. wink

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Tell that to the people who record crap for you tube. smile

B
B
I'm getting a "404 not found" message when I try to look at the link on how to record digital piano to computer. this is it
http://www.originalsolopiano.com/how-to-record-piano.html

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission