Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 197 of 205 < 1 2 ... 195 196 197 198 199 ... 204 205 >
Topic Options
#2310641 - 08/03/14 02:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
DancerJ
There's a guy who makes a lot of them that has his own youtube channel. You can see a ton of them there.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MajorVsMinor/videos

Warm Regards smile

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2310746 - 08/03/14 07:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
DancerJ Online   content

Thank you.

#2310757 - 08/03/14 08:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TX-Bluebonnet]
EnGee Offline

Loc: Auckland, NZ
Originally Posted By: TX-Bluebonnet

The key signature (is that the same as scale?) on the piece I'll be playing is mostly G major, but 1 section is C major, and another section is D major. The chords are C, G, & D7.

I think so. Well, fizikisto has explained it in detail (Thanks a lot smile )

Is your piece "Blow the Man Down" in Alfred's book? If it is, then I think it is C Major. Good luck with it. I will hear your piece when the recital is closed smile

#2310801 - 08/03/14 11:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Loc: Central Texas
I've almost got "Blow the Man Down!" completed. Just a couple of measures that I need to get smoothed out and at tempo. I also spent some time today practicing a recital piece, but didn't make very much progress with it.

Mandy: What's a shame is I wasted a nice chunk of the day trying to figure out what the problem is. And, unfortunately, I think I made it worse in the process.

Pete R: You can read all submitting a recital piece on the recital thread.

fizikisto:
Thanks for all that. If I understand correctly you're saying you can't reverse engineer the key signature to determine the scale it's built on. I haven't reached the section in the Alfred's book where they start talking about scales. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I get to that point. But at least now I've gotten a glimpse of what's involved.

EnGee: My recital piece is called Rondo. I'm not sure I have enough time to finish it, so maybe BTMD! will be something to fall back on. Either that or one of the other songs in the book.

Started my piano journey June 2014 at age 54.
My digital piano: Casio Privia PX-850.
Working on "Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course" Book 1
XXXV

#2310811 - 08/03/14 11:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tx-bluebonnet
Well, the key signature gives you big clues. Most music is either going to be in the major or minor key associated with the key signature. So it's usually not hard to figure out what key a song is in based on the key signature. Mainly you can look at the chords which dominate in the piece, and especially look at the first and final chords used in the song. That will give you clues. When you start playing pieces in different keys, you'll also learn about the main chords used in those keys. That's covered pretty well in the Alfred's method, so when you get to that material in the Alfred's book, it's worth paying attention to. smile

#2310817 - 08/03/14 11:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tx-Bluebonnet
By the way, I remember when I first started playing in different keys, I was really frustrated that I kept forgetting to sharp or flat the appropriate notes. I did come up with something that helped me a lot. I would make a photocopy of the score and mark over those notes with a red highlighter (the color doesn't matter, I just happened to have a red one handy smile. I marked up photocopies because later I would play from the original score without the cheat. I viewed it like training wheels. Eventually you don't need to use the cheat anymore, even on new music. But I think it really helped me out. I mention it just in case the idea might be useful to someone else. smile

#2310898 - 08/04/14 07:52 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MandyD Offline

Loc: Australia
That's a really good idea fizikisto. I might have to try that myself. smile

#2310920 - 08/04/14 09:12 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: MandyD]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE
I asked my teacher the exact same question last week. Her response was basically "no problem - for now. Eventually after some amount of time that should no longer be necessary".
Upcoming: Faber - Funiculý, FuniculÓ

#2310931 - 08/04/14 09:58 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Thanks again, fizikisto. I will definitely pay close attention when I come to the scales section. As for highlighting sharps and flats, I'd actually already made a copy of this particular piece and did just that the other day. I didn't do it to begin with because I thought it was considered cheating. blush But the reason I ended up doing it was because at some point while learning the piece I realized I'd forgotten about the sharps! Which of course I had to unlearn. frown I do like the idea of thinking of it as "training wheels." smile

Brian, it's nice to know other teachers don't see it as an issue. I can only focus on so many things at a time, so the highlighting for now will be helpful.

XXXV

#2311139 - 08/04/14 07:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Offline

Loc: Middle of nowhere, Australia
Spent the weekend away at a wedding but finally back now. Good to see the thread is still chugging along with tips and encouragement. I'm working on 'The Stranger' which is a really nice little tune but jumps around quite a lot and is proving a little tricky. Hopefully get it recorded in the next day or two. Also my AIO Level 2 and beginner jazz and blues books should get here in the next couple of days so looking forward to that as well.

I think I'm going to focus on everything but the recital until I have about 2 days to go and then just pick and polish something I know I can do. I don't think I'll gain much by working furiously on the piece I originally chose, it's just too difficult at this stage.

#2311638 - 08/05/14 07:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Help! I caught myself humming "Blow the Man Down!" at work today!! I'm actually able to play it at a decent tempo now, so I am moving on to "Lone Star Waltz." Then hopefully I'll be able to get that BTMD! tune out of my head!

Andrew:
I don't know that song, "The Stranger," so looking forward to your video of it. As for backing off your original recital piece, I can relate. I started out alright on the piece I chose, but then I sort of hit a wall and haven't made any progress on it in the last couple of days. I'm going to work on it some tonight and see how it goes. It's not the end of the world if we don't get something in on this recital. There's always the next one. smile

XXXV

#2312185 - 08/07/14 12:31 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

I've started working on "Lone Star Waltz" today and I have to say I'm not liking it much. For one thing, it doesn't sound anything like a waltz. At least not the way I'm playing it. grin

How's everybody else doing with their Alfred's progress?

XXXV

#2312257 - 08/07/14 06:06 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MandyD Offline

I haven't got as far as Lone Star yet, I'm struggling a bit with Kum-Ba-Yah. I attempted Michael Row the Boat Ashore and Blow the Man Down but BTMD is still a bit beyond me & I'm sure what I was playing sounded nothing like it is meant to sound. I'm going to You tube it so I can have a listen to what it should actually sound like as I find this helps me a bit.

#2312284 - 08/07/14 07:30 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: MandyD]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Good tip. I use YouTube all of the time to see how certain pieces are supposed (according to the pianist) to sound. There are lots of videos for the Alfred's series.

#2312317 - 08/07/14 08:29 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MandyD Offline

Isn't it great! I would be lost without them and I certainly wouldn't be as far as I am at this time without them. Every time I watch one I am so grateful to the people who have sacrificed their time to put them up. On and I had a giggle at your "supposed to sound" comment - in my case it's so very true lol!

#2312335 - 08/07/14 09:08 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Offline

I wasn't much a fan of Lone Star Walt either. Good luck with it. I'm having a lot of fun putting things on YouTube, even if not many people ever see it it's fun to be out there in the public. It doesn't take much effort once you get used to the programs and equipment you use. By far the hardest bit is playing the right notes!

I have my first lesson with a teacher tomorrow. Quite excited!

Edited by AndrewJCW (08/07/14 09:09 AM)

#2312336 - 08/07/14 09:08 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: MandyD]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

The reason I put that caveat in there, is that I have found many of the videos I've looked at as I have started to learn a piece have turned out to be played incorrectly, at least in my teacher's view! shocked

As always let the buyer beware...

#2312338 - 08/07/14 09:10 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: AndrewJCW]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AndrewJCW
I have my first lesson with a teacher tomorrow. Quite excited!

You should be! smile Hopefully it will be the start of a great personal journey. Even after 11 months I still remember every little detail of my first lesson.

#2312340 - 08/07/14 09:12 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Offline

Yes often the timing and dynamics are totally off even if they get all the notes and tempo right. I can see this on my own looking back at them. It is usually beginners playing them after all. smile

#2312632 - 08/07/14 07:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Offline

Well I just had my first lesson, not sure quite what to think yet. My teacher didn't even open the Alfred's book! I played a few songs and he's got me working on chord voicings (by practising I IV V progressions in C and G) and the e major scale. Also to learn the song autumn leaves just bass note and melody by heart.

He has a fantastic collection of keyboards, pianos and organs packed into a studio. I am convinced he loves music and is a very friendly guy, I guess it'll take a while to work out how good of a teacher he is for me.

He also didn't say anything about my technique or posture, maybe he's working out how I take criticism before letting me have it...

#2312640 - 08/07/14 08:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

AndrewJCW,
That does seem unusual to me. Did the two of you discuss his approach at all? or what you would be learning from him? Or what your musical goals are? It sounds like he's teaching you more of a jazz based approach than a classical approach. Are you interested in that? Is he teaching you to read music? or Playing by ear? Or playing from lead sheets?

The other questions apart from that is, Are you actually learning what he's teaching from you? It might be worth keeping an open mind to see what he has to offer, but if you have some specific goals there's no shame in finding someone else if he's not going to help you meet them. Or maybe it's possible to do both.

Warm Regards

#2312704 - 08/07/14 11:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MandyD Offline

I've seen some of your clips Andrew and once again, thank you for posting them. I hope the teacher works out for you as well.

I had a go at Lone Star today after playing BTMD much better than yesterday. I figure if everyday I keep pushing myself a bit further as well as going over the other stuff I have to eventually get the older stuff right (well hopefully anyway!)

#2312712 - 08/08/14 12:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

I'm still working on "Lone Star Waltz" but have to admit I'm not giving it 100%. I also went back and reviewed some of the previous songs, and worked a bit on a recital piece even though it's most likely going to end up in the December recital instead of this upcoming one. I'm not sure if all that counts as 'practice' or not, but at least it's time spent on the piano.

Mandy:
I don't know if you'll have the same experience as I did with BTMD, but once I really got the hang of it, it's sort of become rather addictive.

Andrew: The way you described your first lesson would make me wonder as well. I'd like a teacher that cares about posture, technique, dynamics, proper pedaling, and all that other stuff, even if (in my case) I have no desire to get into the heavy classical pieces.

XXXV

#2312769 - 08/08/14 03:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Offline

fizikisto It might be a jazz/classical type of thing. This teacher is well known in town as a great jazz pianist and although he has a lot of classical students maybe when I introduced myself and said I'm interested in all types of music he might have just heard JAZZ! grin

I think for myself Jazz might be where I'm headed anyway, in that I really want to understand music and improvise and play in bands with other people. I want to feel able and equipped to tackle classical or complex solo pieces from sheet music as well, but it's not my main focus, or dream of how I'll be playing piano in the future.

Anyway, I enjoyed the lesson and will be sure to continue at least for a while. It was only 30 mins and honestly it felt like 3 minutes, it's really not enough time to really meet someone for the first time and talk and cover much.

MandyD Thanks for checking out my videos. Let me know if you have any suggestions for how I can improve them or things to do in the future. There is no doubt, you will inevitably get the old stuff right if you practice it!

Linda Time spent on the piano is certainly practice (I guess as long as you're not just sitting on it). I've found exploring non Alfred things has been a great help in progressing in Alfred's.

I agree about BTMD and other snappy songs like The Can Can and Got Those Blues there's a real fun in tearing through them quickly once you've got them worked out. Inflicting a little revenge on them for the trouble they caused you if you will.

I finally got The Stranger fairly down after practise for about 3 days. I'd done a decent amount of practice on the next two over the past week and have them recorded as well. It's great to be making some progress again.

Here's my Go Down Moses take. This is one of my favourite songs from choir, I'd love to learn a proper arrangement
of it one day. This bit in the book is just the intro, the rest of the song has a real cool groove to it.

I'm now onto Scarborough Fair which I think is really getting into the end songs of the book, and I think will be a big challenge. Should be fun...

See this is what I'm talking about!!! Anyone keen? grin grin

Edited by AndrewJCW (08/08/14 07:25 AM)

#2313180 - 08/08/14 09:01 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MandyD Offline

Wow that Let My People Go was amazing, what a gifted man. I love that this forum exposes me to songs I would never have listened it in a million years.

I've been a bit slack today and haven't got on the piano yet. I might go and mow the lawns and do some gardening and see if that inspires me to sit down and polish off BTMD lol. I did have a feeble attempt at Cafe Vienna last night, but it made me realize that I am rushing through the book too much. SO I decided to slow down and try and get my foundations a bit stronger first before moving on any further.

#2313232 - 08/08/14 11:29 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Well at least I can now say the "Lone Star Waltz" is mostly there and it's actually starting to grow on me. I didn't notice until today that the first couple of lines are supposed to be played 8va the 2nd time around. Oops, I thought I was paying better attention. So aside from re-working that section I'll probably take another day or two to work on the dynamics.

Andrew: Nice videos. You're really on a roll and almost to the end of the book. Have you received your 2nd level book yet?

Mandy: Wow, you've really bounded ahead there. Yesterday you said BTMD was still beyond you and now you're talking about polishing it off today. Almost makes me wish I had a garden for inspiration, but I've killed enough plants in my lifetime.

XXXV

#2313272 - 08/09/14 03:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MandyD Offline

Woops I probably shouldn't have said polishing it off, I played it heaps and heaps last night until I think I nearly had it, but I'm no further today lol. But yes I think I was bounding ahead much quicker than what I should have been. So needless to say I've decided to go slower now and really concentrate on learning the songs properly instead of getting sick of them and rushing onto the next one. blush

#2313390 - 08/09/14 11:29 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
LoganWahl Offline

Hi there everyone! I've been watching this thread for a few days and all of you are so inspiring, so I decided to take the plunge and buy Alfred's Adult All-in-One Level 1. I've been very inconsistent with my self-teaching, but I'm hoping that if I stay active in this forum, it will prompt me to stay in the mode, as I truly do enjoy learning. I'm currently on page 27, working on harmonic intervals. Still a long way from some of you folks, but progress is progress.

I look forward to sharing my journey with all of you!

#2313494 - 08/09/14 04:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Another hot day here in Texas. Mostly staying indoors today with the a/c, doing chores and taking occasional breaks to practice/play the piano. Currently working on 3 potential recital pieces, trying to decide which one I can get the most polished by the deadline. I have such a hard time making decisions sometimes. blush Oh, and I need to run out and buy a microphone and see if I can sort out the sound issues I'm having with my recordings. I guess I should try to get that done today.

Mandy: I can certainly understand wanting to keep going ahead like that. In the all-in-one book there are about 26 more songs for me to learn. I'm going to try to pace myself and spread that out over the next 6 months to allow time to practice and absorb each new concept as it comes along. That would put me at about 8 months to get through the whole book. Or more likely longer since I want to start adding in more outside pieces to work on.

Logan: Hello and welcome to PW and the Alfred's thread. Definitely keep coming back here. I find it helps me a lot, even if it's to post nothing more than a comment that I did some practice that day. You can also sign up to MYOD where you pledge to play or practice the piano on a daily basis, even if it's only for 5 minutes. There are also quarterly recitals and themed recitals, and so on to help give us something to work toward. I don't know why, but I find these badge-type challenges very motivating. Yeah, even at my age. grin

XXXV

#2313570 - 08/09/14 08:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Offline

Welcome Logan. Always great to see new people joining in. I feel like a bit of an old hand of the thread now even though I've only been in it for a few pages!

I've been working on Scarborough Fair, it's not too bad but there's a couple of tricky bits that I seem to enjoy stuffing up regardless of how much I practice.

I did a bit of scanning the next few songs last night. Raisins and Almonds has a very similar feel and sound to Scarborough Fair so it should be fairly straightforward.

He's Got The Whole World in His Hands looks intimidating but was actually very easy. It's just a simple melody played in three different keys. I'm pretty confident it won't take long.

After that is The Entertainer, which I can tell is going to take a lot of work. I can play it on guitar but I don't think that will be much help. Still, it's a fun song so looking forward to learning it.

I did get my books last week Linda! I got Alfred's two which I haven't really looked at, I still have about 8 songs left in Book 1, so I've got plenty to focus on there for now. Hopefully I can finish in 2-3 weeks but it's possible some of the songs really trip me up and just one song takes a week.

The beginner jazz/blues books seem a little complex for now, and there's tons of theory and stuff mixed in so I think I'll leave them for a bit now.

The Big Book of Beginner Piano Classics is very cool. It's all old classical music and it looks super easy, much easier than the music I'm up to in Alfred's book 1 but it's very deceptive. I've been working on just one of the songs, Air on a G string, and I assume it's a very simplified version of it, but it's still very tricky. It looks like a great book though and will be fun to learn some classical music even if it's really stripped down. I plan on putting them on youtube as I learn them too. There is some more advanced stuff in there too which I assume I'm probably at least 3-4 months away from attempting even though it's a 'beginner' book.

I think I've worked out what I'm doing for the recital. Scarborough Fair and Raisins and Almonds are so similar I can just join them into one big song! They have different feels but flow nicely into each other. It will be tough getting them up to standard by the end of the week so that I can play through both in one take but I think I'll have enough time.

Page 197 of 205 < 1 2 ... 195 196 197 198 199 ... 204 205 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anything better than a Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
10/23/14 01:40 PM
Uneven piano keys
by shah
10/23/14 08:57 AM
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
10/23/14 03:43 AM
Grigory Sokolov releases album
by wimpiano
10/23/14 03:11 AM
Lindblad Steinway rebuilt pianos
by brahms
10/23/14 02:54 AM
Who's Online
142 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, ajames, anotherscott, 35 invisible), 1584 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76623 Members
42 Forums
158440 Topics
2326813 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission