2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 145 of 452 1 2 143 144 145 146 147 451 452
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Rob, I've tried a couple other adult series - Faber, which I have, and Bastien, which I borrowed from a friend. And I've used the Bastien children's books which I borrowed from my grandkids. Many teachers seem to like the Faber Adult series better, but I found it confusing and really like Alfred better - FOR ME.

I also have the Alfred Adult Pop Songbook, and the Alfred Adult Greatest Hits. I've learned a few songs from each.

And I'm working on Minuet in G, which got from one of the free sheet music sites.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
K
K
I've been using the Alfred AIO level 1 exclusively. I've heard of the Faber adult series, but haven't checked it out. Is there a big difference in the approach? If so, is using two different method books a good idea, or does that cause problems?

I also have First Lessons in Bach. Got it before I discovered the free sheet music sites. I've worked on the first half of the Minuet in G, and have it to where it's recognizable, but I think it's a little beyond my capabilities at this point -- until my reading skills improve, it's on the back burner. I did try a few measures of the second half earlier today, but it's very slow going.

So instead I'm working on "Rainbow Connection" from the Alfred Greatest Hits book, which I started a few days ago. I love that song.

That's right, I could be working on a piece from Bach's Anna Magdalena Notebook. But no -- I chose the Muppets. laugh

N
N
Originally Posted by Gabe
Hmmm, just curious how many are spending as much time here as on the piano? I would say that I may be one.

Count me one as well.

fanatik, this is the only book I'm working on right now. I also bought both Alfred Adult Christmas and Greatest Hits Book one last week but will hold off. When I'm done with this book and go back to review, I will tackle the supplemental books.

Rob, mom3gram has a good point. We are all beginners here so it's hard to know which method is best. I think the teacher thread would be able to help you better. I think they also have a thread in there about this subject. As for me, I did some research before I bought this Alfred Adult book, and found the same thing. Everyone has their own opinion so there's no clear cut. I was thinking why not just give it a shot. When I'm done with it, if I get that far, then try some other methods and see how they are. It's going to be years. Everyone I know that are good with music have been in it for years... 10+ at least.

To me, I'm sure some methods are better than others but practice is probably more important. Picking the best method is only one element of this Journey-Direction; it shows us the way but only PRACTICE will get us there.

I have read somewhere in this thread that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to be good/great concert Pianist caliber. My search also leads to another teaching program online with a very well known teacher, who suggests that to practice successfully, do at least 1 hour everyday. This way, you don't get burnt out practicing too much or slack off if you forget it for a few days. One hour, everyday, consistently so it's not too much, not too little, enjoyable, prevent quitting etc... She has a really good point I thought. Well, I did the math. 1 hour every, that's 365 hours a year. 10,000 hours will take us about 27 years. And I'm generous, it's actually 27.4 years give or take a few months. If we think we can do better than that, 2 hours everyday, no rest, 365 days every year, no vacation, no slack off, no time out no nothing. It would still take us almost 14 years. I'm an optimist so I think I can do 2 hours everyday for 14 years. I think in 14 years, I can practice and learn all the prominent methods offer in the US market today. But who will get there? I don't think I will. The Alfred and the one hour everynight is pretty good thus far. Let's see where it takes us.

Whatever methods you get, chords you struggle with, songs you hate, multiple pieces or one at a time etc... don't forget, practice will get you through it. It happens to me. When you hate a piece, and you can't get it right (Right Hand D7, BTMD, Can Can, Brown Jug... these are the ones I experienced so far), you feel you will quit or worse, you want to break your piano in half. Well, take a break, come back the next day. A few of those and you'll see the wonders of them smoothly under your fingers.

Good day all.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
I'm quite happy with Alfred's. Beats the heck out of the first book I bought (10 months ago now) "Learn to Play Piano Visually". That book was awful. Aside from not progressing in a normal manner, there were mistakes in it. And I, an absolute beginner, noticed these mistakes. I wonder where the editor was.

Anyway, I've been playing The Entertainer for two days now and am pretty happy with it. Again, it's much easier and a welcome relief from most of the songs in the Greatest Hits book. I'll continue to polish it while I move on to Blue Suede Shoes, which I should be living with for about three weeks (an intimidating thought).

It looks like I'll be finishing both books just shy of the one year mark and then it's on to both book twos and I'll give the Beatles Easy Piano book a whirl.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
P
P
10.000 hours of practice...when I first got interested in playing piano, it was because of the piano version of Pachelbel's Canon in D. If I could ever play that song then I will have achieved my goal. I sure hope that moment will come long before I reach 10.000 hours though shocked

I moved on to Lullaby last night and it seems I really underestimated that one. I'm finding it pretty tough, this seems to be the first song where the right hand fingers have to change position quite a bit. There doesn't seem to be a version on youtube either, which sucks, because I don't have the cd. At least I know the tune, but there's a few 'intricacies' that I would like to hear played in the correct way.

My advice for Lullaby is just to make sure you have the counting down right. I spent some time doing that before I began playing it. The second measure (the first full one) didn't seem right to me at first but just make sure you're playing those E's on "and 3".

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
F
F
Got curious and scrolled through the Alfred's 2 & 3 threads and it seems that alot of the people who started and finished the second book wasn't interested in the songs that were presented, but loved the songs and sections in the third book. I know I should be nowhere near these threads but it's nice to see that the third book is a goal to shoot for, that's if I ever manage to get anywhere near that skill level. lol

And thanks mom3gram. I was interested in some other pieces that I could learn that would be near my playing level so I took a look at the same piece you're working on (Bach Minuet in G) and am attempting it myself. Staccato and HT is making me look like a fool. lol

N
N
Tuesday night I was practicing "O Sole Mio" with headphone on as my wife watching "Dancing with the Stars". when the show was over, she was so into the Dancing, took off my headphone, unplug it and danced to my "O Sole Mio" singing its (Elvis Presley?) 50s' version. It was a great moment. She sang and danced at least 5 rounds. I think it's proof that I have fianlly nailed that Song.

I have now moved on to Jericho. For the last 2 nights, counting was all I did. Have not tried playing it yet. My counting is quite slow for this one. I think I have burnt myself out with "O Sole Mio". Well, more counting to come...

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Ok, I think 'Why am I Blue' is there finally!!!! I was told by my teacher I can skip 'Good people', but I might just try and practise it for fun for a bit. Auld lang song is nearly perfect, as I jumped to it earlier. So, tonight I added 'O sole mio' and 'Jericho' to my practice list. Love Jericho, but hate 'O sole mio'.

Alfred's All-in-One: Level 2 - started March 1st!
Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
G
G
For exercises I have "A Dozen a Day" and "Burgmuller, Czerny and Hanon -Book 1". What amazes me is that these pieces were used by Mozart to teach Hanon and Czerny who then taught Liszt. So you will be practicing using exercises that Mozart wrote and Liszt and probably most pianists since have used for practice.

My teacher was quite excited to see that I had them at my first lesson and prescribed several to be played daily.

Designed to strengthen fingers and help develop technique.

Baldwin Hamilton 243
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Gabe,

I think you have your history a bit confused.

Mozart lived from 1756-1791
Czerny (who spent time studying under Beethoven) lived from 1791-1857
Hanon lived from 1819 - 1900
Burgmüller lived from 1806 - 1874

So there is no way Mozart could have taught Hanon or Czerny. You are correct that Liszt studied with Czerny.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Hello, I am Eveline from the Netherlands, and started 6 weeks ago with piano lessons (I've had 4 so far). This week, my teacher told me to go until Lavender Blue, but I also manage to play Kumbayah until Michael row the boat ashore. And after all the scary talk on BTMD, I tried that one. After about 100 tries, I can play it! (very slowly). I have one more day of practice to really impress my teacher on Monday.

I hope to learn a lot from you guys; reading through the last 96 pages already has given me some great hints!

Alfred's book: Cafe Vienna/Rock it Away
Alfred's Pophits:
Somewhere
You are my sunshine
Casio CDP-100
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Eveline! You've done great for only 6 weeks. I'm glad that you've decided to join us.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
N
N
Originally Posted by Eveline72
Hello, I am Eveline from the Netherlands, and started 6 weeks ago with piano lessons (I've had 4 so far). This week, my teacher told me to go until Lavender Blue, but I also manage to play Kumbayah until Michael row the boat ashore. And after all the scary talk on BTMD, I tried that one. After about 100 tries, I can play it! (very slowly). I have one more day of practice to really impress my teacher on Monday.

I hope to learn a lot from you guys; reading through the last 96 pages already has given me some great hints!

Eveline,
I'm glad you joined as well. For six weeks and you can do BtMD already, that's great. I hope the 10,000 hours doesn't scare you, or any of us.

Well, Jericho is smooth now. I plan on practicing it again today and see how it goes. If it's up to my liking, I think I'll move on Overlapping Pedal & Greensleeves.

Good day everyone. I'll check back later to see how's everyone doing. Keep updating your progress. smile

Nguyen - Student Pianist
P
P
Welcome Eveline, good to see the Dutch contingent here expanding grin

Anyone else think the book does a pretty poor job of explaining how to count? It goes over the basics, but that's it. I've ordered Basic Timing for Pianists by Alan Small to help me with my counting issues. I also can't wait to get started with lessons, hopefully that'll happen somewhere in the next two weeks.

Last edited by Physics; 11/07/09 02:38 PM.
G
G
Oops, meant to say Beethoven, not Mozart. Beethoven taught Hanon who taught Liszt.

Baldwin Hamilton 243
Hello Physics,

Where in NL do you live?

The counting is difficult to learn from Alfred's, I agree. My teacher will count when I'm playing during the lesson, so that helps. I am thinking of buying a metronome, maybe I can get it as a present for my birthday. By the way, Pachelbel's canon is one of my favourite pieces of classical music! But in the end I am more of a country/pop girl... ;-)

And hello to all the rest!

This forum motivates me more and more to play the piano. I practice almost every free moment. Most of the time, I manage to do more than the homework the teacher gave to me. Therefore, last week I ordered two extra Alfred's books: Country Hits and Pop hits.

From the Pophits book I can now also play: You are my sunshine and Somewhere. The first song in the Countrybook has the same nasty tricks as BtMD, so I think it is better to wait learning that one until I can play BtMD really smooth.

Eveline

Alfred's Pophits:
Somewhere
You are my sunshine
Casio CDP-100
P
P
Hey Eveline, I'm from Hoogeveen, though I go to school in Utrecht. Yourself?

Well, another week is over and I am on to week 7 of my piano journey. Who thought it is going to be so much fun?

I did not move any further. I still keep making silly mistakes in one of the earlier songs (Lullaby), and as I love it so much, I just keep playing it over and over again. My husband must think I am mad.
I an trying out Chiapanecas and Jericho - slowly, they are coming together. I have to give up on O Sole Mio as am not sure about arpeggios. Will ask my teacher to show them tonight, so I can get on with that.

Busy day ahead, and I hope I will manage to squeeze in some piano practice!

Alfred's All-in-One: Level 2 - started March 1st!
Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
Physics, I am originally from a small town in Brabant, currently living in Leiden (for about 10 years already). Utrecht is nice, too.

Now on topic: when I bought my DP, I thought it would be best to buy the cheapest one with weighted keys, as I eventually want to buy an acoustic piano (but I first wanted to see if I really would enjoy playing as much as I had thought). But now I have a CDP 100, which is fine, but the pedal is a loose one, so it is hard to practice with the pedal. Anyone knows if I could buy a more decent pedal with my Casio CDP 100?

Alfred's Pophits:
Somewhere
You are my sunshine
Casio CDP-100
Page 145 of 452 1 2 143 144 145 146 147 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission