Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 139 of 203 < 1 2 ... 137 138 139 140 141 ... 202 203 >
Topic Options
#1535531 - 10/14/10 06:17 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: vocalists]
seaotter7 Offline

Loc: Canada
I played Alouette a few days ago. It is described as a French folk song, but I thought it was French-Canadian (given that the Montreal football team's name is Montreal Alouettes). Wikipedia describes the song as French-Canadian, first published in a songbook in Montreal but probably of French origin. Apparently used by the voyageurs in the fur trade to make the paddling seem easier.

Too bad that the Alfred's book doesn't include the lyrics (in French) since they are very simple - although a bit gruesome.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1539597 - 10/20/10 05:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
fliper Offline

Loc: Angola (Africa)
Originally Posted By: mom3gram
Howser, "Good People" was a tough one. I dropped it and came back to it later a few times before I got it down.

fliper, I had fun playing the LH version of "Saints", but found the RH version very awkward at first. That's great that the DVD has a true piano sound. Maybe Alfred was listening to its customers. I was very disappointed in the CD that came with my book.

I had fun too playing the "Saints" both versions. I also had fun play "I'm Gonna Lay My Burden Down" with LH (as the book) and then with RH too. I really liked this piece.

I don't like the CD too. I read this thread from the begining and I don't remember someone says "I like the CD". But Alfred liked very much because the DVD also have the same songs in mp3 (same version of CD).

As self teaching the DVD help me a lot in details as dynamics and rythm.

Now I am in "A Friend Like You" - Page 51. One more little step further wink

#1539735 - 10/20/10 09:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: seaotter7]
ChrisTF Offline

Loc: Cary, NC USA
I just started this week, and can play up to page 30. I know music theory though, and play guitar, which helps. One thing I'm doing right off is playing with a metronome.
Too many guitars to list

#1540697 - 10/22/10 02:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ChrisTF]
fliper Offline

Welcome to this thread ChrisTF and keep us informed about your progression.

I am shure that your knowledge about music theory will help you.

I started piano with a keyboard Yamaha PSR413 playing from an old book called "Piano Magic" and from Gil DeBeneddetti web site, but without counting and without capability to play with a metronome.

Now, I started Alfred AIO book and decided to count and play with a metronome. This took me a long time but it helps me a lot to play at correct rythm.

As there are 3 versions of Alfred Adult Piano, can you please refer the piece name instead only the page?

#1540700 - 10/22/10 02:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: seaotter7]
fliper Offline

Originally Posted By: seaotter7

Too bad that the Alfred's book doesn't include the lyrics (in French) since they are very simple - although a bit gruesome.

You can find lyrics in French here
http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/lyrics/alouette.htm

#1541449 - 10/23/10 01:42 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: fliper]
ChrisTF Offline

Originally Posted By: fliper

Welcome to this thread ChrisTF and keep us informed about your progression.

I am shure that your knowledge about music theory will help you.

I started piano with a keyboard Yamaha PSR413 playing from an old book called "Piano Magic" and from Gil DeBeneddetti web site, but without counting and without capability to play with a metronome.

Now, I started Alfred AIO book and decided to count and play with a metronome. This took me a long time but it helps me a lot to play at correct rythm.

As there are 3 versions of Alfred Adult Piano, can you please refer the piece name instead only the page?

I just learned Jingle Bells today, sight-reading. smile So I'm up to that page.
Too many guitars to list

#1542221 - 10/24/10 04:11 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ChrisTF]
fliper Offline

Originally Posted By: ChrisTF

I just learned Jingle Bells today, sight-reading. smile So I'm up to that page.

Jingle Bells is the first piece to play with RH and LH together. For me it is a landmark.

I am not good with my memory, but after decide to count, it is more difficult to me play a piece (even a simple piece) from memory.

#1542686 - 10/24/10 09:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
ChrisTF Offline

I play guitar by ear/memory, so I can memorize pieces, though, I'm really trying to sight read, and not just memorize for now.
Too many guitars to list

#1543537 - 10/25/10 10:31 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
magicbug Offline

Loc: ga
I started yesterday, i am at "Jingle Bells" Gosh, it is so hard. I could only play about 15 minute per day.

#1543626 - 10/26/10 02:13 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: magicbug]
fliper Offline

Originally Posted By: ChrisTF
I play guitar by ear/memory, so I can memorize pieces, though, I'm really trying to sight read, and not just memorize for now.

Ok. I understand now smile.

Originally Posted By: magicbug
I started yesterday, i am at "Jingle Bells" Gosh, it is so hard. I could only play about 15 minute per day.

Welcome to this thread magicbug.

Play first only RH. Then only LH. Then RH and RH together slowly until you play all notes right. Then you can play faster at up CD rythm.

If you have trouble in one part of the pieace, play only that part until you play it right, do not repeat all peace again and again.

#1544809 - 10/27/10 02:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: fliper]
seaotter7 Offline

You can find lyrics in French here
http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/lyrics/alouette.htm

Thanks for the link to the Alouette lyrics. I'm plucking the poor little lark now!

#1545048 - 10/27/10 10:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
magicbug Offline

Loc: ga
ok jingle bells and a few other simple pieces are done, now at Mary Ann

#1545162 - 10/28/10 02:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: magicbug]
fliper Offline

You are doing well magicbug. Hard pieces become easy fast to you!

I am at Cuckoo - page 59.

Interesting to see that PianoNoobAlexMan do not play the second time "piano" in "Love Somebody" and do not play the second time "LH one octave lower" in "A Friend Like You".

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=PianoNoobAlexMan&p=r

#1545298 - 10/28/10 09:13 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: magicbug]
MartinJB Offline

Loc: Southern California
Hey Everyone,

I decided to pick this up to use as a supplement to my lessons. I just finished Jingle Bells.

#1545301 - 10/28/10 09:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Just in time for Christmas. :-)

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1545557 - 10/28/10 05:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Spitfire Offline

Loc: OhiO
I just purchased this on Friday night, I was using Fundamental Keys and although it is a great book I was wanting something that was a bit more in depth for somebody not using a teacher. Love it so far, I kinda wish I would have started with it from the begining 6 months ago when I started to play. Like I said FK is a good book with great pieces, it just seems it would go better with a teacher's help, wanted a bit more insight into chord construction, etc. It could be because it seems a bit more geared towards classical study then and all around aproach. If anything the pieces in FK will be great to pair with Alfred's. I've thumbed through ALfreds and so far it looks like it will be right up my alley. Im up to page 42 smile. Although with already having played for 6 months thats not much of a milestone, lol. I look forward to posting here in this thread. Talk to you all in the future.

Edited by Spitfire (10/28/10 10:44 PM)

Relaxed playing, o how sweet it feels without the burn

#1545715 - 10/28/10 10:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Spitfire Offline

One question I do have, and this is more of an all around question. Where do you all sit normaly at the piano, do you sit in the center or do you center yourself at middle C. In FK it is noted to sit with middle C in the middle of your body but i always wondered if this is just done in the begining to familarize yourself with middle C or if it is the correct way to do it forever. I'd imagine its best to sit wherever is most confortable but was wondering where you guys and gals position yourself.

#1545720 - 10/28/10 10:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Infinity Offline

Loc: West Orange, NJ
I've always told my students line thier nose up with middle C. Of course, some shifting is bound to occur during certain songs that have sections primarily in the bass or treble.
www.pianolessonsnj.com

#1545839 - 10/29/10 02:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Infinity]
molto_agitato Offline

Loc: Washington State
There is a book by Howard Richman titled Super Sight-reading Secrets. In it, Richman advises piano players to sit at middle D (specifically, he advises players to sit so that their navels are aligned with middle D) because middle D is at the physical center of the keyboard. When I first read this suggestion, it seemed as reasonable as anything else, so I started sitting at middle D.

However, and I didn't think of this at the time, my left arm is a little shorter than my right arm; I would've been in better symmetry had I sat at middle C after all!

But yes, I think it's a good idea, especially for beginners (like me) to always sit in the same spot while at the keyboard. Doing so will help develop a sense of the relative distances of all of the keys from the location at which one sits.

EDIT: The center of the keyboard on a standard 88 key piano is actually somewhere between middle E and middle F. I measured my piano's keyboard!

Edited by molto_agitato (10/29/10 03:59 PM)
Edit Reason: correcting faulty information

#1545849 - 10/29/10 02:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Spitfire]
fliper Offline

MartinJB, Spitfire, welcome to this thread.

Just in time for Christmas. :-)

mom3gram, I'm glad you are still posting here. Are you ok with Book 2?

Originally Posted By: Spitfire
One question I do have, and this is more of an all around question. Where do you all sit normaly at the piano, do you sit in the center or do you center yourself at middle C. In FK it is noted to sit with middle C in the middle of your body but i always wondered if this is just done in the begining to familarize yourself with middle C or if it is the correct way to do it forever. I'd imagine its best to sit wherever is most confortable but was wondering where you guys and gals position yourself.

I sit in the center of piano.

#1545986 - 10/29/10 07:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: fliper]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey

I've put my Book 2 aside for a while to play other things - partly because I've really struggled with the last few pieces, and partly because too many Mexican type pieces in a row made me want a change. As I am not really gifted musically, and am working without a teacher, I sometimes hit a wall for a while and need to take a break with some easier music before moving on. I still think that Alfred AIO is a great method, and do fully intend to work my way through books 2 and 3 at my usual slow pace.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1546302 - 10/29/10 03:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Spitfire]
seaotter7 Offline

Going back to the sitting position question, I sit in the centre of the piano bench which is roughly centred in front of the piano. I have never paid attention to where this is relative to the keys. It seems to me that it wouldn't make much difference whether your navel is in front of C or D, given the range of movement you have with your arms and upper body.

The distance between the bench and the piano is probably a lot more important, plus that you don't sit too far back on the bench.

#1546341 - 10/29/10 03:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
molto_agitato Offline

Originally Posted By: molto_agitato
There is a book by Howard Richman titled Super Sight-reading Secrets. In it, Richman advises piano players to sit at middle D (specifically, he advises players to sit so that their navels are aligned with middle D) because middle D is at the physical center of the keyboard. When I first read this suggestion, it seemed as reasonable as anything else, so I started sitting at middle D.

After I wrote this, it began to seem increasingly wrong to me. I measured my piano, which has a standard 88 key keyboard, and the center of the keyboard is actually somewhere between middle E and middle F. So, I'm not sure the reason for Richman's advise to sit at middle D. Middle C would seem to make more sense, given that it's at least the center of the grand staff.

The distance between the bench and the piano is probably a lot more important, plus that you don't sit too far back on the bench.

My piano sits on a patterned rug. When I first found the ideal spot for my piano bench, I noted where the bench sat relative to the markings on the rug, so my bench always sits in the same location when I'm at the piano. Also, I like to sit somewhere between the front 1/2 and front 1/3 of the bench.

#1546352 - 10/29/10 04:17 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: seaotter7]
Spitfire Offline

Going back to the sitting position question, I sit in the centre of the piano bench which is roughly centred in front of the piano. I have never paid attention to where this is relative to the keys. It seems to me that it wouldn't make much difference whether your navel is in front of C or D, given the range of movement you have with your arms and upper body.

I agree but with some of the pieces that I am on in the book the right hand thumb is on middle C and left hand pinky is on next C to the left and its kind of unconfortable. But I can always lean back and to the left to make it more comfy. I'd imagine on future pieces it won't matter as much.

#1546435 - 10/29/10 05:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Spitfire]
seaotter7 Offline

Originally Posted By: Spitfire

I agree but with some of the pieces that I am on in the book the right hand thumb is on middle C and left hand pinky is on next C to the left and its kind of unconfortable. But I can always lean back and to the left to make it more comfy. I'd imagine on future pieces it won't matter as much.

Perhaps try sitting further away from the piano. It shouldn't be uncomfortable. Other pieces may require your hands to go even further to the left.

Edited by seaotter7 (10/29/10 05:48 PM)

#1547076 - 10/30/10 04:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
cunparis Offline

Loc: Paris, France
I have a question about the 5 finger position method used by Alred's. I'm in the all in one level 1 book and making good progress. I've played piano a bit on my own my whole life but never had any formal training and never could play with both hands at the same time. So I'm really loving being able to do that.

My question is about the position method. I read a lot of criticism about the 5 finger position method. Teachers say their students can't play other pieces which don't fit in 5 fingers, etc. Is this really a problem?

And when I play sometimes I am not using the right fingers for the notes. Is this a problem if the notes sound right? Sometimes I just instinctively move my hand and play the notes but not using exactly the same fingers.

So I'm thinking if some books don't worry about the 5 finger approach then maybe I shouldn't worry about it either? But then I think I'm using the Alfred's book so I should go by their system and make sure the right finger is used for each note.

I'm curious what others think.

#1547093 - 10/30/10 05:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: cunparis]
Emissary52 Offline

Loc: Monroe, NC USA
cunparis - As you proceed further in Book 1, you'll learn to move your fingers around a bit more, which will slowly wean you off of the 5-finger position mentality. I think many teachers and method book authors use it to establish a "comfort zone" for beginners and then slowly expand it to extended hand positions and whole hand movement. This takes time, but you'll eventually leave home base! grin
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1547134 - 10/30/10 06:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
molto_agitato Offline

Originally Posted By: cunparis
My question is about the position method. I read a lot of criticism about the 5 finger position method. Teachers say their students can't play other pieces which don't fit in 5 fingers, etc. Is this really a problem?

I've read a lot of the same criticism. For example, some piano teachers are critical of piano methods that rely on five finger positions because transfer students who previously relied on these piano are unable to identify notes on the grand staff. I've read cases of such students who, when faced with music that lies outside of a five finger position (i.e. C position, G position, etc.), become completely stymied because they don't know where to place their hands when beginning to play the piece. Now, I would imagine this is a problem that only children would face, and probably young children at that. I doubt that any adult whose first piano pieces are in five finger positions is going to be completely unable to read notes as a result.

Originally Posted By: cunparis
And when I play sometimes I am not using the right fingers for the notes. Is this a problem if the notes sound right? Sometimes I just instinctively move my hand and play the notes but not using exactly the same fingers.

Another criticism I've read about five finger positions is that some children come to believe that each note on the piano is associated with a given finger. For example, such a child might believe middle C must always be played by the right hand thumb, middle D must be always be played by the right hand second finger, etc. Again, I would think this is a problem exclusive to children. Also, I'm inclined to think if you are not using the "right fingers" for pieces that are in a five finger position, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. It suggests to me you're comfortable with the topography of he keyboard, which is an important skill to develop. (I'm not however saying that fingering isn't important; I realize it is.)

#1547404 - 10/31/10 04:29 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Pianosaurus Rex Offline

I dropped Alfred's for quite a while, but decided that I'd like to finish the book. Since it's been such a long time I'm restarting it from the beginning, I should be flying through the first pages rather quickly.

I'll try to post here occasionally with a short progress report and see if I can keep playing the book 'till the end this time.

I didn't really care for most of the music in the book that much, but I guess it contains valuable lessons, so it's worth doing I guess. laugh

Edit; On the whole where to sit debate, I always habitually sit at middle C. Simple reason is that it always works well enough, whether I play 88 key piano, 85 key, harpsichord or anything else with a different range.

It's more of a habitual thing, really. I don't think it really matters as long as you are roughly in the middle. There are many other aspects of posture, on the other hand, that I think are vital to proper piano playing.

Edited by Pianosaurus Rex (10/31/10 05:15 AM)

Student/apprentice technician

#1547430 - 10/31/10 06:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Pianosaurus Rex]
fliper Offline

I've put my Book 2 aside for a while to play other things - partly because I've really struggled with the last few pieces, and partly because too many Mexican type pieces in a row made me want a change. As I am not really gifted musically, and am working without a teacher, I sometimes hit a wall for a while and need to take a break with some easier music before moving on. I still think that Alfred AIO is a great method, and do fully intend to work my way through books 2 and 3 at my usual slow pace.

Each piece in Alfred has a new thing to learn. There is no pieces in the book to use just what we have learned before. At least for the very beginning. And it is not easy to find similar pieces out of the book.

Originally Posted By: Pianosaurus Rex

Edit; On the whole where to sit debate, I always habitually sit at middle C. Simple reason is that it always works well enough, whether I play 88 key piano, 85 key, harpsichord or anything else with a different range.

I sit just in front of the small LCD Display of my DP (it is in the center) smile

Page 139 of 203 < 1 2 ... 137 138 139 140 141 ... 202 203 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rachmaninoff 2 and broken strings
by Anne'sson
09/22/14 09:31 AM
Kawai CN24 vs Kawai CA65 Vs Acoustic
by Luca33
09/22/14 08:55 AM
What happpened to the "edit" button?
by jim ialeggio
09/22/14 07:38 AM
AMusA reports?
by Badinage
09/22/14 07:03 AM
Dipabrsm starting as an adult?
by Franz Beebert
09/22/14 06:37 AM
Who's Online
125 registered (anotherscott, ando, ajames, Anne'sson, 45 invisible), 1596 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76285 Members
42 Forums
157688 Topics
2316141 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission