Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1069956 - 11/25/07 09:49 AM Re: The *Ultimate* ABF event, would you attend?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
 Quote:
Originally posted by -Frycek:
 Quote:
Originally posted by TThomas:
 Quote:
Originally posted by -Frycek:
Sushi [/b]
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rosanna:
Frycek, you are on the food commitee! [/b]
Aww, man! I thought SC's gift to the food world was peach pie?

Tina [/b]
That's one of them. Along with pecan pie, Lady Baltimore Cake, red rice, she crab soup, bbq and cornbread dressing, not to mention hoppin' john, collards, shrimp & grits, and Frogmore stew - - -

(Frogmore is a town - no frogs were harmed in the making of this stew) [/b]
Well... I want some of those collards! Right now!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1069957 - 11/27/07 07:32 PM Re: The *Ultimate* ABF event, would you attend?
IPlay Offline

Loc: Geneva, Illinios
I'm not an active forum member but I am a true adult beginner who enjoys meeting others who have taken up the same challenge. So, I couldn't resist commenting on this thread. I see a very good idea here with little hope of execution as a single, nation wide event. This is an idea that needs to "walk before it runs". Why not try smaller, multiple, regional events - Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, West coast for example. Local universities with music programs sounds like the best idea to me for auditoriums and pianos. Certainly we know piano teachers with connections that could help make these arrangements. If the smaller gatherings go well, there could be momentum for a larger gathering. This idea just needs some regional leadership by a few people with time and energy to pull it together.

I'm interested in this because I think the lack of experience playing in front of others is one of the elements that makes us (maybe keeps us) beginners. I've tried it once and it is a challenging experience for a beginner - at least it was for me - and very different from practice, lessons and even my teacher's recital. This seems like a challenging yet safe environment to gain some of this experience. I would try to attend a Midwest gathering.

#1069958 - 11/27/07 11:30 PM Re: The *Ultimate* ABF event, would you attend?
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
IPlay,

Welcome to the forum!!

Walking before running isn’t a bad idea.
But…
Mr. S-H really has a knack for planting these ever so ingenious seeds.
The more I think about it, the more hyped I become. Although I have to admit, I would probably soil my fruit of the looms in the process.

I personally think 2010 is a conservative goal, 2009 reasonable, 2008 somewhat aggressive. If we do a poll, we should include how far in the future.
But yeah, let’s do this!!

#1069959 - 11/27/07 11:32 PM Re: The *Ultimate* ABF event, would you attend?
Musictuary Offline

Loc: Aurora, Illinois, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by IPlay:
I'm not an active forum member but I am a true adult beginner who enjoys meeting others who have taken up the same challenge. So, I couldn't resist commenting on this thread. I see a very good idea here with little hope of execution as a single, nation wide event. This is an idea that needs to "walk before it runs". Why not try smaller, multiple, regional events - Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, West coast for example. Local universities with music programs sounds like the best idea to me for auditoriums and pianos. Certainly we know piano teachers with connections that could help make these arrangements. If the smaller gatherings go well, there could be momentum for a larger gathering. This idea just needs some regional leadership by a few people with time and energy to pull it together.

I'm interested in this because I think the lack of experience playing in front of others is one of the elements that makes us (maybe keeps us) beginners. I've tried it once and it is a challenging experience for a beginner - at least it was for me - and very different from practice, lessons and even my teacher's recital. This seems like a challenging yet safe environment to gain some of this experience. I would try to attend a Midwest gathering. [/b]
Hello IPlay,

Welcome to the forums.

Actually there have been a couple of smaller gatherings around the USA. These gatherings tend to be informal rather than a more formal event I believe Mr. SH is envisioning. I believe there is one such informal gathering scheduled for this weekend in MA. In fact a couple of us ABFers in the Chicagoland area met this past summer at a forum member's home for an informal get-together taking turns playing for each other. That get-together was quite a boost for all of us in overcoming nervousness playing for others.

We have quite a few members in the Chicagoland area so it looks like we may be overdue for another get-together.

I don't want to detract from what Mr. SH is trying to do. I think it's a great idea and if executed would take us ABFers to the next level in our piano playing. We all would definitely benefit from such an event. Given that ABFers are worldwide, no one location will satisfy everyone. Nevertheless even if I am unable to attend such an event I would like to know that such an event exists that provides a genuine performance opportunity for a real amateur like myself and many other ABFers. However your point is well taken if we tried to expand on Mr SH's idea on a more regional scale within the USA and outside of the USA so that the majority of the ABFers would have greater access to a live performance opportunity.

#1069960 - 11/27/07 11:52 PM Re: The *Ultimate* ABF event, would you attend?
Amy J Offline

Loc: Kansas City, MO
I'm in. I'll bring GOMSB, my DH, and Erica, the lil geek-mini-me. She's been playing for over a year now and she's a hell of a salesman (woman). She'll get our money out of gradeschool children! "Hey, isn't that an ATM by the gym?" Girlscouts never had it so good until she quit.

#1069961 - 11/28/07 08:24 AM Re: The *Ultimate* ABF event, would you attend?
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
 Quote:

Welcome to the forums.

Actually there have been a couple of smaller gatherings around the USA. These gatherings tend to be informal rather than a more formal event I believe Mr. SH is envisioning. I believe there is one such informal gathering scheduled for this weekend in MA. In fact a couple of us ABFers in the Chicagoland area met this past summer at a forum member's home for an informal get-together taking turns playing for each other. That get-together was quite a boost for all of us in overcoming nervousness playing for others. [/b]
You can view threads on a number of piano parties, piano factory tours, etc. here...

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/forum/22.html

This special edition of our newsletter talks about a couple of big upcoming parties and even a repeat of a famous "piano crawl" we had a few years ago in NY
http://www.pianoworld.com/Newsletters/Newsletter_Nov_26_2007.html

We've had PWPF get togethers at a number of piano dealers showrooms, which might be a thought for this project (lots of room and lots of pianos).

Or, if anyone is a member of an organization (K of C, Lions Club, etc.) you may be able to get a deal on a hall, and get a local dealer to supply the piano(s).

For example, there is a party coming up this Saturday (Dec. 1) at Larry Buck's Custom Piano Service shop in Lowell, MA ( http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/22/145.html ).

Larry is providing the space (and he has a lot of it), and Darrell's Music Hall in Nashua, NH http://www.darrellsmusichall.com/index.php is supplying two Schimmel pianos.

Now if you could just get a sponsor to help underwrite the costs, like:
The Piano Manufacturers Association International, or NAMM, or... Anybody know Oprah?
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#1069962 - 11/28/07 08:32 AM Re: The *Ultimate* ABF event, would you attend?
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
 Quote:
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
Copper:

It may be time for one of your famous survey's. Maybe a poll to see who would go, who won't and who's undecided. But then again, like Yuri said, a location must be chosen first.

How about a location poll first. Possibly take the suggested location (minus the aelution islands) as well as a write in category. [/b]
I've turned on the ability to create polls in the ABF, please don't abuse it.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#1069963 - 11/28/07 05:48 PM Re: The *Ultimate* ABF event, would you attend?
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
That's it Frank...a ABF gathering on Oprah's show...Chicago...

HEY OPRAHHHHHH
PTG Associate

#1069964 - 11/28/07 07:46 PM Re: The *Ultimate* ABF event, would you attend?
TThomas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, VA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monster M&H:

HEY OPRAHHHHHH [/b]
Actually, I can see Oprah happily doing a show like this! Just sayin'! And then, in true Oprah style, right before the show is over she announces that she's giving us each a gorgeous grand piano to take home with us!

Tina

#1069965 - 11/28/07 08:00 PM Re: The *Ultimate* ABF event, would you attend?
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
Tina, I like that last part!

#1069966 - 11/28/07 08:22 PM Re: The *Ultimate* ABF event, would you attend?
IPlay Offline

Loc: Geneva, Illinios
Thanks for the welcoming replys. Please don't misunderstand my opinion of the original idea. I think it is a wonderful idea. I love the idea. It just seemed to me like I read 4 pages of messages that really didn't move the idea forward. I don't have the time to make it happen so I'm not being critical. I was just suggesting a smaller event that might not be as difficult to pull off.

I'll keep watching for something happening in the Chicago area (formal or informal) or if someone is organizing something specifically in this area please let me know. Thanks

#1069967 - 11/28/07 09:58 PM Re: The *Ultimate* ABF event, would you attend?
Musictuary Offline

Loc: Aurora, Illinois, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by TThomas:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monster M&H:

HEY OPRAHHHHHH [/b]
Actually, I can see Oprah happily doing a show like this! Just sayin'! And then, in true Oprah style, right before the show is over she announces that she's giving us each a gorgeous grand piano to take home with us!

Tina [/b]
Let's hope Oprah gives us each the money to pay the taxes on the grand piano.

#1069968 - 11/28/07 11:20 PM Re: The *Ultimate* ABF event, would you attend?
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
IPlay, it seems like it happens often around on the ABF threads that ideas don't get moved forward after many posts!! We seem to like to digress and be silly - for better or for worse! Hope you don't mind joining this nuthouse group \:D

#1069969 - 11/29/07 05:06 AM Re: The *Ultimate* ABF event, would you attend?
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rosanna:
it seems like it happens often around on the ABF threads that ideas don't get moved forward after many posts!![/b]
Oh? \:\)

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/5421/1.html

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
99 registered (AZNpiano, Anticlock, Almaviva, 31 invisible), 897 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76011 Members
42 Forums
157172 Topics
2308406 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
EDTA solution to clean pedals, handles, etc
by Olek
08/31/14 01:34 AM
AMusA exam questions
by Badinage
08/31/14 01:24 AM
ES7 - Gig Bag or Hard Case
by gbitw
08/30/14 11:07 PM
special gloves to reinforce good hand position
by Will1
08/30/14 09:10 PM
Frederick Historical Concert Season - Fall 2014
by Terrytunes
08/30/14 08:44 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission