Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
150 registered (ajames, accordeur, Achilleas, 36 invisible), 1794 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 180 of 206 < 1 2 ... 178 179 180 181 182 ... 205 206 >
Topic Options
#2111823 - 07/02/13 08:41 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Daniel Corban]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Daniel, that is how it's done, very nice! And congrats on your first recording.

Now, I have to ask, how did you record it? This has been my white whale; getting a consistent, decent recording. Some I am very happy with, some I am a bit disappointed. After review, my last three were not to the level I desire.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2111879 - 07/02/13 11:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: scorpio]
Daniel Corban Offline

Loc: Canada
The Clavinovas have a native audio recording function. I just copy it to a USB drive, then use iTunes to convert the WAV file to MP3. It would be handy if the piano could create MP3 natively, but I bet the CPU inside is too slow for real time conversion. Is this what you wanted to know?

I flipped through the P-155 manual and it seems to only record MIDI. I suppose that is why you are asking. What do you use to convert your MIDI to audio?

#2111914 - 07/03/13 12:45 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Daniel Corban]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

No, I do not have to convert MIDI. I record from the AUX outs through a recording interface (Focusrite 2i2) to computer. I use a DAW (Mixcraft) to record and convert to MP3. Getting the volume levels correct is the tricky part.

#2112083 - 07/03/13 10:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
UKIkarus Offline

Loc: England, South East
Ahhhh, finally somewhere I can read a few posts on how people are progressing and relate to!

Reading wise I am an absolute beginner myself, I started learning myself by ear (bad habits can be formed I know :() and playing wise my teacher finds me a difficult one... I can kind of play quite a variety by listening and mimicking, I can also improvise and recall from memory rather well but when it comes to sheets, well that's another story entirely :P

I'll be sure to follow the posts in these threads and pop in from time to time about my own progress as I start to see things improve, but it's certainly nice to see that there is help out there for all levels of playing and that we are not alone smile heck we all have to start somewhere right?

#2112462 - 07/03/13 10:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
applejack Offline

Greensleeves
Go Down, Moses
Scarborough Fair

Tough to play Greensleeves when its 106 degrees outside. As far as dynamics and recordings go, I'm not using a pro-level camera and mic to record these so sometimes the dynamics don't translate well. That doesn't count the framing, lighting, etc. Not to mention that I always seem to play 10x better when I know I'm not recording!

#2112539 - 07/04/13 01:02 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Well done applejack, three more down in book 1. The stand out of the three was Scarborough Fair, very fluid.

#2112709 - 07/04/13 09:50 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Daniel Corban Offline

Once again, as I was flipping to the page with The Entertainer, I paused at a previous piece and decided to make a recording. Again, it is several pieces back from my current focus, but that seems to be the modus operandi for me. I struggle with a piece just to get a couple decent play-throughs, then a few pieces later in the book, I come back and play it with ease.

Scarborough Fair

#2112734 - 07/04/13 10:42 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

It is nice that more are uploading their efforts. I believe it is a help to all.

#2113112 - 07/05/13 06:22 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I just wanted to comment on some of the recent talk about people not liking songs in Alfred's, etc.

May I suggest that what people aren't liking is their own mind. Our base mind that is part of the nervous system. It doesn't want to sophisticate. Doesn't want to change. In the simpler songs. That sophistication is happening. That part of the mind wants to reject that. Comes up with excuses. Works against us. When all we are doing is obtaining sophistication of the nervous system.
I'm sure I have this understood. I first experienced this rejection of the mind in training for marathons. It can get so tough. The mind will literally yell out NO or STOP. Ultramarathoners do them to overcome the mind. Later on in a 100 miler. They will experience plain out hallucinations. That is part of a breaking. A person gets broken about 4 or 5 times during an ultra like that. The breaking gets worse. Overcoming the breaking is what it's all about. To go from broken to get up and proceed. That is where the victory lies.

I can see here in Alfred's that there is a method of training. There are things to work on in songs. It is focusing on teaching certain aspects of sophisticating our muscles/nervous system in a very smart progression. If we don't get it. We can't proceed well. That is a physiological truth.
Don't let our base minds undermine our training.

#2113126 - 07/05/13 07:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: rnaple]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rnaple

I'm sure I have this understood. I first experienced this rejection of the mind in training for marathons. It can get so tough. The mind will literally yell out NO or STOP. Ultramarathoners do them to overcome the mind. Later on in a 100 miler. They will experience plain out hallucinations. That is part of a breaking. A person gets broken about 4 or 5 times during an ultra like that. The breaking gets worse. Overcoming the breaking is what it's all about. To go from broken to get up and proceed. That is where the victory lies.

rnaple, unfortunately in January this year I had to give up running altogether (and then took up piano). I had run marathons for a number of years before stepping up to 100 km and then into the 100 mile events before age caught up to me. I have great memories of hallucinating last year after being on the go for 35hr lol.

You are spot on about how the mind plays tricks on us to get out of working on something. The secret is to live in the moment to look for something good here and now and not think about what lies ahead. For myself breaking through the mental barriers and completing Australia's toughest ultramarathon is one of my life's highlights. Nothing seems difficult now and has certainly helped in my outlook for learning the piano. Relentless forward progress is the motto of my old running group, sort of how I live my piano life now.

#2113419 - 07/05/13 08:00 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: earlofmar]
rnaple Offline

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
[quote=rnaple]...You are spot on about how the mind plays tricks on us to get out of working on something. The secret is to live in the moment to look for something good here and now ....

My teacher understands people's problems in learning. She allows me to work on a piece that is way over my head. But it is something that comes from deeply in my heart. It's the heart that provides the overcoming. She also knows that one piece helps me to do the simpler things in Alfred's and the same the other way. They work hand in hand. I'm glad I have a good teacher who understands teaching well.
Look at my signature. Everything there comes into play with this one piece.

Also congrats on 35 hours. Geesh... that's really pushing it.

#2116421 - 07/12/13 01:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Johnny D Offline

Loc: Brazil
Hello, everybody. I've been working on the last 2 lines of Laura, and today it was finally coming together. I transcribed the notes into musescore and then was able to hear the audio playback which helped a lot. It needs a lot more polishing, but I'll probably be able to move on to the last song of the book, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, early next week.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#2116446 - 07/12/13 03:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
1000 Post Club Member

Christmas in July how wonderful and hearty congratulations

#2116450 - 07/12/13 03:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: earlofmar]
Johnny D Offline

Loc: Brazil
Thanks. Would you actually believe I skipped ahead a bit last December and tried to learn Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, but I couldn't get it learned in time for Christmas?
So maybe Christmas in July is a good idea - gives you more time to get them holiday songs learned. smile
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#2118814 - 07/16/13 10:39 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Alux Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia (Originally f...
Hi all,

Anyone else in here indulging themselves with Alfred's Greatest Hit's Level 1? If so what songs?

I've taken a short break from the All-In-One for the past two weeks to learn "Nadia's Theme" from Greatest Hits and also to use it get ready for the last three songs in the lesson book as well as helping me polish off "The Stranger" with it's keyboard gymnastics.

~Alux~

#2118922 - 07/17/13 06:02 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Alux]
Shey Offline

Loc: Greater Manchester, England
Hi Alux, yes I am a returner to piano, a real beginner again! Started Alfred's AIO again! Struggling with the blues pieces ugh, and trying to get to grips with key signatures, so......, I had a look at To Zanarkand, which I had a copy of for ages, but was scared of it, way out of my grasp. Then last week I began to practise it very slowly, a bar at a time, one hand at a time, and I'm amazed to be able to play 4 and a bit bars of it!
Yeay, loving my piano again.
Had a go at Can Can, sounds bad really slow!
Keep at it, you are progressing well.

Just realised, you were talking about Alfred's Greatest Hits. I'm still on Love Me Tender, again slow going.

Edited by Shey (07/17/13 06:08 AM)
Adult returner

#2119625 - 07/18/13 12:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Alux]
Daniel Corban Offline

I tried the Greatest Hits book and was promptly bored to death. The songs just don't get my attention. I think I prefer classical music. I bought the full three book set and I wish I could sell them. If anyone wants the set for a decent price, let me know, but shipping is probably around $7.

I have been working on the Alfred Masterwork Classics. I was already enjoying the book, and then I acquired the supplementary Practice and Performance book. It is immensely helpful if you do not have a teacher. Even if you do, it helps during the time at home. I am now learning even more as I play through the book, and it helps me understand how to perfect the pieces. I highly recommend these books.

#2119693 - 07/18/13 03:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
sydnal Offline

I return with some progress. I am done with At Last after 2-3 weeks. I guess more like half-done since I wasn't able to polish it as much as I'd like but I am bored and tired so I will move on. Here is the recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DQr1Yf3DXc

I also peeked at the first piece from Book 2, and oh my God! It's very very easy compared to the last pieces from Book 1. I am hoping I will have some sweet fast progress at the start of Book 2 again. Also started working on Singing in the Rain. Seems easy enough but I had thought the same thing for At Last.. XD

#2119725 - 07/18/13 04:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
syndal,

That was very nice and brought back some memories of my Alfred days. Particularly like the balance of your hands. You were able to bring out the melody in a musical way, and had a nice touch with the left hand accompaniment. Well done. thumb

Estonia L190 #7284

#2119756 - 07/18/13 05:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
G3ck0 Offline

I didn't expect to be getting through this book so quickly! I only got it 2 days ago, but I'm already up to page 87. I'm guessing it's going to start getting a lot harder from now on though? Should probably order the second one now though, as it'll take at least a week to arrive.

#2119764 - 07/18/13 06:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Shey Offline

Daniel, what is the Supplementary and performance book you mentioned? It sounds good.
Adult returner

#2119944 - 07/19/13 12:23 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
1000 Post Club Member

nice playing Sydnal, no sign of it being only half done perhaps you are being a bit hard on yourself. You do have to love a piece before you are willing to put effort and time into the polishing process, great work though.

#2120157 - 07/19/13 12:38 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: applejack]
cmb13 Offline

I like your Scarborough Fair...sounds great

#2120160 - 07/19/13 12:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Shey]
Daniel Corban Offline

Originally Posted By: Shey
Daniel, what is the Supplementary and performance book you mentioned? It sounds good.

The "Masterwork Classics" go up to level 10 and provide a nice variety of pieces from different periods. Here is a link to the books.

The companion books are called "Masterwork Practice and Performance". They go into detail for each piece, just as a teacher would. They help you find the phrases and focal points of the piece, as well as focus on the feel and sound of the piece from the perspective of a listener. Each piece has a prescribed practice routine and teacher notes. Here is a link to these books.

#2120284 - 07/19/13 06:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Shey Offline

Thanks Daniel, the books look really interesting. I will stick with what I have for now, dont want to overwhelm myself. May check them out in a few months.
Adult returner

#2122364 - 07/24/13 02:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
sydnal Offline

JimF and earlofmar, a belated thanks for the feedback on the last video, I didn't want to clutter the thread.

I have been working on Singin' in the Rain for a while and had a go at recording it today. Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXTjbpNImq8
Once again I'm not satisfied (especially with the ending, I couldn't figure out returning to the original tempo after the ritardando, it just didn't come to me naturally and the counting all messed up) but I think it's enough to move on.

#2123804 - 07/27/13 01:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
mattroilanh_tt Offline

My Greensleeves

I am moving very slowly recently frown
  • Suzuki Piano School Volume 1 & 2

Start Date: 11/01/2013

#2123904 - 07/27/13 06:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
rnaple Offline

Bravo Bravo on Singin' in da Rain!
Now you just need to improve a bit....
I'm driving in the snow
I'm driving in the snow
What a wonderful feelin'
I'm sliding again
smile
Very nice Greensleeves...
A special song...

#2124033 - 07/28/13 12:04 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
1000 Post Club Member

mattroilanh tt - very nicely played just the right lightness of touch for this piece. Moving slowly is how we all feel at times. The learning process is full of peaks and troughs, we have to just wade through the troughs and really maximize our pleasure in the peaks.

sydnal - another well played piece the tempo being played uniformly through out. You captured the happy feel of this piece exactly so well done. I can't say I noticed any problem with the ending, this is how the original song ends. But any concerns you have now will fade as you progress so you are right to let it go and move on.

#2124222 - 07/28/13 12:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Shey Offline

This thread really seems to be really slowing down. I took a long time reading all 540 pages here when I returned to piano. I had hoped now I have caught up with the thread that it would inspire me, but I don't know where you all are! Is there anything we can do to re-liven it up?

I'm on the Can Can at the moment,my previous lessons are coming to the fore and I am catching up to where I left off six or so years ago and feel a steady learning coming on even if I have slowed down, however, I have been very interested in reading about the Bernhardt method, and Graham Fitch's methods of practising piano too that other threads are following.

I want to keep with my Alfred's for now, but I do want a piece of classical to work on, that's doable for me without getting out of my depth, if you understand. So reading about the practise methods has been really interesting. I like Einoudi's music, and hope to find a piece of classical music that is similar in sound if anyone knows of a piece.

I really enjoyed watching "wooddog's" video, of how he is now practising, but he is very accomplished already, so as a beginner, it's hard for me, as I need, step by step so as not to be wondering what to do next.

Hope to hear from someone on the Book 1 and any ideas on beginner practise methods and also a lovely piece for me work with.

Thank you all, in anticipation.
Adult returner

Page 180 of 206 < 1 2 ... 178 179 180 181 182 ... 205 206 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Notebook - Main Title - I'd like to know your opinion
by Dan Oliveira
11/26/14 03:09 PM
Interface Woes
by mitzysman
11/26/14 03:06 PM
In-Car Keyboard / Synth Setup
by Scott Hamlin
11/26/14 02:31 PM
Do you play the piano 'for relaxation'?
by bennevis
11/26/14 01:18 PM
Daily temperature swings
by Stubbie
11/26/14 11:45 AM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159370 Topics
2341107 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission