2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 9 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 109 of 452 1 2 107 108 109 110 111 451 452
M
M
So I had my lesson today, and it went well, my teacher said I need to get a full size piano really soon. He said I'm doing well is happy with all my songs, I'm doing a review this year before moving on to 58 in the book. I'm also working on 8 days a week and the Greatest Hit level one (which I picked up today. I'm truly love playing the piano, and I never thought I would.

Today I got my piano, it's a Yamaha DXG-630.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dee180
I am an older adult beginner also. I was so happy to find these forums!!! Had accordian (of all things) lessons as a kid and have now started piano lessons.

Hey, Dee, welcome to the forum! You're not the only reformed accordionist here; there are several of us (including yours truly) who started off with accordion and then made the switch to piano later on.

I'm much happier now, though. grin

A
Azk Offline
A
Thanks for the advice Rich. I'll keep those things in mind when I play later on. Currently working on Money Can't Buy Everything.

Welcome Dee.

Well done to everyone who is progressing along the book.

I must be strange , I played can can at sight , memorized it quickly and loved it..lol

My greatest hits level one has just arrived and I am pleased with it. A nice selection of tunes for general playing. Hopefully will keep me busy and stop me attacking the last three tunes in the book too early, after progressing through the book so quickly I really don't want to jump into book two too soon.

How has everyone approached this book.. playing in order or picking out a favourite ?

Oh and I'm getting excited.. my hubby has agreed to support me if I go for lessons now instead of waiting till next year.. so am currently researching local teachers and may start lessons after the summer holidays.

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Good job Leon!
I think Chiapanecas is like rubbing your tummy and patting your head to music. smile
Which oddly, I can do quite well when the right hand is on the
head, but not vice versa.

B
B
I'm working on:
Lesson pag. 44: Good Morning to You.
Sight Reading pag. 18: The G Major & D7 Chords for Right Hand
Greatest Hits #3: My Heart Will Go On.
I do like #1 Love Me Tender (memorised), but I skipped Edelweiss.
Everything is going well and I have ordered six more Alfred's books, so I guess I will be busy the next days (weeks... months... years? :-)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome boogieman! Sounds great!

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
B
B
Thanks for the welcome! :-)
I wonder if anybody has recorded the tunes from The Greatest Hits.
It would be a wonderful help for us beginners...
Thanks in advance.

R
R
I can play "Beauty and the beast" from the greatest hits book perfectly. Haven't really tried the other songs yet. Still working on the Can-can song...it's tricky

Practice makes perfect...blah blah blah - Romolo
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Good job on "Beauty and the Beast", Romolo. I haven't worked on it enough to make it perfect, but I could probably get it that way easy enough if I wasn't working on so many things at once. The "Can-Can" is sort of like "Blow the Man Down". It's the rhythm that gets you. Once you get that down it's a lot of fun to play. I had "Can-Can" near perfect, but haven't played it for a while.

My main focus right now is back to "Good People" which I can actually stumble through now, hitting the right notes with absolutely dreadful timing, and "Little Brown Jug" which I have nailed the RH but still very awkward HT. I do hear some definite improvement (finally) on both of them. I stepped away from these two pieces for a while and played from my Faber Adult book and my Alfred Adult Pop Songbook, and lots of scales. I just started back on them last night and I'm going to put some real effort into them this week.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I continue to work on "Over the Rainbow" and just about have the first section down, (without pedal) but still am working on the rest. At this point with only 2 weeks left til the recital, not sure if I'll have it ready or not...still trying. This has definitely put the slow-down on progress thorough the book though. frown

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
P
P
Hi all!!

Welcome, Dee180 -- Don't give up on Can Can, it's such a valuable rhythm pattern to learn and once you get it you'll have accomplished something really terrific! smile

To those of you working on O Sole Mio -- this is a GREAT song for working on interpretation, feeling, and subtle dynamics. It has the potential to be a really gorgeous song and one you could even memorize as one of those "play something for me!" pieces when friends and family ask.

I don't have the Alfred's Greatest Hits books but will look into getting them -- I'd love to provide recordings for that and the All-in-One books. I'm probably looking at fall before I have time to tackle that, though!

Find some help for stage fright and share what helps you -- Stage Fright Tips. Let's learn from each other!

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
My main focus right now is back to "Good People" which I can actually stumble through now, hitting the right notes with absolutely dreadful timing, and "Little Brown Jug" which I have nailed the RH but still very awkward HT. I do hear some definite improvement (finally) on both of them.

Good for you mom3gram... sounds as if the time away was productive.

To those of you working on O Sole Mio -- this is a GREAT song for working on interpretation, feeling, and subtle dynamics. It has the potential to be a really gorgeous song and one you could even memorize as one of those "play something for me!" pieces when friends and family ask.

Spent time with this one yesterday and I agree, I think it is a keeper. One I will probably memorize - so as to be able to play with feeling.

D
D
Thank you for all the welcomes!!! Yes, I too am much happier with the piano - the accordian doesn't seem to be too popular these days.
I won't give up on Can Can even though I hate it. Have a lesson tonite and am looking forward to new material.
Working in that book "My first book of Classical music" is what keeps me going. I love it.
I'm glad I'm old enough now to have given up my need for instant gratification smile

O sole mio is waiting for me when I pick up Alfred again... and I'm dreading it.. already all I hear is Just one cornetto....

B
B
Originally Posted by PianoTeacherKim

I don't have the Alfred's Greatest Hits books but will look into getting them -- I'd love to provide recordings for that and the All-in-One books. I'm probably looking at fall before I have time to tackle that, though!

It would be great and I would appreciate! :-)

R
R
"Beauty and the Beast" in the Greatest hits book is really easy cuz you're really only playing one hand at a time. And the few times you do play with both hands at the same time...its usually your left hand holding down keys while your right hand plays a few different notes. I think that's why I was able to get it so quickly. But it's fun to play smile

Practice makes perfect...blah blah blah - Romolo
B
B
Just started Standing in the Need Of Prayer.
I love the steady rhythm, the melody in the RH and the chords in the LH. It's simple, but effective.
For those who prefer a little more complicated version, here are some ideas: :-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV3-ApRC_S0&feature=related

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by boogieman52
Just started Standing in the Need Of Prayer.
I love the steady rhythm, the melody in the RH and the chords in the LH. It's simple, but effective.
For those who prefer a little more complicated version, here are some ideas: :-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV3-ApRC_S0&feature=related

That sounds a little like my post... but I might need to go back and review my music- I may have left out a couple of notes. laugh

B
B
Working on The Gift to be Simple, a nice melody that brings me back to the Sixties... :-)
I found this more elaborate version of this tune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYxuk0ms6FM
You can get here the free printable sheet music, just to check the differences: http://makingmusicfun.net/htm/f_printit_free_printable_sheet_music/simple-gifts-piano-solo.htm
Have a nice weekend!

Page 109 of 452 1 2 107 108 109 110 111 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission