Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
85 registered (Anita Potter, anamnesis, ando, AndyJoe, 36251, 19 invisible), 1264 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 194 of 206 < 1 2 ... 192 193 194 195 196 ... 205 206 >
Topic Options
#2302392 - 07/14/14 09:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
EnGee Offline

Loc: Auckland, NZ
AndrewAJC: Exactly what I believe and concluded these days but I need to check always with other learners and see how am I thinking/doing.
For now I think I'm doing ok and enjoying a lot the learning. I just need to buy a DP and I might also buy the paperback version of Alfred's book, because it really worth it and I can use it without the need of being 100% digital :-D

fizikisto: Thanks for mentioning this book. It seems there is only a paperback version. I tried to search for it here in NZ, but nothing yet. I doubt I can find it. I also checked if Lulu.com (funny name :-)) has e-book edition, but no luck. Anyway, I might find it in Amazon/Australia or as a kindle version one day.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2302397 - 07/14/14 10:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Loc: Central Texas
EnGee: In case you're not aware, you can use the magnifying glass to search for a word or phrase in a kindle book. That should save you some time.

We should probably start sending out invitations for Andrew's going away party next week. ha

For "Jingle Bells," I'd say if you can play it fine most of the time then you're probably ready to go to the next part in the book. The 110 bpm should be fine for "When the Saints.." I think the more important part is to play it in a marching way.

I don't try to memorize any of the songs. Just sort of happened with a few after playing them umpteen times. But all too soon I start forgetting bits and pieces if I don't keep playing it at least every other day or so. I've never been good at memorizing stuff. I'm hoping I'll get good enough at reading music to get through the songs I want to play.

earlofmar: Thanks so much for all the great information on easy classical pieces. I've made a copy of it for future reference.

Andrew: Ah, so you'll be around for another week then. grin If we need to memorize a piece in order to nail it then, well, I'm in trouble. Looks like we have different approaches. I like to start adding in the dynamics and phrasing before I have the song perfected. Well, I guess now I'll also be adding in the pedal. I'm not sure, but I think the pedal will be the last thing I add in. I'll have to do some experimenting to see what works best for me. As far as I know there's not a set way to learn a song. But of course I could be wrong. crazy

fizikisto: Thank you, I checked out her website and ordered one of her videos (#11 - Your first two classical pieces!). Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to download it so I sent her an email. Hopefully it'll get sorted out soon. I'll report back once I've had a chance to check it out.

My update: Not really much of one. I'm still going over some of the previous material and songs. Today I was focusing on good posture and hand position, and sight reading. I'm also taking the occasional break to play some non-Alfred songs.

Edited by TX-Bluebonnet (07/14/14 10:04 PM)

Started my piano journey June 2014 at age 54.
My digital piano: Casio Privia PX-850.
Working on "Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course" Book 1
XXXV

#2302457 - 07/15/14 03:43 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TX-Bluebonnet]
AndrewJCW Offline

Loc: Middle of nowhere, Australia
Made some good progress after getting a bit hangup on Lullaby.

Lullaby - tough! Didn't seem too hard at first but took a lot of practise to get consistency.

Rock it Away - Easy one! Remembering the f# in the D7 caught me out quite a bit but fairly simple rhythm/chords.

Joy to the World - Moderate. Luckily a very fun and recognizable tune made putting in some time for this one fairly painless. I just imagined I was playing to a full cathedral on Christmas Day with a 400 year old organ.

Cockles and Mussels - I cheated the fingering quite a lot with this one (ie. even more than usual for me!) but in doing made it very easy to play for me. Maybe this is badly cheating myself in the long run, I'm not sure how important it is.

Got Those Blues - Lots of notes here but really each bar is just a chord played with a set pattern. Still took quite a bit of practice, the quick G7, F chord transition being the hardest bit.

Chasing the Blues - Something about this song really annoyed me. Did not enjoy practicing it.

Blues for Wynton Marsalis - Really fun song. Still not sure I would call it blues, more like a pop song with a tiny bit of attitude, but still fun nonetheless. Took quite a lot of practise and I have huge amount of work to do on dynamics and rhythm to really get it down.

I also got my sound finally recording properly after getting a new cable down town today, and also changed my video a bit, I think it's much better quality now.

edit: I really need to learn to proof read.

Edited by AndrewAJC (07/15/14 07:32 AM)

#2302468 - 07/15/14 04:44 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
EnGee Offline

TX-Bluebonnet: Thank you. The search is working fine in Kindle! It is the first time I use Kindle (in my PC). I think I still prefer if it was a pdf file because I can print some pages while the Kindle application won't let me print anything. Yes, I know a workaround but it is not as good as a native support by the program.

Andrew is doing great. I like in the video how he plays with confidence and in a relaxing mode. Hmmm, I don't think he would leave us so soon. He still (according to my Kindle) 71% of the book. I guess he would spend another month before he go to Grade 2.

earlofmar: Thank you for your suggestions. I have just bought "The Joy of First Classics - 1" (the kindle version). I couldn't see it because Kindle gives me error downloading it! But I will see what I can do.
Hmmm, it seems it is not compatible with Windows 8! I could see it in Kindle Cloud but it is with a small font and can't zoom in!! I think I will return it for a refund. [sigh] I was very excited to start with it. I think it is better to buy the paperback tomorrow from the city.

#2302550 - 07/15/14 11:26 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
gravity blues Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hi there!

I've started playing the piano about 4 months ago, and I'm also working on Alfred! At first it went really smooth (I already knew how to read music scores, since I used to play the saxophone) but I'm currently progressing very slowly. I'm at Chiapanecas now. What do you guys do when you're kind of stuck on a song. Move on or just exercise it until you're going crazy?

PS: English is not my native language so I already apologize for grammar and spelling mistakes...

#2302595 - 07/15/14 02:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Andrew: Nice job with the better video/audio quality. I watched some of your videos last night and will look at some more tonight. On "Cockles and Mussels," are you holding the bass chords through the rests? It sort of looks like it, but hard to tell. BTW, I like your commentary on each song.

EnGee: It sounds like classical music is having a hard time with modern technology. Hope you get it sorted out.

Gravity blues: Welcome to PianoWorld and the Alfred's Basic ... Book 1 thread. How long have you been stuck on that song? What kind of problem are you having with it? Maybe you almost have it perfect and it's time to move on? Some more information would be helpful. Just don't go making yourself crazy.

XXXV

#2302597 - 07/15/14 02:17 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Barry1963 and JayG42: If you guys are still around, how 'bout stopping by and letting us know how you're doing.

XXXV

#2302773 - 07/15/14 09:18 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TX-Bluebonnet]
AndrewJCW Offline

Originally Posted By: TX-Bluebonnet
Andrew: Nice job with the better video/audio quality. I watched some of your videos last night and will look at some more tonight. On "Cockles and Mussels," are you holding the bass chords through the rests? It sort of looks like it, but hard to tell.

I think you're giving me too much credit, if that is the worst mistake I made it's probably one of the more accurate ones I've done. grin Out of all the things I'm sloppiest about I think RH note length is one of the worst, I think it's because I'm still very much in the guitarist mindset of 'play it however you want, but use the music as a guide'.

Last night I went through the book again working up to my current position. Very satisfying going through old songs that gave you trouble.

Welcome Gravity. You're at the business end of the book and I think you'll find most people here are behind you. I find finding a balance between banging your head against something and doing other piano things a fine one, but also necessary.

If I spend 20 mins on the one song I might persevere to 30 mins if I feel I'm making progress, but also other times after 5 mins I've had enough and will do some scales or some other easy songs or material I've got lying around.

Also jumping ahead in the book and spending 5 mins on a more advanced song is fun. The goal being not to learn it properly but at least play the melody and get the feel for it or see what the LH is doing etc.

My process is to do a song until I can record it without any massive blunders, and then move on to the next one. This usually requires an ability to play through a song 4-5 times in a row without mistake with a recorder off until you can play through it once with a recorder on! This is a good way for me to make sure I play somewhat competently even songs I don't like and systematically work through the book akin to how a teacher might guide you. One of the pitfalls of self learning is progressing too fast and only focusing on things you like, not things you need to focus on. Not at all saying this applies to you, just in my own experience.

Anyway, whatever works for you! Keep us updated on your progress.

#2302796 - 07/15/14 10:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: AndrewJCW]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Originally Posted By: AndrewAJC
Andrew:On "Cockles and Mussels," are you holding the bass chords through the rests? It sort of looks like it, but hard to tell.
I think you're giving me too much credit, if that is the worst mistake I made it's probably one of the more accurate ones I've done. grin
I think I understood that. laugh I got a chance to watch some more of your videos. I liked that last blues song and "On Top of spaghetti Old Smoky." You seemed like you were having fun with those. I've tried a couple times to do an audio recording of myself and I can't do it without goofing it up. I imagine I'd be even worse if it was a video recording.

Well, tonight I took a stab at "Beautiful Brown Eyes" on page 65. I think I'm going to do OK with that one. I just need to smooth it out and get it up to tempo. Oh wait. I just realized I hadn't tried adding in the pedal yet. That's going to take some getting used to. I'll work on it tomorrow, see how it goes.

Edited by TX-Bluebonnet (07/15/14 10:10 PM)

XXXV

#2303141 - 07/16/14 06:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TX-Bluebonnet]
AndrewJCW Offline

I've tried a couple times to do an audio recording of myself and I can't do it without goofing it up. I imagine I'd be even worse if it was a video recording.

Typically I get the song good enough to play through 3 or 4 times right through then I hit record and give myself 5 mins to get a clear take. I don't think I've ever gotten it first go. Usually I play through it once with record on at a much slower tempo then I practised, then that gets your confidence up so you do it at proper speed... then you screw up the last bar and have to do it all again. grin It's fun though and there's a great sense of accomplishment in uploading a piece, even if only 3 people ever watch it!

I'm currently stuck on Good People. It's really different to all the other songs so far, you could almost call it jazzy! I think it's gotten into my head a bit as 'too hard' but in theory it shouldn't be. I do love the sound of the chromatic runs though and don't mind persevering with this one.

I'm also trying to learn a classical style piece that is probably way too hard for me, but it's certainly fun trying. I want to play it for the forum recital so that gives me 30 days to get it. In some ways that sounds like a huge amount of time but in other ways I feel like a need 100 days hah!

Edited by AndrewAJC (07/16/14 08:46 PM)

#2303202 - 07/16/14 11:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Andrew, for your recordings, are you saying you chop off the beginning out-takes? If I can do it that way then maybe I can figure out how to edit a recording. It's the repeatedly starting all over again (and again) that made me stop trying.

I was hoping to get "Beautiful Brown Eyes" finished today, but looks like I need to give it another day of practice in order to get it up to tempo.

I took a look at "Good People." That's all. I got no advise for you, sorry. BTW, I also have the Self-Teaching book, and "Good People" is not in it. Makes me wonder why they decided to leave it out.

As for that classical piece you're working on, I saw your post about it in another thread. That song sounds really nice, and I enjoyed watching the video of it. You seem to learn quickly, so maybe you can get it done for this upcoming recital. If not, there's always the next one.

XXXV

#2303277 - 07/17/14 07:39 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Pete R Offline

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
Hi all,
I'm Pete, from Adelaide, Australia.
I'm new to piano, so I'm probably in the right place here.
I'm about half way through my Alfred's basic Adult book one (page 76, Chiapanecas)
Do you guys & gals know if there is much difference between my book & the "all in one " that you are all working from?

#2303299 - 07/17/14 09:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Offline

I did it! grin Sort of. At any rate I'm going to move on from 'Good People'. It's frustrated me no end for two days. I wouldn't say I'm its master yet but we have a healthy respect for each other at least. I actually really like the tune but I've played it probably 100 times in 2 days and I've be happy if I don't hear it for another week at least.

Next up 'Little Brown Jug'. I really hope this one is easier.

Bluebonnnet Yes, I cut the recording afterwards. I use a webcam and the bundled logitech software it came with to take the video, which is normally 5-10 mins, then I chuck it into Movie Maker (which is a free program you can get if you're on a PC, although mac also has good free options too I believe) and find the take I want to keep and cut 5 seconds either side. Pretty straightforward.

Good luck finishing off Beautiful Brown Eyes, it is one that gave me trouble too.

Pete Welcome! As far as I know the books are very similar. There is handful of songs that are different and the All in One has some extra stuff as well, like random pages on music theory and technique exercises. Some of these have blank question sections that you can pencil in answers too.

You're one page ahead of me in my (all in one) book. You can check out the playlist in my youtube channel for a list of all the songs in the All in One book as well. I don't think I've skipped any yet.

Edited by AndrewAJC (07/17/14 09:15 AM)

#2303309 - 07/17/14 09:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
JayG42 Offline

Bluebonnet - it seems like we're making similar progress. I'm at the Alpine Melody and just when I thought I was doing well for picking that one up quickly, I realized that I was supposed to use the Damper pedal. That really adds another layer to the difficulty. Anyway, I'm almost through with that one.

One thing that is really annoying me is that for my job I tend to travel a good amount (in the next two weeks I'll be traveling Monday - Friday), so I won't be able to practice - I'll be stuck. I have a small Casio keyboard that I started on. It's small enough that I can pack it in my travel bag, but I'm wondering if it might do more harm than good. The scale is definitely smaller than normal and the keys are definitely not weighted..any thoughts?

#2303488 - 07/17/14 06:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: JayG42]
AndrewJCW Offline

I would definitely be practising on anything available. I think pianists in general over react to crap keyboards. Of course you should be learning on the best available to you but the idea that an adult beginner would go backwards and not forwards from a couple of weeks on playing a crappy keyboard is nuts to me.

Take it this way, if a beginner guitarist could only play a toy ukulele everyday for a week, would I still recommend them do it? Absolutely. Any danger of ingraining bad techniques pales compared to the danger of falling out of the habit or losing interest altogether for a beginner!

#2303551 - 07/17/14 11:41 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Pete: Hello and welcome! Are you working on "Chiapanecas" now, or are you done with it?

I'm not familiar with the Alfred's book you have, but here's the blurb for the All-In-One version:
Alfred's Basic Adult All-in-One Course is designed for use with an instructor for the beginning student looking for a truly complete piano course. It is a greatly expanded version of Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course that will include lesson, theory, technic and additional repertoire in a convenient, "all-in-one" format. This comprehensive course adds such features as isometric hand exercises, finger strengthening drills, and written assignments that reinforce each lesson's concepts. There is a smooth, logical progression between each lesson, a thorough explanation of chord theory and playing styles, and outstanding extra songs, including folk, classical, and contemporary selections. At the completion of this course, the student will have learned to play some of the most popular music ever written and will have gained a good understanding of basic musical concepts and styles.

Andrew: Congrats! I also like the tune, and I'm not exactly a fan of the blues style.

Thanks for the recording/editing information. I apparently was going about it all wrong. I went ahead and bought a webcam and will try it out. I don't plan on posting any videos online, but think it might come in handy to see myself playing.

How's your recital piece coming along?

Jay: I agree with you about the pedal adding another layer. Hard to believe at this point that it'll eventually become second nature.

As for whether or not to take your small keyboard on your travels, I'm not sure. Maybe like Andy said, anything is better than nothing. Then again, when I recently upgraded to a better DP I was surprised how different my new DP's keyboard action was. It caught me totally off guard and took a while to get used to. And I chose to go back in the book to redo songs I'd considered done that I had learned on my first DP. But even so, the more I think about, if I were traveling I'd want something to play on everyday. So if you decide to take your little keyboard, don't forget your headphones.

My update: I'm done with "Beautiful Brown Eyes." Right now I'm practicing the C major chord for the right hand. It kind of threw me that the left and right hand positions aren't the same for that chord. I did make an attempt at "Alpine Melody" today, but not being able to sight-read better is slowing me down. So that's something I definitely need to focus on.

XXXV

#2303828 - 07/18/14 07:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Pete R Offline

Hi again,
Chiapanecas is a 'work in progress' at the moment:

I started learning piano in about September last year, and got as far as Chiapanecas back in Febuary, but then I put this book down, as my teacher advised me to start practicing for my first exam.
Here in Australia we have an exam board called AMEB (Australian Music Examination Board).
I spent a few months getting ready for that, but now it's over, I have decided to pick up, with Alfred's where I left it.
I am still waiting for the exam results to be posted. (Fingers crossed on the result...)

Im practicing 'Little brown Jug' & Chiapanecas this week.
I am struggling with timing of the broken cords along with the melody on the right hand the most, but a week or two more should hopefully set me straight.

When I started my journey into the piano world last year, I bought myself a Yamaha p105, which is great, but I decided that I really wanted an acoustic piano, so 4 weeks ago my new Yamaha Silent Piano arrived.
I love it !

#2303842 - 07/18/14 08:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
maleco Offline

Hi, I think that another great course for beginners like us is this: http://bit.ly/UgewEO is cheap and very helpful!

Edited by maleco (07/18/14 08:58 PM)

#2303895 - 07/19/14 12:13 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Pete, when will you get your exam results? Is the purpose of the exam to determine if you're at a particular skill level?

Those 2 songs look scarey to me. I'm just starting on "Alpine Melody." Hopefully you'll get it figured out soon enough.

And congratulations on your new piano. I really like the looks of the Yamaha pianos. Did you get an upright or a grand?

XXXV

#2303913 - 07/19/14 01:55 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Pete R Offline

Hi Linda,
Why did I take it? I guess I like to test myself and give myself set tangible goals. The purpose of the exam (for me) was to encourage to attain a certain level.
I think the exam had good points and bad points too:
On the good side, it got my to practice 3 pieces of music until they were very polished, encourage me to practice my scales very regularly, & to perform ( for the first time ) in front of a stranger, which is good for the nerves!

On the bad side, I felt that I could have spent more time learning 'different stuff', abet not as well, but I spent many weeks trying to make the exam pieces sound good.

As for results, they should be posted to my teacher reasonably soon. but I don't have a result date, so to speak.

I did make a couple of blunders, on my exam, but to be honest, I probably played about where I am, at the moment.
I am assuming that I passed, but pass or fail, I still enjoyed the exam and practicing for it.
I think, once I have finished Alfred's book 1, I may start thinking about the next exam...

The new piano is an Upright U3 silent. It's new to me, but not brand new.
For anyone who doesn't know, a silent piano, is a regular acoustic piano, but with the option of lifting a bar using the centre pedal, which prevents the hammers touching the strings. You can then plug in headphones, and play the piano, in the same fashion as an digital piano. It's great for me, as I like to play before I leave for work in the mornings (5am) when I would otherwise soon become divorced if playing in the normal way at that time of day ! ;-)

Edited by Pete R (07/19/14 02:01 AM)

#2304102 - 07/19/14 04:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

I like the idea of setting tangible goals and going for them. Unfortunately, all of mine are based on the Alfred's book, completing each song that I judge myself on. I've seen where people have asked, "What level am I finish the first book." I suppose there's no way of really knowing without taking the type of exam that you did.

Perfecting 3 pieces songs pieces sounds like quite a challenge to me. I'll bet you learned a lot more doing that than you realize.

Kudos for getting up to play before going to work. I can't imagine doing that myself. I can't even get myself to get up to run in the cooler morning temps. No, instead I end up running in the high heat of a Texas summer afternoon.

XXXV

#2304563 - 07/20/14 09:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Hope everybody's enjoying the weekend and fitting in some piano practice. I spent some time today on "Alpine Melody" and trying to make my chords sound better. Maybe I should try out those Hanon exercises that are in the book, and see if they help any. I'm open to any advise or tips.

XXXV

#2304575 - 07/20/14 10:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Offline

I haven't made much progress but still got some decent time in practising split between the next few songs I'm up to, the recital piece and scales.

I was getting some discomfort in my wrists and changed my setup, and then was getting pain in my back. Maybe I just need to work through it but also going to be pretty careful the next few days.

#2304681 - 07/21/14 04:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
EnGee Offline

Good to hear that everyone is progressing in his/her way :-)

I finally could get a digital piano (Yippee!!). I tried Jingle Bells of course and it was easier to play with the weighted keys :-) I didn't feel I need to repeat the previous exercises as I have adopted quickly to the feel. Still, I can't control the amount of velocity in a good way.

I'm keep going slow through the lessons with the same time spent (half an hour with the other tutorial and half an hour with Alfred's book). Maybe because of that I don't feel any pain in my fingers or wrist!

I bought two other (Kindle! :-D) books. One is "A First book of classical Music" and the other one is "Junior Hanon". It is very possible I will extend my daily practice time so I add these two materials (I think 15 mins each is enough).

#2304701 - 07/21/14 06:57 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Pete R Offline

Yea to me smile
Exam results are in:
I scored an 'A' in my first AMEB piano exam !

### Happy Dance ###

#2304760 - 07/21/14 09:55 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Offline

Grats Peter on the result and EnGee on the digital piano! Which one did you end up getting? Keep us updated with how you find the supplemental books as well.

#2305115 - 07/21/14 10:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Andrew: Definitely take it easy for a bit, and hopefully you'll be able to sort out what's causing the discomfort. I've had some minor discomfort also in my wrists and back, which in my case I believe is tension related. So I try to relax, but easier said than done.

EnGee: Congrats on getting your new DP. I'm surprised you find it easier to play with weighted keys. That's great though that you adapted quickly, I'm sure you're glad to say goodbye to "Jingle Bells."

Pete: Congratulations for passing the exam, and with an 'A' no less! You sound quite pleased with yourself, as you should be. And I'm sure you made your teacher proud.

Me: Used up most of my practice today trying to improve my technique on "Alpine Melody." I didn't get around to trying out the Hanon exercises yet. That's next on my list, though.

XXXV

#2305197 - 07/22/14 03:06 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
EnGee Offline

Thanks Andrew and Linda :-)

I got a used Casio PX-5S (almost new in reality) but without the watch (hihi!). Never mind, I have a Casio watch so I can wear it and play the keyboard like those who appear in YouTube :-D

I wasn't very surprised for the keys feel because I have tried the piano feel once long time ago. It was upright piano. As I remember now, the upright piano had a better feel and sound (Maybe because it had a wooden keys). Anyway, Casio did a great job in the quality/feel of the keys. Although noisy, but with very good feel and built (the texture of ivory and ebony is very nice).

I like the books that I mentioned. I don't know when I start playing them, but I already wrote the first piece of the classics(Minuet by Bach) in the notation program and also the first exercise of Hanon junior. I think they are in my level. I usually write the pieces then play them again and again till I get the feel of the piece, then try to play it again and again.

Alfred's book is my primary source, but not the only one. I have the e-media piano tutorial level one as another primary source for learning. I might buy a complementary tutorial which called "EarMaster Pro 6" and extend the daily study to two hours :-)

Well, I hope all are doing fine. Sorry, I can't comment on your progress because I'm still in the beginning, but I hope you can take your time and learn slowly.

#2305250 - 07/22/14 08:21 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
EnGee,
For what it is worth, I love ear master pro. I think it is well worth the $50 or whatever. I still use it about 15 min every day to warm up my ear before I practice. Be advised, if you don't already have a great ear it can be REALLY frustrating at first. When I first started with the exercises I felt like, "I'm just guessing, this is impossible!" Slowly but surely I made real progress with it, and it's really helped open up my ear. Now it's almost like a fun game. But just be aware that it can feel like banging your head against the wall until your brain starts to get it. Stick with it, and I think it will help you a lot though. Highly commended. smile

#2305265 - 07/22/14 09:29 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: fizikisto]
EnGee Offline

Thanks fizikisto for your opinion. I guessed it is a good program . I'm using their other software (Piano method) and already learnt a lot. It complement perfectly Alfred's book.

Ouch! It will be then REALLY frustrating with EarMaster! As it is now with the staff reading (I still sometimes counting F A C E or All Cows ...etc). I'm even worst in identifying the notes when hearing them (snif!)
I have escaped more than 10 years from all that and I have decided now to loose 5 years from my life doing it right (trying!).

I'm glad that my way of thinking is similar to some persons here in this forum :-)

Page 194 of 206 < 1 2 ... 192 193 194 195 196 ... 205 206 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just to say "Hello"
by JennyS
11/27/14 05:33 AM
Dyslexia and reading the rhythm
by Nahum
11/27/14 04:18 AM
Wanted to give jazz a chance, reverting back to classical
by Artur Gajewski
11/27/14 03:31 AM
anyone... listening to Greek Radio?
by Nikolas
11/27/14 12:38 AM
Weber piano sonatas: a "hidden" treasure
by jeffreyjones
11/27/14 12:32 AM
Forum Stats
77065 Members
42 Forums
159390 Topics
2341397 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission