Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 47 of 195 < 1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 194 195 >
Topic Options
#1071517 - 10/28/08 12:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
wj3 Offline

Loc: Salem, Or
Mom3gram. Try the Walter Johnson Chorus website.
They have the Alfreds level 1 Cheesy Cd in mp3 format. Here is the link. http://www.wjchorus.com/mp3player/index....lues%20Away.mp3

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on (Simply Joplin) Solace, Peacherine Rag, A Breeze from Alabama:, (Burgmuller) Progres, Limpid stream.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1071518 - 10/28/08 01:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
1silkyferret Offline

Loc: Elsewhere-now Texas
your are not the only one who has had that problem.

#1071519 - 10/28/08 03:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Ah! Thanks, wj3.

The CD doesn't sound a whole heck of a lot better than me. I guess I won't be sticking with this piece for long. :-(

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1071520 - 10/28/08 04:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
wj3 Offline

mom3gram3 I didn't either. Some of the other blues songs are much better like "Why am I blue".

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on (Simply Joplin) Solace, Peacherine Rag, A Breeze from Alabama:, (Burgmuller) Progres, Limpid stream.

#1071521 - 10/28/08 04:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
wj3 Offline

oops I mean mom3gran... unless there are 3 little grans

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:

#1071522 - 10/28/08 06:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Actually, there were three kids, and as of last count, 10 little "grans". I went with the 3 because the other number keeps changing. :-)

#1071523 - 11/01/08 01:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
johndyoung Offline

Loc: USA
I just finished level one and am going on to level two. The first song in the level two book is easy but then they get hard real quick. It looks like it is going to take a while to complete.

#1071524 - 11/01/08 02:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
wj3 Offline

Congratulations Johndyoug. That a big accomplishment. I am hovering around the end of book one also. My teacher has me off on Bach now. I don't know if I'll ever finish.

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:

#1071525 - 11/01/08 04:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Blackbird Offline

Loc: Cornwall UK
Well done Johndyoung

Might see you there in a few months

\:\)

#1071526 - 11/01/08 04:30 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Congratulations on your promotion to Book 2, Johndyoung. It's going to take me a while to catch up to you, but I lurk in the Book 2 thread once in a while to see what it's all about, and everyone seeems to really like the pieces in that book.

#1071527 - 11/01/08 04:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I just got a new digital today (see separate thread), so I will be reviewing for a while as I get used to the weighted and slightly wider keys. I was a little disoriented playing my current Alfred pieces, so I went back to some earlier ones and some easy Christmas music. I have a pedal now too. :-) Will have to learn how to use that.

#1071528 - 11/01/08 08:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Congratulations johndyoung upon completing your book one. What a fabulous milestone. Good luck on level two.

Key Notes \:\)

#1071529 - 11/02/08 06:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Blackbird Offline

Am I normal?

Well if you knew me, "obviously not", you'd chorus \:\)

In respect of my total inability to memorize a score.

A friend of mine only has to play a piece have a dozen times and he no longer needs the sheet music.

Now me, I'm pleased with my progress through the book and for the past week in addition to the book work I have been learning "Puff the Magic Dragon" from the greatest hits book.

I must of played this piece over a 100 times easy. I can play it 9/10 times without mistake now and it's almost as if I don't read the individual notes any more I just see the pattern (does that make sense?) on the page.

BUT take the music away and nothing, can't play more than the first bar.

Is this normal, should I specifically practice memorizing or will it just one day click into place.

My reading of the music seems to be coming on leaps and bounds but I have the memory of a mouse it appears.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Blackbird

#1071530 - 11/02/08 09:06 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I must of played this piece over a 100 times easy. I can play it 9/10 times without mistake now and it's almost as if I don't read the individual notes any more I just see the pattern (does that make sense?) on the page.
That part is normal. That's how I play pieces that I've practiced a lot. As far as being able to play without the sheet music - I can't. It's funny that I'm not actually reading it, but I can't play if it isn't there. I have attempted to memorize things purposely, but without success. Maybe I haven't tried hard enough. Or maybe there are tricks to it. When I was a kid, I could memorize schoolwork so easily. That part of my brain seems to be missing now.

Two of my grandkids play piano. The older one is a good reader, but does not memorize his pieces. The younger one is a very poor reader, but memorizes a piece after only two or three playings. They did a duet in their recital last year, and the difference in their playing methods almost did them in.

I suppose that it's the best of both worlds if you can be a good reader, as well as a good memorizer. Right now, I'm neither. But I'm finding it easier to improve my reading than it is to improve my memory.

#1071531 - 11/02/08 05:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Blackbird Offline

Thanks for that mom3gram, it set my mind at rest that I'm not alone with it.

Regards

#1071532 - 11/02/08 06:00 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
flyboy01 Offline

Loc: Great River, New York
Hi Everyone,

I received my Alfreds All In One on Saturday and have been working with it. So far this instruction method is GREAT! I had been using L&M. Thank you to everyone of your posts that suggest Alfred's.

Yamaha CLP330

Alfred's Adult All-in-one Level 1

#1071533 - 11/02/08 06:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Ted, and welcome. This IS a good method, and the proof is that there are a lot of people on Piano World ABF who are sticking with it through Book 2 also. I'm hoping to get there eventually, but enjoying the ride here for now. Good luck, and have fun.

#1071534 - 11/05/08 04:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Piano Monkey Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Hello all,

It's nice to have a place to go to where beginners can share experiences. Although I am truly a beginner I did play an organ several years ago and at that time I could ready the right hand and mastered many cords. Learning the piano has been on my bucket list so I figured it was time to get started.

I have the Alfred's Adult All-in-one Level book and I'm finding it very easy to follow. I've been working on it for about 4 to 5 weeks and have gotten to page 62 Beautiful Brown Eyes. As I have progressed through the book I have covered things I am already familiar with and of course some things are new. I have moved on to new material after I felt I understood the material and could play the piece fairly well (not to many mistakes).

My basic question is how well should I master a song before moving on to the next thing?
Should I be playing the piece without any errors before moving on? I have gone back and reviewed earlier pieces and found I could play them without many problems.

Thanks for the help.
Jim

#1071535 - 11/05/08 06:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Originally posted by Piano Monkey:
Hello all,

It's nice to have a place to go to where beginners can share experiences. Although I am truly a beginner I did play an organ several years ago and at that time I could ready the right hand and mastered many cords. Learning the piano has been on my bucket list so I figured it was time to get started.

I have the Alfred's Adult All-in-one Level book and I'm finding it very easy to follow. I've been working on it for about 4 to 5 weeks and have gotten to page 62 Beautiful Brown Eyes. As I have progressed through the book I have covered things I am already familiar with and of course some things are new. I have moved on to new material after I felt I understood the material and could play the piece fairly well (not to many mistakes).

My basic question is how well should I master a song before moving on to the next thing?
Should I be playing the piece without any errors before moving on? I have gone back and reviewed earlier pieces and found I could play them without many problems.

Thanks for the help.
Jim [/b]
welcome Jim,

You will probably get varied responses to your question. I guess a teacher would know best, but I don't look for perfection in my pieces before moving on, but do review older pieces for quite a while before I let them go. Pieces that I call keepers (ones I really like), I play to prefect.

As I stated in another thread, my teacher says "You wont master your current level until you move up a level". And this seems to be pretty much true for me.

So keep us posted and enjoy the journey...

Mark...

#1071536 - 11/05/08 11:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Dave123 Offline

Loc: Canada
 Quote:

Thanks for the help.
Jim [/b]
welcome to the thread, I don't have a difinitive answer though, but through the school of music I attend once a week I have had 2 teachers the first one was progressive and went at breakneck speed with the thoughts similar to Marks teacher. My new teacher pays attention to everything and won't progress pass that point until everything is in place. Both teachers I felt was good, just different, and both styles having their pro's and cons. My thoughts are when you are comfortable with the piece move on, most of us routinely go back and practice what we have learned and hence improve the piece

#1071537 - 11/05/08 11:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Blackbird Offline

Just wanted to say hi,

and ditto Mark's comments

though I don't have an ounce of experience to base them on as I'm not much further ahead in the book than you \:\)

Asked the same question myself

Blackbird

#1071538 - 11/05/08 11:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
1silkyferret Offline

Loc: Elsewhere-now Texas
It depends on your teacher.

My piano teacher was passing me off on pieces a lot faster than my carillon teacher who expects a lot more. I think part of that is my piano teacher doesnt have any other adult students. I havent seen him in months.
My piano teacher is pikier about correct rhythm than notes. Counting out loud is big with them. Carillon teacher is picky about both.
I currently am working on a piece that will take me months to learn,. I have the hand parts down. Its the pedal work that kills me.

#1071539 - 11/06/08 02:42 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks for the help.
Jim [/b]
Hi and welcome. I'm self-teaching so I don't know what the best and proper way to determine when one should be moving on to the next song, but it varies quite a bit for me. It depends on how difficult a piece is in terms of fingering and timing. The more difficult, the longer I spend the time on it. Until I feel that I can comfortably play it with zero or minimal mistakes, and with good timing, I won't move on. It would varied anywhere between a couple of hours to a couple of weeks, with non-consecutive practice days.

And on the few occasions that I get bored practicing and hearing the same song over and over again, I would simultaneously work on it and the adjacent few songs above or below it.

Good luck to you.

#1071540 - 11/06/08 03:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flyboy01:
Hi Everyone,

I received my Alfreds All In One on Saturday and have been working with it. So far this instruction method is GREAT! I had been using L&M. Thank you to everyone of your posts that suggest Alfred's. [/b]
Welcome and good luck to you.

#1071541 - 11/06/08 04:44 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Blackbird Offline

I've just made the mistake of being a voyeur on the book 2 thread and read some of their comments and listened to their excellent efforts. I want to do that one now \:\)

Lots of incentive to crack this book, if I needed any extra.

Would you believe my partner suggested I may have to move my keyboard to make way for the Christmas Tree next month.

I've compromised, I'm selling her dogs instead, they take up as such room, sound worse...just and they're hers ;\)

#1071542 - 11/06/08 12:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Piano Monkey Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
I knew I’ve come to the right place! Thanks for all of the helpful feedback. I tend to not go for perfection and move on but I don’t want to shortcut the learning and develop bad habits. As Key Note mentioned going back to past pieces is a good test to see if the right skills have been learned.

Hey Blackbird, Your definitely not alone feeling like you have the memory of a mouse. Why do you think I picked the name Piano Monkey? I guess slow and steady gets the job done…

Jim AKA Piano Monkey

#1071543 - 11/06/08 02:29 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Plowboy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
I just started with a new piano teacher. I had been taking a community college class, which was using Alfred's. I just got Alpine Melody to sound nice, too.

But the new teacher will have none of that. She said she's going to push me. So here comes the Bach.

When I get a chance, though, I'm going to sneak in working on Cafe Vienna, I like that one.

#1071544 - 11/07/08 07:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Blackbird:
I've just made the mistake of being a voyeur on the book 2 thread and read some of their comments and listened to their excellent efforts. I want to do that one now \:\)

[/b]
Blackbird - I can fully understand you wanting to "do" Book 2 now - although the skill and technique required to do most Book 2 pieces is somewhat advanced over that needed for most Book 1 pieces, the "musicality' of many Book 2 pieces is significantly advanced over many found in Book 1 - in a few words, they are a little more challenging (as you would expect), but a lot more enjoyable (as you would hope) - but be patient - all good things in time - work your way slowly but steadily thru Book 1, "mastering" as much as you can each new technique and each new piece as you go - you'll need this solid foundation to build on step-by-step - there's no quick & easy way, just alot of time and consistent practice - one extemely important word of advice: do much review of older, previously studied pieces as you move forward on new pieces - this is one of the keys for constant improvement.

Good luck and play on! \:\)

Regards, JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1071545 - 11/08/08 12:41 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Schenk:
I just started with a new piano teacher. I had been taking a community college class, which was using Alfred's. I just got Alpine Melody to sound nice, too.

But the new teacher will have none of that. She said she's going to push me. So here comes the Bach.[/b]
Pushing the envelope is always nice Gary. After all, if we don't believe in it, we wouldn't begin this incredible journey anyway.

When I get a chance, though, I'm going to sneak in working on Cafe Vienna, I like that one. [/b][/QUOTE]

Don't worry we won't tell. Just make sure that I never meet your teacher. ;\) \:D

#1071546 - 11/08/08 12:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Frank:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Blackbird:

[/b]
Blackbird - I can fully understand you wanting to "do" Book 2 now - although the skill and technique required to do most Book 2 pieces is somewhat advanced over that needed for most Book 1 pieces, the "musicality' of many Book 2 pieces is significantly advanced over many found in Book 1 - in a few words, they are a little more challenging (as you would expect), but a lot more enjoyable (as you would hope) - but be patient - all good things in time - work your way slowly but steadily thru Book 1, "mastering" as much as you can each new technique and each new piece as you go - you'll need this solid foundation to build on step-by-step - there's no quick & easy way, just alot of time and consistent practice - one extemely important word of advice: do much review of older, previously studied pieces as you move forward on new pieces - this is one of the keys for constant improvement.

Good luck and play on! \:\)

Regards, JF [/b]
Definitely words of wisdom. Thanks JF. \:\)

Page 47 of 195 < 1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 194 195 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
116 registered (Almaviva, AlanD, 36251, Alex1, acortot, 31 invisible), 1646 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156073 Topics
2291924 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Rhodes" sound -- variation with volume?
by Charles Cohen
Today at 08:59 PM
That last 10%
by gooddog
Today at 08:24 PM
Hamelin Review from the Mannes Keyboard program in NYC
by Serge Marinkovic
Today at 08:03 PM
Recommend me some Shostakovich
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 07:43 PM
Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music
by bennevis
Today at 05:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission