Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1069976 - 01/16/09 04:59 AM Learning just where to panic
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Sometimes it seems like what I'm accidentally doing is teaching myself to panic at certain ritualized places in the score. Not coincidentally, these are the more complicated or awkward places, the places where I make mistakes. But what they sprout into are ritualized places to panic: thinking "Ack, here's the place I always screw up!" leading to adrenaline and sudden mental blankness (no idea what comes next, the notes on the staff stop making sense -> abrupt stop or random note).

I believe that what I am witnessing here is the act of "learning my mistake."

Suggestions?

neglected piano blog

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1069977 - 01/16/09 06:12 AM Re: Learning just where to panic
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Cambridgeshire, UK
Sounds more like Red dot phobia to me. You know that feeling where your playing ability and your panic threshold drops several notches whenever you try and record yourself?

I think it boils down to caring too much about your playing, as though world peace depended on it or something! If you can get your head into a place where you try your best but if you do play a bum note what the hell! Next time you might get it right but if you don't no one is going to contract an incurable disease right?

If you can think like that I think you'll enjoy your playing more and probably make fewer mistakes!

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1069978 - 01/16/09 07:55 AM Re: Learning just where to panic
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Tangleweeds,

You might want to find a copy of "The Inner Game Of Music." Another book that might be useful is "The Perfect Wrong Note." Both are books that I think every pianist needs to read.

Rich

#1069979 - 01/16/09 08:30 AM Re: Learning just where to panic
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
Tangleweeds, a teacher once listened to me play and could tell right when I was tensing up, fearing the mistake that I consistently made. He had me stop and play the note that was often the mistake, then play the one before it. I went back and forth between these two until it was very comfortable. Then he had me back up a few notes; if I hesitated at the problem spot, we went back to the two note practice, then backed up again. Now I can recognize those spots myself--places where I begin to panic because "I never land on the right note in this jump" or other problem thoughts. Once I practiced in this specific way, I felt confident that it was going to be right, and I lost the panicky feeling.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#1069980 - 01/16/09 10:01 AM Re: Learning just where to panic
Opus45 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
All good advice tangleweeds,

This helps me: I've learned to practice those very sections that give me problems independently of the rest of the piece. For example, if I find a section is particularly tricky or problematic for me, then I'll often practice only that very section (and perhaps part of the section preceeding it), instead of always practicing the piece by playing the entire composition. Then after I've done this a while (days, weeks, whatever) I'll put them together again and the speed bump usually resolves itself.

#1069981 - 01/16/09 10:08 AM Re: Learning just where to panic
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
 Quote:
Originally posted by DragonPianoPlayer:
Tangleweeds,

You might want to find a copy of "The Inner Game Of Music." Rich [/b]
I second that recommendation.

Also, If there are particular places that give you trouble or you think might be difficult, tackle them first, play them until they are easy and then play the whole song and when you get to that part you will already know you can do it. \:\)

#1069982 - 01/16/09 10:51 AM Re: Learning just where to panic
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I had a boogie=woogie piece that one particular section always caused fear.

So I super-practiced it, dissecting it to find all the trouble spots, did technique exercises to address the problem areas, etc, in short, did everything necessary to make it work.

The process took a few months, but what it did was turn that section of the music into one of the easiest parts to play, so much so that I looked forward to both playing the piece, and to playing that section.

But I still found myself tensing up....so the final step was to consciously change my emotional reaction to the piece, and to the section.

I did that by first starting with an affirmation that I love the piece and can play it well, and took a couple of deep breaths prior to starting.

Also, as I approached that former trouble spot, I consciously took another deep breath, and relaxed my shoulders.

This became so ingrained that now, when I play it, I automatically take a deep breath and relax as that part of the music approaches.

What I learned from that is that the anxiety response of playing something can be "practiced out", not only by practicing the piece, but by practicing a change in the emotion response

#1069983 - 01/16/09 09:39 PM Re: Learning just where to panic
foxyw Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Playing the piece "backwards" has helped me. My teacher recommends breaking the piece into sections and then work backwards through it. Play the last section of a piece until your comfortable with it. Then play the second last and the last in sequence, and so on through the piece until you are comfortable playing the whole piece. It gets you to play the last parts of the piece many times. I have been working on a piece called "Aragonaise" and the last page of the piece is very challenging for me. Backwards practice has helped me gain confidence in this section and to be able to, at this point, get through it although it still needs lots of work.

#1069984 - 01/16/09 11:07 PM Re: Learning just where to panic
Arabesque Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Japan
I find that even after you have played a piece one thousand times these little bumps come up. Because, the information was not fully processed or is conflicting leading to insecurity. You then play through whole piece and when you come off you train your brain to repeat the mistake.

Based on my own experiences and studies with Chopin etudes, I'd first play through the trouble spot as suggested above and isolate each finger. It is important to feel comfortable on each digit. Then play the sequence of the passage at a tempo slow enough for you to feel comfortable. Playing these fragments at tempo is very important and avoid jarrs or breaks during a repetition. Practice that seven to ten times and each time think of your body response. Start with the feeling in your shoulders. Is it tense there? Sense your back, shoulders, arms and wrists and body whole. Repeat the passage and at the same time look in different places: at your hands, at the score, at the ceiling, closing your eyes. If you still feel tense go back to the beginning and start again.

Finally at the same metronome tempo play the two leading bars before the problem area and the two succeeding bars. Do this for another seven to ten times.

Play the whole passage through at the same tempo including the parts you play well. This will serve to integrate the adjustments you have practiced into the whole. And again play this for at least seven times. Then take a break and stretch or rest. You have just reprogrammed your brain with new data. Next day you start again where you left off and notch up the tempo carefully by degrees until you are "walking" the piece. You then work on that tempo for as long as it takes until you feel integrated and in control as well as relaxed.

This will take as long as it takes to overwrite the previous errant patterns you have learned. But if you experience a feeling of comfort and enjoyment during your "walking" phase you will accelerate the process. Following the positive mental programming approach with absolute certainty, you will be able to play solidly and error free and with total relaxation.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
93 registered (AndrewJCW, ando, Andy001, aesop, AZNpiano, AEMontoya, 19 invisible), 882 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75969 Members
42 Forums
157105 Topics
2307280 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
An update on Ethan Hawke's docu about Seymour Bernstein
by music32
40 minutes 18 seconds ago
Tuning the 7th octave
by AaronM
Today at 01:29 AM
Some Swan Lake
by harpon
Today at 12:53 AM
What makes a piano sound honky-tonk?
by harpon
Today at 12:31 AM
Casio Px 110 vs 150 for Pianoteq + action
by Dwscamel
Today at 12:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission