2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 4 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 112 of 452 1 2 110 111 112 113 114 451 452

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
mom3gram
It warms me and makes me smile to read you say that. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
grin

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
D
D
Originally Posted by mom3gram
Dilbert, the first half (of Good People) is the hard part. Once you get that, the second half will be easy.
Yes you're right, yesterday I finally played the first part "well" so I started the second part and it was easier. I played it with a steel guitar sound and it was pretty cool actually. My preference goes to Can-Can for the moment, it's fun to play. It's really enjoying when you can eventually play a piece rather well. It's a challenge. The first 5 minutes of a new piece, I always want to stop and sell my synth, always disgusted by the difficulty and feeling like I touch the keyboard for the first time. But I keep it up and after few days, I start to hear the melody and it's very cool then. It gives me the energy to carry on.

Last edited by Dilbert; 05/08/09 07:46 AM.
D
D
I just finished Why Am I Blue - I had to start the piece by playing the chords in the left hand and then have the right hand join in. I found that helped me get the right beat. Now I don't have to do that anymore and I can play it pretty well. I'm starting LIttle Brown Jug - which I already hate. But, to supplement that song, I'm starting Danny Boy in My First Book of Celtic Music.

D
D
I took my first lesson on 2/20 and I'm now up to Little Brown Jug. However, I had accordian lessons as a kid and so was able to zoom thru the beginning of the book even though I hadn't played anything in 40 yrs.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"Little Brown Jug" for me too. I've got the RH down passably (most of the time) and am working on trying to integrate the LH into it.

Dilbert, I enjoy playing "Can-Can" too, now that I can. That one gave me fits in the beginning too. :-)

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
R
R
Dee180...I just finished "Why am I blue?" too. I did the same, just play the beat with my left and add in my right hand. Now it's real easy to play and fun too. However..."Good People" is giving me some trouble.

Practice makes perfect...blah blah blah - Romolo
D
D
It's really hard for me to get motivated to practice a piece that I don't really like...like the Marines Hymn for example. For some reason, I just did not like that piece. And Little Brown Jug - don't like that one either but will get thru it somehow smile It helps to read the forums and know that there are others out there who, like me, are struggling.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey if you are teaching yourself, then you are always free to just skip it or substitute something else, eh?

I'm having a hard time practicing at all the last week or so. I've decided I'm not going to have anything ready for the recital, which is okay, I'll get in the next one, I need to move at my own pace.

Enjoy!

Last edited by kennychaffin; 05/10/09 07:27 AM.

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
R
R
I actually really liked Marines' Hymn. I don't like Good People though, it's giving me problems. I tried playing "Little Brown Jug" too and that's difficult as well. But you just have to practice and you'll get better which will motivate you to practice even more and before you know it you've completed the piece without error in no time. I remember learning "Jingle bells" way back when and I thought I'd never get that. Now it's a piece of cake. But I agree, it's hard to start a piece when its so hard.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I liked "Marine's Hymn" too. Plus it was short and not too difficult.

I hated the first half of "Good People", I couldn't get the notes right, I couldn't get the rhythm at all, and it sounded awful. It took me forever to get it right, and I still don't particularly like it. But I like the second half. The "call and response" is pretty cool.

"Little Brown Jug" is hard, but I don't think it's as hard as "Good People". I've started playing it hands together and it's slow and halting but I can do it with only one or two mistakes. It may not sound like much to someone listening, but I can tell that it's coming along. It took me a well over a month to get that far with "Good People".

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
B
B
Just checking in, I'm slowly moving on. Up to Lullaby now. I'm not having any pain or numbness, but still taking it quite slow and haven't resumed lessons. I'm trying to decide right now if I'm going to resume lessons, as she really pushes me. While I was mentally up to the challenge and making great progress, my constant desire to exceed expectations was taking a toll on my body, and I'm starting to think that maybe taking it at a leisurely self taught pace might not be my best bet.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Hi BarbVA
Glad to hear you are still here. Also glad to hear you are easing back into the piano. Maybe "your" pace might be best for now...good luck!

B
B
I have conquered Blow The Man Down.
At the beginning it was hard to put together the two easy LH and RH parts, so I concentrated on the LH and when I got a steady beat everything was much easier and it clicked!
I am happy, because this is the first piece with two autonomous parts for the LH and the RH, so now I feel more self-confident.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome back, BarbVA. It's good to take it slow after coming back from an injury. Maybe you can get the piano teacher to ease up on the workload.

Boogieman, congratulations on conquering "Blow the Man Down". That's a major milestone for this thread. :-)

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
R
R
Congrats boogieman52...We all had trouble with "Blow the Man Down"
I know I did... Practice truly does make perfect.

B
B
Originally Posted by mom3gram
Boogieman, congratulations on conquering "Blow the Man Down". That's a major milestone for this thread. :-)

Thanks very much! That's why I'm so happy... :-)

B
B
Congrats boogieman. Blow the Man Down is almost like a graduation of sorts, to a new aspect of playing. When I conquered it, my self confidence in soared.

C
C
Thanks so much Carl Mc! It's great to find a message board like this to help beginners out!

B
B
Anybody else doing the Greatest Hits book find the sight reading on The Rainbow Connection difficult? The fingering is fine, I dont' even mind moving around, but maybe its the 4-6 week break I took, I'm back to having to read the bass clef as treble plus 2, where I was starting to get that down without thinking about it a few weeks ago. That song is kicking my butt right now, not in like Blow the Man Down where you had to train the hands seperately, this one is more like training the brain to read each clef seperately since its not a constant rythm. Am I alone?

Page 112 of 452 1 2 110 111 112 113 114 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission