Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 198 of 203 < 1 2 ... 196 197 198 199 200 202 203 >
Topic Options
#2313586 - 08/09/14 09:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: AndrewJCW]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Hey Andrew, I think I have that same Big Book of Beginner's Piano Classics (83 Favorite Pieces in Easy P8iano Arrangements). I've only tried a couple of the pieces in there so far, "Minuet" on pg 1 and "Ode to Joy" on pg 17. I did those a while ago, but now that I've opened up the book again I want to give some other ones a try. I'll be looking for your youtube videos of the pieces you play from this book.

Interesting idea to play a couple of songs as one. I'm sure it'll turn out great. I went for a walk this evening and while I was out strolling along and thinking about my recital list I decided I should definitely forget about the hardest one, so now I'm down to two possibilities. That's progress, right? laugh

Started my piano journey June 2014 at age 54.
My digital piano: Casio Privia PX-850.
Working on "Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course" Book 1

XXXV

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2313611 - 08/09/14 10:29 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Offline

Loc: Middle of nowhere, Australia
Yeah it's tough. I think in the end trying to do something too hard and then bombing out and not submitting anything at all would be far worse than just doing something you think is too easy for you.

#2313876 - 08/10/14 03:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: AndrewJCW]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE
Originally Posted By: AndrewJCW
I think I've worked out what I'm doing for the recital. Scarborough Fair and Raisins and Almonds are so similar I can just join them into one big song! They have different feels but flow nicely into each other. It will be tough getting them up to standard by the end of the week so that I can play through both in one take but I think I'll have enough time.

This discussion brings back some good memories. I played Raisins and Almonds at my first recital in 1990 in front of 100+ people. It went well. smile

2013 Yamaha C2X | 2001 Yamaha M500-F .
Current: Diabelli - Allegretto; Schein - Allemande

#2313906 - 08/10/14 05:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Mike407 Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
O Sole Mio almost sounded like music today. That one gave me so trouble with the left hand rhythm.

I think we should change the criteria for moving to the next song in one case only - when you start humming Blow the Man Down, you have permission to move along smile

Edited by Mike407 (08/10/14 05:20 PM)

103 year old Schmoller and Mueller
Slightly newer Kawai ES 100

#2314024 - 08/11/14 12:06 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Busy day today, but I did manage to squeeze in some practice time. I was getting tired of looking at recital pieces so I worked on some other older stuff instead as a review. I also messed around with configuring my audio input and got some test recordings to sound better, but still a little blurry.

Mike: I think I've finally got that BTMD song out of my head. I may go back to it now and again for review, though, like I do with some of the other songs. That "O Sole Mio!" piece does look tricky. I didn't really care for the tune that much when I first heard it, but after watching Andrew's video a few times it's started to grow on me.

XXXV

#2314346 - 08/11/14 11:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Hey everyone, hope you're all doing well. Today's practice was trying to even out my playing on "Lone Star Waltz," and reading over the next couple pages in the book where it introduces 7ths & octaves. Plus some time on a recital piece, of course. smile

XXXV

#2314439 - 08/12/14 09:17 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TX-Bluebonnet]
AndrewJCW Offline

I've been doing a bit. I got Raisins and Almonds recorded and then spent some time memorising both Scarborough Fair and Raisins and Almonds. A bit of a frustrating process but only took about 15 mins each. Going to try get it recorded for the recital tomorrow, but we'll see.

Also getting comfortable with He's Got The Whole World in His Hands and even The Entertainer is starting to sound like a song! I have my lesson on friday again so I'll have to make some time for my homework as well. I plan to make a youtube video each week on my lesson work so hopefully I can get some time to do that too.

Edited by AndrewJCW (08/12/14 09:18 AM)

#2314754 - 08/12/14 11:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Well, practice today was all about working on my recital piece. I even tried recording some of it, but didn't get anything good. Not even close. Those brief note-seeking hesitations I hear in real time are agonizingly long in my recordings. I feel like with the amount of time I've spent on an easy song that I should have it fully polished and done with by now. frown

Andrew, it sounds like you're working on an awful lot at once, so yeah, definitely make some time for your homework. I'm curious to hear how those 2 songs will sound when you put them together. And I'm sure you'll do just fine with it. smile

XXXV

#2314758 - 08/13/14 12:02 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Linda,
Recording yourself is a good idea for that very reason. You can hear things on a recording that you could never notice while playing (because your mind is sorta occupied with other things, like playing smile. Also, on frustration with progress: you may be aware of this, but when humans learn a new skill, there will invariably be periods where no progress seems to be made. Indeed, sometimes it may even seem like you're practicing more and getting worse. These plateaus are very frustrating, but they are natural. What's going on is that you're brain has reached a limit of how much new information it can hold...so it's processing what you've stored up; it's integrating the new information along with what you already have learned previously, and making it a part of you. In that way it can clear the slots (so to speak) and free up mental resources to allow new progress. The pattern of progress and plateau, progress and plateau will repeat over and over. But even during the plateau periods you're learning a lot, even if it doesn't seem that way.

In fact, in some ways you're learning more during those periods. So stick with it, because perseverance definitely pays off. I remember when I first started practicing octave tremolos, I couldn't do them. I mean, I could do them, but my speed was SO slow. It was barely a tremolo at all. I kept practicing and practicing and I felt like I would never get it up to speed. I kept at it a really really long time, just a few minutes a day but every day for weeks. Then one day I was like, holy cow I'm doing it! My brain was finally like "o.k. o.k. I got this now." Now whenever I get frustrated by something on the piano, I think about that, do a few tremolos, smile and then start plugging away at it again until I get it.

My point is, you actually seem to be progressing at a really good rate, especially since you've mostly been forced to go it without the benefit of a competent teacher. It's easy to forget how far you've come. But in my view it's a very good practice to look back and pay attention to that. My guess is that there is stuff that you were struggling with a few weeks ago that is a piece of cake to you now. Always a good idea to remember that when you're feeling distressed about the way things are progressing. smile

Anyway, that's my opinion. It's free, and probably worth at least that much lol. smile

#2314797 - 08/13/14 02:22 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MandyD Offline

Loc: Australia
I can't speak for Linda, but in my case I'd like to thank you fizikisto. That is how I am feeling at the moment too. OH and Linda I can totally relate to how your feeling about listening to the recording, I am in exactly the same boat. I have also realized what a clunker I can be as well, it's a little depressing really but I'll keep smiling. I was going to give up on putting my little effort on the recital partly because of the sound, but more so because I've spent the whole afternoon mucking around trying to work out how to record it and save it to MP3 format. But I have finally figured it out - Yay! So I will pop it on later today (I've had enough of computers for a while lol) and I will not think about how bad it is but how hopefully I'll get some constructive criticism and pointers about where I can improve.

#2314834 - 08/13/14 04:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Offline

Yup recording sucks. I have 70 videos recorded on my youtube channel but my fingers and brain turn to mush when I flick record on still. You just have to be prepared for it and have patience and time. Of my 70 videos I have gotten ONE the first take. The vast majority take 15-20 mins and some even up to an hour. This is on pieces that are normally less than 1 minute long and which I thought I had down and have played through without mistake before recording.

Anyway I got mine in. It's short and simple, and definitely played with too much gusto and pedal and not enough feel but at least it's a start. It's on my channel if you want to check it out before the recital.

Now I can focus on some other stuff at least. "He's Got The Whole World" is ok but i don't really enjoy practicing it so it's not finished yet, I really like playing The Entertainer so it's distracting me. After that I only have Amazing Grace to finish the old All in One Book, too bad I have the new version with seven extra pieces! I guess I'll do them too for the sake of completeness, the new ones seem a bit rarer on youtube so it would be nice for that reason too.

Edited by AndrewJCW (08/13/14 07:27 AM)

#2314863 - 08/13/14 07:13 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: AndrewJCW]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Same experience here. Normally takes me about 5-10 takes before I get one that is between 95-99% OK.

But when you do get a performance "in the can", well relax for a few minutes and try once or twice more and really "go for it". No pressure, you already have an acceptable recording.

I've gotten some 100% recordings this way.

#2314872 - 08/13/14 07:22 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MandyD Offline

Well it's in - I'm number 46. I'm not happy with it but I knew if I didn't put it in now I never would. So goodbye Beauty and the Beast and hello Alfred! My piano teacher pulled me up yesterday on some things I'm not doing properly due to my rush to progress lol, so it's back to basics for a while now.

Andrew I'm off to check out your youtube channel right now.

Brian I have to laugh as I must have done at least 20 attempts and in the end I got it to about 70% and thought "That will do, I am not playing this bluddy song one more time - EVER!" lol.

Edited by MandyD (08/13/14 07:23 AM)

#2314877 - 08/13/14 07:42 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: MandyD]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

MandyD;

The really annoying thing for me is when you are 50% through a recording (after screwing up the first 10) and are perfect so far. Then, the pressure starts to build as you keep playing to the end. The little voice in your head starts to say "you know you're going to screw up, it's just a matter of when".

I've had a few recordings where I was perfect up until the last note, THEN screwed up! I have to say my language would have made a sailor blush. shocked

#2314880 - 08/13/14 07:55 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AndrewJCW Offline

Yay! Glad you made it Mandy.

Wonder how Linda is going... would be nice if we had a little contingent of entries from the Alfred book 1 people.

Yes I've done the old screw up the last note a few times. What an incredible frustration! And this is all on our silly little 40 second pieces. Imagine doing it on a 5 min + piece you've worked on for 6 months and finally got a perfect take on. Oh boy.

#2314898 - 08/13/14 08:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
RGibson Offline

Loc: St Petersburg, florida
Hello, I just found this site yesterday as I was looking for suggestions on pianos. I was delighted when I saw a forum for Adult Beginners ! I often thought I was the "only one" out there that started this journey later in life. And reading some of the posts it made me feel better knowing others were having some of the same struggles. I find that as an adult I tend to over analyze . or think too much.

I have heard of the book you all are referring to but I started out using Michael Aaron's Piano Lessons Book I and Book II I was forever grateful for the people who posted his lessons on You Tube.

Its great seeing other adults learning to play at a later time in life.

#2315235 - 08/13/14 11:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

fizkisto: Thank you very much for the encouragement. I'm sorry to say that I was starting to get frustrated. blush I hadn't thought about the mental process of learning to play in the way you described it. And you're right that some of the stuff I struggled through a few weeks ago is now easy. So with a new perspective after such a lovely pep talk, I am feeling much better about my progress now - or even lack of. How much is your opinion worth to me? Priceless! smile

Mandy: Me, a clunker? cool I guess that's one way to put it. laugh Congrats on getting your recital piece in. thumb I haven't given up on getting something submitted for the recital. Even if it's full of mistakes with uneven tempo and hesitations and the melody's drowned out by the chords. Not to mention the recording is going to sound blurry/distorted because I can't figure out how to fix my audio issue. Well, maybe I should ask since something that bad probably shouldn't be in a recital.

Andrew: Wow, I didn't realize you had that many videos recorded. shocked I don't mind doing multiple recordings. But part of the problem is having to turn off my loud a/c unit in my already too-warm room (low to mid 80's), and then within minutes it's creeping up toward the high 80's. Perhaps I should try to get up early when it's relatively cooler and do some recording before I leave for work. And congratulations to you too for getting your recital piece in as well. thumb I will definitely check it out later on your youtube channel.

RGibson: Welcome to PW. It really is nice knowing we're not alone. I'm not familiar with the method books you're referring to. Are you thinking about getting an Alfred's book? It's not a requirement to post here - the more the merrier, I say - I'm just asking out of curiosity. There's also a Faber's method thread somewhere here on Piano World that you might find interesting if you're looking into other learning methods. You can click on BrianDX's name (a couple posts above yours in this thread) to ask questions about Faber's.

Edited by TX-Bluebonnet (08/13/14 11:49 PM)

XXXV

#2315236 - 08/13/14 11:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MandyD Offline

Hi RGibson, I'm relatively new here too and I'm loving the supportive atmosphere. Everyone is lovely. I'm unfamiliar with Michael Aaron's books so I might go on You Tube and have a looksie.

Andrew I went and listened to your submission and it's awesome. Well done you!

Brian you made me giggle again, that's exactly how it was for me too. The more I thought about it the more I kept stuffing it up. I might even delete it and resubmit (if I can be bothered lol). As for the sailor's comment - a sailor had nothing on me yesterday. I reckon I would have made a wharfie blush! blush laugh

TX how are you going with your recording? I really hope you are able to submit something too smile

#2315237 - 08/13/14 11:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MandyD Offline

Snap Linda. laugh

Oh and I'm sure your not a clunker but I am lol

#2315241 - 08/14/14 12:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: MandyD]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Notice that I didn't deny it!! whome

XXXV

#2315405 - 08/14/14 10:21 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
RGibson Offline

Loc: St Petersburg, florida
Hello and thank you all for the warm welcome. As I had said just knowing there are other older adults learning to play the piano is very encouraging for me. Actually yesterday I was going "piano shopping" and came upon this music store that had sheet music and I found the Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course book .. I may have to go back and buy it ..if not for anything the very last page..It shows a chart.... "use these charts to form chords in any key. It showed a chord chart and Major Scale chart. I took a pic with my phone so maybe I will be able to transpose it.....

After I finished Grade Two of Michael Aaron my piano teacher and I discussed the next step for me and we chose some sheet music. I started with Bach Praeludium I ...it took me several months to learn it... It gave me a real sense of accomplishment.

Thank you again for your kind words and I love reading your posts...... any questions about me just ask....

#2315651 - 08/14/14 09:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Way to go Alfred's team - great turnout at recital #35!!

I think I've had enough of "Yellow Rose of Texas" for a while. I am so ready to move on to something new. "Cafe Vienna," here I come.

Richard: You may find one of these chord dictionaries useful. I bought the Alfred's one by M. Manus at the top. I don't know why, I don't even know what to do with it. Hopefully I will one day, though. smile

Edited by TX-Bluebonnet (08/14/14 10:01 PM)

XXXV

#2315713 - 08/14/14 11:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Linda,
Chord Dictionaries are particularly useful for people who play lead sheet style music. What you've been learning in Alfred's is based on traditional music scores. A lead sheet is a different way of writing music. Instead of having both the treble and bass staff, with a lead sheet you generally have a simple melody line in the treble staff, with chord symbol's written above it.

I love playing from lead sheets, because it gives you the opportunity to express yourself creatively. So, on a lead sheet you might see a melody in the treble staff with an indication of a C chord above the staff (which you would usually play with your left hand). So what's a C chord?

C-E-G, Those are the notes of the C major chord. But you could also play those same notes in a different order (called a chord inversion), i.e. E-G-C or G-C-E. You could play them all at once as a block chord and hold it for the measure, or on the 1st and 3rd beats, or on all beats of the measure, etc.... or you could play it with the notes one after the other (broken chord or arpeggio style), and you could play it in the octave below the melody, or two octaves below the melody, or you could mix it up, or play the notes in different patterns, etc....There's all kinds of things you can do with the chords, and there's a similar variety of things you can do to embellish the melody line.

So basically, the lead sheet is like the skeleton of the tune, and you get to put the meat on it however you want. That's what I meant when I said you have the opportunity to express yourself creatively. You could take the lead sheet for one song, and easily play it dozens of different ways.

Now, if you get a lead sheet, and a chord A7#5 is indicated, and your thought is, what the heck kind of chord is that? Then you can consult a chord dictionary.

Now, even if you play just traditional sheet music (which gives you opportunities to be creative in different ways, like through expression...but also give you the ability to play exactly the song that the composer or arranger intended), chord dictionaries can still be useful. You might remember that I remarked that looking at the chords in a song can help you figure out what key the song is in? Well, the reverse is true. If you know what key a song is in, you can predict which chords (and their variations) are most likely to show up in the song. So if you see a pattern of C-E-G written on the bass staff, and you know that because you're in C major you should expect to see some C chords, well, it can help you sight read those notes. Rather than a bunch of random notes, you can recognize "oh that's just a broken up C chord!" This can help you read the sheet music more fluently, because our brains are really good at learning to recognize patterns. Chord dictionaries can help you familiarize yourself with the chords you are likely to find in a particular key. That's useful for reading, for playing, for improvising, and a whole bunch of other things.

Warm Regards

#2315809 - 08/15/14 05:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
EnGee Offline

Loc: Auckland, NZ
Congratulations Andrew, Linda and Mandy (and to everyone who participated from Alfred's Level 1) for being in the Recital 35 smile
I think we did well cool
I didn't expect long time playing by you (more than 30 seconds is a long time for me!).

Anyway, I expected more participants from "Alfred's Level 1" in the Recital but I hope that in the next Recital.

Back to listening to the many pieces in the Recital. Tomorrow I will go back to Alfred's book and continue where I stopped :-)

#2315930 - 08/15/14 01:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Hey EnGee, I was getting ready to send out a search and rescue team for you. Glad you found your way back here. smile

XXXV

#2315934 - 08/15/14 01:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

fizikisto, It so happens I just received a really large fake book earlier this week. I hadn't had a chance to look at using it yet. So I'm glad now that I have it on hand. I will read your reply in more depth later. I may then have some questions for you. smile You are so helpful, thank you!!

XXXV

#2316018 - 08/15/14 05:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
DancerJ Offline

I started this book, and I have a question for you all.

Do you move on even when you didn't master something 100%, or do you stay until you can play a piece of music smoothly 100 % of time? For example, I stumble at the end of Jingle Bells sometimes. I wonder if I should keep practicing that piece until I can play it perfectly at the regular speed.

Thank you.

#2316068 - 08/15/14 08:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Dancer, Playing smoothly 100% of the time is an awfully high standard. eek I don't think there's any one standard as far as when to move on from a piece. Some get tired of a song that they have mostly polished, so they move on but go back to it now and again until they're satisfied with it. In your case I'd say you're ready to move on, or at least also add the next piece to your practice which is "Dueling Harmonics." I think JB and DH go well together.

XXXV

#2316070 - 08/15/14 08:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MandyD Offline

Whew thank goodness that recital business is over. Well done to all the Alfred's people I was so impressed with everyone's submissions (except my own lol - and it probably didn't help that mine sounded more like a guitar than a piano). There are some really really talented people on this forum, but I am glad I had a go and hopefully will get my sound issues and improve my playing before the next one. If someone (Andrew grin ) can help me with advice as how to record properly I'd really appreciate it, as for the life of me I can't get Audacity to work.

Dancer I can't speak for the others but if I waited until I had things at 100% before moving on I'd still be playing the first song in the book lol. I wait until I feel reasonably confident with a song and can play it sort of accurately (or I'm totally sick of it blush ) and then move on to the next one. But when I practice I go back a good 5 or 6 pages from the song I'm working on and play the old songs through once again. Talking about this I better get on the piano and get the Alfred's book out, I've been a bit slack with it with all the stress of trying to get a recording in for the recital.

#2316075 - 08/15/14 09:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TX-Bluebonnet]
EnGee Offline

Loc: Auckland, NZ
Originally Posted By: TX-Bluebonnet
Hey EnGee, I was getting ready to send out a search and rescue team for you. Glad you found your way back here. smile

lol! no need for the rescue ha I'm addicted now to Piano learning and Piano World Forums wink

I was busy mainly with practising the musical piece for the Recital smile What about you? I hope you are doing fine thumb

Originally Posted By: DancerJ

Do you move on even when you didn't master something 100%, or do you stay until you can play a piece of music smoothly 100 % of time? For example, I stumble at the end of Jingle Bells sometimes. I wonder if I should keep practicing that piece until I can play it perfectly at the regular speed.

Being the student and teacher at the same time is not an easy task. Usually what I do is trying to feel good about my playing the piece and usually I concentrate on the new topic/technique that the author wants me to learn. I don't move to the next topic unless I do very well because I know or can guess that the next lessons will depend on the current one. For others my "Very well" might be just "good enough"! so only you can define what exactly "perfect" or 100% means.

Yes, Jingle Bells was difficult for me as well! I spent about one week with it because it introduces using the left hand to play the harmony. What I did is slowing down till I could play the whole piece without mistakes, then raised the tempo gradually every time till I reached an acceptable tempo (might still be little bit slower than the original).

Page 198 of 203 < 1 2 ... 196 197 198 199 200 202 203 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianoteq vs Digital Piano vs Acoustic Piano
by wildpig
09/16/14 11:57 PM
Baldwin Hamilton 1941
by JMN12
09/16/14 11:13 PM
Tucson, AZ: Is Arizona Room a bad place for a piano?
by Paul678
09/16/14 08:14 PM
Kissin plays...
by JoelW
09/16/14 07:33 PM
For Sale : True Keys Pianos (bundle) American,Italian,Ger
man

by imyself
09/16/14 05:51 PM
Who's Online
89 registered (anotherscott, Anticlock, anamnesis, 28 invisible), 935 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157573 Topics
2314533 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission