2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Okay, I know this idea may be a bit far-fetched, but what if?.

What if in a WAY future date we actually had a REAL recital somewhere. Say in a location in where everyone could plan a mini vacation trip around the actual recital like Las Vegas, San Diego, Disneyland etc.

We could all chip in a few bucks to rent out some small setting along with a really nicely prepped piano and not only finally get to meet one another in person, but perform for each other as well.

Yes, I know, at first this idea may seem a bit unrealistic, especially knowing that we have active members from all over the globe but it could happen if we really wanted it too.

A plane ticket, a hotel for a night or two and it could become a reality!.

Personally, I would do it and would love the chance to meet our other members as well and listen to them perform. Finally putting a face to a *user-name* would be kind of neat as well.

Like I said, this (for now) is just a far fetched thought but I would like to know what everyone else thinks about doing this and if we actually did it, would you attend?.

epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, since I'm in Southern California and your proposed sites are all within 5 hours of driving -- sure! If, on the other hand, you were to propose someplace in New England in, say, January -- probably not (my blood has thinned since I left there in 1955).

In reality, sure, I'd consider almost any location even though I'm new here and not anywhere near as good piano player as most of the people on this forum.

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think we should do some kind of world tour.

Anyway, I doubt I would attend because flying to the USA is expensive and they'd probably turn me back at the border. wink

Unless I can get me some fancy job that involves flying around the world...

A European event would be cool, though. smile

Perhaps London would be good on the tour, as we can't all get to USA, even if we wanted to.

Life without Piano is Death
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
You know, I picked U.S cities as by Coppers maps, the vast majority of the ABF members live here in the U.S but that does'nt mean we can't look for an excuse to travel abroad!.

I would'nt mind visiting my family if Holland but for everyone else, it might be a little chillier than say going to Monte Carlo!.

I do think a U.S based location may have a better turnout just because of the amount of members we have over here; but then again, I DO have a lot of flyer miles built up just waiting to be used!.....Hmmm!.

Holland sounds good.
I propose Amsterdam.
Lots of fun to be had there.

Life without Piano is Death
Or there could be two: One in USA and one in Europe. smile

ex - pian00b
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
With the US $ so weak, going to Europe, especially the UK, would be mucho expensive!

On a realistic level, I feel a bit torn as to whether to attend. I would love to meet everyone in person and really get to know all of you in physical (vs cyber) space. I would feel terribly nervous about playing for you though. A live audience would be orders of magnitude more scary than the red dot. The hesitancy is 1. I feel like I would be deserting my hubby who isn't involved in anyway with ABF; 2. I really don't like to travel that much. Now may be if the gathering were in San Francisco... It's a very nice city to visit, lots of restaurants, good weather, wine country nearby, beautiful Pacific Coast, world famous Golden Gate Bridge, etc, etc. Interested?

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Gosh. And what about the cognitive models we've constructed of eachother. I'm comfortable with my imagery of Tina as a 22 stone body-building javlin thrower - do we really want reality to get in the way of fantasy...?

smile

YD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey, I vote San Francisco too :-)

Yuri
FWIW; YMMV
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This sounds very interesting. My vote goes for the United Kingdom.

And in my twisted face... there's not the slightest trace of anything that even hints at kindness...
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Uh Oh, I can see it already. Location chosen by committee!! wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Hey Hunk since we're talking less then seriously - in today's world, why not a bi-oceanic get-together? You know, video uplinks from a major hotel in both cities (not really that expensive for a group) with big screens at both ends.

Anyone who can make either would be welcome, and maybe an excuse to visit London or Paris or Amsterdam or San Fran or even Omaha or Kansas City, or Montreal or Tronto/Detroit.

Would'nt that be cool, all the North Americans go to Europe and all the Europians come this way?

It does sound like a really fun week-end kinda thing. I would even go to Arizona, especially if in March (spring training for the Mariners).

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'd give it serious thought. If I could afford it I'd definitely come.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by gmm1:

Would'nt that be cool, all the North Americans go to Europe and all the Europians come this way?

).
Yup, sure does. We could all wave to each other from the window seats in our planes! laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by LaValse:
Gosh. And what about the cognitive models we've constructed of eachother. I'm comfortable with my imagery of Tina as a 22 stone body-building javlin thrower - do we really want reality to get in the way of fantasy...?
LOL!!!! eek laugh Oh my gosh, I log in to catch up on the day and this is what awaits me!? LaValse, you're a hoot! And YES - yes, we want reality to get in the way of that fantasy! (Err, unless it works for ya!) Besides, these days I'm more of a 9 stone Q-Tip thrower wink

Seriously though, this is a great idea and sounds like so much fun. I would definitely consider, depending upon location. For me, I'm in the same boat as Rosanna in that although my husband dabbles here and there with piano, he is not involved here and therefore convincing him to take a long trip such as this would present a challenge that would cause me to feel too selfish to press - unless y'all want to hit up some mountain bike trails afterward! But, have I ever mentioned how wonderful and beautiful Virginia is? There's something for EVERYONE here! smile

Tina

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Come to think of it, MrSH's gorgeous adobe <s>mansion</s> house can certainly host us all...?

[Linked Image]
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I was thinking about Isaac Stern Auditorium (2000+ seats) in Carnagie Hall... then we could all fly to MrSH's mansion/house.

[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Rosanna:
Come to think of it, MrSH's gorgeous adobe <s>mansion</s> house can certainly host us all...?
And he has llamas.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission