Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 188 of 201 < 1 2 ... 186 187 188 189 190 ... 200 201 >
Topic Options
#2178828 - 11/08/13 01:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
E. Christensen Offline

I have known many students, old and young alike, who have benefited from this series. I am glad to see such a great discussion around it!

Edited by E. Christensen (11/08/13 01:14 AM)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2178844 - 11/08/13 03:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Alux Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia (Originally f...
Thanks everyone, I'm really looking forward to getting into the Level 2.
She's also started me on studying for Preliminary exam for the Australian Music Exam Board as a supplement.

ajames- I really enjoyed learning the last two songs. Take your time and don't rush as they'll fall into place before you realise it. Shame there wasn't Over The Rainbow in my book as I wouldn't mind that.

Wolf616- Keep at it as it's all about having fun while you learn. I found that some song others had problems with were straight forward for me while some that made my hair fall out was easy for others. I'd suggest taking lessons to help guide you along (Case in point I need to learn the Em harmonic scale for two octaves both hands. It was never covered in Alfred's so I kept forgetting the F# until my teacher pointed it out. Apparently I was having a "man look" while I maintain I need better reading glasses... lol).
Alfred's Adult All-In-One Level 1 Graduate

#2178872 - 11/08/13 05:37 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Alux]
Wolf616 Offline

Originally Posted By: Alux
Wolf616- Keep at it as it's all about having fun while you learn. I found that some song others had problems with were straight forward for me while some that made my hair fall out was easy for others. I'd suggest taking lessons to help guide you along (Case in point I need to learn the Em harmonic scale for two octaves both hands. It was never covered in Alfred's so I kept forgetting the F# until my teacher pointed it out. Apparently I was having a "man look" while I maintain I need better reading glasses... lol).

Thanks. The main reason I took it up was just to have some fun, which is part of the reason I decided to wait to get a teacher: I'm sure many are not too pushy and obsessed with exams (which I have no interest in) but all the ones around where I live seem to be keen to take on students who want to do the formal certificate route. I don't really know how to find one who's different, to be honest. I do use an array of different books to supplement the Alfred one - I just see that as the basic building blocks. I've just ordered a beginners blues book which should be good fun.

You'll all be pleased to hear, no doubt, that I've managed to play that song all the way through now with very few mistakes. Hooray! Page 57 here I come.

#2179914 - 11/10/13 03:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Alux Offline

I guess that's where I'm lucky Wolf. My teacher isn't pushy at all. She's studying Performing Arts at one of the local Universities and understands the importance of working at ones own pace without pressure. In the early days we spoke of my studying for certificates and made it very clear that would be totally up to me. I decided to study for the exams now that I've upgraded my digital piano and passed All-In-One level one. Perhaps you should look for a music major as a teacher like I have.

#2183410 - 11/16/13 02:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Loc: Texas
I'd like to share some recordings with you all:
Scarborough Fair

I only played through once on this recording, it is supposed to be repeated with the right hand one octave higher. I probably added too much reverb also.

The Entertainer
a little rough, lots of bobbles and the odd pause. blush

I've been recording for a while for posterity's sake. Thanks to Scorpio and Earlofmar for that suggestion.

Since I started working with an instructor, I actually started listening to my recordings shocked . It made me realize I wasn't getting pieces polished very well before moving on and that really showed when I tried to play in front of the teacher.

So I've been putting in more effort on polishing the pieces and making better recordings. There's still a big gap between how they sound and how I *want* them to sound. When I say "big gap", of course I mean "huge, gaping abyss" laugh

Edited by ajames (11/16/13 02:25 PM)

#2183457 - 11/16/13 04:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ajames]
pwl Offline

Loc: Bay Area CA
I like'em! Nice work.

#2183551 - 11/16/13 07:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: pwl]
ajames Offline

Thanks pwl, you are very kind.

I had a talk with my teacher about where to go after Alfreds 1 and we decided that it would be good to continue with Alfreds 2. The music choices maybe aren't the greatest, but I don't find that a huge drawback. I like the steady progression the method books give.

#2183581 - 11/16/13 08:17 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ajames]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: ajames
So I've been putting in more effort on polishing the pieces and making better recordings. There's still a big gap between how they sound and how I *want* them to sound. When I say "big gap", of course I mean "huge, gaping abyss" laugh

Nice job. Yes, isn't it frustrating when we haven't obtained the technical ability to play how we want to play yet. Just worry about getting out of that particular Alfred's piece what they are teaching you at the time. That's what's important.

After looking and asking. I've decided to go with Alfred's II after I'm finished with this one. Partly because I understand many of the songs are the same. Just more sophisticated. More to learn. Then, my teacher told me that III should go to the original. Then, hopefully we have obtained the physiological skill to play as our hearts wish to play it.

#2183591 - 11/16/13 08:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ajames]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia

I had a talk with my teacher about where to go after Alfreds 1 and we decided that it would be good to continue with Alfreds 2. The music choices maybe aren't the greatest, but I don't find that a huge drawback. I like the steady progression the method books give.

Nice pieces you submitted - polished up pretty darn good I think. Glad you have decided to go onto book 2 there are some good pieces in there you will really enjoy.

#2183668 - 11/16/13 10:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: rnaple]
ajames Offline

Thanks much Ron, Earlofmar

Originally Posted By: rnaple
Nice job. Yes, isn't it frustrating when we haven't obtained the technical ability to play how we want to play yet. Just worry about getting out of that particular Alfred's piece what they are teaching you at the time. That's what's important.

I'll probably never equal what I want it to sound like, but I wouldn't mind being a lot closer!

#2183730 - 11/17/13 02:31 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Alux Offline

You're doing great ajames, keep at it smile

#2183918 - 11/17/13 01:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Thanks Alux!

As I went through Alfreds, I wrote the date on each page. I thought it would be interesting (ok, it's pretty nerdy) to plot the page number versus time. I took the actual time scale out to protect the innocent... It's linear.

If you aren't using the All-in-one book the page numbers are different. I marked some milestone pieces.

#2183963 - 11/17/13 02:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Pianobud Offline

If you continue with Alfred's book 2 why not use other books with pieces that you really like as well. I always advise to use a variety of pieces, books, methods. Alfred's is a very practical and accessible method, but there's much more.
http://www.pianopage.net

#2183974 - 11/17/13 03:18 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ajames]
rnaple Offline

As I went through Alfreds, I wrote the date on each page. I thought it would be interesting (ok, it's pretty nerdy) to plot the page number versus time. I took the actual time scale out to protect the innocent... It's linear.

I think your chart looks pretty average. For an adult. I'm interested in your total time.
My chart would look closer to an inverted L . I figure it's gonna take a year. That's with a very good teacher.

Total time means you decided to get it down well. There are people on here who will tell you they wished they spent more time in this book. They wished they had gotten it down better. It effects playing later.

The biggest reason for this in adults is: Retraining your nervous system and autonomic mind. Not only did we not have that sophistication of the nervous system to work all ten fingers individually at one time. We also trained that part of the autonomic in another way. It's extremely interesting from a physiological point of view. At the lowest level it comes down to taking much more time when we start playing both hands.

#2184252 - 11/17/13 11:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ajames]
Alux Offline

Interesting that, never occurred to keep track however I did note the lesson dates & material my teacher wanted me to cover in my assignment book. It took me around 16 months to complete Level 1 but I took 4 months off for various reasons during that time. As I said earlier for me it's not a race but a ride to be enjoyed. Mind you while I was home recovering from surgery I went nuts buying enough sheet music to keep me busy for the next 20 years... whistle lol

#2184289 - 11/18/13 01:30 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
sydnal Offline

@ajames, congratulations and happy to hear your are going to continue with Book 2, the Book 2 thread has been feeling lonely smile

Also that graph is very interesting, I am thinking of plotting something similar. (I didn't keep a study journal though I uploaded every piece to my progress log as soon as I finished so I could use the upload dates.)

#2184348 - 11/18/13 07:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: sydnal]
rnaple Offline

Good going, Alux. You will benefit from putting in that time on Book One. It ain't wasted time. During this time. I also came up with some sheet music. At one time. I was having such a hard time with both hands. All kinds of stuff. Muscles tightening...etc I was playing anything different just to put in the time at the keys. Played something, anything. Also have one song been working since two months into Alfred's. Not interested in putting it up for people to hear. Maybe after I get through the Original version. Recently picked up a Ragtime piece for the recital. It helped me so much in breaking through the barrier physiologically of playing both hands. I think it has to do with the rhythm and familiarity I have with it already. It appealed to me physiologically. I owe it to that recital. Helped me a bunch. Have also played things like Merrie Melodies... I get a kick out of playing that...can't help but laugh when I do.
I think of Book One and remember when I took electronics in college. The class was taught by the department head. The guy had a Doctorate. He said that was the most important class in electronics. It was also the hardest. He wanted to make sure himself that people were taught right.

Originally Posted By: sydnal
Also that graph is very interesting, I am thinking of plotting something similar. (I didn't keep a study journal though I uploaded every piece to my progress log as soon as I finished so I could use the upload dates.)

I just remembered. I could do a graph also. My teacher has written down each piece, every week, in my notebook for class. I might do it also. Would be interesting to have a database of these. Then a beginner can look at them. Listen to how these people play. See the results. Set them at ease to not hurry through.

#2184451 - 11/18/13 10:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
sydnal Offline

Ok here goes, God this graph took me ages in Excel XD

My graph is not time vs page but time vs piece. Little dots denote the end & upload date of a piece so the line segment BEFORE the dot shows how long it took. Since I began recording with the piece "Why am I Blue" there are no dots for previous pieces. However as I know the date I started the Book, I could incorporate them in the graph.

I was surprised when it did not come out as a nice quadratic curve like Ajames'. My graph looks like the difficulty was almost linear up to the Entertainer where there was a sudden jump in difficulty. From that point on the difficulty is linear once more. The most time consuming pieces were Chottanooga Choo Choo, Amazing Grace, At Last and Laura.

#2184499 - 11/18/13 12:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Syndal, very interesting. I was slowing down more than you for sure. I was taking 2-3 times as long for
"Scarborough Fair" as for "Why am I blue?".

Ron, I didn't put the time scale in because its' not about how long it takes, everybody is different in that respect. I don't think it's productive to compare yourself in that way, there will always be someone who is better and learns faster than you. It's not a good way to get your motivation. It's hard for me sometimes to listen to some of the peoples' recordings here, they are so much better than mine. I just have to remind myself that it's my journey other people are on their own. What matters most is I have a teacher (a Professional Piano Pedagogue) and he doesn't seem to think I'm going too fast or too slow.

I just thought it was interesting to see how much longer the latter part of the book took me (and syndal) than the first part. It could be interesting (hopefully not disheartening!) for people who are working their way through. When you get to "Blow the man down", for example, you are more that halfway through the book (page-wise), but only 1/4 time-wise (if you are like me).

I should have mentioned that I did take a one semester "intro to piano" course (group class) in college ~25 years ago. I also have some experience in guitar (and recorder, and digeridoo...) that probably helped me go a little faster in the early part of the book.

#2187454 - 11/23/13 05:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
SmellsLikeABeer Offline

I am on Raisins and Almonds. It seems like I have been in this
book for years now. I would learn a couple of new songs and stop playing for a while return and have to learn the songs I was working on all over again. I need to stick with it.

#2187525 - 11/23/13 08:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Jasper82 Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor MI
I just flew through about 20 or so of the first 89 pages of songs on book one (alfred's)... In about 2 days. I'm glad I'm learning again, I think it's going to have a good protective affect on my brain.

I noticed that I struggled with some songs, I would take a break and just look at the music, after about 30 seconds I could go back to playing and play it much better after having given myself time to reset and erase mistakes in muscle memory.

It's fun to play melody and rhythms that I don't make up myself, it feels like I'm stretching my playing ability even on these basic songs. Plus there are such nice simple harmonies, that you would think would be annoying or too basic and sound like kids music, but really it is a reward to hear them and to create them.

It's funny because I really started making music when I was 15 with computers and things went on an arc from experimental to Really experimental to more pop over time, now I'm going back to just playing piano as my main musical past-time, which is a full circle of about 25 years, 15 of which I have been composing electronically.

I hope the book helps me play better and learn to improvise using some of the songs as a basis, and eventually start composing with the QY and printing my own sheet music so I can teach myself to play things that are more advanced than what I can do now as far as inventing things.
http://jdsy.bandcamp.com/album/solo-piano-improv

#2191222 - 12/02/13 02:55 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
Oh well... I have been playing for a couple years now but have decided to go back to Alfred, this time the All-in-One book 1. I have been playing mostly self taught and without much of a system for over a year. I had a teacher to start with but with my dyslexia I was wasting paid time just trying to read the music sheet and not advancing at all.

Now I'm back to Alfred because I realise that I do need a system and get a better grasp of basics. I bought the self learning book, which has exactly the same content as the Basic all-in-one, plus some bonus pieces and encouragement words, I guess.

As they introduce the notes so slowly it will hopefully help me memorise them better, just as I do with letters. I really hope this time I won't see notes flying around the paper because it's really discouraging when one cannot even recognise a middle C after a few blinks.

I should receive the book this week, and will make a point of starting from page 1. These are great threads, lots of encouragement and hopefully will help keeping me motivated through my problem.

I'm extremely happy I found this place, I can see that people do help each other and try to share their tricks and knowledge.

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

#2191252 - 12/02/13 05:55 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
good luck evamar, it is hard I know to re-start from the beginning but wise if you think you will gain.

#2191276 - 12/02/13 08:29 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
rnaple Offline

You're wise, evamar. Everyone I ever knew who was really good at anything. They were great at their basics.

#2191323 - 12/02/13 09:55 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: rnaple]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, earlofmar and rnaple, not really looking forward to going backwards! but I think it will be better in the long term.

#2205226 - 12/30/13 07:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Alux Offline

Happy New year everyone :-)

#2205657 - 12/31/13 11:50 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Happy New Year!

I'm still working on the bonus pieces at the back of book 1. It seems like those 6 pieces will take more time than the rest of book! They are fun to play though, and I'm adding "over the rainbow" to my limited repertoire (if I can use such a grandiose word to describe a few simple pieces from a method book smile )

#2205671 - 12/31/13 12:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ajames]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Happy New Year!

Just returned from a 2 weeks piano break and it feels like I have forgotten how to make a basic chord! Sausage fingers at their best!

Currently on page 87, Eighth Notes. Notes are introduced so slowly that so far I haven't have any real issue with my dyslexia, it's only when I'm really tired that the notes start flying over the page.

#2206955 - 01/02/14 02:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: evamar]
effae Offline

I just picked this book up as a first introduction to the piano. I've been playing classical guitar for years now, though without much attention to music theory (just learning pieces by heart from tabs). I've had an itch for the piano for a couple of years, and finally jumped the gun last summer and bought an old yamaha keyboard. I hope I'll learn some basics with this book; it sure seems interesting based on the first few chapters!

#2206991 - 01/02/14 04:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Welcome effae! Hope you enjoy the journey. If you can practice some every day, progress will come.

BTW, I found this thread to be a great resource. It's huge, with 188 pages, but there is a "print topic" option at the top under "topic options". I printed it to a pdf file, which makes it easy to search out posts related to the piece you are currently working.

Page 188 of 201 < 1 2 ... 186 187 188 189 190 ... 200 201 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
104 registered (36251, Allard, aesop, Al LaPorte, Abby Pianoman, 31 invisible), 1017 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75969 Members
42 Forums
157106 Topics
2307306 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Does it get easier?
by Pover
08/28/14 07:10 AM
Correct fingering
by johan d
08/28/14 06:50 AM
An update on Ethan Hawke's docu about Seymour Bernstein
by music32
08/28/14 04:36 AM
Tuning the 7th octave
by AaronM
08/28/14 01:29 AM
Some Swan Lake
by harpon
08/28/14 12:53 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission