Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 189 of 205 < 1 2 ... 187 188 189 190 191 ... 204 205 >
Topic Options
#2207026 - 01/02/14 05:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Welcome effae

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2207085 - 01/02/14 07:41 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ajames]
Daniel Corban Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: ajames
Happy New Year!

I'm still working on the bonus pieces at the back of book 1. It seems like those 6 pieces will take more time than the rest of book! They are fun to play though, and I'm adding "over the rainbow" to my limited repertoire (if I can use such a grandiose word to describe a few simple pieces from a method book smile )

Of all those bonus pieces, Over the Rainbow is the only one of which I put in any considerable effort. I enjoy how this arrangement sounds. It's presents a nice piece with introductory pedalling.

The only other piece of interest to me is The Entertainer. However, it is one of my ultimate goals to be able to perform the original Joplin version, so the level 1 arrangement felt flat to me. I'll just wait until I can play the real deal. It's in my Yamaha "50 greats" book, so I am prepared for that day.

#2207091 - 01/02/14 07:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Daniel Corban]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: Daniel Corban

The only other piece of interest to me is The Entertainer. ..

I've looked at and played a little of The Entertainer from Alfred's.
I also am booked on the Joplin recital to do The Entertainer. Easy A Part. As part of this. I've fooled around with another harder version and the Original. So I'm working on it.

I'd say the version in Alfred's is like all the other versions of Alfred's. There is something in there to teach you technically. It leans that direction and sacrifices musicality. Which I actually think is good. One is there to learn.

#2207093 - 01/02/14 07:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ajames]
Daniel Corban Offline

Originally Posted By: ajames
I had a talk with my teacher about where to go after Alfreds 1 and we decided that it would be good to continue with Alfreds 2. The music choices maybe aren't the greatest, but I don't find that a huge drawback. I like the steady progression the method books give.

I have no issue with the piece selection in book 2. I find that each piece has its reason for being in the books, and the series has not let me down yet.

I am convinced that I would not be where I am today without the Alfred books. They seem to be the ideal progression for the adult self-learner. I have learned quite a bit from the teacher I began seeing when I started book 2, but one can certainly get through book 1 alone and come out proficient.

#2207148 - 01/02/14 09:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
ricardob Offline

Since it's a new year I've decided to stop lurking around the forums and participate, so HELLO!

I'm almost done with Alfred AIO book 1, currently on page 138(He's got a whole world in his hands). Excited to get to the final pieces.

I usually record a version before moving on, so I'll eventually post something more substantial.

#2207162 - 01/02/14 09:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ricardob]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ricardob
Since it's a new year I've decided to stop lurking around the forums and participate, so HELLO!

I usually record a version before moving on, so I'll eventually post something more substantial.

Welcome ricardob, look forward to hearing a recording so don't be shy. Big decision coming up.....will you be going onto book 2

#2207264 - 01/03/14 03:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
effae Offline

Thanks for the warm welcome ajames and earlofmar! And thanks for the useful tip ajames. I've been active on several other forums for years and years, and have never thought of such a clever method of skimming through / searching in a long thread!

#2207294 - 01/03/14 05:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: effae]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: effae
Thanks for the warm welcome ajames and earlofmar! And thanks for the useful tip ajames. I've been active on several other forums for years and years, and have never thought of such a clever method of skimming through / searching in a long thread!

I think I spend more time at this forum actually in old posts which will usually answer any question I have. It is a remarkable resource

#2207850 - 01/04/14 02:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: earlofmar]
ricardob Offline

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
Big decision coming up.....will you be going onto book 2

Already on the shelf, waiting.

#2207866 - 01/04/14 03:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ricardob]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ricardob
Originally Posted By: earlofmar
Big decision coming up.....will you be going onto book 2

Already on the shelf, waiting.
thumb

#2207899 - 01/04/14 07:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Welcome new folks! Piano is a lifetime of adventure and we're glad to talk about it...obviously as you can see on PW. People who don't play have no interest (REALLY no interest) in talking about what you're playing or struggling with but we have this haven on PW where we can babble away about every nuance of our obsession with piano. My teacher starts everyone on Alfred I think...we used the regular series of 6 levels and I still pull them out occasionally just to play some favorites. Kind of like sight reading but some recessed memory in there. I've picked 10 pieces from the hundreds I've played but never committed totally to memory as repertoire for the year. My goal is to have them at play-ready for the whole year so that when someone insists "play for us" , I have something that would sound reasonably proficient. Those of you in Alfred could do the same thing...keep those pieces that you like fresh and perform-able.
Snowing here...need coffee and piano time.

Love to learn

#2207901 - 01/04/14 07:21 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
DreamOfSleeping Offline

Today I started learning O Sole Mio with the words "Just one cornetto, give it to me" playing in my head! It sounded terrible when I followed the pedal markings. But I worked out my own way of using the pedal that I think worked well. I got the notes down, but will probably take a couple more practice session before I can play the whole thing without mistakes. Also the same wth Jericho. There is a natural G note in Jericho, that I found unusual as the rest of the song is using the A harmonic minor scale.

These pieces are not much fun at all. I enjoyed learning Little Brown Jug the other day. I also looked ahead to book two and roughly learned the first page of the La Bamba one (not sure on spelling), which was a lot more fun. I can't wait for book two!

#2208541 - 01/05/14 08:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: evamar]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
Right now at "Joy for the World", page 123, a nice surprise when I turned the page today.

Tomorrow it's the 12 day of Xmas, Epiphany. 6th of January.

In Spain we celebrate this day as the Tres Reyes Magos (3 Wise Men (Magi) giving presents to baby Jesus, so we used to exchange presents that day instead of the 25th. I didn't have Santa or even a Christmas tree as a kid as it is a pagan tradition and Spain was quite different then, but now we really share presents both days. At the end of the day, celebrating the 25th of December was just chosen for its pagan importance, so it's just normal that other traditions converge.

So still good to play a Xmas song tomorrow... and have some Roscon de Reyes for breakfast right after exchanging presents and have some turron in the afternoon too, of course! laugh

All decorations to go on Tuesday. I always feel sad when I have to put everything back to boxes. frown

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

#2208553 - 01/05/14 09:26 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: DreamOfSleeping]
DreamOfSleeping Offline

Originally Posted By: DreamOfSleeping

There is a natural G note in Jericho, that I found unusual as the rest of the song is using the A harmonic minor scale.

Turned out that I was playing the wrong notes. I was playing the bass cleff notes as if they were trebble cleff notes!

#2208567 - 01/05/14 10:08 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: evamar]
rnaple Offline

Originally Posted By: evamar
Tomorrow it's the 12 day of Xmas, Epiphany. 6th of January.

In Spain we celebrate this day as the Tres Reyes Magos (3 Wise Men (Magi) giving presents to baby Jesus, so we used to exchange presents that day instead of the 25th. I didn't have Santa or even a Christmas tree as a kid as it is a pagan tradition and Spain was quite different then, but now we really share presents both days. At the end of the day, celebrating the 25th of December was just chosen for its pagan importance, so it's just normal that other traditions converge.

So still good to play a Xmas song tomorrow... and have some Roscon de Reyes for breakfast right after exchanging presents and have some turron in the afternoon too, of course! laugh

All decorations to go on Tuesday. I always feel sad when I have to put everything back to boxes. frown

That's a nice way to celebrate Christmas. Interesting to read. Like reading about those who actually celebrate Christmas as Christmas. All the Sante Claus and stuff just fits in with the rest of society. Like how food has gone to fast food and energy drinks and... it's all just edible food like substances. It's not even real food.

I put up decorations for the outside for everyone to see. Patronize them and making the season happy. I have a little tree. Put it in a window. Decorate the window side of it with lights and such to look nice. The back of it which I face. It is decorated with candy canes and notes. The canes, and notes were from free lunches at day labor. Written by children at a church school who packed the lunches. My own personal celebration of what is really important.
In short....society celebrates receiving at Christmas.
I like to celebrate giving.
Because Christmas is the time where mankind received the greatest gift of all. And mankind killed it.

Edited by rnaple (01/05/14 10:12 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

#2209226 - 01/06/14 09:57 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
claiz Offline

Hi all, I just started to use Alfred all in one adult book level 1 to self learn piano. I used to play some Trombone back in high school day but I long to be able to play piano and so at age 34, here I am. I figure since I am a beginner, if I put in the time and effort I can only get better.

My question is what is your practice routine? Just do the all in one book? Add other practice? Scale? How muh time each day?

#2209458 - 01/06/14 02:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: claiz]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Hi claiz, welcome. I started with Alfred Book 1 last January. My quick advise here would be to concentrate on Book 1 for now. Work a few pieces at a time. Try to grasp the concept that each piece focuses on. Take your time. For the most part, I practice in several sessions throughout the day. You will need to find what works for you. Once you get through some of the book you can look into supplemental material. There are alot of options depending on your interests. Read through this thread (I know its long) but there is a ton of useful information.

Good luck to you!

#2213774 - 01/13/14 01:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
sretsbor Offline

Well, with life getting in the way, it took me about a year from my first post here to get my keyboard but I picked up a used Yamaha P95 in great shape and I just received my Alfred Adult All in One Level 1 course and I have a teacher lined up to start giving me lessons in a few weeks. Whew, that was one long sentence!

I'm 54 years old, brand new to the piano but have about 6-7 years on guitar under my belt. I know very little guitar theory other than basic chord constructs and I'm looking forward to learning a little music theory on the piano and blending in the theory between piano and guitar. Anyway just wanted to say hello and introduce myself to the thread.

Rob

#2214154 - 01/13/14 07:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
rnaple Offline

Welcome Claiz... Definitely work through what you have in Alfred's first. That is most important. Then, whatever you want. Also...it's very important to practice often. The amount of time is not important. At least once a day. Some have come up with using a timer to limit practice to 15 minutes. Helps to keep one focused. At least take a little break. Then resume if you want. I find the timer helpful for grabbing little practice times here and there. Gee... it's only 15 minutes. I can practice that much before I do this and that and whatever.

Welcome Rob.... I think you'll find all the theory you need for guitar from piano. Then guitar is just technical how to do it. Don't get discouraged when you get to about page 50 and you slow way down. The playing both hands is a major undertaking.

#2214335 - 01/14/14 05:05 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
paul1971 Offline

I have been playing for a few months now and have mastered chiapanecas. Have skipped a few songs here and there, ones I just find uninteresting. Tend to learn two songs from Alfreds at once and have a repertoire of maybe seven Alfred songs I can play without the music in front of me. I practise nearly everyday but have noticed if I miss a day or two I can come back stronger on the songs I am currently learning. I really like Alfreds book one. I purchased it because it was popular on these forums.

#2214822 - 01/14/14 08:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Daniel Corban Offline

It is interesting how a day or two break somehow makes you a better player the next time you sit down to play the same pieces.

#2216009 - 01/17/14 02:02 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
SmellsLikeABeer Offline

Got to The Entertainer in All In One today. Worked on it hands separate for 30 minutes after messing with Joy To The World for 15 minutes. Tried playing The Entertainer hands together could not. The songs are getting really syncopated and there is more hand independence needed. Happy after new years everybody.

Edited by SmellsLikeABeer (01/17/14 02:04 AM)

#2216359 - 01/17/14 06:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Johnny D Offline

Loc: Brazil
The Entertainer is a tricky one. Stick with it, and it should come together.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#2216382 - 01/17/14 08:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
SmellsLikeABeer Offline

I feel like I am missing the music appreciation of these songs without a teacher. Why is The Entertainer the ice cream truck song? Like these songs versus modern music on the radio. All I can do is listen because I never hear what they're about through word of mouth. I need some cool friends. I guess that is what a teacher is for.

#2216410 - 01/17/14 09:41 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: SmellsLikeABeer]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SmellsLikeABeer
All I can do is listen because I never hear what they're about through word of mouth. I need some cool friends. I guess that is what a teacher is for.

This is so true, for many of us the interaction with a teacher is the only one we ever have with a real pianist.

#2216432 - 01/17/14 10:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I often wonder what Scott Joplin would think about achieving immortality as the ice cream truck song.

Your song, in every ear... all summer long.

neglected piano blog

#2216586 - 01/18/14 09:31 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
The ice cream truck in my town plays "Turkey in the Straw". LOL

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#2216990 - 01/19/14 04:38 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
paul1971 Offline

Have skipped a few pages and gone straight from chiapanecas to the entertainer which I have been practising for over a week now. Aim to play it for my quarterly recital. The songs I missed I will probably go back and learn afterwards. Would love to play the full version of entertainer it's a classic. Am well enjoying playing and thinking of getting lessons.

#2218777 - 01/22/14 12:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: claiz]
Hitry Plan Offline

claiz, IMHO, one hour exercise a day is enough

Edited by Hitry Plan (01/22/14 12:59 PM)

#2218787 - 01/22/14 01:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Daniel Corban]
cmb13 Offline

Hello, forum.

3 more songs! I started in May or June, I believe.

I have enjoyed a few more than I expected, including:
The Entertainer
Laura
At Last

Just need to get past Have Yourself a Very Merry Christmas and two more. (Did I see Gilligan's Island? Hope not.) Then my teacher wants to start on some Bach. Not sure I'm ready for that but I've been doing Hanon's for a while, although slowly. I'm sure it will be the dumbed-down version of Bach!

Edited by cmb13 (01/22/14 08:24 PM)

Page 189 of 205 < 1 2 ... 187 188 189 190 191 ... 204 205 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Lock Key -> what is it used for ?
by angga888
10/31/14 12:02 AM
Yurmauer Piano
by PhilipInChina
10/30/14 11:54 PM
Books to Learn Notes for Teenagers?
by pianoheart
10/30/14 11:37 PM
Jim Laabs Music - my experience buying a grand sight-unseen
by ernani
10/30/14 09:44 PM
Buying a Grand Paino Sight-Unseen - my personal experience.
by ernani
10/30/14 09:01 PM
Who's Online
72 registered (angga888, ando, 21 invisible), 1543 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76712 Members
42 Forums
158628 Topics
2329755 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission