Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 182 of 203 < 1 2 ... 180 181 182 183 184 ... 202 203 >
Topic Options
#2130650 - 08/10/13 06:11 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Shey Offline

Loc: Greater Manchester, England
Earlofmar, you suggested people on book 1 and 2, work with some classicle pieces to aid left hand as Alfred's uses lots of chords.
Please can anyone suggest some pieces which are easy enough for someone nearing the end of book one.
I am intensively working on theory just now, but enjoy playing lovely music.
Adult returner

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2130664 - 08/10/13 06:51 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
mattroilanh_tt Offline

My new update:

Scarbourough Fair
  • Suzuki Piano School Volume 1 & 2

Start Date: 11/01/2013

#2130738 - 08/10/13 11:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Sundew Offline

Loc: England
Shey - 3 suggestions Festival Collection, Classics to Modern book 1, Masterworks Classics Book 1/2, which should be well within your reach. I've not tried Masterworks but I find publications with CD's most helpful.

All are unmodified pieces. The Festival Collection/Succeeding with the Masters series has expanded since I first came across it and I am enjoying the Etudes. I abandoned Alfred part way through Book 2 without regrets.

#2130817 - 08/10/13 02:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mattroilanh_tt]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: mattroilanh_tt
My new update:

Scarbourough Fair

Dat was nice. Thank you. Hope you're having fun learning.

#2131064 - 08/11/13 01:45 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: sydnal]
Johnny D Offline

Loc: Brazil
Originally Posted By: sydnal
I have been struggling with the next piece, Laura, for close to 2 weeks and I had a long recording session tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcjID4MYnqY

Laura is in my opinion the most challenging piece in this book. Your recording sounded pretty good, impressive for only 2 weeks working on it, however that little bass run up in the 2nd to last measure seemed a little quick to me. Remember those are quarter notes.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#2131082 - 08/11/13 02:57 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
mattroilanh_tt I love this piece for so many reasons. Your playing was just great, nice steady rhythm and balance.

#2131093 - 08/11/13 04:05 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
mattroilanh_tt Offline

Thanks earlofmar and rnaple. The final pieces of the book are really challenging. I am thinking of just skip it then go ahead to book 2 or play around some time with those pieces >"<
  • Suzuki Piano School Volume 1 & 2

Start Date: 11/01/2013

#2131108 - 08/11/13 06:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Shey Offline

I don'have Laura in my All In One book 1, I'm glad because it sounds difficult.
Johnny D, love the Bob Dylan avatar, can you play anything of his? I would love to learn "To Make Yo Feel my Love", my kids think it's Adele's song, ha ha.
Adult returner

#2131354 - 08/11/13 06:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
starbug Offline

Loc: Scotland, United Kingdom, Sol,...
@ Shey

Bach is the man for supplementals, in my opinion. Many pieces are quite easy and beautiful

BWV 846
BWV 924 (without the mordants)
BWV 939
BWV 999 (this is perhaps a little harder)

Those are within the level of end of book one (that's when I learned those)

#2131563 - 08/12/13 07:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: starbug]
Shey Offline

Thanks for the intro to those Bach pieces. Can you tell me where to find them? I am liking the songs at the end of Alfred's, and getting lots of help with my theory from this forum.
Adult returner

#2131582 - 08/12/13 08:12 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Shey, you can get the Bach pieces free at

http://imslp.org/

#2131654 - 08/12/13 10:17 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Shey]
Johnny D Offline

Originally Posted By: Shey
Johnny D, love the Bob Dylan avatar, can you play anything of his? I would love to learn "To Make Yo Feel my Love", my kids think it's Adele's song, ha ha.

I used to play a lot of Dylan stuff on the guitar. Just went downstairs and tried to mess around with Like A Rolling Stone on the piano. Couldn't get it to sound too good though. I'm still a novice, I guess.

On a side note, an interesting thing I found out in the past couple of years is that a lot of musicians like Dylan and Springsteen that we associate with being guitar players actually wrote a lot of their music on piano. In fact, Springsteen said that he wrote all of Born to Run on a little Aeolian piano in a small house that he had rented in New Jersey.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#2131911 - 08/12/13 04:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Shey]
starbug Offline

Loc: Scotland, United Kingdom, Sol,...
Thanks for the intro to those Bach pieces. Can you tell me where to find them? I am liking the songs at the end of Alfred's, and getting lots of help with my theory from this forum.

I found some of them on the link a couple of posts above.. but have a look on the internet in general.. search :-

"bwvxxx sheet".

You maybe find some with fingering, which does help!

#2131997 - 08/12/13 07:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Johnny D]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Johnny D

I used to play a lot of Dylan stuff on the guitar. Just went downstairs and tried to mess around with Like A Rolling Stone on the piano. Couldn't get it to sound too good though. I'm still a novice, I guess.

On a side note, an interesting thing I found out in the past couple of years is that a lot of musicians like Dylan and Springsteen that we associate with being guitar players actually wrote a lot of their music on piano. In fact, Springsteen said that he wrote all of Born to Run on a little Aeolian piano in a small house that he had rented in New Jersey.

I went to see Jon Anderson earlier in the year, the ex lead singer of Yes and one of the main songwriters of the band. He played some of progressive rock's greatest pieces by strumming a beat up nylon string guitar and singing alone, no back up band or fancy tricks just him. One of the best concerts I have been to.

#2132089 - 08/13/13 01:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
sydnal Offline

earlofmar: Thanks, it gives me some consolation to know that my recording problem is a general one.

rnaple: Thanks.

JohnnyD: I think you are right about those quarter notes, I hadn't noticed it. (Probably because the last note is fermata, it fills the measure and keeps it from sounding weird/incomplete). As for Laura being the most challenging piece, I don't know. I am working on "Have yourself a merry little Christmas" at the moment and it has been really difficult so far, it's probably more difficult than Laura I'd say. Also there is Chatanooga Choo Choo at the end, it's 4 pages long and from the recordings I watched on youtube longer than 2 and a half minutes. That should be hard too I think.

#2132131 - 08/13/13 05:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: sydnal]
Shey Offline

I wonder what book you are talking about here, have I missed something here? This is not the All In One book 1 is it. My book ends with The Entertainer, no Laura or Christmas songs. Just wondering are you talking about the supplemental books?
Apologies, I'm finding piano studying fills my brain so I may have missed what book you were discussing.
Adult returner

#2132168 - 08/13/13 08:32 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
sydnal Offline

Shey; mine is called "Adult All-in-One Course: Lesson, Theory, Technique Level 1".

What I ordered was exactly this, from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0882848186

There are 6 pieces after Amazing Grace, which the book refers to as "popular selection" or something like that. I remember somebody mentioned he had a version of the book with 4 popular songs rather than 6. So I am susecting there are several versions.

#2132179 - 08/13/13 09:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Shey]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Older editions do not have the "popular selections" at the end of the book. And from what I have heard, some have only five selections and some have seven. If you want the extra selections you need to purchase from a place that does not have old stock.

#2132180 - 08/13/13 09:17 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Edited by scorpio (08/13/13 09:19 AM)
Edit Reason: Added UK link.

#2132451 - 08/13/13 07:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: scorpio]
Shey Offline

Thanks for the info, I have the older version with no extra songs, I realise I have had mine a few years before I used it. Can you get the DVD as a seperate item? I expect that is helpful.
Adult returner

#2132484 - 08/13/13 08:38 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
You can get the DVD (plus the extra songs) with the latest version of the condensed (not all-in-one) version of the book.
Amazon Link
Be careful, there are other older editions of the same book that don't have the new songs (and don't come with the DVD).

ETA: I think it's at an extra low price at Amazon right now to complete with SheetMusicPlus, who are currently running a method book sale.
Sheet Music Plus link

Edited by tangleweeds (08/13/13 08:41 PM)

neglected piano blog

#2132502 - 08/13/13 09:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Shey]
Daniel Corban Offline

Loc: Canada
I don't suggest expending effort to get the newer printing with the supplemental pieces. I found them boring overall and aren't part of any lesson, so I felt like I wasn't really learning anything in particular.

#2132634 - 08/14/13 05:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: earlofmar]
Johnny D Offline

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
I went to see Jon Anderson earlier in the year, the ex lead singer of Yes and one of the main songwriters of the band. He played some of progressive rock's greatest pieces by strumming a beat up nylon string guitar and singing alone, no back up band or fancy tricks just him. One of the best concerts I have been to.

Sounds awesome. I love that song, Your Move.

Edit: After watching a couple of clips of Jon Anderson playing Your Move, I went downstairs and started messing around with it on the piano. I thought the song sounded pretty good on piano. So, I decided I would try to transcribe a bit of it on musescore and share it (image below).

I'm not sure if the melody is quite right, but feel free to improvise. Also, note that for most of the song there are basically only 3 chords : E, F#m, G#m. However there is also an A chord when it goes to the part... Captured for the Queen to use

Larger image

Edited by Johnny D (08/14/13 09:44 AM)
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#2132720 - 08/14/13 09:57 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Daniel Corban]
Johnny D Offline

Originally Posted By: Daniel Corban
I don't suggest expending effort to get the newer printing with the supplemental pieces. I found them boring overall and aren't part of any lesson, so I felt like I wasn't really learning anything in particular.

This is the book I have: Alfred's Self-Teaching Adult Piano Course
Unfortunately I didn't get the DVD because this edition wasn't out yet when I ordered the previous edition that came only with a CD

I've enjoyed the supplemental pieces, and while they have not needed an introduction explaining new techniques and such, they have been quite challenging and have helped me further get accustomed to recognizing the notes on the staves.

One thing they have done in the bonus songs is that they have eliminated some, but not all, of the cues as to which fingers to use. I believe this was done so as to slowly wean us off of this crutch so that we can play more general sheet music without all the finger cues, and to progress in the future.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#2132967 - 08/14/13 08:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

#2133124 - 08/15/13 01:42 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: scorpio]
Shey Offline

Scorpio, I really liked your two pieces and Raisin and Almonds was lovely. I don't know that tune at all it sounds a bit Russian, those are the two I am working on just now hoping to get them to sound as lovely as you made them sound.
Adult returner

#2133129 - 08/15/13 02:17 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nice work Scorpio

#2133273 - 08/15/13 10:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: earlofmar]
Johnny D Offline

@scorpio - Great job! Sounds really smooth.

@Shey - Raisins and Almonds is a Jewish folk song. I think it does have an East European, Fiddler on the Roof, kind of feel to it.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#2135128 - 08/19/13 12:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
sydnal Offline

@scorpio Very smooth recordings, congratulations.

I also have progress to report, my take on "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHLT5roqtTA

This piece was really challenging and in my opinion the hardest one so far in the book. Took me lots of work but luckily I had a lot of free time from work. Only 2 pieces left now, can't wait smile

#2135150 - 08/19/13 01:33 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Johnny D Offline

Sounds great sydnal. Everything seemed right, although perhaps it could be played a little slower.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

Page 182 of 203 < 1 2 ... 180 181 182 183 184 ... 202 203 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just Checked out a Richmond Studio upright
by Paul678
6 minutes 4 seconds ago
Piece ID
by IstvánE
Yesterday at 10:14 PM
Pre purchase inspection
by mellie62
Yesterday at 10:00 PM
Do Parents want to hear the truth anymore?
by chasingrainbows
Yesterday at 09:28 PM
DEBUSSY- 'The terrace for moonlit audiences'
by Hal Freedman
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
Who's Online
66 registered (barbaram, accordeur, Ben_NZ, billpst, AliAlkhiro, 12 invisible), 952 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76281 Members
42 Forums
157682 Topics
2316091 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission