Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 203 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 202 203 >
Topic Options
#1070257 - 04/26/07 10:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Originally posted by loly:
ohhh mark, book 2 is so easy so far.

fabers book 2 for adults is a bit more difficult, i'm on swing low sweet chariot and it's all chord inversions. yikes alfreds doesn't go into chord inversion till later in the book but then alfreds has book 3 while faber doesn't. [/b]
Looking forward to it...I think... \:D

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1070258 - 04/26/07 10:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vijay:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mark737:
Everyone's abilities are different. And Alfreds songs do get increasingly more demanding. I'd say a mimimum of 8 monthe to a year or more... [/b]
Thanks for the reply Mark. This statistic will be helpful for me to define short term piano goals. [/b]
Let me add something. I just was going through this whole thread looking for a song and after reading the posts, don't let my time frame mess you up. It seems some people can breeze through the book pretty fast. My time frame might be off.

Just out of curiosity maybe we can have everyone who has completed book one tell us how long it took...

#1070259 - 04/26/07 11:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

While looking for a song, I found these sites. It's for those who have compatible Yamaha pianos...

http://www.sheetmusicdigital.com/clavisoft.asp
http://www.stagepass.com/midi/browse_item_detail.hperl?cat=373&invnum=502547

#1070260 - 04/27/07 02:39 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
VJ. Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Just wanted to share this with Beginners. I was learning with Alfred's All-in-One book for a couple of weeks. I felt something was missing and I am not progressing well. Today I got the CD of the book. Man! It made a lot of difference. I compared all the songs which I played earlier and got the errors I made. I was able to understand better now. I highly recommend the CD and midi disks for beginners using Alfred's.

#1070261 - 04/27/07 12:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
It took me 9 months for alfred's doing 1 song out of alfred's at a time. I wish I could have talked my teacher into doing 3 songs from alfred's instead of from other books but it doesn't bother me very much now. I play better and better everyday and I get more variety from using other sources.

#1070262 - 05/04/07 12:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
z32 Offline

Loc: California
Hi everyone! I've been a long time visitor of this site, but just never got around to posting until now.

Anyways, I started learning the piano about 2 months ago, and I had this book as my main learning material. I'm self-teaching myself, so I pretty much just go on my own pace. I just finished up learning how to play "Amazing Grace" which is the last song of the book, so I'm pretty much done with it.

The funny thing with me is that despite knowing how to play every song in this book, I literally have no clue whatsoever concerning the piano theory of the book. For example, usually before each song of in the book, they give you a little lecture about new things like new chords and their names and how they relate to one another, but I pretty much just skipped over these and went straight to the songs. I really didn't have any problems playing the songs since I can read sheet music pretty well, but as far as theory goes, plain and simple I suck LOL. So my question is for you all now is should I go back and try to relearn and truly understand the piano theory in all those chords I've been playing up to this point, or should I just continue on with what I'm doing?

#1070263 - 05/04/07 10:02 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Matt H Offline

Loc: Indiana
z32, welcome to the forum. I would say, yes. Why not do both?

#1070264 - 05/04/07 01:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt H:
z32, welcome to the forum. I would say, yes. Why not do both? [/b]
I have to agree with Matt.

It also wouldn't be a bad idea to go over the songs with someone who really knows music to make sure you are doing things correctly and that you have no bad habits developing. When I started with my teacher she found some things i was wrong and helped fix them...

No matter what you have done a great job in 2 months...

#1070265 - 05/04/07 01:33 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark737:] Sorry double post

#1070266 - 05/04/07 03:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
z32 Offline

Thanks for the replies! Yea, I'll definitely go back and relearn those theories then. To tell you the truth, I guess I just became a little lazy when it came to those theories. I was just really antsy to get to playing each new song in the book that I just skipped over those parts. Yea, I know that's bad. Hehe, anyways I'm planning on getting a teacher soon to really teach me the right way. Until then, hopefully I can rely on you all here if I have any questions! \:\)

#1070267 - 05/06/07 09:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
johnsimon2004 Offline

Hi z32, there are 3 theory books that accompany the 3 practical books
in the Alfred's Adult Series..

Their titles are, 'Alfred's Basic Adult Theory Piano Book level X'
(X being one, two or three).
The practical book only provide the bare minimum to introduce the
new concept, the theory book provides you with a bit of 'pencil and paper' time.

The theory books contain nothing you can't find other places but it is
convenient. The books also have notes that tie the worksheets to the piece
you are working on. (i.e. assign with pages 20-21).

I found them worth every cent of the 7 or 9 dollars they cost

#1070268 - 05/06/07 10:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
KetchupandJam Offline

While I was using these books, I found, since I actually had to write something down, I would go out on the Internet, solidify the concept, then write it down.

They're good.

#1070269 - 05/06/07 02:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
z32 Offline

I actually just finished ordering 3 new books in the Alfred's line: Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course: Lesson Book Level Two, Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course: Sight Reading Book Level 1, and Alfred's Basic Adult Theory Piano Book: Level One. These should keep me busy for a good while! \:\)

#1070270 - 05/07/07 04:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
VJ. Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I am looking for a good Sight Reading book. Has anybody used Alfred's[/b] Basic Adult Piano Course: Sight Reading Book [/b] Level 1? Could you share your opinions on it?

#1070271 - 05/07/07 08:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm waiting on this sightreading book by Helen Marlais. I have her books succeeding with the masters books and love them.

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/smp_detail.html?item=7863953&cart=33875138075485962

#1070272 - 05/08/07 01:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
z32 Offline

I'll make sure to let you know what I think of the Sight Reading Book once I get the chance to actually start using it.

#1070273 - 05/08/07 07:30 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm cursing under my breath, I don't know why I don't like the blues music in Alfred's but i don't and for some reason there are a lot of them. funny thing is when I see a blues song come up I grit my teeth, but when I play it I pick it up quickly can't figure that one out.

I was kind of happy go lucky until last week,when I turned the page and my teacher got this wicked look on her face, kind of like a sneer. I think she knows I don't like the bluesies, boogie woogie stuff and to top it off the next piece in my fabers was another bluesies, boogy woogie. I've been hit by a double whammy 2x4 this week and I'm hating life right now.

#1070274 - 05/09/07 06:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
z32 Offline

I just finished relearning all those theories that I skimmed through my first read, and I must say, I'm SO GLAD I did this. Now, every song in the book makes more sense to me, and I can play each one SO MUCH easier! Hehe, now it's on to Alfred's Course Level Two!

#1070275 - 05/11/07 09:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

A little update.

With the teachers help I'm finally moving to the end of book one. I should be doing the Entertainer next week followed shortly by the last song, Amazing Grace. Looking through book 2 tell me it will take much longer than book one.

On the side I'm still cleaning up Moonlight in Dm. It drives me nuts that I can't get that clean recording. And finally I'm on the top of page two in Nefeli.

So how you doing class?... \:D

#1070276 - 05/11/07 11:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I'm currently working on some recording issues, but it would be nice if the people in book one could upload their songs to help everyone else. Kind of a minature recital...

#1070277 - 05/11/07 12:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Bob Griffin Offline

Loc: Sacramento, California
Me too. I am polishing up Amazing Grace, and have been playing other stuff on the side and it will be nine months total on book one for me.

My teacher has agreed to let me give book two a break as I work on some of Thompson's books. He has alot of classical pieces and I am almost ready to record "claire de lune" which is a four page synopsis and I love the way it sounds. I have been working on that for two months, and also am working on "time to say goodbye". I became bored with Alfreds. I don't know if I will ever go back to it. That said, I did learn alot from book one and I still play entertainer and a few others now and then from memory.

#1070278 - 05/11/07 12:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Griffin:
Me too. I am polishing up Amazing Grace, and have been playing other stuff on the side and it will be nine months total on book one for me.

My teacher has agreed to let me give book two a break as I work on some of Thompson's books. He has alot of classical pieces and I am almost ready to record "claire de lune" which is a four page synopsis and I love the way it sounds. I have been working on that for two months, and also am working on "time to say goodbye". I became bored with Alfreds. I don't know if I will ever go back to it. That said, I did learn alot from book one and I still play entertainer and a few others now and then from memory. [/b]
Hi Bob, good to hear from you. Sounds like your doing very well. Do you feel the Thompson books will build off what you have learned so far from Alfred? I know what you mean about some song selections, but I figured that the process is to build off each song, no matter what the song. I hoped that if I complete the series, playing well will take care of it self. Kind of like paying your dues so to speak.

Keep us informed on your progress, it might be a better way to go.

Mark

#1070279 - 05/11/07 06:00 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Marv Offline

Loc: Jersey City, NJ
Hi Everyone,

I'm on my second week on the Alfred's Adult Level One book.

I just finished "Lavender's Blue" on Pg. 52 and I think I'm progressing pretty well.

I don't have any formal piano lessons, but my gf's mom is a piano teacher and she gave me this booklet. Once a week I will go to their house and she'll just tech me a thing or two and I learn everything else from the book.

It's been great so far. Before I did this book, she gave me a small piano/music theory booklet which I breezed right through in two days. I have some music background (church choir/trumpet player im middle school and hs). So everything else as far as music theory is just a review.

I'm relearning everything from scratch because I don't want to miss anything. It's been a little more than 10 years.

With Piano, my mom was a piano teacher but I was a very stubborn child so I never practiced. I did everything by ear and I was good at it. I new a few songs which I learned by ear (windowing?).

But now I am learning how to play the piano the correct way.

Here's my video on Lavender's Blue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrPInBtu6oY

Comments/critics welcome as I need it since I do not have fulltime piano teacher. \:\)
Dell 24" LCD
Logitech Z-5500

#1070280 - 05/11/07 11:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marv:
Hi Everyone,

I'm on my second week on the Alfred's Adult Level One book.

I just finished "Lavender's Blue" on Pg. 52 and I think I'm progressing pretty well.

I don't have any formal piano lessons, but my gf's mom is a piano teacher and she gave me this booklet. Once a week I will go to their house and she'll just tech me a thing or two and I learn everything else from the book.

It's been great so far. Before I did this book, she gave me a small piano/music theory booklet which I breezed right through in two days. I have some music background (church choir/trumpet player im middle school and hs). So everything else as far as music theory is just a review.

I'm relearning everything from scratch because I don't want to miss anything. It's been a little more than 10 years.

With Piano, my mom was a piano teacher but I was a very stubborn child so I never practiced. I did everything by ear and I was good at it. I new a few songs which I learned by ear (windowing?).

But now I am learning how to play the piano the correct way.

Here's my video on Lavender's Blue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrPInBtu6oY

Comments/critics welcome as I need it since I do not have fulltime piano teacher. \:\) [/b]
Hi Marv and welcome. Sounds like your moving quite well though the book. And by having a music teacher to help you even occasionally will help you immensely. I was doing the book by my self up to around page 55-70 and then started lessons and the teacher was able to fix some mistakes and help me get though some ruff areas.

Nice job with Lavender Blue. The only thing I noticed was that you didn't do the repeat after the 8th measure where you go back to the beginning and then play through to the end. the double dots with the thin and heavy bar mean to repeat.

So keep up the good work and keep us posted. I like the video too, it really helps the thread...

Mark

#1070281 - 05/12/07 12:57 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Marv Offline

Loc: Jersey City, NJ
Oh man! I totally missed the repeat ":" on that measure!!! I'm used to seeing the repeat at the end of the song and I was also too focused on playing the notes correctly.

No wonder I was like, "this is a really short piece". hahaha

I will have to play it again and redo the video. =P

Thanks for correcting me!
Dell 24" LCD
Logitech Z-5500

#1070282 - 05/12/07 08:01 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marv:
Oh man! I totally missed the repeat ":" on that measure!!! I'm used to seeing the repeat at the end of the song and I was also too focused on playing the notes correctly.

No wonder I was like, "this is a really short piece". hahaha

I will have to play it again and redo the video. =P

Thanks for correcting me! [/b]
Its funny, I did the same thing. My teacher corrected me...:lol:

#1070283 - 05/12/07 01:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Bob Griffin Offline

I would say that you should be trying to play some stuff outside of Alfred's as soon as you can. I have started and stopped alot, but learned from those as well. I started book two, but quickly became bored with it. I might not go back to it other than select a few songs that interest me.

I guess at this point I don't want to take the time on some songs in the book that I don't enjoy hearing. The thompson's books are more difficult, but the pieces sound "better" and more enjoyable to hear while you are learning. I have no regrets though about doing the Alfred's book.

#1070284 - 05/12/07 03:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Bob Griffin Offline

Here is a song that I am working on for example. It's claire de lune from a different book.

http://www.box.net/shared/s18vmo0hs9

#1070285 - 05/12/07 04:33 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Griffin:
Here is a song that I am working on for example. It's claire de lune from a different book.

http://www.box.net/shared/s18vmo0hs9 [/b]
Thats a classic song. Very nice Bob.

#1070286 - 05/12/07 08:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
z32 Offline

Nice song Bob! I recognize that from the song played at the end of the movie Ocean's Eleven! Hehe, I might have to give that one a try myself! Sounds soothing!

Page 5 of 203 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 202 203 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piece ID
by IstvánE
Yesterday at 10:14 PM
Pre purchase inspection
by mellie62
Yesterday at 10:00 PM
Do Parents want to hear the truth anymore?
by chasingrainbows
Yesterday at 09:28 PM
DEBUSSY- 'The terrace for moonlit audiences'
by Hal Freedman
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
Baldwin PS2500 ram battery
by mooh320ps
Yesterday at 07:47 PM
Who's Online
48 registered (bennevis, Altair, alfredo capurso, beet31425, 7 invisible), 885 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76281 Members
42 Forums
157681 Topics
2316085 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission