Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 7 of 203 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 202 203 >
Topic Options
#1070317 - 06/05/07 04:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
VJ. Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Guys,

Its been sometime since I posted in this forum now. I am currently in Page 88 of "Alfred's All-in-one course" working on "London Bridge" and "Michael, Row the Boat Ashore".

Working with six or more notes for the right hand (using Right Thumb for C & D) looks a bit tricky for now as against to C, Middle C and G positions which were easy to play with intervals. Anyway, I will keep working my way through it.

Anybody in the same boat as me?? \:\)

Also I need to ask u guys something. Currently I am simultaneously working with the pieces of my level from Alfred's and Bastien's course books. I would like to play some easy classical pieces. Could you suggest me some?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1070318 - 06/05/07 04:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Originally posted by Vijay:
Hi Guys,

Its been sometime since I posted in this forum now. I am currently in Page 88 of "Alfred's All-in-one course" working on "London Bridge" and "Michael, Row the Boat Ashore".

Working with six or more notes for the right hand (using Right Thumb for C & D) looks a bit tricky for now as against to C, Middle C and G positions which were easy to play with intervals. Anyway, I will keep working my way through it.

Anybody in the same boat as me?? \:\)

Also I need to ask u guys something. Currently I am simultaneously working with the pieces of my level from Alfred's and Bastien's course books. I would like to play some easy classical pieces. Could you suggest me some? [/b]
You might try Moonlight Sonata in Dm. Its an easier version yet has a very nice sound none the less. Its three pages. Its taken me a few months to get it down, but it's worth the effort.

Mark

#1070319 - 06/07/07 08:30 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Here's my very first recording ever on this forum. It's from my faber book and extremely short. sorry, I did it on a whim and by take 9 I got a recording I felt I could post. \:\(

criticize me (Mario I hope you see this. teehee), as I mentioned on the alfreds 2 thread, I have no talent, not gifted but I do love to learn so any criticism will be well received.

I did set my camera up last night and hopefully I'll be able to record something on tape for Mario to see.

ps I have an appt with a russian teacher who graduated from music in russia tomorrow and another appt with a teacher who is retired but still wants to teach on monday. her backround is playing for 40 years, plays for church and does voice in choir. Both are strong on teaching technic, yay. wish me luck, I still have 4 more to go through after these 2.

http://www.box.net/shared/kbzkpr08ty

#1070320 - 06/07/07 09:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loly:
Here's my very first recording ever on this forum. It's from my faber book and extremely short. sorry, I did it on a whim and by take 9 I got a recording I felt I could post. \:\(

http://www.box.net/shared/kbzkpr08ty [/b]
That was nice loly...you should put it in the June piano bar where more will hear it...

#1070321 - 06/07/07 09:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

good idea Mark, I'll do that

#1070322 - 06/12/07 07:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Don Pittman Offline

Loc: Waterford MI
Well here is my first post the the forum and I am so happy I found a thred that dont make me feel completly dumb. Mark737 it is helpfull to see how others are cooping. I for some strange desire decided to take another shot at learning piano at age 60 I tried it a few years back but gave up. I am using The Older Beginner Piano Course by James Bastien. It sounds like the Alfreds book is similer . I have yet to get a teacher but I might some time. Right now I am some place in the Key of G and F . I look forward to folowing this thread.

Don

#1070323 - 06/12/07 08:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Pittman:
Well here is my first post the the forum and I am so happy I found a thred that dont make me feel completly dumb. Mark737 it is helpfull to see how others are cooping. I for some strange desire decided to take another shot at learning piano at age 60 I tried it a few years back but gave up. I am using The Older Beginner Piano Course by James Bastien. It sounds like the Alfreds book is similer . I have yet to get acher but I might some time. Right now I am some place in the Key of G and F . I look forward to folowing this thread. [/b]
Welcome to Piano World Don. There is a thread here called "Its never too Late" which is so true. So don't let a delayed start get you down. It's all about enjoying your practice, being patient and getting better each day, week, month and year.

In regard to a teacher, I personally recommend one, although many self teacher very well. In my case I started with a teacher in February and she has helped me get though some tough areas.

So don't be a stranger and enjoy Piano World...

Mark

#1070324 - 06/13/07 12:35 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Middle England
I guess I am just about at the same level as Don with my return to piano playing, or should I say learning to play, except I'm 63...but please don't spread it around. \:\) . I had piano lessons in my early teens when it was considered necessary, or compulsory, to learn to play a musical instrument; I think I gave up at 14 or 15. I played Classical Guitar for several decades so I'm fortunate to have the rudiments of music theory to help me a little. I've found great inspiration by lurking around this site and am using the Alfreds method too. I bought a low end digital piano which I will change up once I'm sure I'm truely addicted. It's slow going at the moment but I just keep taking a rest then going back to it and find things are beginning to sink in. A great site, thanks Folks.

#1070325 - 06/13/07 11:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by redcoat:
I guess I am just about at the same level as Don with my return to piano playing, or should I say learning to play, except I'm 63...but please don't spread it around. \:\) . I had piano lessons in my early teens when it was considered necessary, or compulsory, to learn to play a musical instrument; I think I gave up at 14 or 15. I played Classical Guitar for several decades so I'm fortunate to have the rudiments of music theory to help me a little. I've found great inspiration by lurking around this site and am using the Alfreds method too. I bought a low end digital piano which I will change up once I'm sure I'm truely addicted. It's slow going at the moment but I just keep taking a rest then going back to it and find things are beginning to sink in. A great site, thanks Folks. [/b]
Welcome Redcoat, it sounds like with your back-round you should progress pretty fast. Keep us posted with your progress and any questions.

Mark

#1070326 - 06/13/07 11:44 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

yay more newbies \:D Welcome all glad to have you here. It's never too late, just enjoy the journey and keep us posted.

#1070327 - 06/13/07 06:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Don Pittman Offline

redcoat All I can say isn't it great to be young.Now if I could just get so I change cords to what the music says, instead of what my mind tends to want to do I might make it to the next page . Hang in there with me.

Don

#1070328 - 06/13/07 07:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mario Ajero Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX
Mark737 and loly,

When you get a chance, let me know the URL of your YouTube channels if you got them. I'll then send out a "Friend Invite" so that we can start our "Private" YouTube piano lessons. I probably won't be able to record anything for you guys in the next couple weeks. But I will likely have time starting in July.

#1070329 - 06/14/07 03:00 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ok Mario, I'm hoping to record something this weekend. I keep trying but my new little puppy has different ideas. I got the firecracker of the litter and he eats up so much time. he goes full blast from the time I get home till almost bed time.

he's usually down for some serious napping on weekends because we have so much time with him that it wears him out. I have it planned out pretty good for tomorrow. we bought him a good sized pool and after he swims he goes down for the count, so i'm setting the camera up before his pool time so I can record while he's napping. wish me luck!!!

#1070330 - 06/16/07 02:17 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

I took delivery of the CD to accompany my Alfred’s Method yesterday. I actually ordered it before loly kindly uploaded some of the tracks earlier. I ordered it online from the USA so the shipping was longer and our customs probably held it for awhile. Anyway, my decision right off is - I’m glad I bought it, I’m trying to self teach so any help I can get is good. I found I had been cracking on through the book at too fast a pace and the CD has persuaded me to slow down a little. I hadn’t been paying enough attention to dynamics and tempo…I was playing far too slowly and when you speed up playing things gets harder, so I’ve back tracked to the earlier part of the book and started again. Thankfully I had only been playing a couple of weeks so I haven’t wasted too much time. A teacher would have picked me up on a number of points which the CD has helped me with. The CD is recorded in two parts, one stereo track is the student part, the actual song written in the book, and the other stereo track is an accompaniment, which would normally be played by the teacher. If you use in-ear headphones you can plug just the side playing the accompaniment into one ear and play along with it on your piano, there’s nothing like having to keep up with someone else playing for sharpening up your timing. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it’s disappointing they used such a tinny, electric, sounding piano to record the student part but the plus side to that is it makes my entry level digital piano sound great \:\) .I guess I shouldn’t advertise but I bought my CD from www.music44.com .

#1070331 - 06/16/07 10:02 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

good job redcoat, glad it's working out for you.

If you have a vhs recorder that you can record yourself, it would be awesome for you to upload the videos so that Mario, can critque them.

BTW Mario, I recorded the 3 pieces I'm on. There are some mistakes especially when my neighbor was mowing his lawn outside my window. going to upload them to youtube this evening. I'll give you the url and I'll make it private.

thanks so much for doing that. You rock \:D

#1070332 - 06/19/07 06:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
good job redcoat, glad it's working out for you. If you have a vhs recorder that you can record yourself, it would be awesome for you to upload the videos so that Mario, can critque them.
Thanks loly but I'm afraid it's way too early for me to commit my playing (fumbling?) to recording, but once I think I've got something useful to put online I'll connect my piano up to my PC. Anyway, I'm enjoying playing my piano at the moment which is the object of the exercise for me.

Hey Don[/b] , how're you doing? One thing I've discovered is I need to get a new eye test as my present reading specs aren't up to reading the music for too long before I need to rest my eye's, that's a job I need to get sorted next week. Apart from that I'm beginning to make steady progress, I'm just fumbling around page 59 now.

#1070333 - 06/19/07 07:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Don Pittman Offline

Well I did it. I started lessons last night. I am not sure how it's going to work out yet as I felt the instructor was distracted by her cell phone and in a hurry. I will give it and her a fair try however it was only my first lesson at least in a lot of years and it was more of a get to know each other and for her to figure out where I am at. I am sure it will help in the long run. :Redcoat talk about fumbling I was a case of nerves last night and could not play much of anything right. My hands were shaking.
Good luck on the new eyes. :rolleyes:

Don

#1070334 - 06/19/07 10:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Perplexed Offline

Loc: Hawaii
I'm making good progress so far with my lessons.

My second lesson was almost 2 weeks ago (third lesson will be this Friday). In the time between the 1st and 2nd lessons, I managed to blast through most of the first half of Alfred's book 1 (up to "Lavender's Blue" on page 52).

My pride got the best of me at my second lesson, and proudly told my teacher how far I got in the book. She asked me to play the song, which I did with no real problem, and then quickly put my pride in check by having me play the songs on page 54 and 55 (the progress "brick wall" which I am now noticing in a big way)

"London Bridge" was quite manageable, but Michael wasn't able to Row the Boat Ashore, as for some odd reason I made the weirdest of mistakes (forgetting to play the left hand notes, next try I forgot the right hand notes of the second line, and more). And no, I couldn't at all Blow the Man Down.

However, I've been practicing those songs as well as the following songs ("Lone Star Waltz" and "Cafe Vienna"), and I feel like I'm figuring things out little by little. A good feeling.

When I get brave enough I'll post a recording of an attempt (I know you're not laughing at me, you're laughing with me)

#1070335 - 06/20/07 02:41 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Alfred's book 1 (up to "Lavender's Blue" on page 52).
Hi perplexed, I think I must be using a different Alfred's Method book, page 52 in my book has a song called "The Bandleader". I also picked up a second hand piano method book the other day called "The Older Beginner Piano Course" Level 1 by James Bastien, it follows much the same way of teaching as the Alfred's but without a lot of the additional theory, intervals, etc., which I find confusing. Although, I'm sure the Alfred's is more comprehensive and a lot of people use it, so it must be the better way to learn. I'm musing on getting a teacher at the moment, I'll have to see if I can get one recommended by someone.

#1070336 - 06/20/07 11:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Perplexed:
I'm making good progress so far with my lessons.

My pride got the best of me at my second lesson, and proudly told my teacher how far I got in the book. She asked me to play the song, which I did with no real problem, and then quickly put my pride in check by having me play the songs on page 54 and 55 (the progress "brick wall" which I am now noticing in a big way)

[/b]
Great news on the lessons.

And you are so on the money about the page 52-55 page brick wall. From here on things will slow down.

As I stated earlier in this thread, it took me about 4-6 weeks to get to page 55 and then 5-6 months to finish the book, which I still visit today. I don't think I could of done it with out my teacher too. She got me through some tough spots.

So don't let the harder and more difficult pieces get you down, its all part of the process. Keep up the good work

Mark

#1070337 - 06/21/07 11:58 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Perplexed Offline

redcoat: Maybe you and I have different revisions of the book, or possibly yours is more advanced, as I haven't yet seen the Bandleader song yet.

Getting multiple instruction books is a good thing I think, that way one can select the best way from the book they are most comfortable with. I've found that the Alfred's book has the most gentle learning curve so far (for adults, anyway)

Mark737: Thank you. I'll definitely consider the slow progress of Book One's second half a "badge of honor" for even getting that far. I see you have topics for Books Two and Three now, have you already made it to the third book? Congratulations either way, especially for surviving Book One.

Also, I forgot to mention the update on my "right hand D7 chord" dilemma (hard to reach and/or using fingernails on the keys), which I will now. I did ask my teacher about it, and she offered the most obvious solution, to move the necessary fingertips up to the back half of the key. I felt a little silly when it was pointed out, but that way does make sense. Also explains why the white keys are designed the way they are.

#1070338 - 06/21/07 01:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Perplexed:

Mark737: Thank you. I'll definitely consider the slow progress of Book One's second half a "badge of honor" for even getting that far. I see you have topics for Books Two and Three now, have you already made it to the third book? Congratulations either way, especially for surviving Book One.[/b]
I wish I was in book three, but I'm just at the beginning of book 2 right now. I posted the book three thread for those who are there and those trying to get there \:D .

I'm still polishing the last two songs in book one as well, Amazing Grace and the Entertainer".
When I first looked at the back of book one, I said, "Man, I'll never be able to play that", but after a lot of practice and some time, bingo, you get there...

PS: There will be songs and days you say, this isn't working, but if you stay the course it will eventually...

Keep practicing...

Mark

#1070339 - 06/21/07 04:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Getting multiple instruction books is a good thing I think, that way one can select the best way from the book they are most comfortable with. I've found that the Alfred's book has the most gentle learning curve so far (for adults, anyway)
Perplexed: I'm definitely sticking to the Alfreds method, I think it's slow but sure progress. I think it's a restful diversion to play other material occasionally though, to avoid getting bored, I found that piece "Sonatina in C" that marv played for us on his U Tube site really good for an "*easy" piece in the middle "c" position, I downloaded it from web page

* I say "easy", nothings really easy for me yet.

#1070340 - 06/24/07 03:29 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
VJ. Offline

Hi Guys,
I am at Page 106 "Got Those Blues" in Alfred's All-in-One book. I am making a bit of slow process with my work and family schedule and Also, I am studying some music theory side by side when time permits at my work. Most of the times, I play the piece in the book and it does not come out quite well. If I listen to the CD and then play the piece, it sounds like how it really should be. Am I doing anything wrong here?

I am reading the notes of the piece by mixing intervals and note names. This is helpful at times and confusing some times. How do you people read pieces. Please educate me.

#1070341 - 06/24/07 12:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
Hi, I am a frequent poster on the teacher's forum. Please don't feel that I am being nosey but Mark737 made a request that some of the teachers looked at these threads to see if they could help.

I have to say, it seems like all of you are doing a great job with this book. I haven't used it much but it certainly seems to be very popular. If anyone has any technical or musical questions that just can't wait until the next lesson I would be happy to help out.

The recordings and videos some of you have posted were extremely good. I think that Mario's idea of an on line lesson is worth taking up. I hope you consider it.

Vijay, you are not doing anything wrong by listening to the CD. If you are working through the book on your own the CD is essential. It's important to know how a piece should sound. If anything, I would guess that rhythm and counting could be the issue if you find it sounds wrong before listening to the CD. The way you are reading the notes sounds fine but don't forget the counting.

Please say if this advice is not welcome. I wouldn't wish to intrude.

#1070342 - 06/24/07 09:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mo.
Hi all,
I'm teaching too and came over to check the threads on Alfred's as requested in the teacher's forum. (By the way, thanks for all who gave such helpful imput on my thread here in the ABF forum re: opinions on method's for adults.)

I taught for quite a while from the Alfred's Basic Piano Library and it sounds like although not all but some of the pieces are the same so I might be able to help on those pieces that are duplicated in Alfred's Basic Piano Library but hopefully won't stick my nose in where it doesn't belong. I do have an interest on opinions of those learning from the Aflred's Adult method as I would really like to have some adult students and want to have some options ready if I were to acquire any adult students.

On the "Blues" piece, I'm taking a wild guess that the difference between the sound playing straight from the page as written vs. the cd might be if the rhythm is meant to be played in a "blues style". Is there somewhere on the page that says, "play eighth notes in long-short pairs?" That is pretty a vague statement. Instead of playing even eighth notes (as written), if each pair of eighth notes is played with the first eighth note longer and the second one short, you get sort of a "lilting" rhythm, (sort of a galloping horse sound - is that the difference you hear on the cd vs. how it's written). You get a blues rhythm or sound vs. what otherwise looks and sounds like "boring" old even 8th notes. Hope this isn't barking up the wrong tree, but if I were guessing, it might be what the difference is on the sound of the cd. If it is the case, play the rhythm like it sounds on the cd and you'll be playing it with the intended rhythm.

#1070343 - 06/24/07 09:38 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

To everyone who has been following and/or participating in the Alfred threads, I just wanted to let you know that I started a thread in the teachers forum asking for teacher volunteers to help us in our learning journey. Since most of us are beginners I thought it would be nice to have some excellent resources to help us when we run into problems. I want to thanks Chris and sarabande for their help and anyone else who would like to offer their advise.

Mark

#1070344 - 06/25/07 01:47 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
VJ. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris H.:

Vijay, you are not doing anything wrong by listening to the CD. If you are working through the book on your own the CD is essential. It's important to know how a piece should sound. If anything, I would guess that rhythm and counting could be the issue if you find it sounds wrong before listening to the CD. The way you are reading the notes sounds fine but don't forget the counting.

Please say if this advice is not welcome. I wouldn't wish to intrude. [/b]
Hi Chris,
I totally agree to your advice and thanks for making me think on my problem. Yes, I think the counting is the problem. I will work on my internal metronome. Had it been a famous Classical Piece, I will have an idea of how the piece will sound (as I am an ardent listener of Classical music). But I agree to the fact that playing the piece without listening it before is actual playing. Well, it is good feeling that some teachers too are there to answer in this forum.

#1070345 - 06/25/07 11:51 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Perplexed Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark737:
To everyone who has been following and/or participating in the Alfred threads, I just wanted to let you know that I started a thread in the teachers forum asking for teacher volunteers to help us in our learning journey. Since most of us are beginners I thought it would be nice to have some excellent resources to help us when we run into problems. I want to thanks Chris and sarabande for their help and anyone else who would like to offer their advise.

Mark [/b]
I think that's a fantastic idea. I know I always need all the help and advice I can get.

And here's a small update on my progress, since I had my third lesson last Friday.

I arrived 10 minutes early, so I did the usual "wait outside the piano studio and contemplate the hundreds of potential mistakes I would make on each song, if I could remember how to play them at all" thing. But then I reversed course and tried to boost my confidence, saying "I'll do fine", and that seemed to work when the lesson started.

My teacher had me play both "Lone Star Waltz" and "Cafe Vienna", to see my progress. I noticed that Cafe Vienna seems like the easier song of the two. Maybe it's the sudden change to 6th "chords" in Lone Star Waltz.

While my Cafe Vienna attempt wasn't bad, she pointed out that I have a tendency to play slurred notes in a staccato "hard and fast" style. That I'll blame on my switching my keyboard's voice from Piano to Glockenspiel. That resulted in every note sounding like the sustain pedal is continually held, regardless of key press duration. Truly a bad habit I need to break.

I don't think my Lone Star Waltz attempt fared as well. There were the typical (to me) uncomfortable pauses at the points of the song where it switches from RH melody to RH 6ths (desperately trying to find the correct hand position for the 6ths) and then the same when it switches back to RH melody. I'll be practicing those two songs some more.

And my teacher thinks I did good enough on "Rock It Away", so I'm thinking my next lesson will be introducing me to scales (quite intimidating currently). I better start practicing those so I can get some experience.

#1070346 - 07/07/07 02:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

I notice the last post on this thread was by Perplexed on 25th June, I trust we're not falling by the wayside....?
I was advancing pretty rapidly through Book 1 and playing other pieces I had to hand but I've decided to consolidate where I'm at in Alfred's Book 1 now. Presently I'm stuck on "Alpine Melody" on Page 69. On first reading through it it looked fairly easy but I find it is not, especially when I try to pedal in the right bars. I think the best way to tackle is to learn the hands on keys part then apply the pedalling once that is mastered, trying to learn both hands plus pedalling seems to be my problem. Is there anyone else stuck here, or can advise please? I've still not got around to getting a teacher, perhaps thats where I'm going wrong.

Page 7 of 203 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 202 203 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai RX-2 and RX-2 BLAK
by myip
09/22/14 08:15 PM
UVi Grand Piano, cant get the MIDI Files help?
by JungleJim
09/22/14 06:23 PM
Sheet Music for "The Villain"
by johnbarnesiii
09/22/14 06:06 PM
measuring humidity for piano?
by pianomise
09/22/14 05:39 PM
52" Samick
by PaulBuck
09/22/14 04:56 PM
Who's Online
129 registered (accordeur, 36251, ando, AEMontoya, 42 invisible), 1275 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157697 Topics
2316337 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission