Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 127 of 196 < 1 2 ... 125 126 127 128 129 ... 195 196 >
Topic Options
#1450288 - 06/04/10 04:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GracieCat]
sorenlorensen Offline

Loc: Scotland, UK
Originally Posted By: GracieCat
Here's my quick attempt at Good People. I'll redo it next week. I'm loving my recorder!

http://www.box.net/shared/euafrpb8ev

Fantastic! Thanks so much for that - it really helps hearing how it *should* sound wink

My version, er, well, doesn't sound *exactly* like that wink

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1450317 - 06/04/10 05:30 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GustavoF]
Captain Zero Offline

Loc: Mulberry, Florida
Good People was very difficult for me too. I spent either 3 or 4 weeks on it, before I got it smooth. Good People, Beautiful Brown Eyes and the Lullaby are the three that gave me most difficulty in the entire book. Mostly because I cannot count. I see a whole note and take it as a challenge to play it in 3 beats. Those three pieces require tempo discipline and counting. What comes after 3? Maybe that is why I love 3/4 - that is as high as I can count. Good People is really a sort of demonstartion piece. It is meant to show a certain skill or technique and is not so much meant to be musical or lyrical. In my opinion anyway. So I never warmed up to Good People, even though I stuck with it and managed to get it in the end.

#1450340 - 06/04/10 06:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GustavoF]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I got VERY stuck on Good People, considered skipping it, I think I did skip it for a while and did one or two of the next ones, but I eventually came back to it. I can't tell you how long I struggled with it. I got it to where I could play it without a mistake, but I never got it to sound really good.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1450360 - 06/04/10 06:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
Doug F Offline

Loc: Victor, NY
I had a bunch of trouble with Good People too. I had trouble with the right hand descending scale and some rhythm problems. For what it's worth it's not even in the Self Teaching Alfred's All In One Book. But if you stick with it eventually you'll get it and it's kind of fun to play.

I have a great memory, it's just short.

#1450371 - 06/04/10 07:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Doug F]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Graciecat! That was awesome!!!! It was smokin' smokin
What sort of a recorder did you purchase? Is it easy to use?

#1450935 - 06/05/10 04:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GlassLove]
sorenlorensen Offline

Loc: Scotland, UK
A bit of progress tonight - thanks in no small part to Graciecat's recording wink

Managed to get through the whole thing without a mistake, although at nowhere near tempo. Still it's a start. There are some weird timings in it, eh?

#1450971 - 06/05/10 06:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: sorenlorensen]
Doug F Offline

Had a good lesson today. Got passed on Chiapanecas, and Auld Lang Syne. Have a bit more work to do on O Sole Mio!, but it's close. I was playing the Bb chord wrong. I pointed out that it's also the melody to It's Now Or Never, Elvis' biggest hit. My teacher was not aware of it. It's kind of ironic that Elvis also did Jericho, the next piece in the book. I am a fan of Elvis and it makes playing these pieces more interesting knowing they have more to them than just what's in the book.

GracieCat, nice job on the recordings. I record myself to hear what I sound like and I'm not ready to put them out there for the rest of the world to hear.

My teacher is having a showcase (recital) for his younger students tomorrow. He invited me to come and listen and I plan to do so if my schedule allows.

#1451227 - 06/06/10 04:41 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GracieCat]
Pianosaurus Rex Offline

Originally Posted By: GracieCat
For me, learning to play the piano is like sitting in the car with someone learning to drive using a clutch. jerk...jerk...stall...jerk...jerk...stall...stall...jerk start moving...shift into second...grind the clutch some...grind the clutch some more...pretty soon you're going down the street. Then you end up getting stopped on a hill and it starts all over again...jerk...jerk...stall etc. smile

Gosh, thanks for the motivation, I just started my driving lessons this week! ha

Anyway, I had been pretty ill this week and didn't manage to get a lot of practise, no Alfred's at all, just some scales and simple exercises.
There was no way I'd be able to concentrate on learning new material!

Well, I´m going to start on beautiful brown eyes now, which I had hoped to finish on Thursday.
Probably would´ve succeeded in that too, if it wasn´t for the major headaches and dizziness. smirk

Student/apprentice technician

#1451389 - 06/06/10 01:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Pianosaurus Rex]
asc Offline

Hello all. I have just started playing the piano again after a 20 year gap. I was just about to start Jericho, but after some of the previous posts, I think that I will go back and try to polish the previous songs a little more and try to understand technique better instead of just playing the notes. smile I think that I have been trying to rush through this book to get back to the level where I used to play. (I am a long, long way from that!) Besides, my six year old daughter likes to dance to The Can Can and Chiapanecas. smile

#1451827 - 06/07/10 10:39 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Doug F]
nancymae Offline

Loc: NE Wisconsin
What Elvis song is Jericho??? I must be playing it all wrong. Thanks for the tip on the Ole Sole Mio...now I can't get it out of my head (The Elvis song, that is).

I had no idea before Alfred that Love Me Tender was an old song he took the melody from...very interesting!

Thanks for the history lesson!
Finished Alfred Book 1-August 2010
Started Book 2--August 11, 2010
Alfred Favorites Book

#1451830 - 06/07/10 10:45 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nancymae]
nancymae Offline

Gracie Cat--

YOUR RENDITIONS ARE WONDERFUL!!!!! I WANT YOU TO GIVE ME LESSONS!!! Back to the drawing (or playing board as it were!)

Also, I would love to know what type of recording device you got too! It's awesome!

Thank you so much for recording for us!
Alfred Favorites Book

#1451834 - 06/07/10 10:49 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nancymae]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOKSKii4PX0

Hi Nancymae,
I don't know how to embed video crazy but if you paste this link, you can hear Elvis sing Jericho on youtube.

#1451877 - 06/07/10 12:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GlassLove]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That was pretty cool, GlassLove! I've never heard Elvis sing that one before.

#1451883 - 06/07/10 12:33 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

I found it when I was surfing for a piano version of Jericho (to check my interpretation of it). Are you an Elvis fan? I am not at all. My stepmom listened to him all of the time and it drove me insane. I remember driving with friends on our way to college as a freshman and they made up a song about how I was "Elvis-free" until Thanksgiving (sung, of course, in Elvis style laugh

#1451895 - 06/07/10 12:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GlassLove]
Doug F Offline

Whether one is a fan of Elvis or not, it's hard to find a form of modern music that hasn't either been influenced by Elvis or had an influence on him. His roots were in Blues, Gospel and Country music.

#1451978 - 06/07/10 02:21 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Doug F]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, I was a teenager during Elvis's rise to fame, but no, I wasn't really that much of a fan. But it's hard to have grown up in those years and not have been surrounded by Elvis's music. It was literally everywhere. Many of my friends were serious fans - like in screaming and fainting and sending him gifts on his birthday type fans. LOL. In fact, the craziness of his fans probably kept me from appreciating his music. I thought the whole thing was insane. In hindsight I will admit that he had a good voice, and I do like some of his ballads and gospel hymns.

#1451985 - 06/07/10 02:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
Cobra1365 Offline

Would you recommend Alfred's Book One for someone learning Keyboard too? Is it more "piano specific" or will it still give me good basics to build upon?

Right now, I am using Alfreds Max with DVD for Keyboard. But, it is not very comprehensive and the DVD's, thouhg they initially provide some discussion, end up jumping right to playing a piece rather than discussing what is going on.

Thanks

#1452060 - 06/07/10 03:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Cobra1365]
Pianosaurus Rex Offline

Originally Posted By: Cobra1365
Would you recommend Alfred's Book One for someone learning Keyboard too? Is it more "piano specific" or will it still give me good basics to build upon?

Right now, I am using Alfreds Max with DVD for Keyboard. But, it is not very comprehensive and the DVD's, thouhg they initially provide some discussion, end up jumping right to playing a piece rather than discussing what is going on.

Thanks

Alfred's should work just fine for keyboard too.
I'd say it's better than an actual keyboard book, even, since now it'll make transition to piano easier if you'd ever want to do that.

Also you'd learn more about chords, which (to my limited knowledge of keyboard methods at least) is often omitted for the keyboard books, since they usually use those chords you can trigger with one key through some settings of your kboard.

You can still do that of course, but now you also have the entire chord written out for you so you'll have a choice. smile

#1452068 - 06/07/10 04:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Cobra1365]
nancymae Offline

Thanks GlassLove..no, I'm not playing it like he sings it..lots of style there! I will work on that way!

Speaking of Elvis Fans...I have Sirius Satellite Radio (I live in the boonies...there is only country up here..and can't access that very well either!!), and they have a 24/7 Elvis Channel. Elvis everyday, all day. Which is fine..I like his music...but our accountant comes up each year and that is the ONLY station he listens too..nothing else...so it's 14 hours of Elvis each and every day (for a week), plus him to deal with...I'm ready to shoot myself.

Takes me like 6 months to be able to listen to another Elvis song each and every year....on...and on....and on...and on.
Alfred Favorites Book

#1452069 - 06/07/10 04:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nancymae]
nancymae Offline

Oh, and I get to cook for him too!
Alfred Favorites Book

#1452086 - 06/07/10 04:18 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nancymae]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Your accountant, right? Not Elvis. I suspect he's not eating much lately laugh
Doesn't the radio station get a touch boring? Sure, Elvis was prolific, but all of his recorded songs cannot fill a day of music can they?
I remember my step mom loved top 40 radio too. They would play the # 1 song once every hour. It would be mind numbing to hear the same thing over and over and over and over and over. I haven't listened to the radio since living with my parents!!

#1452107 - 06/07/10 04:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GlassLove]
Pianosaurus Rex Offline

Hah, my colleagues always listen to a radio station that airs the same music every day. It's almost the same playlist in a different order each day.
Thankfully they don't have one particular song repeated every hour, that'd completely drive me insane!

I often get to work on my own in a somewhat separated workplace with my own little radio, which I always tune to the national classical station.
Sometimes I get help there though, so we have to figure out what we tune the radio too, since I'm the only one in the entire factory that likes classical music.
Usually we just switch it, part of the time classical, part of the time pop.

It works out well that way.

But to get back to Alfreds;
Finally managed to get a start on Beautiful Brown Eyes, which I had hoped to have done by Thursday last week, but couldn't do it because I fell ill.
Too my surprise, I found this a lot easier then it looked.
I sort of looked forward too it, since I often played a much easier arrangement of it, which I really liked.

Maybe I need to play it well before I can honestly judge the Alfred's arrangement, but I think I like the really easy one a lot more then the much more complex Alfred's variant! ha

#1452641 - 06/08/10 12:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Pianosaurus Rex]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Congrats on beautiful brown eyes, Pianosaurus! That is such an interesting observation regarding the very easy/harder arrangements. It might be fun to compare them side by side (literally). Maybe that would allow you to know exactly what you don't like about the Alfred's (other than its harder :D).

#1452646 - 06/08/10 12:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Pianosaurus Rex]
Cobra1365 Offline

Originally Posted By: Pianosaurus Rex
Originally Posted By: Cobra1365

Thanks

Alfred's should work just fine for keyboard too.
I'd say it's better than an actual keyboard book, even, since now it'll make transition to piano easier if you'd ever want to do that.

Also you'd learn more about chords, which (to my limited knowledge of keyboard methods at least) is often omitted for the keyboard books, since they usually use those chords you can trigger with one key through some settings of your kboard.

You can still do that of course, but now you also have the entire chord written out for you so you'll have a choice. smile

Thanks Rex! I think I'll pick it up.

#1453007 - 06/08/10 10:18 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Sabina Richter Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA United
So it seems I am way behind the group of you but I am also using Alfred's book 1. I have been playing piano for - lets see - 4 days smile I made it to Jingle Bells! Of course it is quite a challenge for me and probably seems so simple to the rest of you. Getting my left hand to do something different from my right hand is a nightmare!! I sure do hope it gets easier.
Any beginners out there near Jingle Bells in the book?
Any other players got some good advice?
I would love to hear it!
Thanks All!
Sabina

#1453048 - 06/08/10 11:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Sabina Richter]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sabina, Jingle Bells kicked all our butts at first. Keep working on it, and you will be so proud when you nail it. In some ways the hands together stuff does get easier, and in some ways it doesn't because there will always be a new, more difficult piece to play. Right now there is a piece in Book 2 that's really kicking my butt, and I've been working on it for a month. Just enjoy the challenge and keep at it, and soon you will be telling some newbie how you conquered Jingle Bells.

#1453062 - 06/09/10 12:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
Sabina Richter Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA United
Thanks mom3gram! I'll keep working at it. I know it will be a thrill when I get it mastered!

#1453071 - 06/09/10 12:42 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Sabina Richter]
Pianosaurus Rex Offline

Hand independence will get easier (There's an active thread about this going on in the ABF at the moment.) but the material you learn will also get harder!
So yeah, good luck! ha

I'm sure there's more people starting every now and then, so you're not the only one at the start of Alfred's! smile

Keep us updated on your progress, and best of luck to your piano adventures!

#1453203 - 06/09/10 09:02 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Pianosaurus Rex]
nancymae Offline

Welcome Sabina! I started playing on Christmas Day (in fact, MUCH of Xmas Day was spent playing!!!!) I love it...just take it so and enjoy the process! Welcome to the group..please share your experiences..there are alot of great musicians here to help! And we are all beginners!
Alfred Favorites Book

#1453238 - 06/09/10 10:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Sabina Richter]
Cobra1365 Offline

Sabina...you're just a wee beginner...having played the piano for all of a month now I can say.... grin heheheheehehhe

I know exactly what you mean! I posted another thread about making the hands/brain do different things at the same time!

Lots of good info around here! Stick with it and we'll commissurate together! grin grin

Page 127 of 196 < 1 2 ... 125 126 127 128 129 ... 195 196 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (ABC Vermonter, 36251, alans, accordeur, 44 invisible), 1380 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156342 Topics
2296239 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P-85 closer to a Grand Piano action than any Upright!
by Paul678
Today at 07:22 PM
Do someone have a Sciortino Insta-COILER
by Olek
Today at 06:55 PM
Buying used piano for school district - need advice/cautions
by ChoralScholar
Today at 05:34 PM
Help with a leg!
by igirl
Today at 04:53 PM
Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why?
by alans
Today at 04:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission