Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 163 of 205 < 1 2 ... 161 162 163 164 165 ... 204 205 >
Topic Options
#1898441 - 05/17/12 05:08 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Wish4 Thing]
fliper Offline

Loc: Angola (Africa)
Originally Posted By: Wish4 Thing
[quote=Wish4 Thing]... Finally, this is my Amazing Grace...

I liked it. Sounds good to me, all transitions are smooth. I do not notice any transition you may have more trouble. Your play seems good to me too.

Those blues were always road blockers for me... somehow I felt like they can twist my mind so that my fingers don't listen to me any more... I had to stop for a while (days, weeks, even years laugh ) and then come back to them later when my brain functions more properly...:)

My "Good People" still need to be played smoothly, with rigth timing smile

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1898625 - 05/17/12 12:21 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: fliper]
Wish4 Thing Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Originally Posted By: fliper

My "Good People" still need to be played smoothly, with rigth timing smile

smile always glad to hear you are making steady progress! The last 3 songs in the book took me about one month on each... so take your time, as polishing each single detail in techniques will help you long way in the future... I think those eighth notes still give me trouble even now, I'm struggling with playing 1/8 at 150 bpm... but, "I'm getting there note by note" (stole from someone's signature here in this forum) crazy

Unit 11 of Faber's Accelerated Lesson Book 2

Collections from Piano World for Adult Beginners

#1900335 - 05/20/12 05:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Johnny D Offline

Loc: Brazil
If someone could help here, I've been working on The Entertainer and there is this part with the right hand where I'm not sure if I should play it with the fingers 1-4 or 1-5.

Alfred's didn't mark anything so perhaps they intend us to play it with the 1-4, however that is a bit of a stretch. I realized I was twisting or rotating my hand clockwise to play it like that and now my wrist kind of hurts.

Should I continue to try to play it 1-4, perhaps paying attention to keep my hand straighter or should I try to play it 1-5?

Thanks for any help,

Johnny
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1900378 - 05/20/12 06:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Play it the comfortable way. 1-5. There's nothing nearby that would dictate 4 as being in any way more convenient. Your hand position will often be moving, and expanding out or contracting in, as you move up and down the keyboard.

If the immediately preceding note were E on 5, then that might be an argument for 1-4.

#1900398 - 05/20/12 06:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Johnny D Offline

Thanks PianoStudent88,

By playing it 1-5, one has to move both right and left hands down one key so I think that makes it a bit more difficult to keep with the rhythm that way. However the comfort of playing it with the 1-5 position should more than make up for it. It will just need a little more practice to get the hang of keeping the timing on that bit.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1900399 - 05/20/12 06:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Wish4 Thing Offline

I've been using 1-5... I didn't even think... smile

I like PianoStudent88's theory. Since next note is D on the left, using 5 helps to prepare RH to move towards left...

On a side topic, I find it hard for me to play sheetmusic that doesn't have fingering marks, unless it's simple 5 finger position... I read some threads on this topic, people often said it's a personal preference, whatever you feel comfortable with...

#1900405 - 05/20/12 07:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Johnny D, as soon as you've played the final A with 2 in the RH in the previous measure, your RH has already moved down a step. Let your RH lie naturally over the keys at that point and you'll find that 5 is already over D. That is, don't maintain the stretched position where 3 is over C and 2 is over A.

Wish4 Thing, there are principles that cover sensible fingering. It does adjust depending on the player, but it's not a pure free-for-all. I once found a document on the web which described this, but I can't find it again. Let me think about it overnight and I may be able to summarize what I remember.

I found that playing lots of well-fingered music helped me to be able to come up with reasonable fingerings for unfingered music. I don't do it well on the fly though; I need to take time and work it out. Even so, on the fly I am able to get to the notes by hook or by crook.

#1900521 - 05/20/12 11:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: PianoStudent88]
Johnny D Offline

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
as soon as you've played the final A with 2 in the RH in the previous measure, your RH has already moved down a step. Let your RH lie naturally over the keys at that point and you'll find that 5 is already over D. That is, don't maintain the stretched position where 3 is over C and 2 is over A.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1900730 - 05/21/12 01:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Wish4 Thing]
Johnny D Offline

You got it right the first time smile

I like PianoStudent88's theory. Since next note is D on the left, using 5 helps to prepare RH to move towards left...

That's true too.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1902329 - 05/24/12 10:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Johnny D Offline

I was playing the ending of He's Got the Whole World and I started thinking to myself, "That sounds a bit like Carole King's You've got a Friend." The last couple of chords sound kind of the same, maybe they are in a different key, but it reminded me of it.

So then I stop playing He's Got the Whole World and start playing some chords and notes and thinking the words to You've Got a Friend: "Don't you know that you've got a friend? Ain't it good to know you've got a friend. Ain't it good to know.."

Has something like this happened to anyone else while studying Alfred's? Playing something and thinking it sounds like another song, and maybe trying to play or sing the other song?
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1902376 - 05/24/12 12:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Johnny D]
KeysAngler Offline

Loc: The Fabulous Florida Keys
Originally Posted By: Johnny D

Has something like this happened to anyone else while studying Alfred's? Playing something and thinking it sounds like another song, and maybe trying to play or sing the other song?

Axis of Awesome does a video of 64 pop songs that use the same four chords .. good video but it has a curse word in it so I'd better not post it here ... it's on UTube

Edited by KeysAngler (05/24/12 12:51 PM)

#1902431 - 05/24/12 03:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: KeysAngler]
Johnny D Offline

Thanks for the video. Were all of those songs really recorded in the same key or did they transpose any of them to fit?
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1905682 - 05/30/12 05:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
SmellsLikeABeer Offline

I been relearning songs up to Good People where I was when
I quit practicing. I am at The Can-Can now. I was looking ahead
at songs in the book watching Youtube videos. I found demos
that a teacher uploaded for her students. They are the last
seven songs in the All In One book from Over The Rainbow to
Chattanooga Choo Choo. Her channel is "pamspiano".

#1905715 - 05/30/12 07:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
KeysAngler Offline

Loc: The Fabulous Florida Keys
Thanks for the info Smells Like A Beer ... I'm on page 79 this week and looking forward to reaching the pieces at the end of the book ... well,maybe not Gilligan's piece

#1907316 - 06/02/12 07:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: SmellsLikeABeer]
Johnny D Offline

Originally Posted By: SmellsLikeABeer
I found demos that a teacher uploaded for her students. Her channel is "pamspiano".

There is also this guy, Alan, on youtube alanchan who has uploaded a ton of videos of himself playing various pieces from all sorts of lesson books among others.

Just search his channel for alfred's and the piece you are working on.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1907320 - 06/02/12 07:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: KeysAngler]
Johnny D Offline

Originally Posted By: KeysAngler
well, maybe not Gilligan's piece

The Ballad of Gilligan's Isle isn't in my book. It sounds kind of fun though as long as it isn't too difficult.

I've just started Amazing Grace though I still need to polish up He's Got The Whole World and The Entertainer.

I am enjoying The Entertainer. It's a bit difficult at first but once you get the syncopation down it's not that hard in my opinion, and by the time we get to the song, we've already had some practice in syncopation. This was also a song I heard a lot as a child so maybe that helps too.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1907466 - 06/03/12 03:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: SmellsLikeABeer]
fliper Offline

There is also this guy, Alan, on youtube alanchan who has uploaded a ton of videos of himself playing various pieces from all sorts of lesson books among others.

Thanks for share this.

I've just started Amazing Grace though I still need to polish up He's Got The Whole World and The Entertainer.

Well done!

Originally Posted By: SmellsLikeABeer
... I found demos that a teacher uploaded for her students. They are the last seven songs in the All In One book from Over The Rainbow to Chattanooga Choo Choo. Her channel is "pamspiano".

Thanks for share.

#1907877 - 06/03/12 10:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Wish4 Thing]
Wish4 Thing Offline

Finally, this is my Amazing Grace...

I was just told my piano is out of tune... cry I might have to re-record the last 3 pieces of this book after I get my piano tuned...

by the way, here is an easy Fur Elise from gmajormusictheory.org (many of you recommended this site for leveled sheet music, thanks!), I added pedal to left hand playing... it was fun especially for left hand practice (though with an out-of-tune piano... blush )

#1907903 - 06/03/12 11:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Wish4 Thing]
MaryAnn Offline

Loc: Japan

On a side topic, I find it hard for me to play sheetmusic that doesn't have fingering marks, unless it's simple 5 finger position... I read some threads on this topic, people often said it's a personal preference, whatever you feel comfortable with...
I still end up getting a lot of help from my teacher on this. She comes up with solutions that never occurred to me. I guess it comes with experience...

#1907914 - 06/03/12 11:39 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: MaryAnn]
Wish4 Thing Offline

Wish4 Thing, there are principles that cover sensible fingering. It does adjust depending on the player, but it's not a pure free-for-all. I once found a document on the web which described this, but I can't find it again. Let me think about it overnight and I may be able to summarize what I remember.

I found that playing lots of well-fingered music helped me to be able to come up with reasonable fingerings for unfingered music. I don't do it well on the fly though; I need to take time and work it out. Even so, on the fly I am able to get to the notes by hook or by crook.

Originally Posted By: MaryAnn
I still end up getting a lot of help from my teacher on this. She comes up with solutions that never occurred to me. I guess it comes with experience...

I was hoping to get more hints from PianoStudent88 on this topic...:)

someone mentioned The Art of Fingering in another thread... I haven't had the time to read it yet... not sure if this will help?

#1911725 - 06/11/12 06:18 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
wesley84 Offline

Question about playing "legato":

Isn't the normal style of play also "legato"? I don't have a teacher so I have to ask here..

How I usually play is pressing one finger down, then the moment the other finger comes down, lift that one up. (walking the fingers?) I suppose there is probably no overlap, but it sounds almost exactly like "legato". Is this the correct "normal" play style?

Maybe the problem is that I just don't hear the difference. I've been listening to some of the songs on the DVD (played on piano), and can't identify legato versus normal-style of play.

Also, I find playing legato really hard. I can do it when I play really slow, but not at a normal tempo. Both fingers need to fully press down the key for a split moment, right?

Last question, I'm playing "Love somebody" (song nr 20 in self teaching alfred).

Now, in the second measure you have a - b -c in the right hand, and harmonic intervals in the left hand. To change from one interval to the next, one must lift the fingers from the keys completely right? That works when I only play the left hand, but when I combine this with the right hand, it's really hard to "walk the fingers" in the right hand.

You have to lift the fingers off the left hand first, then change the fingers and press down. At the same time, you must walk the fingers AFTER first lifting the left hand fingers and then press them down simultaneously. find that hard to coordinate. Or am I doing something fundamentally wrong here? What happens if I don't think about it is that I play staccato in the right hand instead.

Thanks. Sorry if this is really dumb, not having a teacher and all smile

Edited by wesley84 (06/11/12 06:19 AM)

#1912093 - 06/11/12 10:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: wesley84]
Johnny D Offline

Originally Posted By: wesley84
Isn't the normal style of play also "legato"? I don't have a teacher so I have to ask here..

Legato means playing smoothly with no spaces between the notes. This is in contrast to staccato.

Watch the beginning of this video to see the difference:
Video lesson on legato v. staccato

Quote:
I'm playing "Love somebody"
Now, in the second measure you have a - b -c in the right hand, and harmonic intervals in the left hand... it's really hard to "walk the fingers" in the right hand.

There is no legato arc over this part in the song, so you shouldn't need to walk your fingers like in legato. You can lift them off the keys a bit, but they probably shouldn't be a very short stab like in staccato either.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1912175 - 06/12/12 03:50 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
wesley84 Offline

Thanks, would have been nice if that video also included the normal play style though, but perhaps that is just obvious to everyone but me wink

It's not really "walking the fingers", more like "marching the fingers". But that seems to be what the video describes as legato as well (see-saw). So you have to lift the fingers off a bit before pressing the next key in normal play? Wish there was some better video describing this all or a teacher in my neighborhood which doesn't charge an arm and a leg wink

#1912252 - 06/12/12 09:08 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: wesley84]
Johnny D Offline

This video should help answer your questions:
eHow - Piano Staccato & Legato Techniques

The teacher in the video talks about how there is a very slight overlap of the notes played in legato.

By the way, the first three slurs in Love Somebody are over notes which make up a G Major chord (G, B, and D), and therefore you can do quite a bit of overlapping between these notes and they still sound quite nice.

Then the teacher shows the difference between legato and playing normally where there is a slight lift off between the notes, and staccato where the duration of the note is very short.

Edited by Johnny D (06/12/12 09:16 AM)
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1912330 - 06/12/12 12:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Wish4 Thing]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wish4 Thing, there are principles that cover sensible fingering.

I was hoping to get more hints from PianoStudent88 on this topic...:)

I've started a new thread on Fingering.

#1912765 - 06/13/12 09:55 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: wesley84]
Johnny D Offline

Originally Posted By: wesley84
So you have to lift the fingers off a bit before pressing the next key in normal play?

I wouldn't stress too much on lifting each note before hitting the next or else your music might end up sounding too choppy. Just when you play normally, try to play so that your notes don't overlap.

As to legato, try to play it so that there is no space between the notes, that they are tied or slurred together.

Like you have found, there is a fine line between the two. There is very little difference between someone playing normally but smoothly and between someone playing legato style. Just pay attention not to overlap when you play normally.

Thank you, PianoStudent88, it's been bookmarked. smile
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1918807 - 06/26/12 08:22 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Johnny D Offline

Been working on Amazing Grace for the past few weeks. There's a lot on the plate in this piece: various triad chords, rolling chords, dynamics, pedaling, etc.

I'm trying at times to play it without looking at the keyboard for the most part, just looking at the book, though I usually fumble about the keyboard a bit.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1918832 - 06/26/12 09:52 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Johnny D]
fliper Offline

.. I'm trying at times to play it without looking at the keyboard for the most part, just looking at the book, though I usually fumble about the keyboard a bit.

I am trying to do do the same, play full piece without looking to the keyboard, in "The Stranger". It takes a long time to me. I am playing some pieces from DeBenedeti site (level 1, yet).

#1918843 - 06/26/12 10:17 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

fliper and Johnny D, have you been practicing from the beginning how to find your way by feel and not look at the keyboard, or are you just starting it now?

#1918899 - 06/26/12 11:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Johnny D]
Wish4 Thing Offline

Thank you, PianoStudent88, it's been bookmarked. smile

Same here! Thanks, PianoStudent88! That's a PhD thesis! thumb

Page 163 of 205 < 1 2 ... 161 162 163 164 165 ... 204 205 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
10/20/14 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
10/20/14 06:56 PM
Ack! My piano is diseased!
by TwoSnowflakes
10/20/14 06:34 PM
Painting Piano Keys
by imustlearn
10/20/14 06:00 PM
Kawai MP7: Damper controller - bug or feature?
by Banshee
10/20/14 05:37 PM
Who's Online
134 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, ahrensjt, 36251, 44 invisible), 1436 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158390 Topics
2325810 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission