Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 164 of 196 < 1 2 ... 162 163 164 165 166 ... 195 196 >
Topic Options
#1918984 - 06/26/12 02:41 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: PianoStudent88]
Johnny D Offline

Loc: Brazil
Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
fliper and Johnny D, have you been practicing from the beginning how to find your way by feel and not look at the keyboard, or are you just starting it now?

Usually when I play, I go back and forth from looking at the book to looking at the keyboard. Usually after a week or so, I will have learned a given piece in this book by memory, but it will still need work to get it to a decent level.

Sometimes I can play a piece with my eyes closed (maybe not some of these pieces at the end of the book) so when I say that now I am trying just to look at the book, it is more so that I work more on my sight-reading which I felt needed work.

With Amazing Grace, I am trying to look at each note and follow it in the sheet music as I play it. So, yes that is pretty much a new thing for me.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1918993 - 06/26/12 03:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Johnny D, you might find it helpful as you work on your reading, to go back over the whole book and play everything reading the music, and not looking at the keys.

Good for you for working on this in Amazing Grace.

#1919326 - 06/27/12 08:10 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: PianoStudent88]
Johnny D Offline

you might find it helpful as you work on your reading, to go back over the whole book and play everything reading the music, and not looking at the keys.

Thanks for the advice. This morning I went through some pieces in the beginning of the book doing what you said.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1919417 - 06/27/12 11:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
pianolove61 Offline

Loc: northern california
Yes, I used this book to help me reboot my piano skills. I found it very useful and user friendly. My piano and my books are my teachers this time around.

#1919471 - 06/27/12 12:17 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: fliper]
Wish4 Thing Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Originally Posted By: fliper
Originally Posted By: Johnny D
.. I'm trying at times to play it without looking at the keyboard for the most part, just looking at the book, though I usually fumble about the keyboard a bit.

I am trying to do do the same, play full piece without looking to the keyboard, in "The Stranger".

I'm the opposite... I played the whole book without looking at the keyboard except for Amazing Grace... At that point, I realized I paid so much attention to play as smoothly as I can but I might have missed watching my basic hand techniques...

My friend's 8 year old son starts a new piece with only a few measures everyday. Majority of the time, he works on his hand techniques, that is, he polishes every single hit of the key. As a result, once he can play the whole piece, his fingers naturally fall on keyboard beautifully! I love to watch him play once he had it together!

Originally Posted By: fliper
I am playing some pieces from DeBenedeti site (level 1, yet).

Me too! looking forward to listening to your recordings!

Unit 11 of Faber's Accelerated Lesson Book 2

Collections from Piano World for Adult Beginners

#1919868 - 06/28/12 03:41 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: PianoStudent88]
fliper Offline

Loc: Angola (Africa)
fliper and Johnny D, have you been practicing from the beginning how to find your way by feel and not look at the keyboard, or are you just starting it now?

I am practicing it from the beginning. "The Stranger" has some jumps, not only one or two as previous pieces.

#1919966 - 06/28/12 08:29 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Hi everybody! I've been using this book for 3 months and I'm now working on Scarborough Fair, and hitting my very first wall really hard. I'm almost there without the overlapping pedal but as soon as I add it I seem to lose control of my hands. The other songs would just "click" after a few tries (practicing hands separate for a while and then putting them together), but not this one. Any tips? Thanks!

#1919987 - 06/28/12 09:12 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

sinophilia, I can't remember if there are any preparatory exercises for overlapping pedal in Alfred's, but here are some things to try.

The basic principle is as your hands/fingers come DOWN to play a note, your foot is coming UP to clear the previous note, and then down again immediately to catch the new note.

Practice exercises:
1. Pedaling on next beat. Play a series of chords, e.g. diatonic chords in C major: C, Dm, Em, F, etc. Hold each for four beats. Play the first chord. Depress the pedal on beat 2. Play the second chord (this is beat 1 again). Raise and depress the pedal on beat 2. Continue up and down the scale with chords like this. Count out loud as you do this. On beat two, say "up down": One Up Down Three Four, One Up Down Three Four. Etc. Say this in rhythm.

2. Pedaling on next half-beat. Same exercises as above, except raise and depress the pedal a half-beat after you play the note: on the "and" of "1 and" as if counting eighth notes. Count out loud while you do this: One Up Down Two Three Four, One Up Down Three Four. (The "Up Down" will be very quick: like sixteenth notes.)

3. Overlapping pedalling. Same exercise as above, but raise the pedal as you play the new note, and then depress it immediately. Count out loud: Up Down Two Three Four, Up Down Two Three Four.

4. Practice Scarborough Fair really slowly. You can isolate the pedaling by playing a note or two before the pedal point, then play the pedalled note (raising and lowering the pedal), then a note or two after it. Repeat for one pedal point. Practice other pedal points this way. Then, continuing to play slowly, practice playing from a beat before one pedal point to a beat after the next pedal point: chaining two pedal points together.

In all of the above, you can start off playing without keeping time, but say "Up Down" out loud as you raise and depress the pedal. Then later add in playing it rhythmically.

#1920384 - 06/29/12 02:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: PianoStudent88]
sinophilia Offline

Wow, thank you PianoStudent88! I will try all of that later today.

In this book the overlapping pedal comes up first with Greensleeves but it's not a problem there as it's all solid chords. I'm just afraid that if I spend hours on such easy things it will be too much of a struggle when I get to more challenging stuff... but then I guess it takes time to nail down the basics and it's important to get them right from the beginning.

#1920545 - 06/29/12 11:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

sinophilia, it's good to give each skill/technique/piece as much time as it needs to feel solid in it. Yes, some skills you will continue to improve at over time (maybe all skills! I'm just now starting to feel more sensitive about simply how I push down a key!), but it's good to have a reasonably solid base before layering on new things.

Alfred's doesn't necessarily indicate by how many pieces they give a skill, how much time that skill needs. For example, dotted quarter RH rhythm vs. the straight quarters LH in Blow The Man Down: Alfred's just throws that in in one piece, and then moves on. But in fact that's a skill that could use lots of preparatory exercises before even trying it in Blow The Man Down, and then practice in more pieces than just that one piece.

And of course some people need more time on some things, and less time on others.

#1922448 - 07/04/12 03:12 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: PianoStudent88]
sinophilia Offline

I finally started to read Fundamentals of Piano Practice that I had downloaded a while ago, and though I find the layout a bit confusing it looks like there are many pearls of wisdom in it. I'm trying to integrate some of these (HS practice, slowing down from 'infinite speed', thumb over, etc.) in my practice and I think I'm ready for the last 2 songs in the Alfred book. Then I intend to go back and browse through it from the beginning to have another look at some songs that I didn't practice thoroughly.

Oh, and happy 4th of July to all Americans!

#1924968 - 07/10/12 07:32 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
sinophilia Offline

So... where is everybody, have you all moved to book 2? wink

Right now I'm working on The Entertainer (HS done, HT... not so much) and Amazing Grace (RH only so far).

I can play Scarborough Fair now, but more often than not I find myself messing up the LH, even after playing it like 100 times. Weird, because I have no problems with Raisins and Almonds, which I like a lot. Oh, and since I couldn't sing it for the life of me, I transposed Scarborough Fair from D minor down to A minor, that was great fun!

I'm planning two little recitals - one of slow songs, one of faster pieces - to review it all and then I hope I'll be ready to start book 3 in 2-3 weeks.

Edited by sinophilia (07/10/12 07:49 AM)

#1925044 - 07/10/12 11:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Congratulations on your progress, sinophilia.

#1925127 - 07/10/12 03:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
sinophilia Offline

Thank you smile

#1925133 - 07/10/12 04:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: sinophilia]
Wish4 Thing Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Originally Posted By: sinophilia

I just had my piano tuned last week... it does sound better to my untrained ears smile I'm in the middle of re-recording Amazing Grace...

It'll be fun if we all go to book 2 together whistle

Unit 11 of Faber's Accelerated Lesson Book 2

Collections from Piano World for Adult Beginners

#1926606 - 07/14/12 08:54 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: sinophilia]
Johnny D Offline

I've been doing a juice fast recently and so I've been spending most of my free time juicing, exercising instead of practicing. Amazing Grace is coming along, but I still make the odd mistake almost every time I play it, and there is the issue of dynamics to work on. Anyhow, last week I did start on Over the Rainbow.

Right now I'm working on The Entertainer (HS done, HT... not so much) and Amazing Grace (RH only so far).

You are really moving through the book quickly. Do you have past experience playing piano or other instruments?

I can play Scarborough Fair now, but more often than not I find myself messing up the LH, even after playing it like 100 times. Oh, and since I couldn't sing it for the life of me, I transposed Scarborough Fair from D minor down to A minor, that was great fun!

Scarborough Fair took me quite a bit of time, and like you I kept messing up the left hand until after I while I finally got it.

That D minor version doesn't suit my voice either. I think Simon & Garfunkel play it in E minor.

I'm planning two little recitals - one of slow songs, one of faster pieces.

Congratulations on your progress. Will you have much of an audience for your recitals?
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1928453 - 07/18/12 10:05 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
amirall Offline

Hi guys. This questions has probably been asked quite a few times, but does the "All-in-One" book cover everything that is in the "Lesson book" and the "Theory book" (sold separately). I am wondering which one to get, either the AiO or the two books separately, and getting the AiO is significantly cheaper than getting the two separate ones, so I was thinking that maybe there are some info left out.

Also, is the CD an important one to get as well?

#1928464 - 07/18/12 10:22 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Johnny D]
sinophilia Offline

Oops sorry for the late reply, I seem to have a hard time seeing active threads on this forum.

You are really moving through the book quickly. Do you have past experience playing piano or other instruments?

I tried to play the guitar when I was a teenager without much success, but at least I got some theory and a bit of sight-reading from that experience.
I really enjoyed Alfred 1 so that I simply started practicing more and more and things moved quicker. Just started book 2 today! (Even if I'm still polishing those last two songs...)

Congratulations on your progress. Will you have much of an audience for your recitals?

Nope, just my partner, and it will be more than enough for me to mess up everything laugh
Anyway, even though I'm definitely a shy person I can see myself playing for friends sooner or later, that's something I would really love to do.

#1928467 - 07/18/12 10:26 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: amirall]
sinophilia Offline

Originally Posted By: amirall
Also, is the CD an important one to get as well?

I can only reply on this one... I think you can do without it, since you can find all songs on YouTube.

This guy played all three books, sometimes too fast, but he's good!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL49D9E0B0D3A35FF4&feature=plcp

#1928473 - 07/18/12 10:37 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

amirall, I believe that the separate Theory book will give you more theory than the All-In-One, but the All-In-One does pretty much give you everything that the separate Lesson book has. Not sure where I picked up this idea about the theory book though; I haven't actually seen it.

You could compare the page counts to see if Lesson and Theory combined have a lot more pages than All-In-One.

There are lots of sources for theory, though, and most people seem to do the All-In-One -- or now, the newer Self-Teaching with the yellow cover.

#1928475 - 07/18/12 10:41 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
amirall Offline

can you give me the (Amazon) link to the Self-Teaching one? thanks

#1928481 - 07/18/12 10:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

#1932398 - 07/25/12 08:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
jack bauer Offline

I just started using this book and I'm so impressed by how helpful it is. What a great book.

#1933102 - 07/27/12 10:54 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: sinophilia]
Troubledclef Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I am new to this forum; I thought this would be a good place to get advice on my practice.

I am really struggling with getting through book one. I am starting over from Good People since I don't feel I ever perfected any songs since that one. Do you practice the whole song through or take one or two measures at a time and perfect that before moving on?

I do practice Tumbalalaika from book two without many problems, perhaps this is an easier song.

Edited by Troubledclef (07/27/12 12:11 PM)

#1933262 - 07/27/12 04:30 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Welcome to the forum, Troubledclef.

It is perfectly normal, and effective, to break your piece up into smaller "chunks" for practicing. If you are doing one or two measures at a time, just remember to always play the first beat of the next measure as the last note you practice. This way, when you go to stitch together your segments at a later time you won't have any hesitations at the bar lines.

As the music you take on gets more complex this chunking will part of every piece you play. Also, remember that your brain needs time to assimilate what you are learning. So don't try to race ahead.... you will literally learn while you sleep if you stay focused on smaller segements each day. I sometimes work for weeks at a time on a piece without ever trying to play it start to finish.

Enjoy the process.

Jim

You will find lots of answers for your questions here at ABF.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1933484 - 07/28/12 04:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Troubledclef]
sinophilia Offline

Hello and welcome, Troubledclef.

What I found really useful is to "deconstruct" each song and gradually add levels of difficulties, i.e. practice the right hand alone, then the left hand alone, then both together but without paying attention to dynamics or pedal (first slowly, then up to tempo), and then finally put it all together. Maybe it's just me, but as an absolute beginner I really need to take care of each aspect of a song separately at first. Plus, these songs are meant to teach you basic techniques and how to overcome specific difficulties, so it makes sense to take one's time.

#1933510 - 07/28/12 08:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Troubledclef Offline

Thanks JimF and sinophilia for your replies. Very good advise. I never thought to add the next note of the following measure but that makes a lot of sense.

I practiced only the first two measures of Good People yesterday, I do not have it perfected yet, but I hope to today. I have been inclined to skip over something that proved too difficult - I see this was a mistake.

#1934104 - 07/29/12 10:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Troubledclef Offline

I have finally gotten the notes down on Good People. I must have practiced the first two measures a couple hundred times. (My husband said it was more like a thousand, so I am not sure.) Anyway, I still play it very very slowly - so now to work on the speed.

#1934781 - 07/30/12 03:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
I just bought this book. My jazz/rock course goes hand in hand with it, so I'm swtiching from Fabers to this. I have to back pedal a bit because Fabers didn't teach any cords other than the C major. So I will be doing all the chord pages but skipping the pages in between since I covered that information already. I guess I'm going to start with a review of the C chord on page 32 then skip to page 38 for the G7 Chord. It looks like once I hit page 78, then I'll be starting new stuff to me. So here I am!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1934784 - 07/30/12 03:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

BeccaBb, since the G7 chord will be new to you, you may want to learn all the pieces from page 38 on, even if they're on material you know already. They'll include the new chords, and give you practice with them.

Page 164 of 196 < 1 2 ... 162 163 164 165 166 ... 195 196 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
98 registered (Anticlock, Art_Vandelay, 29 invisible), 1415 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156298 Topics
2295414 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tight Key ??
by moy71
28 minutes 24 seconds ago
Learning progress
by sunnyday
33 minutes 39 seconds ago
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
Yesterday at 10:44 PM
Marc-André Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission