Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1070003 - 11/30/04 12:24 PM Piano Stories - How you started, where you've gotten
Rafi Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
I'm curious to hear other people's stories about how you started playing piano, what stages of development have you reached, how you've shared your piano playing with others, and what kinds of possibilities you see available for pianists.

I've been playing 'in a vacuum,' and would like to hear about what opportunities others have found and made use of.

I took 3 lessons in 1981 [I was 26], played for about 7 years, stopped for almost 13 years, and have been playing again now for about 2. [I'm very self motivated.]

During the 13 year break, I learned to write fluently with my right hand, and learned to read, speak and write Hebrew. I am sure that these learning experiences opened new neural pathways, because when I finally got another piano, I found myself playing things I had once struggled with with a new ease.

I play a smattering of things: Bach short preludes and fugues, pieces from Anna Magdelena Bach's Little Notebook, some Handel, Beethoven variations - first movements of a couple sonatas - 11 Bagatelles, some Chopin nocturnes & waltzes, some Granados' Spanish Dances, a Brahms intermezzo, Grieg's Holberg Suite, the Katchaturian Toccata, Mozart's 1st sonata - others -

I've realized that I've developed what I call an "inner map" of the keyboard - so that when I see notes on the page, somehow I visualize the keys in my head and my hand knows what the interval is... I find I can now make those instantaneous estimations of where a particular key is by knowing where another one is - hard to explain...

Though I make occasional mistakes, the few times I've played where people were listening, they were happy with what they heard - so I'm trying to figure out a way to 'play out' more - I have no illusions about getting rich or famous, but I'd like to share the beauty of the music with people who can appreciate it.... I visualize playing in the background in some hotel lobby or garden -

I'd like to hear from other self taught amateurs, as well as people who were formally trained. I know there's a lot out there I'm missing...

Ideas? Stories?

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1070004 - 11/30/04 12:37 PM Re: Piano Stories - How you started, where you've gotten
jdsher Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Plano, Texas
Welcome to the forum Rafi and a great first post. I agree with you that constant learning is important. The old saying is true in my mind, "if you don't use it, you lose it."
I started a year ago September when my then 4 year-old son began taking keyboard lessons at school. I found out that his keyboard instructor also taught adults so I called up and began taking lessons. I am no where near as accomplished as you are Rafi, but I've come a lot farther than I thought. I can sight read from my first instructional book pretty much at the correct tempo. I can play some grade 4 pieces with practice. I am learning how to do trills in the Scarlatti piece that many of us are currently learning. I look forward to practicing every day and when I am out of town I try to find a dealership or a hotel piano to play on. I guess you could say I'm hooked.
Look forward to more interesting answers to a great question.
Jon

#1070005 - 11/30/04 01:06 PM Re: Piano Stories - How you started, where you've gotten
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Shalom, Rafi. Mah shlomcha? Now that you can write with your right hand, you have to learn to read Hebrew from left to right. ;\)

My boring story is as follows: One year of piano in third grade, clarinet fourth through eleventh, drums twelfth through college and a few years after, then a five-or-so-year break, then another year of piano, then another break (like six years), then about six months of guitar lessons, and then back to piano lessons starting this past September.

If I could have stuck with one instrument, I'd probably be fairly proficient in it by now, but instead, I guess I'm a little less than halfway through one of the methods (Faber). Also, a couple years ago I bought a couple "how to" books that showed me how to play left hand chords (just from the chord name) while playing right hand melody. It works fairly well for standard, pop songs.

Hopefully, I'll be with the piano for a long time to come. I'm really enjoying getting back into it. Like you, I'd like to eventually play piano rooms or be an accompanist in coffee houses or some such informal thing, but I have a long way to go.

#1070006 - 12/01/04 10:55 PM Re: Piano Stories - How you started, where you've gotten
Jac Ang Offline

Loc: Singapore
To be a excellent performer at least to entertain myself is my initial goal when i started piano.Nevertheless i also thinking of retirement if i am at the age of 60 plus when i can coach the little ones to music.

As many have say,to be a concert pianist,it may be sightly too late for the dream for pursing.

But i am only 27..you know you got to start somewhere,why shall we leave to regrets by always stating we have no time,no money,no inspiration.

Believing in whatever you think it is suitable for you.In the past,i always doubt my ability,my persistent,my patience.

In a society like Singapore,it is a tough choice to learn something without any future economic benefits.I was once discouraged by a lot of my friends even i keep my mum in the dark when i first started piano.

However,recently my mum keep asking me about my piano,wondering if i have been practicing hard for my coming exam next year.This is something i have never expect.

The conclusion is that when the surrounded people have seen your determination and spirit,they would either says words of encourage to keep you going.

I must say it is the culture difference that have hinder my decision of picking up the instrument.

Hence,i only start the instrument at the age of 26.---->>too old ....

P/S:It is always not too old for anything,if you have given up the learning journey,you are only waiting to be closed.The closure of your heart,your mind,you senses.........kill the men spiritually!!!!!!!!!!

#1070007 - 12/02/04 03:20 AM Re: Piano Stories - How you started, where you've gotten
Cryptkeeper Offline

Loc: Belgium
Great stories!

For me, it began about 13 years ago. I was 12 then and I had gotten a small keyboard. I couldn't play anything on it though.
I didn't use the keyboard that much and it just gathered dust untill about 2,5 years ago.
By chance I found the keyboard again and descided to learn to read notes.

After about a year learning (using the internet) I bought a larger keyboard.
After about another year playing on that keyboard I bought a digital piano. That was may this year.
I don't know anybody that plays music and I had many questions so I descided to take some lessons.

I'm now taking lessons since july this year.
I had to unlearn some stuff but now I'm making good progress. My sightreading skills are not that good but they have improved alot if I compare it with my skills before the lessons.

My goal is to be able to play intermediate piece without much trouble. I hope I will someday be able to do this...

#1070008 - 12/02/04 01:22 PM Re: Piano Stories - How you started, where you've gotten
james_cc Offline

Loc: Chino Hills, CA
I got my piano start 3-4 years ago while attending my daughters' group lessons at Yamaha. I have been playing on and off for 1 year or so son Chopin, Scott Joplin, Beethoven popular pieces but not quite good still need a lot of work.

I played guitar, vocal, and had join a few bands during HS year actually over in Thailand. So I guess I have good musical background but no formal education as far as note reading.

My goals to keep learning new things, improve sight reading, and complete most of my (difficult) pieces at least to my level(Fur Elise, Entertainer, Chopin Nocture 9 2) while learning other easier pieces of Bach and others. When I can impress myself, I would like to play at karaoke parties for my friends and relatives. How knows in years if I keep up, I might be able to play in public engagement.

#1070009 - 12/02/04 08:41 PM Re: Piano Stories - How you started, where you've gotten
WCSMinorCircuit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Let's see, I started piano when I was around seven (I'm sixteen now). I started out with no ambition and no drive for about two years. Until my piano teacher told me that I might as well just quit, because I wasn't getting any progress done. This got to me so much that I practiced about three hours a day (alot for a nine year old) until I came back to show him how much I progressed. He was impressed with me and I stayed on a nice steady pace for a while.

Then when I was about thirteen I started getting very interested in classical music, so I tried to learn as much as I could. My whole life was centered around Mozart, Bach, Chopin, Beethoven, and whoever else. That lasted for a while until other things popped up and I began practicing maybe two or three hours a month.

I was still improving though, surprising people at my recitals by doing pieces that certain kids did (who had been playing MUCH longer than I had) crashed and burned on. But I had no ambition. Which is what my teacher said "You have the most talent of all my students, but the least ambition". I eventually joined a traveling piano/vocal group that my teacher had organized with some of his top students. I was a joker the whole time I was in it. Very un-professional during performances but still very flashy and technically correct. People would tell my teacher that I was very expressive when I played. But I had no desire to play the piano anymore.

My teacher left at the end of my freshman year in high school. I wish I had left him with a good feeling about me, but that year was one of my least practicing ever. It just wasn't at the top of my list anymore. I would skip lessons with him and not do anything he asked. It is one of my biggest regrets of not having practiced that year because I had so much to learn.

In my sophomore year I ended up not playing at all. Until my choir director wanted me to help accompany the choir. I then would skip choir practices just because I didn't like to sight read or practice (two things I always had to do while playing the piano in choir). But eventually, my friends persuaded me to ask the director to let me join the choral. He said only if I don't skip choir practices anymore and play the piano. I practiced what he told me to and eventually became the only pianist he could rely upon. I eventually learned alot about theory from this, how to accompany a choir, how to accompany a singer, how to sight read for piano and vocally, and much more. I impressed all the music department by learning in one night a choir piece that all the other accompanists had trouble learning and being able to play it the next day at a concert.

When the school year ended and choir and choral were out for the summer, I started practicing all the time. I made a list and my practices were very structured. Piano was now becoming more involved. And then I went to a meeting in the Bay Area and I saw two very good pianists. One was very excellent at sight reading and very technical, and could play both jazz and classical. The other was younger than me by a bit and could play classical extremely well. I had a goal that by next year I will show them up. I got a very competitive vibe to not let people get better than me. So I went home, and did eight and sometimes ten hour a day practices.

When the school year began this year (my junior year) I was already acknowledged as the best student pianist on campus. I became the only accompanist for choir and choral, as well as a dependable accompanist and the improv pianist for the band.

But one of the best things this year that has happened to me is achieving something my mother told me would show how good a piano player I am. She said if I could open it up and play any piece perfectly then I have finally crossed the boundary. She knew that sight reading was not my forte and she thought that this would be a good test someday (she said this when I first started). But alas, not too long ago I had to play at a concert and the children's choir accompanist couldn't come, so the director asked me to play the song. And I did it perfectly for the first time in front of a crowd of people. This impressed many people, including my conductor. And so this shows that I still have it in me to really give piano my all.

I no more want to go and show up those piano players I saw this summer. There's no point. The real award is playing the piano and knowing that I can play something at a level that people acknowledge and respect.

#1070010 - 12/02/04 09:02 PM Re: Piano Stories - How you started, where you've gotten
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
it started long longátime ago, when i was little, although i never had a chance to play a piano since for another long time. i remember that every time after school i'd pass a neighbors's window and heard someone playing piano inside most of time. i did envy that, but only few families could even afford a piano then. later, with some regular trips to a department store where music store section had some upright piano on display (which cost tremendous money then), so i said to my brother that when i grew up i'd buy a piano.

i didn't buy a piano at first when i grew up though, but had a small accordion to play for a while. much later i got a keyboard and didn't even touch it much until much later again almost 4 years ago, when i finally got serious and determined to learn to play it... so, here i am and it's not much of a story.

#1070011 - 12/02/04 10:54 PM Re: Piano Stories - How you started, where you've gotten
tk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles County
Thanks, Rafi, for beginning this thread, which has been fun and interesting to read. And, welcome.

Here's my story: I first started lessons at the age of 8. I took them for just over 3 years. Then we moved, so I had about a year break. Found another teacher. Studied with her for about a year, then SHE moved. Found another teacher. Took lessons with her for about a year, then WE moved again... Another almost year long break. Found another teacher. Took lessons with her for about a year, the she retired... Found another teacher... After about a year and a half, became a senior in high school with more *interesting* things to do (and wanted long fingernails!) and finally quit! So, I ended up with approximately 8 years of lessons total with 5 different teachers. WHEW! That's it for the early years!

About 13 years elapsed before taking up lessons again, which I started this past spring. Though I have started lessons again, they are pretty sporadic. I usually have one a month. And, I do not practice nearly as much as I should to really make progress. I might get 3-5 hours in a week.

I don't know at what stage of development I would be considered. None of the 5 teachers I had as a kid/teen ever talked about the ABRSM or RCM grades. I recently "finished" Chopin Nocturne in e-flat (op. 9, no. 2) and an arrangement of Rach's 18th variation. I am currently working on Beethoven's Pathetique.

Signa[/b]: Accordion? That is very cool! It always looks like it would be so fun--albeit cumbersome--to play. Do you still play?

#1070012 - 12/03/04 08:47 PM Re: Piano Stories - How you started, where you've gotten
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
 Quote:
Signa: Accordion? That is very cool! It always looks like it would be so fun--albeit cumbersome--to play. Do you still play?
no, haven't played it for many years and when i visited my mother earlier this year, she took the accordion box out which made me realize it's still there in the closet. so, we cleaned it up and gave it to my niece.

yes, i once thought it was cool as well when i listened to my brother play some very popular accordion pieces then. so, i got a smaller one as well to play. i never did play any better than my brother though, because he took lessons from a teacher and i was only playing it for fun. but it did help me to learn some music.

#1070013 - 12/04/04 07:51 AM Re: Piano Stories - How you started, where you've gotten
jdsher Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Plano, Texas
Joseph: what a great story. I'm surprised to find you hanging out with us beginners, you most certainly belong over in the gifted and talented pianist forum. I have a question for you though. Are you going to study music in college? If so, what are you doing to prepare for that eventuality?
Sorry for the off topic question Rafi.
Jon

#1070014 - 12/04/04 10:12 AM Re: Piano Stories - How you started, where you've gotten
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
Amazing story Joseph. You're maturing very quickly. Good luck with your studies and I hope you keep with it through the tumultuous early adult years ahead.

I've always enjoyed piano music. Unfortunately, having come from a very low middle class family with little disposable income, and a 20 year career in the Navy with a move every couple of years, I never had the opportunity to learn. It was always one of those things that I'd "get around to" one of these days.

Strangely, both of my parents learned an instrument in high school. My father learned trumpet and even played in a city park band while my mother learned the accordian. The reason I say strangely is because neither one played in the house nor insisted that any of their five children pick an instrument. I haven't asked them yet, but I'm guessing that they were forced as children and had decided that they weren't going to force their children to do that.

Anyway, about a year ago, I was plunking on some keys at my brother-in-law's house when he asked me if I played. I replied that I didn't but that I had always wanted to. He quickly came back with, "well you're not getting any younger". Since I was 43, and I wasn't going to see 42 again, that statement got me motivated.

I wasn't sure that I could handle the coordination between two hands, so I bought a Yamaha DGX-500 88-key keyboard at the local Costco just to dip my toes into the water. Then I picked up a couple absolute beginner books to learn where middle-C was located and what the keys on the keyboard represented. About a week or so later I hooked up with a teacher who started me on the Alfred's Adult method course.

Thanks to this forum, Chang's e-book, other books I bought, lots of practice, and guidance from my teacher, I made pretty good progress. In fact, my teacher was very impressed with my progress. None of his other students put in the practice necessary to achieve more than slow advancement.

Then about a month and a half ago I found Bernhard's posts over on pianoforum.net and my training jumped to a completely new, higher level. If Bernhard wrote a book, I think he would revoutionize the piano pedagogical system. I've gained insight from nearly every one of his posts.

#1070015 - 12/04/04 12:17 PM Re: Piano Stories - How you started, where you've gotten
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
My neighbor gave piano lessons and I took them weekly from age 8 to 10. I must have been very good because I won a city wide contest and got to play at the symphony hall. My teacher moved and my mom decided I should take organ lessons instead. I used to walk on Tuesdays to this church (almost 2 miles) to take lessons from this ancient nun. Maybe I wasn't holy or maybe I just didn't like the organ.... I just didn't care for them.

When I was 12 I was pulled out of class one day to play the organ for a funeral. I had 30 minutes to practice and thus began my organ career. I quickly became the organist of my church and was paid 15 dollars a week to play to Masses....(and a Christmas gift). I never played the piano except to practice for church and quit keyboards of any type to learn the guitar to play for a Catholic guitar group.

When I was in college I met a darling boy who had just won the chance to play a concerto with the Chicago symphony. I got a free ticket, fell in love and started playing the piano so we could play duets together - (Beethoven symphonies for 4 hands). I started learning classical repertoire on my own.. Beethoven sonatas, Malaguena, Bach fugues, Scriabin, Katchaturian, Prokofieff. I hadn't brought any music to school so I learned what my boyfriend was learning.

5 years later I was a chef, and sorely missing any intellectual challenges and in love with a man who loved me not. I bought a piano and learned some Chopin Nocturnes to drown my sorrows. I read a biography of Chopin and in it, it said that he wrote the Etudes as teaching pieces so I decided that learning them would be the way I could become a concert pianist. I really thought I could do it and would practice sometimes 8 hours a day... I was horrible but didn't know it.

I ran an ad in the paper offering free piano playing at parties and got quite a few offers, was always paid generously and so my delusions continued.

Then I became an artist and abandoned piano for the most part.

I started playing for church services again about 10 years ago, sold my old Steinway upright and bought a used Grand. I had 3 children and now... am playing as much as I can... I just adore playing. I imagine quite graphically, taking lessons from the Chopin or Bach as I learn their music. There would be punishments in my musings (play the left hand 20 times, slowly) and everything.

Now Brendan is my teacher... I bought an Estonia and am resigned to just being one of those who play for pleasure... and pleasure indeed, it is.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1070016 - 12/04/04 01:41 PM Re: Piano Stories - How you started, where you've gotten
Vintagefingers Offline

Loc: SE
Great thread Rafi! Joseph you certainly inspired me and I'm sure many reading this thread. Your story is quite compelling. As a matter of fact a few month back I was listening to "From the Top" on NPR and one of the featured pianists could well have been you right down to the disinterest to development into an inspired artist. Keep up the good work. I expect with your intrinsic gifts and total dedication, your potential is unlimited.

My great Aunt and Uncle had an old upright and used to play for us as kids. Uncle Rudy would pound out List's Hungarian Rhapsody #2 and it was always at the top of my requests. He didn't practice much at that time but I can imagine at one point he was probably quite good. Aunt Hilda was more subdued and decidely less the risk taker, it had to be perfect or she wouldn't play. My Dad was an amateur singer, solist in the church choir and local amateur shows. He also sung at our family get togethers. A Tenor modeled after John McCormick the great Irish tenor from the early part of the 20th Century and a contemporary of Caruso.There was always music in the house growing up. Dad would sing to us younguns before bedtime.

In 5th grade I took up clarinet and played through HS and early college along with alto and tenor sax and a little flute. I did well but never really dedicated myself to it. It is not a solo instrument so practicing was never fun, I only enjoyed when playing in the Band and Orchestra. In Jr HS I was in a jazz group. HS years were the worst. I went to a private Parochial school and the band was just getting started. The program was very poor and my interest waned. The autocratic Principal would hear nothing of me "quitting" the band and his word was always final. Either play in the band or your off the basketball team \:\(

Ah the piano..I've always loved it. The feel of a beautiful lacquer finish, the touch of the keys, the sound. It is the only instrument I truly wanted to play as a kid but wasn't as vocal as I should have been. I could never walk past someone playing. For my entire life this instrument has held a deep fascination to me. I would sit down and just wish I could play! Chopsticks, Heart and Soul, what else can you play with one hand? I would pick out tunes any time the opportunity presented itself and always envied anyone that could play. Isn't that crazy, going through life and not pursuing something other than for the fact you either "don't have the time" or talent or a piano. Oh well, enough of that sorry tale!

About a year and a half ago my wife started taking lessons. She is also a singer. We acquired a piano, an old Kimball console from friends that were moving. They had an unmotivated 9 year old and decided it was time to get rid of it as it needed work. After about 6 months of weekly classes my wife came home and informed me she signed yours truly up for lessons. I had a good laugh to which she replied, I'm serious, you start Tuesday. I went on about how busy I was at work, didn't have the time, too old to learn, the usual suspects. I finally relented and agreed to go. First lesson, I learned simple C major fingering which I practiced diligently all week. Started going through the book, Bastien for 'Older Beginners'. My music reading skills were still there, how bout that? I practiced some of the simple chords and to my bigger suprise, I was playing 2 hands by my second lesson The teacher seemed delighted. Just what I needed, a shot of inspiration. I was hooked and have been since, about 11 months now. I was initially practicing 3-4 hours a day, getting up an hour or two early in the morning to practice. I even rearranged my work schedule to play longer in the morning as I find it the best time, few interruptions.

The Kimball is holding back my "expression" it just isn't a very good instrument and needs more work than it's worth. I located an old '26 Chickering Grand a few months back as I was favorably impressed by one a local rebuilder has along with a Steinway L and a MH. It is being rebuilt and will be ready in January. I feel like a kid again waiting for Christmas to come, counting the days and dreaming of having a wonderful instrument that I expect will give me years of pleasure. Music? Oh my, that is the problem, I love music, ALL music, classical, jazz, rag, pop and Brazilian and Latin rhythums. I hope to play well enough at some point to play requests, don't we all? It will take a lot of study in theory but I figure I've got plenty of time as there's no better time than the present, no laments, no regrets. This place is a really nice hangout, folks of all walks with one common love. I've learned a lot in the past 2 months since I discovered it, Thanks Everyone!

Will

#1070017 - 12/05/04 02:52 PM Re: Piano Stories - How you started, where you've gotten
WCSMinorCircuit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
jdsher: Actually, I am planning to pursue music in college. My school has a good music program and many people get music scholarships. So I'm hoping that next year when I graduate I get one, but even if I didn't, my parent's would still pay to see me succeed. Be it piano, dentistry, or underwater basket weaving.

god bless parents. \:D

And by the way, I still consider myself a beginner. Which is why I frequent this forum. Also, I think I can give some information that people would like.

#1070018 - 12/05/04 03:16 PM Re: Piano Stories - How you started, where you've gotten
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Salt Lake City
True story: My kindergarten teacher noticed that I had terrible hand-eye coordination. I couldn't use scissors very well, couldn't tie my shoelaces, etc. Though that taking up a musical instrument would improve that. Ironically, I only learned how to tie my shoelaces when I was 12. :rolleyes:

koji (STSD)

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/

#1070019 - 12/07/04 09:30 AM Re: Piano Stories - How you started, where you've gotten
Rafi Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Jon -
I'd like to figure out how to study piano in college, but I've always been too busy working to pay the bills. How do people manage to practice 8 hours a day - I need the time!

Also, I want to mention classical music. My first and only teacher [so far] started me with simple classics, that were both accessible and had the beautiful classical sounds that got me hooked. I was marginally into classical music before, but just being able to sit at the keyboard and make those chords, even if clumsily, is what kept me interested.

I'm glad people like this thread. I'm getting ideas and inspirations already...

#1070020 - 12/08/04 07:36 PM Re: Piano Stories - How you started, where you've gotten
BlingBling Offline

Loc: NJ
Great stories... I especially liked Signa's.

My mom forced me to take piano lessons when I was 5. I hated to practice and my mom & teacher gave me lots of pressure to pass the pieces in two to three lessons to move on to the next piece. I was punished if I didn't. I just hated it and always asked my mom if I can quit piano and she would say NO. Then when I was 11, we decided to move to U.S. so we sold our piano. I was happy not having to worry about the practice/lessons. But on the day the dealer came to take away piano, I felt sad for some reason. As I watched the movers move away my piano from the apartment, I realized that I loved my piano. I didn't want them to take it away from me - but it was too late. I was surprised at myself for the great emptiness I felt in my heart when all of the sudden, the piano was gone and the living room seemed so large.

After I moved to U.S., I was busy trying to learn everthing - language, culture, studies, etc. that I didn't start the lesson until I was 16. But that only lasted two years since I went to college - far away from home.

When I graduated and started working, playing piano didn't really cross my mind since I had other priorities.

Then one day, I watched a drama about a struggling pianist and it inspired me. I decided to take some lessons again (only for three months since I traveled 50%) - that was three years ago and I'm still playing. It was one of the best decision I've made and I'm so glad I found my lost passion for the piano again.

And I'm very happy to share this with you all. I never told this story to anyone, not even my mother (who is happy that I'm playing again!)

I'm so glad I found this forum, you guys are great!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
168 registered (36251, accordeur, A Guy, 43 invisible), 1757 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74215 Members
42 Forums
153523 Topics
2249795 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
Today at 10:50 AM
Piano Composition + a Drawing
by leandrobrunapiano
Today at 10:50 AM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
Today at 09:37 AM
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
Today at 09:10 AM
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
Today at 09:07 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission