Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
137 registered (AndyP, accordeur, AndreiN, 36251, Alegretto, 40 invisible), 1562 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 192 of 207 < 1 2 ... 190 191 192 193 194 ... 206 207 >
Topic Options
#2296682 - 06/29/14 06:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Loc: Central Texas
I just recently found this mega-post thread! So far I've read the first 25 pages and the ones from this year. I'll probably go back and read some more later on, but I decided to jump to the front so I could start logging my progress.

When I first bought my digital piano it was with the intention of learning to play by teaching myself. Well, it didn't take me long to realize I would be better off with a teacher. So I found one and it turns out she uses Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course, so... here I am.

In my first lesson we started at the very beginning of the book and covered everything up to page 23. Within those pages, the instructions for "Ode to Joy" (pg 13) and "Aura Lee" (pg 17) are:

Quote:
(1) Clap. (2) Play & sing (or say) the finger numbers. (3) Play & count. (4) Play & sing (or say) the note names.

And for "Playing On The Grand Staff" (pg 20) the instructions are:

Quote:
The following practice procedure is recommended for the rest of the pieces in ths book: (1) Clap (or tap) & count. (2) Play & count. (3) Play & sing the words, if any.

Instead of doing any of that she just had me play the notes. Not once have I had to count aloud, clap, or sing for those or any of the other songs we went over. Believe me, I'm perfectly with that! But it made me wonder, does anybody actually really go through all those steps for each song? I can sort of see doing the counting and clapping, but singing?!?

Overall, my first impression of my teacher is mostly positive. I like her teaching approach to learning the piano, and she has a calm, nonjudgmental manner so I don't feel all tense and nervous, even though I know she's watching every little move.

Edited by Linda G (06/29/14 06:48 PM)

Started my piano journey June 2014 at age 54.
My digital piano: Casio Privia PX-850.
Working on "Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course" Book 1
XXXV

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2296686 - 06/29/14 06:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

In my second lesson we reviewed everything from the week before and then went over the melodic and harmonic intervals, which took us up through page 31. I really struggled with playing the harmonic ones. Partly because I don't have all the notes memorized that well (especially in the bass clef) and partly because I've got klutzy fingers.

After struggling through my second attempt at "Dueling Harmonics" (pg 31) I lifted my hands off the keys, flexed them a couple of times and said, "My hands feel stiff. I think I might have some arthritis, or something." She replied, "Then maybe you'll need to take some Advil. Now, why don't you try that again one more time." Hmm. I didn't get a whole lot of sympathy there. laugh

When my hour was up she checked off some sections as done, though not as many as I thought she would. So lots of stuff for me to practice for the next lesson. Now that I've got more to work with I'm to increase my practice time. I'm going to aim for an hour a day, probably breaking each hour up into 2 or 3 sections.

XXXV

#2296710 - 06/29/14 08:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TX-Bluebonnet]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Linda G

Instead of doing any of that she just had me play the notes. Not once have I had to count aloud, clap, or sing for those or any of the other songs we went over. Believe me, I'm perfectly with that! But it made me wonder, does anybody actually really go through all those steps for each song? I can sort of see doing the counting and clapping, but singing?!?

Congratulations on the start of what should be a wonderful journey. Being able to afford a teacher is a great luxury (some would say you cannot afford not to have one). But while a book is trying to speak to the self guided student a teacher may have other methods for teaching the same thing. They also will not try to overload you where as a book sort of throws everything at you at once. Perhaps a little early for her to judge but a teacher may also decide you don't need to do those steps if you already have a good sense of rhythm. Personally I have not had to do those sorts of exercises and I am twenty months in.

#2296712 - 06/29/14 08:18 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TX-Bluebonnet]
1000 Post Club Member

After struggling through my second attempt at "Dueling Harmonics" (pg 31) I lifted my hands off the keys, flexed them a couple of times and said, "My hands feel stiff. I think I might have some arthritis, or something." She replied, "Then maybe you'll need to take some Advil. Now, why don't you try that again one more time." Hmm. I didn't get a whole lot of sympathy there. laugh

Loved it. laugh

#2296727 - 06/29/14 09:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
LindaG,

If you are feeling pain in your hands when you play, you should NOT continue to play. I wasn't sure from your post if you were joking with your teacher or not, but if you really were feeling pain that is a serious red flag and it should not be ignored. It is possible to seriously injure yourself with bad piano technique. It is very important that you learn to reduce unnecessary tension from your body as you play.

Also, counting is an essential part of playing imo. It is incredibly easy to distort a rhythm without being aware that you are doing so. In fact, even people who count often distort their rhythm (They count in a way that matches what they are playing instead of playing in a way that matches a steady count). So learning how to count properly (it's not as simple as just counting, you have to know where to put strong beats and weak beats, and why) is a very important skill to develop. But with that being said, you are learning an incredibly complex skill and you need to learn it step by step. I suspect that your teacher will introduce counting different rhythms before too long. If they don't teach it at all, I would find that very very strange.

#2297148 - 07/01/14 12:41 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: earlofmar]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Originally Posted By: earlofmar

Congratulations on the start of what should be a wonderful journey. Being able to afford a teacher is a great luxury (some would say you cannot afford not to have one). But while a book is trying to speak to the self guided student a teacher may have other methods for teaching the same thing. They also will not try to overload you where as a book sort of throws everything at you at once. Perhaps a little early for her to judge but a teacher may also decide you don't need to do those steps if you already have a good sense of rhythm. Personally I have not had to do those sorts of exercises and I am twenty months in.

Thanks, earlofmar. My teacher actually did say during my second lesson that I had a good sense of rhythm. So at least I have that going for me. Well, for simple tunes with a 4/4 count anyway. smile Paying for piano lessons is a real stretch for me, so I'm just looking at it one month at a time.

XXXV

#2297150 - 07/01/14 12:51 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: fizikisto]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Originally Posted By: fizikisto
LindaG,

If you are feeling pain in your hands when you play, you should NOT continue to play. I wasn't sure from your post if you were joking with your teacher or not, but if you really were feeling pain that is a serious red flag and it should not be ignored. It is possible to seriously injure yourself with bad piano technique. It is very important that you learn to reduce unnecessary tension from your body as you play.

Also, counting is an essential part of playing imo. It is incredibly easy to distort a rhythm without being aware that you are doing so. In fact, even people who count often distort their rhythm (They count in a way that matches what they are playing instead of playing in a way that matches a steady count). So learning how to count properly (it's not as simple as just counting, you have to know where to put strong beats and weak beats, and why) is a very important skill to develop. But with that being said, you are learning an incredibly complex skill and you need to learn it step by step. I suspect that your teacher will introduce counting different rhythms before too long. If they don't teach it at all, I would find that very very strange.

Hi fizikisto, I didn't say I had any pain in my hands, just some stiffness. Some x-rays 15 years ago showed early arthritis in my back, so I wouldn't be surprised if I have some minor arthritis in my hands. I took up running a 1-1/2 years ago and that helped relieve all sorts of back problems I was having. I'm sort of hoping playing the piano will have a similar effect on my hands. smile

XXXV

#2297156 - 07/01/14 01:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TX-Bluebonnet]
1000 Post Club Member

LindaG,

Hi fizikisto, I didn't say I had any pain in my hands, just some stiffness. Some x-rays 15 years ago showed early arthritis in my back, so I wouldn't be surprised if I have some minor arthritis in my hands. I took up running a 1-1/2 years ago and that helped relieve all sorts of back problems I was having. I'm sort of hoping playing the piano will have a similar effect on my hands. smile

Or it could be that you have never used your fingers and hands in this context before and your fingers are still finding their feet (pun intended).

As a runner you will well remember the first days when it was exhausting to run any distance but with a careful regime you can over time reach "the zone" where you feel like you could run forever. Learning to use your body, arms, wrists and fingers is no different, it is a slow start to begin with and things can feel a bit odd at times. There is a danger of injury if one is not careful, but over time as endurance is built up your hands will evolve into those of piano athlete. Your teacher will keep you right and an hour a day practice is not excessive.

#2297258 - 07/01/14 10:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: earlofmar]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
LindaG,

Or it could be that you have never used your fingers and hands in this context before and your fingers are still finding their feet (pun intended).

As a runner you will well remember the first days when it was exhausting to run any distance but with a careful regime you can over time reach "the zone" where you feel like you could run forever. Learning to use your body, arms, wrists and fingers is no different, it is a slow start to begin with and things can feel a bit odd at times. There is a danger of injury if one is not careful, but over time as endurance is built up your hands will evolve into those of piano athlete. Your teacher will keep you right and an hour a day practice is not excessive.

Haha, a piano athlete! Well, that all sounds very encouraging, thanks for that. And I'll be careful. smile

XXXV

#2297985 - 07/02/14 11:41 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Just checking in with a mid-week update.

I've got most everything under control so far, except for "Dueling Harmonics." Mostly due to hesitating between notes while I'm trying to sight read the harmonics instead of relying on the finger numbers. But I'm also messing up on the piano and forte. Hopefully I'll get it figured out within the next couple of days.

I just realized as I'm typing this that my forearms and hands are nicely aligned and my wrists aren't bent down and resting on my desk as they normally are when I'm typing. And I'm actually (almost) sitting up straight. Haha. There's hope for me yet.

Well, anyway, it sure would be nice to have some fellow level one's in here with me!!

XXXV

#2298062 - 07/03/14 01:50 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TX-Bluebonnet]
1000 Post Club Member

Just checking in with a mid-week update.

You might not get many replies but there are people listening....so keep posting

#2298103 - 07/03/14 06:52 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Jeremy SA Offline

Loc: Durban, South Africa
Hi Linda G,

It pleases me to finally see some more activity in this thread. I wasn't seeing activity a while ago and I was wondering if anyone uses Alfred's anymore.

I see you have started right from the beginning with a teacher, I got about halfway through book one and then I got a teacher.
My teacher immediately improved my technique and my songs are sounding a lot better since then.

I am currently on the last 3 songs in Book 1:
He's got the whole World
The Entertainer (I love this song, almost memorised it)
Amazing Grace

I have already bought Alfred's book 2.

I hope you enjoy the music and the journey. I definitely have.

Started learning in March 2014
Alfred's Basic Adult All-in-one Book 1

#2298248 - 07/03/14 01:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

earlofmar: Will do. thumb

Jeremy SA: Thanks for stopping by. I really do like the idea of having a teacher. I'm not quite sure yet if the one I found is a keeper or not. I have another lesson in a couple of days and will probably make a decision at that point. I've been gradually reading through this thread (now up to page 50-something) and can't believe how fast some of the people went through level one. I think it's going to take me around a year, but I'm not in a big hurry. Like you, I want to enjoy the music and the journey. smile

XXXV

#2298506 - 07/04/14 07:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Jeremy SA Offline

Hi Linda G,

Hopefully my teacher will sign-off on 2 of the last 3 songs in Book 1 next week.
That will leave me with only "Amazing Grace" left, (I love this version with triplets, it sounds beautiful).

On July 11th I would have been going at book 1 for 4 months.
I did have a few months piano training as a child of 10 years old, can't remember exactly how many months. So I breezed through a few of the beginning sections of the book.

To me it wasn't a concern of how quickly I finish but more about how much I want to have the ability to play the beautiful bonus pieces at the end of Book 1.
"Over the Rainbow" and "Singing in the Rain" is on my bucket list of songs I want to play.

Now that I have book 2 I have the motivation to play so many more songs that I spotted as I paged through it the other day. "Canon in D" at the end looks particularly tempting, I think I may ask my teacher to play it for me next week.

I would rather spend my time playing the piano than reading through 50 pages of this thread, you have a lot more patience than me.

#2298764 - 07/04/14 11:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Jeremy SA]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Hey Jeremy,

You're sure not wasting any time getting through level one! I can certainly understand wanting to get to the better songs.

Hope your next lesson goes well and you get those songs approved.

Have you looked into the Alfred's Book 2 thread at all? Is it even alive?

XXXV

#2298917 - 07/05/14 02:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

I had my third lesson with my piano teacher today. It's not quite working out like I'd hoped, so I think I'm going to try self-teaching, for a little while at least. Then maybe I'll look into getting a different teacher later on.

In this lesson we reviewed a bunch of pages from the first couple lessons, and then covered the C major and G7 chords, as well as the B note. So that took me up through page 39.

My fingers are really clumsy with both forming chords and pressing the keys down together. I'm going to try practicing the chords and exercises on these newly learned pages using a metronome. I think that will help me with trying to make the chords sound as one and for obtaining smoother transitions from one chord to another.

For fun on the side, I've been working on "Minuet" from "42 Famous Classics - arranged for easy piano." I've got the right hand down for the most part. Not so much for the left hand, even though they're just single notes, not chords! I'll keep working on it, though.

XXXV

#2299302 - 07/06/14 10:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

I've been able to get some extra practice time in during this holiday weekend, so I've gone ahead a few more pages. Right now I'm working on "When The Saints Go Marching In" with RH melody and LH chords (pg 45). It's actually coming along better than I expected. cool

But before I got to that point I reviewed the previous material and found that I missed the P for the bass in "Merrily We Roll Along" and "Largo" (both pg 35). I attempted to play MF with my LH and P with RH at the same time, but couldn't make it happen. So after some searching I found some information about a ghosting technique and that worked for me. yippie

Wow, I was just looking in my book again and now I see I also missed the P for the treble clef chords in "Mary Ann" (pg 37). So I'll go back and redo that one. I guess I need to pay better attention! blush

XXXV

#2299401 - 07/07/14 06:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Jeremy SA Offline

Hi TX-Bluebonnet.

When I first started with my teacher my progress through the book slowed a little and I got a little irritated on what she was focusing on.

But soon, my music started to sound a lot better. Some of the things she taught me that are not in the book are:
1. Technique to join chords so there are less gaps in the music.
2. Playing melody slightly louder than chords/accompaniment.
3. General dynamics technique
4. Playing the melody more Legato

The technique she taught me cut out any bad habits up front.

#2299403 - 07/07/14 06:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Jeremy SA Offline

Hi TX-Bluebonnet.

I browsed through Alfred's book 2 thread a little while ago just to see how people were enjoying the pieces and the course.
I have not looked at the activity yet but I plan to do so in a few weeks once I have a few songs from book 2 under my belt.

I have looked through book 2 in more detail this last weekend and I am really excited, they have "La Bamba" which I enjoy and the "Bridal March". My sister is getting married next year, maybe she could consider me to play...ha ha.

#2299654 - 07/07/14 08:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Hi Jeremy,

I agree, it's beneficial to have a teacher to point those types of things out. Unfortunately, there were too many distractions and interruptions during my Saturday morning lessons. For example...

Lesson 1: She kept checking her cell phone. Her husband was home, but her year old child was in the room with us so she could keep an eye on him. At one point her husband was in another room talking to someone on a speaker phone. The speaker volume was so loud I had to say something, so she had to go talk to him about it.

Lesson 2: More frequent cell phone checking. Her kid occasional wandered in, looking for attention. At one point there was a loud crash behind me when her kid knocked something over, so she had to get that taken care of.

Lesson 3: Checking her cell phone and also reading emails or long texts. In the middle of the lesson she got up and headed toward the kitchen, telling me to keep playing. I heard her rattling dishes and getting something from the fridge. She came back carrying a bowl of cereal, sat down and commenced crunching away while we continued.

So for the time being I'm not in any hurry to get a new teacher. I may reconsider in 3 to 4 months, depending on how I'm progressing.

I think it's great that you're so excited about working on book 2! I actually already have that book. My boss gave me her unused copies of books 1 and 2 when I told her I was thinking about learning to play the piano. I like "La Bamba" also. Glancing through the table of contents, the song that catches my eye is "The Streets of Laredo." I'm hoping it'll sound like the country song version sung by Marty Robins.

BTW, I saw you posted to the book 2 thread. Hopefully that'll get it going again. I'm still reading through some of the older posts here. But once I get through them I may just wander over into your 'hood. smile

XXXV

#2299737 - 07/08/14 04:28 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Beth_Frances Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Wow Tx-Bluebonnet, that sounds like a really bad experience! As a piano teacher I am mortified to even imagine myself getting up and going to the kitchen mid lesson to get myself a snack. And spending half the lesson on her phone... what the heck was she thinking! And all with a kid in the room! No wonder you don't want to go back, I'm amazed you even made it to lesson 3.

Hopefully she was charging prices that matched that level of non-existent professionalism.

I hope you try again, because a teacher can stop you forming bad habits and keep you on track for your goals. Maybe do a few trial lessons with a handful of teachers before deciding who will be your next teacher?

#2299775 - 07/08/14 08:21 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Jeremy SA Offline

Jeez TX-Bluebonnet,

I did not realise that those were the issues you were experiencing.
You obviously cannot continue lessons in that manner.

I hope you resolve your issues shortly as my experience with a teacher has been quite rewarding so far.

Yes, I have started action on the Book 2 thread again, hope to see you there in a few months?

#2300013 - 07/08/14 09:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Beth: The kid wasn't in the room all the time, but still. I guess I thought it was a temporary situation as she was rearranging her schedule a bit in order to accommodate my request for Saturday lessons, so I was willing to overlook some things at first. But the snacking on my dime was just too much.

I'm familiar with the saying, "You get what you pay for." However, I hate the idea of going through life being cynical, so I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. I mean, can't a teacher charge for just an arm instead of an arm and a leg, and still have a good work ethic? I like to think so. But, to answer your question, yeah.. the rate was on the lower end.

Thank you for your advice. I do think I'll probably try again some day.

Jermey: When I was looking through the older posts in this thread (yes, I'm still going through them), I did see that some people were unhappy with their teacher, but most of the people with teachers seemed to have a great relationship and positive experience. It's good that you found someone like that.

It'll be more than a few months before you'll see me over at the book 2 thread. I'll be lucky if I make it over there this time next year.

XXXV

#2300035 - 07/08/14 10:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TX-Bluebonnet]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE
Hi TX-Bluebonnet;

I had to read your post several times before I realized that you canned your teacher after lesson three. I guess my wife is right; I am dense some times shocked. I think it was the right choice, but it's still a shame.

I've had three teachers over a 25 year span (although 23 of those years were dormant - long story) and all of them were at least reasonably professional. Our current teacher is a 10 out of 10. They are out there!

All I can tell you is I'm also in my 50's, and finally learning the piano properly and making great progress over the last 11 months has been literally a life-changing experience. Keep going and audition more teachers if you can ASAP.

P.S. Since this is the Alfred's thread I'll be respectful, however PM me if you want some details on my experience with both the Alfred's and Faber lesson books.

#2300271 - 07/09/14 01:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Hi Brian and thanks for the encouragement. Is your wife also taking lessons? I ask because you said "our" current teacher. And I'm curious, how far did you get in the Alfred's book?

XXXV

#2300273 - 07/09/14 01:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TX-Bluebonnet]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE
Hi Linda;

Yes both my wife and I are currently taking lessons. And really enjoying it grin

As far as Alfred's is concerned please PM me about that.

Regards,
Brian

#2300281 - 07/09/14 02:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Brian, check out this video. It's something for you and your wife to look forward to. laugh

(PM sent)

XXXV

#2300504 - 07/10/14 12:04 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Barry1963 Offline

Loc: Nashville, Tennessee
I work out of Alfreds for a while, then pick up something off the internet, then I found a book of simple pieces at the library that I learned a few out of, now Im back in the Alfreds book.

Am I the only one guilty of this. Im not trying to be a concert pianist, just learning for my own enjoyment .
currently Alfreds book #1
Hallet & Davis Co , spinet

#2300522 - 07/10/14 12:38 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Barry1963]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Hi Barry, How far along are you in the book? I'm up around page 47, working on both versions of "When the Saints go Marching in." It's coming along fairly well, just need to practice more on the version with the LH melody and RH chords. I'm finding it trickier to play the chords with my right hand.

I also am learning for my own enjoyment. I'm trying out some simple classical and pop pieces on the side, since I do want to have some variety in my songs. Looking at lots of youtube videos, I've found one type of piano music I like is the cocktail lounge style. I'm fairly certain they don't play those types of songs at concerts. grin

Edited by TX-Bluebonnet (07/10/14 12:38 AM)

XXXV

#2300537 - 07/10/14 01:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Barry1963 Offline

Loc: Nashville, Tennessee
I had to walk in the other room and look...lol, page 87. I also have another one from the library titled, easy classical pieces. Aug 25th will be my one year mark, but I also play violin & guitar.
Nice to meet you and look forward to hearing your progress. I think I may post a video or audio on my 1 year mark

Edited by Barry1963 (07/10/14 01:26 AM)
currently Alfreds book #1
Hallet & Davis Co , spinet

Page 192 of 207 < 1 2 ... 190 191 192 193 194 ... 206 207 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Merry Christmas
by MusicaMusique
7 minutes 1 second ago
Problems with the forum
by Peter071
17 minutes 41 seconds ago
A 4ths and 5ths sequence
by Gerry Johnston
26 minutes 26 seconds ago
Harry Truman on Piano Shopping
by Nelsthepianoplayer
26 minutes 42 seconds ago
Silent pianos
by emg
53 minutes 13 seconds ago
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
159998 Topics
2349581 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission